Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
The steak sandwich i ordered from the hotel bar last night was so good i decided to order it again tonight except its come out at half the size as before. If i was a massive oval office i'd probably complain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Cage posted:

Sorry but :thurman: says otherwise. :smug:

Lol this payoff was better than expected

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

scuz posted:

groked

Why do you say this?

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I've read the book, I know what the word means.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Terrible Robot posted:

Why do you care what word someone uses.

I know it's your Thing, to ask seemingly innocuous questions and then pretend to be confused when you get the answer you were looking for, so I'm not even sure why I'm responding to you.

Scuz answered my question, that's fine. It's the other idiots falling over themselves to answer the question I didn't ask I was responding to.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
American football is bad

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

scuz posted:

Jesus christ, who would replace a CV boot when the whole half axle is only $20 more and 90% less loving work?

https://youtu.be/H1lxrkDgbrg

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
im gay

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You could always just go full 14 INCH and smoke everything you see. It'll throw the drug test off so much it will probably just return "maybe not even piss I dunno?"

This has always amazed me how SAC, AI's resident punching bag, constantly gets tons of abuse for a bit of recreational drug taking, whereas 14 inch, a literal meth addict, is treated as some kind of papal saint or something ijdgi

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

scuz posted:

He's not though? :shrug:

Wait seriously? I thought it was heavily implied that he was.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Im glad they finally made a comic book movie for adults

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Rochelle Rochelle: A young girls strange, erotic journey from milan to minsk

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Oh I do love a good Enourmo meltdown

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Ferremit posted:

Thats why they invented nail clippers or in a pinch, side cutters.

Claw my couch with your demented little stump claws now you bastards.

Lol you're a real cool guy

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I don't understand this notion that some people have itt that they can't be happy cuz of all the "bad poo poo" happening in the world. What "bad poo poo" are people talking about exactly??

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

KozmoNaut posted:

Whoo boy, that's a big one.

War, corporate greed, the environment being systematically hosed over, corruption, poverty, hatred, racism, the list goes on and on.

Closest to home, we currently have our minister for the environment, who has supplied falsified measurement data on the environmental impact of farming and fertilizers etc. to the government, and is known to be deeply involved in various farming lobby organizations, but the prime minister has just re-affirmed his unwavering 100% trust in her ability to be completely objective. The whole government is composed of corrupt corporate pawns and racist bordeline nazi scumbags.

And they got voted in, not in spite these facts, but because of them, as they have successfully convinced large parts of the population that brown people are inherently evil and are coming to take ARE JERBS and ARE WHITE WIMMEN.

It's depressing as gently caress.

Okay I agree that those are all bad, worrying things, but they're all largely out of your control. What benefit do you gain from having them affect your happiness?

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

KozmoNaut posted:

Because they collectively make the world shittier for everyone, including me and everyone I care about.

Being completely powerless to change any of it just makes it even more depressing.

Meanwhile, a small handful of crazy-wealthy fuckers are just sitting at the top of the pile, looking down at everyone and laughing at the peasants bickering among themselves.

You haven't answered my question. I asked you what you gain from being depressed. Believe it or not but baring some sort of mental illness, somewhere along the lines you've made a choice to be depressed. And I don't believe human beings make decisions, whether conscious or unconscious ones, without some sort of percieved benefit to themselves. So, what have you gained?

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

KozmoNaut posted:

So what you're proposing is that I become willfully ignorant, in order to be happy?

I'm depressed because it's real and because I'm not interested in deluding myself.

But I guess it's working out pretty well for you?

Im not proposing anything. Personally, I recognise and worry about the same things you do, however I have nothing to gain from being depressed about it, so I'm not.

I recognise that I am powerless to affect the greater issues but I also recognise that it is unrealistic to expect otherwise. I am not under any delusion about the state of the world and my role in it nor am I willfully ignorant. I suspect that in your efforts to remain undeluded you have in fact succumbed to it.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

literally a fish posted:

Also, holy poo poo, "i don't believe human beings make decisions without some perceived benefit to themselves"? Dude, what the gently caress? Literally millions of people make loving stupid choices despite KNOWING they are the wrong choice every single day. My god. Shut the gently caress up.

Knowing that a certain choice might be "the wrong one" doesn't preclude the fact that there are benefits to making such a choice despite how real or imagined they may be. There is always a logic, however misguided, to people's bad decisions

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

KozmoNaut posted:

No, I think the problem is that I have no filter.

E: It was a huge step for me to remove all my general news site RSS feeds and cut back to only tech sites and music news. That cut down on the noise a little bit, but it's pretty drat hard to avoid news updates altogether.

You still haven't answered my original question

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
An important part of living mindfully is being able to make the distinction between thoughts and feelings. You have little control over your thoughts, whereas you have total control over your feelings. If the thought "the whole world is poo poo" enters your head and makes you feel bad, you need to be able to ask yourself why does this thought make me feel bad and is feeling bad an appropriate and measured response to this thought? Only then will you be able to take right action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Tomarse posted:

CHOCOLATE THAT TASTES LIKE poo poo

American chocolate is really bad. Hersheys tastes like vomit

• Locked thread