Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

made 4 hours early because gently caress you

so apparently theres some fake practice super bowl tonight before the real one? all i know is my roommate's friends are loud as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Ground floor

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Sup

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IOwnCalculus posted:

Six hours early, no less :bahgawd:

NOT IN GOD'S ONE TRUE TIME ZONE, WESTIE

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Oh hey, it's that guy ^.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Another month, another 28-31 dollars.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
God DAMMIT

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

making chat threads early is a most heinous offense

unless it's me doing it

then it's Comedy Gold!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

seriously though is the pro bowl a thing people actually care about? i thought it was just fantasy football played as an actual game

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't understand fantasy football at all.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Hi February thread. I went on my first 20 mile + bike ride in a couple months today. I've been nursing / rehabbing an injury. Feels good to get out again, especially at 60*F in the dead of Winter. It should be a high of 30*F here right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Enourmo posted:

seriously though is the pro bowl a thing people actually care about? i thought it was just fantasy football played as an actual game

People stopped caring when they moved it to before the Super Bowl.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

About 12 hours late at starting the new month's thread, but I'll forgive ya.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Beautiful day again today so I went for a ride with a buddy. I huffed and puffed out about 12 miles slow as gently caress and felt great until I got on Facebook and see Cat Interceptor's ride posted. :v:

drat good work man. Maybe I'll get there one day.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
February; a month with 29 days.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I lifted a weight for the first time in over a year and it felt good. Bench and squat are both pathetic right now but that's why you keep going.

IMO though you shouldn't wander away from a squat rack for 5 min and act upset when someone else started using it... I'm not gonna stand around all day for Your Highness to finish using the most popular thing in the gym, and leaving the plates on just makes it look like a lazy person finished lifting.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anderron Shi posted:

February; a month with 29 days.

So the question is will we start the end-of-month bitchiness early, or will it start normally and get cut short?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

meatpimp posted:

Hi February thread. I went on my first 20 mile + bike ride in a couple months today. I've been nursing / rehabbing an injury. Feels good to get out again, especially at 60*F in the dead of Winter. It should be a high of 30*F here right now.

My bike decides to become an intermittent fixie today, and I had to walk home. :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

meatpimp posted:

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss cycle :D

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

It snowed more today. We've been having some decent snow fall this winter in Utah. I'd prefer there be snow if it's going to be balls cold. It's also good to plan on watering my lawn since we won't be in a drought.

My little dude is sleeping on me right now in the rocking chair. Putting him down for bed is my favorite. :3:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I am surprised anyone is watching stupid football when the NHL all-stars game is on?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You are surprised people are not watching hockey. In Florida.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

Florida has two pretty OK NHL teams, more than I can say for Alberta.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I am surprised anyone is watching stupid football when the NHL all-stars game is on?

And apparently Nashville SMASHVILLE is hosting. I should be a better citizen and support the local teams more.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Enourmo posted:

Jaromir loving Jagr plays in Florida, as does Bobby Lu.

Show some god drat respect.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

QuarkMartial posted:

And apparently Nashville SMASHVILLE is hosting. I should be a better citizen and support the local teams more.

When I watch American NHL streams it is crazy how cheap the tickets are. I was watching one game in (I think) San Jose and it was basically like "fog a mirror and we'll give you $200 worth of concessions & souvenirs and your own private box."

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

I don't understand fantasy football at all.

You and about ten other people join a "league". You each create your own team. Yours is called the Elderly Trip-N-Falls because you're an EMT. Before the regular NFL season starts, you and the rest of the guys in your league log into Yahoo or ESPN and do a standard draft - pick order is determined randomly at the start and everyone takes turns picking/drafting star NFL players according to your turn. You can pick who is projected to score the most points based on prior years, you can pick based on who you think is going to be hot this season, or you can not be present at all and have everything autodrafted based on highest-ranking player left available. You pick a QB, two Wide Receivers, two Running Backs, a Tight End, a Kicker, and a Defense (i.e. Pittsburgh or Denver). Then you pick a handful of bench/secondary players who aren't stars but you think might get hot this year, or who you think will be a suitable backup for your star players during their off-week. You can pick players in any order, but the good ones go early and you have about 60 seconds per pick to decide who you want for the rest of the year.

Before each NFL weekend (Thursday-Monday) you select which of your drafted players you want to start for your team. Based on their real-world performance, each player scores points for the Trip-N-Falls - let's say you drafted Marshawn Lynch as one of your Running Backs and he plays for 200 running yards and two touchdowns in the real-life game - by typical league settings, he scores 20 points for rushing yards (10yds=1point) and 12 points for the 2 touchdowns for a total of 32 fantasy points. This 32 points is added to the total points scored by the rest of your players that weekend. All the math is done automatically by the Yahoo/ESPN fantasy site.

