Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Anyone ever buy new tyres from eBay? I'm looking at saving about 40% overall so it's quite tempting.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

Last three sets of tires I bought from either Discount Tire/Tirerack or Sears direct from ebay. For my subaru, then the beetle, then the bus. no issues.

I'll go for it then, I had no idea there was still so much choice in 155/80-13. There's even tiny AT mud tyres :3:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I tidied my garage up and that cheered me up out of a funk a little. Now I want to be building stuff, need to order plywood and pick something off the list.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Raluek posted:

And, for the love of whatever you find holy, do not use a pull-through knife sharpener.

Get a Spiderco Sharpmaker.

My parents swear by these things. They had a set of really good 50 year old knives I could have inherited then they started using a pull through every single time they take one out of the block. There's nothing left of most of them.

E: funnily enough my dad taught me to sharpen knives properly too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Blocks of dry ice in your car? Keep the ventilation running please :ohdear:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Today I thought I'd say bollocks to economy and drove my panda like I stole it. All 60hp of it :3:

It was great fun, revving the piss out of that little bastard. Then I got to a roundabout and violated commandments 1 through 10. I lifted. I got properly sideways in traffic and looked like a proper twat. Whoops. New tyres time I think. Didn't think I was going that fast honestly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bajaha posted:

Driving like a twat can actually be more fuel efficient in some cars.

And nothing is more fun than driving a slow car fast. :colbert:

So what you're saying is it needs a rotary swap, gotcha.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

There's nothing quite like that feeling of your kid falling asleep in your arms :3:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Welcome to the club! :corsair:

In other words, you drove it like an Italian. Rev it till the valves dance on the underside of the bonnet, then rev it some more.

The Panda has a huge personality and responds so well to being driven like an absolute bastard.

I've got to say I'm into the idea of the 100hp panda, but I just spent all my money on this little bastard. Good tyres should help a lot, but if I could get another 10hp it'd be great. It does like to rev, eager little weasel :3:

I think I should leave this alone and make something else dangerously unsafe instead.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I've heard of people putting Rotrex superchargers on their 1.2 Pandas, and getting around 120hp and a boatload of torque. It almost seems like a necessity if you have the glacially slow 4x4.

Don't loving tempt me

E: ~£5k fitted, no loving way. The 100hp costs less, has better brakes and suspension.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 5, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

The ride is punishingly stiff, though.

Because I make poor decisions quickly I haven't test driven one.

quote:

~20 seconds 0-60, baby.

Ahahahaha, I thought my 14 seconds was borderline.

Though a supercharged 4x4 panda sounds delirious fun...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Stop it stop it stop it stop it

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tomarse posted:

Mine is 13.7 seconds. I'll 'ave ya

How much do you weigh? :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

freelop posted:

Ha! same as my car, though for a mere twice the value of the vehicle I can get a supercharger added and reduce it to 8 seconds

Do these supercharger people do group buys?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

I think I've talked myself into getting a second car - I've liked the Panthers for a long time, and a Town Car looks pretty attractive for a cruiser. Also for when I work for Amazon, since they keep giving me stupidly big orders that I can barely fit in the Saturn. Plus just something stupidly huge for cruising around in sounds like a good idea.

Need space for deliveries? Sounds like you need a wagon. Buick Roadmaster is the only correct choice here.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

stump posted:

I was tempted to go for a classic van, because drivability isn't an issue, but that shits expensive.

I occasionally get a thing about making a cool looking camper from an old van, but even beyond-kevbarlas-levels-of-rusty old commercials are stupid money sadly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Or m or s to display a large, medium or small thumbnail.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

The various imgur apps are garbage.

Imgur coding is worse than the forums, garbage in garbage out.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

DesperateDan posted:

Going back a few pages, but some of the best fun I have had driving was hammering the poo poo out of my first car, a 1.6 toyota carina e. I know I wrung every last bit out of that car and it could do no faster, and I got a great feel for how much give I could get before it went wild. If I tried that in the a4 I would wrap it round a tree, or a lamp-post or both within a day.

It's a future plan for me and the missis, and I follow a few FB groups for people making/refurbing campers and caravans- when you are stripping the whole thing apart, spending a few days learning to grind out and weld up bits seems routine- people make some amazing stuff by getting a transit/transporter/sprinter and spending a few months on it, better looking than most commercial vans. That said, most people seem to wait for fleet auctions of delivery vans or ambulances- anything that might have been looked after a bit, rather than a plumbers old transit he simply let rust out.

Yeah I've seen some amazing conversions, the SBMCC forums seems to be the nexus. I've actually seen one of the vans I read about there in real life, chatted with the guy and he said the only thing he'd change would be starting with something fancier than an iveco, put an old cab on a modern chassis.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If someone edited together all the actual sport part I'd watch the Superbowl.

