Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Enourmo posted:

So this space systems concepts class has differential equations, dynamics and physics 2 as prereqs. fair enough.

this professor doesnt seem to have gotten the memo, he's throwing in poo poo from thermodynamics (which I and half the class have just started), fluid mechanics (has thermo as prereq) and heat transfer (has FLUIDS as prereq). and like getting annoyed that we don't know this stuff.

I mean call me crazy but I don't think something with class number 3530 that has the listed prereqs is meant to be a senior-level course.

The real fun part comes when you start a career and realize you're only gonna use a quarter of everything you just listed here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

keykey posted:

this seems appropriate:

Also, get ready to not get taken seriously unless you're already employed while in school: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/01/20/study-finds-big-gaps-between-student-and-employer-perceptions

One of my coworkers and I (we're both MechEs) were reviewing some resumes that my office got. I was surprised at how many there were without any sort of mechanical experience. I don't expect everyone to go out and get an internship with a major company, but there was barely even any "I work on my own vehicles" listed.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

Does that kind of thing help on a resume? Obviously, it can't beat out an internship but could that decide between two almost equal candidates with no experience?

To me it would, but I'm dealing with repairs of 30+ year old equipment. Someone at Lockheed looking for engineers to design the F35's replacement might think differently.

Every halfway decent engineering school has some sort of project team like FSAE, MiniBaja, robotics, etc., so it blows me away when someone has a resume that consists of their courses and working at a bookstore for 4 summers.

Edit:

ZincBoy posted:

There are lots of fresh grads with high marks and absolutely no clue.

This. Saw a new kid (and I say kid lightly since I'm only 25) who didn't know what a feeler gauge was.

Deeters fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 10, 2016

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Maybe I am stupid when it comes to podcasts, but I know Steve Lehto does some decent pod casts, but when I search for it, I get nothing.

Did you try his website?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If you're not getting your pizza from an angry Italian man using a wood or coal fired oven, it will probably be bad.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

None of them were ever good movies, but I've enjoyed watching all of them (except 2). Just gotta turn your brain off completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

gently caress food poisoning. I don't know what it came from yesterday, but I can barely keep down water today

• Locked thread