Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Still, you aint getting decent healthcare until the majority of Democrats and all the Republicans are jailed and they are all replaced by something approaching human beings.
Four years of Martin Sheen would work wonders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

There are few things more satisfying than watching someone have a meltdown when they find out that paying $865 for new brake pads and rotors was in fact not a good deal.
I always hate it when people pay through the nose for car work without asking you, then come to you afterwards to bitch about it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrsAdiabatic posted:

Any UK goons know of a spot I can go rally passenger joyriding? Obviously not opposed to driving, but I'm a total novice so the pucker factor might be better if I'm riding shotgun. Also, dope stuff to do in the greater isles? I'm going to be there for 10 or 11 days with a GIRL in August. Still in the early planning stages of the trip, so Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, Isle of Man are all on the table.
Well, there's a few rally schools/experience day places around, and you might get a slightly better deal with them if you can go on a weekday, or you could ask somewhere like Pistonheads if you're looking for a friendly rally bod to give you a run around, I bet there's a few on there.

Or just hire a car and give it some down some country roads.

For other stuff, if you're talking car-specific things, there's always small (and not so small) shows dotted around the country during the summer - for example, Beaulieu Motor Museum will have a Land Rover day on the 7th of August, their Supercar Showdown event on the 21st and so on. Land Rover's factory have a tour/history thing, it all depends what interests you.

Maybe once you've got an idea of where you fancy going, see which of us a nearby for goony meetups.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
People bag on Meatpimp, but he wasn't the one posting a hilariously :qq: hissyfit to the FB group about Goatse even daring to show her face in AI again.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Locator posted:

There are times when the words "gently caress off" are perfectly reasonable to use. Seems to me like this is one of those times.
Yup. If people can't take the odd dose of go-gently caress-yourself, they shouldn't be in engineering.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Jeherrin posted:

Calling someone a 'loving muppet' in Glasgow is essentially equivalent, in terms of severity, to setting their mother on fire.
Calling anyone anything in Glasgow, with an English accent, is a good way to start some poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Advice needed pls

Deceased estate freebie. Runs. So just what the gently caress do I DO with this thing????? Does anyone know much about quad bikes and where I might get parts if I want to restore?

Cakefool posted:

Trying to sort out camping gear for the forthcoming family holidays and our little 4'x2'6" trailer isn't going to cut it. Buying a bigger trailer is throwing money away, they're either expensive or garbage or both. Why can't we get something like the harbour freight trailer kit here in the UK?

Currently I'm thinking build a bigger body on the current chassis. Or learn to weld.
Well, while they seem expensive, they do tend to hold their value well, so a decent used one the size you want will likely have zero net cost to you if you sell it on again later.

Welding your own up is the only "good and cheap" option. If doing that, I'd say you're better to sell the current trailer, and use the money to buy one of "just add metal" kits you can get that have a hitch, suspension units, wheels etc.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I like Tokyo Drift. It's charmingly daft, and they chucked a Keiichi Tsuchiya cameo in, which buys them as much slack as they need.

I also love the Taxi movies. They know exactly what they are, and that's what they give you. The 2004 US film does not exist in my universe, however.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

88h88 posted:

Taxi is great and the humour is spot on too, there were two sequels I think but I've never gone near them. Also when I heard about the US version I cried a little inside.
There are four French ones (so far). They are all completely silly. The second one has Jean-Louis Schlesser both in cameo and doing a chunk of the stunt driving.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Reckon I could get the Chinese company that makes the harbor freight trailer to send half a dozen to the UK with the right plug on it? Wonder how much that would cost, I bet I could recoup costs selling the extras.
Half a dozen, possibly not. A hundred? Distinct possibility.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Hmm. How big's your garage? Want to go in on a business venture with me?

Also, glad to hear Father Jack finally got off that fecking island.
My garage is full. I'm currently trying to work out how to squeeze in a lathe (which is as old as me and my dad combined...) and it's going to be somewhat tricky.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In answer to the original question: Why are meetings that aren't officially important (but in reality might well be) scheduled such that they're clashing with the heavier points of your workload that are critical, and against which your performance will be measured? And occasionally stuff you know is irrelevant, but you can't get out of, yet will still impact you for what you're officially "meant" to get done?

Because your course is doing a good job of prepping you for what to expect if you become an engineer (or pretty much any other profession), probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ssjonizuka posted:

Except, I think you're implying intent when there likely was none.
That's what makes it such an accurate preview of what's to come.

• Locked thread