Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ozmiander posted:

Yes, but it wasn't actually funny. You might as well have used a "your momma" joke, lol.

Your mom goes to college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ozmiander posted:

Your mom is a BR08 shunter.

This man has the right idea.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Remember kids - Make sure to count all your tools and fingers before and after each project. Other wise it may cause you to spend money that never needed to be spent.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

keykey posted:

Sounds like we're getting ready for story time. I'll get the s'mores and chairs if you light the fire.

Oh, nothing special. Last time I was working on the mower, I left a screw driver on the battery tray. Went out to get the snow off the drive and its just back firing and running like poo poo. Figured the points and coil were poo poo. Called and ordered parts, put in new points (I already did that a couple months ago). Still runs like poo poo. Get ready to replace the coil, and notice that the screw driver that I am missing fell down and was hitting the coil to ground it out and making it obviously fire at the incorrect time.

Moral of the story: I figured out where those missing sockets and tools go. Then end up rearing their ugly heads at the most inappropriate times.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Enourmo posted:

THEY FORGOT TO TURN THE HOT WATER VALVE BACK ON

great work guys A+

oh well at least it was an easy fix

You sure there's not a screw driver loving the world up?

scuz posted:

I've reached my wits end with my career. Nothing within the industry holds my interest or seems interesting which means I don't want to know any more about IT than I already do, and every task that's given to me is like pulling my own teeth since I have no interest in it. One motivator for me to get into IT instead of auto repair stuff was someone told me that the ceiling for wages is much higher in IT than automotive, but if I don't give half of the smallest rat's rear end about IT, how'm I gonna make any more money? :smith: Once I get my credit cards and student loans paid off, I'm gonna go find a fuckin job I like and devil-gives-a-gently caress about how much I make.

Works is called work, because if it was fun, we would call it "happy, oh gently caress you''re paying me for this poo poo?" time.

Its only worth changing careers when you see the writing on the wall, the industry is tanking, or you are so loving miserable you could shoot yourself.

Also remember mechanic shops are not like "Fast and Loud" or "Wheeler Dealers". They are either cold (especially in Minnesota), hot as balls, smelly, nasty places. A transition from a cushy desk gig to a nasty place is a hell of a change. Plus your co-workers are generally more coarse than the average IT office, so if your thin skinned, be prepared. Usually there are a couple nasty fuckers that will just rip on you for no reason other than the fact that you are breathing the same oxygen as they are.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Slavvy posted:

I think it's a deeper level of fuckedness. From the outside it seems like decades of gutting your education system and politicising minor issues has resulted in a tailspin you aren't likely to recover from as each successive generation is more ignorant, unhealthy and politically extreme than the last. Everything I've read of history makes it seem like the USA is an empire firmly in decline and on the precipice of disaster.

It really seemed like it took off around 2007 when the rest of the world joined Facebook. Its just easier to identify the morons and racists. Its very troubling.

This is amazing.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Tumblr and Twitter really enabled the takeoff tho - the sheer amount of stupidty both those sites distribute is stunning are more troubling. Twitter for the easy spread of sound bites that idiots latch onto as well as I'M OFFENDED BY THAT, Tumblr for enabling a whole bunch of special lil flowers that should be treated in a hospital for brain issues. The collective IQ of the world would leap if you carpet bombed both of those services.

The breakdown of the education system and the outright poo poo the media spew have put us in a downward spiral that makes social media pumped primed for any amount of stupidity to seriously take off and generate a feedback loop of idiots. That feedback loop makes social media one of the worst things to happen frankly - it's literally making SA's slogan of "The Internet makes you stupid" true in a huge hurry.

Its ok to have opinions and thoughts. But do some loving critical thinking for Christs sake.

My wife has an idiot cousin that posts the dumbest poo poo - to just set up a quick back story - shes still on moms insurance at 23 years old, didn't earn her associates degree because she failed one class and didn't retake it because "why bother with that", and is shacked up with her baby's daddy (who doesn't have insurance even though he is a "master race car maker"- he welds dirt track car frames) and has children that are on title 9 insurance. She complains about these HIGH TAXES, OBAMA IS RUINING US, or PEOPLE ON WELFARE ARE EVIL.

I just restrain myself from every time she posts stuff like that from saying "well, I am glad your child is enjoying free health care, courtesy of social services"

Sorry needed to rant, I just can't take the hypocrisy some days.

Edit: I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I have yet to see how the government intrudes on my day to day life. I have yet to have a government agent stop at my door and tell me how to live life other than basic living, IE: not killing other people, pouring oil down the sewer, or keeping quiet at a reasonable hour.