So in this hypothetical weekend, the Elderly Trip-N-Falls scored a total of 108 points including Lynch's 32. You are matched up against someone else's team in your league (the Kastein 4.0's), who's players scored a cumulative 102 points. You win! However, maybe one of your wide receivers had a lovely game or was injured, and only scored 5 points - after the Monday Night game when all the teams have finished playing, you are allowed to adjust your starting lineup for the next weekend - you can bench the lovely player for one of your backups, you can drop him for a free agent who wasn't drafted in the beginning, you can try to trade him to another league member for someone else, or you can leave him in hoping he does better the next weekend. Maybe you bench him for someone else, and he scores a shitload of points the next weekend - too bad, you done hosed up!

I've played Fantasy for the last five or six years, and the only year I won the league was my first year when I didn't know poo poo. It makes even the most boring NFL game exciting when your last player for the weekend is playing, you're down 105 to 104 and you just need him to make a twenty-yard play to get you the 2 points you need to win. There's a million different settings the league general manager can adjust that makes things more complicated, but it's good fun if you enjoy watching football.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

An actual, real, first-time-ever-I-have-understood explanation of Fantasy Football

Okay, this is awesome. So, in a nutshell, we are captains for our dodgeball team and pick players from whatever team we want determined by the Mario-Party-esque random picking order. Then each dodgeball captain gets points for a "game" based on how their picks played in real life. Then it's my points against whoever the computer decided I would be matched up against for that weekend, so my fantasy "team" (points) is versus their team (points).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hello thread, and hello storm out of nowhere. 30 minutes ago I got back from buying milk, and it was slightly breezy and clear. Now it's pouring rain and sounds like the wind is trying to tear the roof off. The nearest weather station is about 3 miles away and says 40mph winds, which isn't terrible, but it's pretty windy for the Phoenix area.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

550 Linear meters (1800ft for those in the 3rd world) of Blackbutt timber decking.

Dis is gonna look awesome :D

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When I watch American NHL streams it is crazy how cheap the tickets are. I was watching one game in (I think) San Jose and it was basically like "fog a mirror and we'll give you $200 worth of concessions & souvenirs and your own private box."

It seems like for dinner/movie date night prices, we could go to a hockey game. Only downside is that it's downtown.

I'd love to start tailgating for the Titans. The games are fun to go to, but I think just sitting in the parking lot drinking and grilling would be more fun.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

QuarkMartial posted:

It seems like for dinner/movie date night prices, we could go to a hockey game. Only downside is that it's downtown.

I'd love to start tailgating for the Titans. The games are fun to go to, but I think just sitting in the parking lot drinking and grilling would be more fun.

Wife and I go to ducks/kings games a few times a year. $20-30 per ticket for nosebleeds. Or catch a deal and spend $80 each on seventh or eighth row corner seats.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

Okay, this is awesome. So, in a nutshell, we are captains for our dodgeball team and pick players from whatever team we want determined by the Mario-Party-esque random picking order. Then each dodgeball captain gets points for a "game" based on how their picks played in real life. Then it's my points against whoever the computer decided I would be matched up against for that weekend, so my fantasy "team" (points) is versus their team (points).

That's a way simpler way of explaining it, good job :v: Yeah, that's basically it. Definitely join a league next year if you can.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Locator posted:

Hello thread, and hello storm out of nowhere. 30 minutes ago I got back from buying milk, and it was slightly breezy and clear. Now it's pouring rain and sounds like the wind is trying to tear the roof off. The nearest weather station is about 3 miles away and says 40mph winds, which isn't terrible, but it's pretty windy for the Phoenix area.

Hey, I went out to buy milk (for spaghetti sauce) tonight, and it rained even though no butts were out. And my poo poo was blowin' all around. 'sup Phoenix random storm buddy :respek:

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
ok now it's February

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Geirskogul posted:

Hey, I went out to buy milk (for spaghetti sauce) tonight, and it rained even though no butts were out. And my poo poo was blowin' all around. 'sup Phoenix random storm buddy :respek:

Probably part of the same ones that came through so cal.

Lots of wind, bit of rain. Dissapointing overall.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I also am in Phoenix right now and have noticed the wind and rain.

Radar shows most of it going by to the northwest

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

QuarkMartial posted:

?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Geirskogul posted:

Hey, I went out to buy milk (for spaghetti sauce) tonight

Wat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhw2MaIx1-E
(2:09)

Ton of rain right now. Power has flickered once. I braved the storm to go move the bus out from under the tree in the parking lot. The last two times it stormed, big branches fell from the tree.

• Locked thread