Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Get some fish and chips at Piccadilly on the Canadian side, it's the best I've had (although I live far away from the sea so what do I know).

Night time they light up the falls and it looks pretty, most of the place is tourist traps but there's some gems. If you feel like seeing some crazy birds, the bird kingdom is cheap and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Driving like a twat can actually be more fuel efficient in some cars.

And nothing is more fun than driving a slow car fast. :colbert:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

ZincBoy posted:

There are lots of fresh grads with high marks and absolutely no clue.

I'm still astounded how some of these people made it to the final year of EE without knowing how to build the simplest circuits on a breadboard. JUST HOW!?!?

And in a similar vein, I landed my current job/career because of my Baja project. As a student without any relevant EE experience, I threw it on the bottom of my resume and it piqued their interest. Got the interview, apparently conveyed well enough that I'm competent and willing to learn, impressed them enough working over the summer that I've got a contract signed for when I graduate later this spring.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How simple we talking? I can blink a light and follow a schematic, can I pretend to be an EE up until the point where I open my mouth and suggest writing good software?

I've seen 'peers' struggle with many types of circuits and problems, usually I figure it's because they relied on their lab partners to actually get poo poo done and just coasted through the labs, statistically you'd think that eventually these resistant learners would end up in a group together then they'd maybe learn a little, but maybe not. Commonly I'd see things like giant rats nests of wiring protruding from the breadboards with connections all shifted over by one, unpowerd IC's, long leads on through-hole components creating unwanted connections because they weaved a bunch of components across each other, and order of magnitude errors with component selection. There is very little understanding of parasitic capacitance, or component specifications, or how to read a spec sheet.

But this most recent case made my head explode was them failing to properly design and build a FIRST ORDER RC LOW PASS FILTER to filter the output from an microcontroller working as an arbitrary waveform generator . ITS TWO GODDAMN COMPONENTS and they know what frequency range their generated signal should be in. This is like first year high school stuff.

I can't make this poo poo up.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Phone posted:

Found up the street from me in the neighborhood, no idea what happened

Typical WRX driver spotted.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Star wars was great, it's not groundbreaking but it was enjoyable and definitely got the star wars feel. It could have been a lot worst, and it's got me excited for the next ones.

Deadpool is perfect. The wife and I liked it so much when we went to see it yesterday we're seeing it again in a few hours to try and catch more of the background stuff.

All the assigned seating theaters are pretty much sold out with only one or two seats scattered around, so for the first time in like a decade we're going to a movie without assigned seating.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

goatse guy posted:

I'm finally getting my Elantra back on Monday after having it in the shop for over a month for a new engine. I'll be relieved to get it back so that I can stop buying temporary park passes for my loaner vehicles every time I want to hike.

They don't use one of those hanging-from-the-rearview placards for park passes? Seems kinda dumb to tie a park pass to a single vehicle. What if you have multiple cars you drive regularly, you have to buy a separate pass for each one?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

glyph posted:

Too bad you're in dropbear country, a buddy of mine from high school has been running this project for a couple years now and has a weird fetish for old spray cans.

http://capmatchescolor.com

Pretty sure he's from the land of the free and home of the brave morbidly obese :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Chipped cards are more secure than just swipe and signature.If someone really wants to steal your card and use it, it's possible since the system isn't fool-proof, but the chip makes it much harder to just steal a card and start using it (especially since it's not as simple as just cloning a mag strip). The RFID payment is usually limited between $50 - $100 depending on retailer as well, so in the event that your card gets physically stolen, the damage is limited before either you call it in or your bank's fraud detection kicks in, as long as you have a decently secure pin. And even with the RFID transactions, it'll ask for a pin randomly as an anti-theft measure.

Wiki's got a decent summary of the differences and the main arguments for why chip cards are considered more secure. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV

Canada's had it for years now, get with program USA.

• Locked thread