Unless your Rhyno, because Indiana.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 4, 2016

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

I had a roommate in the military whose goal in life was to be a millionaire but had no idea how he was going to accomplish it, and was flabbergasted that I wasn't motivated by money. How could you not want to be a millionaire? Everybody wants to be rich :colbert:

Late to the party here -

I don't want to be rich, just comfortable. I just would rather have an assortment of decent cars, a home that's energy efficient and a wife that loves me. Luckily I have achieved all that, so its just pay off debt and enjoy life.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Emushka posted:

Just had 5 days of fun with a 2015 Range Rover Sport.

man oh man it is an awesome ride.

the supercharged engines make it loving move for a 5000 lb fat pig.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

LloydDobler posted:

I have a friend who is the service writer at an independent Volvo shop. I hang out with him sometimes when I'm unemployed, like right now. He quotes prices like that all the time, and I just sit in awe when people bust out the credit card and pay it without question. Keeping quiet takes a lot of restraint on my part.

The real irony is that they consistently beat the dealer by like 25%.

Most people don't want to get their hands dirty/have the tools to do so. Also this is usually the point at the time in the cars life where it needs brakes/tires/basic maintenance items and the owners decry "This car is such a piece of poo poo, I am getting rid of it!"

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

1500quidporsche posted:

These loving jackasses sent out a form email about how our company "just missed" our annual target so we get a reduced bonus that's loving word for word ripped from the email sent last year.

That seems to be the mantra of companies this year. "We just missed our goals, so gently caress you" Businesses aren't that terribly off, I know my work place dropped from 5.5 billion in profit from 2014 to this years paltry 5.1 billion. But if you work here, its like we went broke.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Maybe I am stupid when it comes to podcasts, but I know Steve Lehto does some decent pod casts, but when I search for it, I get nothing.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Of course, you know I went there first :doh:.

I just went to podcasts on my iPhone menu and just searched from there.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Finally some one uses a Randall quote correctly.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Geirskogul posted:

Better than Star Wars

Finally saw Episode 7. It was loving horrible, I would even say that episode 1 was far better than 7. And episode 1 was a loving joke. 1 was a joke, 2 was decent, it just had to set so much up for episode 3 though, which episode 3 was pretty awesome in terms of tying together every thing.

Also, the villains in episode 7 were loving AWFUL. Semi spoilers below. I figured every one who has wanted to see it has seen it by now.

By far this scares me a lot loving more than this . at least the Grand Moff Tarkin would strike the fear in you, the other guy is a loving child.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

AOTC is loving crap when it came out and it has aged hysterically badly since. And if you think 1 was better than 7.... I refuse to believe anyone who can breathe air unassited legit thinks that.

1 and 7 are both trash. 2 was far better than 1.

But I wont win an argument with goons on this. :v:

Still haven't seen season 6 of venture bros yet, why is it on at the worst times for me to watch it entirely?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I work with a bunch of 40 year old babies. Neat.

Safety Dance posted:

Spent a couple hours this president's day morning laying down TIG beads.

Only zapped myself a couple of times!

Starting a puddle on the joint was surprisingly hard.

Nice! How much of a gap did you fill?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Safety Dance posted:

I chucked those pieces back into the scrap bucket before I left, but it was maybe 1/16" or so.

This may not be a groundbreaking discovery, but I worked out that the puddle would make a horseshoe-shape going across the gap, and I could walk that horseshoe down the length of the seam by dabbing my filler rod into one side and then the other.

TIG is interesting because there seems to be 50 ways to fill it, vs MIG is just zig zag and thats about all you really can do. I am sure there are other techniques for doing open root on mig, but that's the way I learned.

I have been contemplating on picking up one of those cheaper everlast lift tig machines for 300 bucks and playing around.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

I just deep fried two diced chicken breasts, slathered them in hot sauce and ate them. I have two more and I think I'm gonna eat them too.

Deep fry a chicken breast with a steak wrapped around it. His will be done.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

Known issue. The recall for Sonata engines came out the same week as the news broke about VW emissions, so no one heard about it.

Do you still have access to the list even though your working at that :wotwot: dealer world? I may have you run my VIN on my wifes car to see if its part of the recall.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

I don't, but my service reps do. I still work for Hyundai as well -- I'm overseeing biz dev for five brands.

Cool, when she gets home, I will get you the vin. No rush, I figured if it was part of it, we would have some kind of notice, but its nice to be sure.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Enourmo posted:

yeah with all that loving cash i have

You'll never have any cash with that attitude :colbert:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

Speaking of college students...

There is one dumb motherfucker in a class I teach today that a) has not done anything in the first 6 weeks of class, b) has been repeatedly late or absent, and c) rage-quit the class on Thursday after I wouldn't accept from him a late paper (literal rage quit, where he stormed out slamming the door... except the door has a slow-close device on it, so he ended up looking even more ridiculous)...

So he came in today, repeatedly interrupted me until I said I was just about to lose my patience, then proceeded to fall asleep to the point that he fell off the chair, hit his head on the floor with his glasses flying, only to lay there for an uncomfortable amount of time without moving. I know he's on drugs, but drat, man, get your poo poo together, you look like an absolute clown.