It's not like it'd be any big sacrifice to spend a single coffee break on it :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I binged on 4k YouTube nature documentaries when I bought my new tv, the difference with good source was incredible.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Moto G.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I need to address legendary levels of fiat NVH before I spend money on speakers but as I spend an hour a day in my car I think I'll buy speakers for mine at some point.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

An hour.. that's cute. :allears:

(a bit over 6 hours yesterday)

Difference being you work from yours. If I had to do your work I'd buy an auto diesel S80 first day. So goddamned comfortable. Acceptable economy.

Most of the NVH is due to the road I'm on, constant droning at the same rpm over stretches of ridged concrete roadway sucks, I'm thinking of putting a bit of soundproofing on the doors then the floor, see what that does for me. I need to sort an aux in as well, I'm missing putting Google music through the car stereo.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Volvo doesn't sell any passenger cars with a diesel here. Even if they did, I'd still prefer a manual.

I know, and it's a shame as the D5 engine is the dogs bollocks. And I'd only have an auto for work if I had a driving job, keep the manual for fun.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Me and the missus went out for an Indian meal with some friends, no flowers, no chocolates, no cards. When the bill came we thought they'd forgotten something but no, £70 for 4 people, 2 courses, and drinks. We left a decent tip.

She wants to go see Deadpool too, hope we can do it next week.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Neither if us want to go see star wars

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I object to Valentine's day because I love my wife all the time, I shouldn't have to pay out the nose for disposable gifts one particular day of the year to show that.

Yes I am a grouchy poo poo.

Where it matters though, I'll put in the effort to get or make something important and personal.

Hilarious moment earlier, the builder of our little three house "estate" has taken the final house off the market because he didn't want to deal with the bullshit from a particular cash buyer who wanted to extend the house and literally make it twice the size before they moved in. Also they wanted gates across the entrance, gently caress that.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 14, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Enourmo posted:

i do and my pc clock is accurate i was just sitting at a table with just my phone

The lesson to learn here (I'm sure you know this already) is that 2 minutes before deadline is too late. An hour min, 24 if possible.

On-topic story a fella in one of my classes back at uni missed a major assignment and claimed it was because a housemate had a medical emergency just before he was about to submit, by the time things got sorted he missed the deadline by a couple of hours. No leniency was offered because he had 2 months to submit and missed it by 2 hours.

As it happens there was a real medical emergency, but if you plan to submit 2 hours before a 2 month deadline you really didn't plan very well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Well through a series of experiments it now looks like I've become slightly lactose intolerant :(

Milk in tea or coffee, no problem. Latte, problem.
Cream in any quantities, problem.
Straight drink 100mls of milk, major problem.
Cheese other than mozzarella, crippling problem.

This sucks, I love milk and cheese and I don't have any other allergies or dietary nonsense. My lasagne recipe has cheese and cheese sauce in it, pizza's with mozzarella only don't taste quite right. This is going to be annoying.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks, all I know is certain cheeses, certain amounts of milk/milk fat sets me off. I'll see the doctor later this month to discuss it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

:argh: I fall to see the awesome part of being unable to eat mountains of greasy cheesy pizzas.

Could be worse I suppose.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thankfully I make my own pizzas. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big problem.

E: literallyafish: that video is amazing, please do the full version.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 17, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

88h88 posted:

Hast thou cold risen some dough yet over a period of several days?

:allears: teach me oh resplendently bearded one

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-new-york-style-pizza-dough.html

make that, put in the fridge for 3-5 days.

I really don't like delivery pizza any more after I started making my own dough and sauce. its like 2 bucks per pizza. gently caress delivery prices.

What's the window pane test?

Also I want to add USB power to my car for dashcam, phone etc. Previously I've done terrible terrible things with splices but I'm thinking of doing it right this time, so do I run dedicated cables from the battery? Should I get a small fusebox just for this?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If I can use the dough to make bread rolls I'll try that. I could only reasonably make pizza twice a week. Though it does need to feed two kids and two adults. Yeah, I'll give that a go and do garlic dough balls too.

Nitrospazz, do those pto's plug into an existing circuit or a spare slot in your fusebox? Because the spares in mine have no contacts at all.

They piggyback another circuit, so I find a circuit that's only on with ACC, then write the negative to any handy ground point?

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 17, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

There's a bloke at work I only saw with a hard hat on for nearly three years. When I finally saw him without a hat I nearly died laughing, which was very rude of me, but he basically had a krusty the clown thing going on and it was quite unexpected.

I'm resisting cutting my hair short because I'm convinced after I do it it'll never grow to a decent pretty again, so basically I'm saving that for when I start to go bald.

Also I've tried pizzas with reggae reggae sauce, I'll have to try again with the cold rise dough and chicken, chili's, pepperoni peppers and mozzarella..

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Just got back from my second week of archery course, it's so dorky I love it. Now I've got a cold pilsner on the go trying to forget I have to be at work tomorrow again. At least the money's nice.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dear God, between that and #takingthingsapart I'm in the right mood for overtime engineering. Never stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My daughter picks pizza apart so we made her garlic dough balls instead, they went down well.

My mozzarella only, not bad actually.

• Locked thread