Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

It snowed more today. We've been having some decent snow fall this winter in Utah. I'd prefer there be snow if it's going to be balls cold. It's also good to plan on watering my lawn since we won't be in a drought.

My little dude is sleeping on me right now in the rocking chair. Putting him down for bed is my favorite. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Getting penalized for not having health insurance is loving bullshit, god damnit I hate america

It's a messed up situation. While running through the prelims on my tax stuff I was owing on federal and state, being told that I didn't get any tax credits for my two children on account of being too much of a successful white Anglo Saxon Protestant only to have the question of whether all members (4) of my household carried health insurance all year, which was a yes. That swung the needle about five grand in the opposite direction. I have no idea what to think :psyduck:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

literally a fish posted:

It swung the needle because as mentioned last time if you don't have health insurance that just means the state is picking up your tab when you inevitably land up in the ICU for 3 weeks because of what would have been a simple infection treated with a pack of antibiotics that turned into a life-threatening systemic infection because you didn't go to a GP because you didn't have health insurance.

Oh yeah and your lovely attitude of "mmhm yes it's a messed up situation" -proceeds to do nothing whatsoever and/or make it worse-

Please excuse the rant (i touched the poo poo, i shouldn't have touched the poo poo) but holy gently caress am I sick of this argument.

…so you're mad at me for doing my part in the system of insuring myself and my family? And paying an absolute shitload of taxes? I wasn't even being hostile about the situation I was just empathizing with forums poster Nodoze that it's a messed up situation.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

literally a fish posted:

I should clarify that I was referring to America in general, not you specifically.

That makes me feel marginally better. Totally aware the system is mucked up. People hate on the wealthy, I don't mind if others have more than me. I plan on being wealthy and self sufficient in life. I don't want to rely on the government to take care of me.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

So no surprise but essentially my words were clearly blown out of context. Dudes I'm just wanting to get in a position in life where I've earned/saved/invested enough money to not work all the drat time just to pay the bank. I'm not mad about paying taxes past/present/future. I've paid taxes my whole life and that isn't going to change. Am I alone in wanting to make an honest living to achieve such a life?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Tide posted:

I started to make a big effort post about the responses to Somewhat Heroic and the ramblings of a kangaroo riding Australian fish, but thought better of it.

Thanks for not. I had no intentions of it turning into what it did. Sorry about the pooch :glomp:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Raluek posted:

And, for the love of whatever you find holy, do not use a pull-through knife sharpener.

Get a Spiderco Sharpmaker.

:stonk: that is terrifying! When I moved out of my parents house I bought a set of Henckels Twin Four Star II knives (as my father before me had) and they have been one of the best investments. They are only hand washed and only used on wood or Epicurean cutting boards. My wife was amazed when she first used them and she shows the same respect. She then had to moderate when my mother in law first tried to use them - and still does whenever she is over. In one way I really love the knife set, but on the other hand I kind of wish I had a good enough excuse to get that set of Shun knives I have lusted after since learning they existed.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

For once I feel like the Internet taught me something useful today. That was awesome.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

sarcastx posted:

That said, we looked at the new 2016 Civic - she's been driving Civics for 10+ years now so it made sense to check them out.

I admittedly am not current at all on the Honda line up but if I was only shown this photo and someone told me it was a Civic and NOT an Accord I would tell them they were full of crap. Every generation of Car X gets fatter. This is because consumers are stupid. When asked what they would want improved on their current car they say things like "I wish it had a bigger trunk, and more room in the back seat". Rather than telling them "Then you bought the wrong car you rear end clown, let me introduce you to a Camry/Accord/5 series" they take a great proportioned car for a given market segment and turn it into a fatty. The title of my E36 M3 is rated as a "Sub-Compact" for craps sake. The current 3 series is so huge it dwarfs a mid 90's 5 series.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Jokes on you Rhyno that wasn't getting gram'd it was definitely going in the wank bank for later.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Noice. The P3 Pro is a good bird. On your yaw rolls if you slow down you will get a lot less rolling shutter/moire effect. I have had my Inspire 1 a little over a year and I absolutely love the machine. I just got a new iPad Mini 4 for my birthday so I am looking forward to hooking it up and flying with a bigger screen than my iPhone 6. Waiting for better weather as it sucks major balls at the moment.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Darchangel posted:

How does that land without smacking the poo poo out of the camera? Does it fold under or do you have to catch it?

The arms go upwards to allow for 360* of camera movement without any obstruction. It has capability for dual operator too so one can fly the second controller moves the camera. Look up DJI Inspire 1 and you'll see it between arms down and arms up mode.

Elmnt80 posted:

So I'm bouning around all happy meanwhile everyone else is stressed out, pissed off and miserable. I feel a tad bit guilty. :ohdear:

Today is a win. Own it. Carry that momentum and make your life awesome all the time. Seriously it's contagious and when you can repeat the results and help others do the same is when you grasp that your potential is without limits. Good work!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Valentine's is a lame holiday. That being said we went to a Brazilian steak house yesterday and spent entirely too much money. My birthday is on the 11th so we just lump that with Valentines to celebrate. It's nice not worrying about a bunch of roses and gifts and chocolate nonsense.

That being said I did get my 3 year old girl a rose and asked her to be my valentine. She gave me a cute little card too. :3:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

The gaggles of eight year olds were not.

People will never stop being terrible.

blk posted:

Ryan Reynolds gets to go home every night and gently caress Blake Lively; how is that underdog?

I don't feel bad for the guy.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

About a year and a half ago I got a sample of some Jack Black turbo wash with some shaving cream. Smelled nice with eucalyptus and lavender. I ended up buying some and it's the best thing to wake up to every morning. Never thought I'd spend $50 on body wash but here I am. My skin isn't as dry and I don't even use any cologne. My wife likes how I smell too. I've started using their deodorant as well.

What I'm saying is nice smelling bath stuffs is good for the soul and I totally agree.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Tide posted:

Awful app keeps crashing on my iPad...

Mine was being a dick on iPhone 6 after this last update. Kept forcing it open and eventually it worked.

My wife makes awesome pizza but I'm legit interested in a cold dough thing. We mix it up with our Bosch which has been the best thing ever.

Not the best for my diet but seriously my wife can bake the hell out of cookies and treats using that thing.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

Premature ejaculation

Poetry. :drat:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Salt Lake to Oakland, drive to Sacramento then back to Oakland to Vegas then back to Salt Lake in one day. I am beat but I got to see some awesome work stuffs and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I'm going to go pass out now.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Wife just paid off her car loan, we're now totally debt-free! Compared to 6 months ago that means about $500-600/mo extra straight to the bank; we've paid off 2 sets of student loans and a car since then. Feels good.

Good work! It was over 3 1/2 years ago we paid off our last consumer debt and we have never looked back. After climbing that mountain there is nothing worth jumping off for.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh HELL YEAH

What's Mr Regular like in real life?

It's just dong jokes allll the way down. :flaccid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I enjoy all of the F&F films (except 2f2f). The originals is laughably bad. Tokyo Drift was over the top and ridiculous but I loved it. Given the start and circumstances they have made a pretty incredible storyline chronologically since TD.

If I remember right there were many people in the chat thread giving accolades to F7 while it was in theaters (myself included).

• Locked thread