Hes going to be a valued employee at Fuzzy's Taco Shop.

Enourmo posted:

oh boy thermo test in an hour

and the professor can't teach for poo poo (we spent three weeks going over the loving otto and diesel cycles over and over and over again, which literally all of you can probably recite from memory)

so ive basically had to teach myself and im not confident at all going in to this loving thing

COLLEGE

E: oh and the homework solutions he posts regularly have blatant errors on them. im talking like transposing different units which leads to wrong solutions. at least the hw is extra-credit only.

I hate to break this to you, but there's plenty of dip shits in the working world too. I work with guys who have done their jobs for 10-15 years and still can't figure it out.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Slavvy posted:

Just try not to think about how goddamn terrible nearly every aspect of this hideous fungus we call a civilization is.
We call them "Trump Supporters".

Slavvy posted:

FWIW I think therapists are like mechanics for your brain but they can't get in there with a screwdriver themselves, all they can do is tell you how to use the tools and what goes where. Kind of like when a mate needs help with his car and I stand there telling him what to do without getting my hands dirty :v:

This.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Rick and Morty is the best show. Ever.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 24, 2016

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Cage posted:

I spent a few extra bucks on the dozens of ebay headlights for ones that said waterproof, and I got them today and it still says to seal them with silicone. :argh:

That sounds like this "no caulk drain" that I had to install. Then I read and it says "Caulk around the lower rim". You guys said no caulk, it means I shouldn't have to run back to Home Depot right before they close! But it leaked anyways, switched to plumbers putty, problem solved.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Any one have experience with Eastwood or Longevity welders? Both brands have a 200 amp mig welder that are reasonably priced, and both have 100% duty cycle at 130 amps which is perfect for what I want to do. The Miller 211 is only 30% at 130 amps and the Hobart 210mvp is about the same. To get the better duty cycle in a Miller I am looking at the 212, which is pushing 1800 bucks.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

I was going through something a few years back and this dirty hippy chick said something that stuck with me --

If you're upset about a problem, you have two problems -- a) the upset and b) the problem.

It sounded like hippy bullshit to me, but by god, it's true.

She didn't hand you a small baggie of pixie dust did she?

My wife has me going to church. I don't really get to excited about all of it, but the pastor does give some pretty decent sermons, I would just piss away an hour on the internet anyways, and there's free doughnuts at the end, so I am not going to complain. But anyways, he did have sermon a few weeks ago and it kinda hit home with me a little. The condensed version is

the pastor guy posted:

The world is focused so much on me, they forget about the community that surrounds them. The country is so focused on a single political issue, they fail to look at the whole candidate. The whole community fails to recognize when some one falls on hard times, and instead of pitching in and handing them some bread, they instead choose to chastise them for being poor and on welfare. We chose to judge others and instead chose to forgive. We focus on ourselves and focus on how many facebook likes we can get and not to help others.

I missed a ton of stuff, but this is the big parts that i took away. Long story short, I think we have lost the sense of community as a whole. Can we change every ones mind? Nope, but we can sure as hell be pleasant to each other.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Cakefool posted:

How about you try and keep the one you just got you loving spoon.

I am going to start calling people spoons. This will keep me from ever getting fired.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tomarse posted:

the next insult up the severity list is 'spanner' and then 'loving spanner'

British insults are always better. Most Americans would say "dumb rear end" or something else. When you call some one a spoon, that really ups the game.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tomarse posted:

You also have to deliver the insult correctly so that you don't sound like a proper loving spoon yourself

Don't be such a oval office mate. (this was a rather cunty post)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

Casually order a longneck and glass the fucker. I can't abide a man who beats his significant other.

I like your style.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Previa_fun posted:

Re: That Mitsubishi video - Today I learned "sex spec" is a thing. I guess that's the name for the early 2000s Fast and Furious looking douchebags?

What's fun is if you go back and re watch the first F&F movie it's funny how badly it has aged.

Its like watching the Matrix now. I often say, wow, this was so awesome back then, and now its loving terrible.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Slavvy posted:

It is nothing like that because the matrix was good at the time and if you watch it now and put aside the horribly dated effects, still a decent film. FF was terrible garbage from day one and only gotten worse in light of the sequels (which slowly, painfully plodded their way up to the level of merely ordinary mediocrity).

Should have clarified the effects are now awful. The film isn't bad and if its on TV, I will watch it.

I couldn't do FF when it first came out, tried it the other day, made it about 10 minutes in and clicked it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I misread this as "Lewis Black" and now I want an F&F movie shot from a dashcam perspective with him yelling at other drivers for 3 hours.

Oh god, I am so in for this.

"HEY FUCKWIT, USE YOUR loving TURN SIGNAL WHEN YOUR GOING TO ROLL YOUR CAR!!!!"

• Locked thread