Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Looks like the PI that runs my home automation poo poo got hacked while I was away last week and now my ISP have turned my internet off for what it was doing (and now wont turn it back on until 9am tommorrow :( ). I got a lovely warning email yesterday saying something on my IP was trying to telnet to lots of addresses.

Now stealing next doors wifi so that I can get some work done, and work out how to reinstall the thing.

Not sure how to check what has been done to it, so I guess its time for a flatten and reinstall.

I have a full backup of it from a month or so ago (and backups of all the important files from last night that I could restore if needed). Not sure how I know if the full backup I have is un-tainted though?.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Safety Dance posted:

Don't put your Pi on the open Internet. That's a recipe for sadness.

Flatten and reinstall everything, then copy over your config files from the backup.

If you must remotely administer your home automation box, use NAT to to forward yourPi:22 to yourIPAddress:SomeRandomPortNumber and turn off password authentication. Key-based authentication only.

It only has 2 ports open via NAT - 8080 (which is a web front end with a password that I want to use remotely), and PI:22 was already coming in via external port 222. Have now turned off the SSH rule.

Just moved it to my desk (and off the network) and it wont even boot now. looks like the SD card isnt happy.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Safety Dance posted:

Might be that someone found an exploit for your web frontend that allows arbitrary code execution or something. That's still a potential attack vector.

looks like it might have just been 'hacked' because the root account was enabled and had a default password and someone found my SSH port.

I am a linux beginner (I pretty much solely work with Windows stuff) and had assumed that the root account was disabled for any sort of interactive logon (raspbian makes you use a 'pi' account) - but when I restored my backup from around Christmas I could see a previous logon by root from a few days earlier on a remote IP - and could ssh to it myself as root and it has a generic default password.

I am now reinstalling it and shall take note of the lessons I have learnt this time and shall move any NAT rules onto more random ports, and enable SSH key based auth (and sort out the root account!).

Amusingly, I spend far too much time at work hacking windows devices (often using default passwords which are not strong in education systems!) and one of my jobs for the next few weeks is to finish writing a script that attempts to brute force passwords on all the windows servers, various common windows services and switches inside the corporate network of one of my clients (with permission!)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

mariooncrack posted:

That sounds like a lot of fun. I would love to be able to get a job like that.

If you're interested in learning more about Linux hacking, you can probably use Kali Linux. It's a Linux distro dedicated to pen testing. Might be useful to you.
Kali linux looks interesting! I shall give it a go at some point

My actual work isnt that exciting - I just seem to end up doing loads of entire network migrations, and often get a network dumped in my lap with no support staff left or admin credentials handed over.

If I have physical server access - within 5-10 minutes I can get admin credentials on a windows domain and get into the standard UK educational MIS/HR and finance systems.

quote:

It's probably easier than you think.

Yeah it is. So many things have default passwords.

88h88 posted:

I used to live with someone who had a $600 a month weed habit. She was perma-stoned pretty much which was how she was when we met so I knew no different. As for time wasting, she spent a lot of time baking whilst stoned which wasn't a bad thing.

Surely the correct description is 'baking whilst baked'

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

Ahahahaha, I thought my 14 seconds was borderline.

Though a supercharged 4x4 panda sounds delirious fun...

Mine is 13.7 seconds. I'll 'ave ya

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

How much do you weigh? :v:

I suspect more than you, so thats my 0.3 second advantage gone!

Having just checked how much my car weighs, when I'm in it I am almost exactly 10% of the gross vehicle weight. Probably over 10% if I've not had a poo poo that morning.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Decided to go for a walk with a couple of friends and their daughter today. Ended up being a lot longer than my guestimate from a 2min look at the map last night, and despite the fact that it has started drying out in the UK over the last week some fields were still muddy quagmires with ankle depth mud in places.

The 9 1/2 year old managed 11 miles in adverse conditions without complaint :) even after the part where it took 3 of us to extract her out of the middle of a lake of mud and cow poo poo where she was stuck solid!

Raluek posted:

If he's threatening to beat your rear end, it sounds like you're thinking more about the future of his son than he is.

Yeah. Sounds heartless but its not your problem. If he is poo poo at his job and also threatening you then you should let him go. Or talk to him formally (along with your boss) and give him one chance (assuming you haven't already!), and then get rid of him if he fucks up again. Just make sure it doesn't end up as lots of chances.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Life without milk and cheese would not be worth living!

I need to actually spend more than 2 days at home so I can make some of your proper pizza dough.

By the end of next week I am going to be at the grand total of 4 nights at home over the last 4 weeks.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

:allears: teach me oh resplendently bearded one

He did an illustrated step by step guide sometime last year in a previous chat thread!

edit - I've got it saved as a PDF and one of your posts is right above it! - https://www.dropbox.com/s/qc8nnw6swvxv83h/Tasty%20Pizza.pdf?dl=0

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 17, 2016

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

KozmoNaut posted:

Sludge isn't my primary preference, but they sound pretty good. And metal shows are always fun, some just require more beer than others.

This is also my stance on metal shows :)

I do however dream of a metal show where it isn't quite so loud and they have a few seats somewhere at the back/round the edge so you can sit down for a bit sometimes. I am becoming an old man...

Rhyno posted:

Yeah I foolishly thought that 37 year old Rhyno could hang like 25 year old Rhyno. I haven't puked on my birthday in 16 years.

I have just been away on a mates stag weekend and managed to not be sick or overly hungover despite how much I drank. I am not sure how since I am usually bad after a night out now. Did a lot of walking between pubs rather than sitting in one place - maybe that is the key?

Pham Nuwen posted:

Wife just paid off her car loan, we're now totally debt-free! Compared to 6 months ago that means about $500-600/mo extra straight to the bank; we've paid off 2 sets of student loans and a car since then. Feels good.

Well done! - Now go buy a house....

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Tonight I managed to set off a car alarm in a multi-storey car park using the power of my exhaust. In a 1.0 3cyl Toyota. I had the window down at the time - it sounded like a real car!

I guess this means that it has now progressed from 'sounding sporty' to 'proper hosed', and I should probably fix it..

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

KozmoNaut posted:

I can't remember the last time I was truly happy and content with the world. Probably back when I was like 5 years old or something, and I thought the world wasn't a horribly complicated pile of steaming poo poo.

The only thing that stirs my feelings in a big way or gets me even moderately close to happiness is music. Preferably very angry and very loud music. Drown out the world.

Music works exactly the same for me too. A couple of beers and a loud gig makes me happy and content for the duration!

I've been to see Enter Shikari tonight in a small, sweaty venue in Wales. was great fun :)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

meatpimp posted:

Exactly. As implemented in the US, chipped cards just take more time without providing any additional security, except perhaps making skimmers obsolete.

Your banks are strange.

75% of my purchases over in the UK are now not even chip and pin but contactless (against any of my bank debit/credit cards which all do it). Its quicker and easier than cash.

Are things like Apple Pay not starting to be used in the US now? are your banks just not going to bother making any effort and just let people move to contactless using their phones?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I am going to start calling people spoons. This will keep me from ever getting fired.

the next insult up the severity list is 'spanner' and then 'loving spanner'

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

BrokenKnucklez posted:

British insults are always better. Most Americans would say "dumb rear end" or something else. When you call some one a spoon, that really ups the game.

You also have to deliver the insult correctly so that you don't sound like a proper loving spoon yourself

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

88h88 posted:

Eating these because easter is about Jesus laying delicious chocolate eggs. The American Kraft merger has yet to ruin the chocolate in these so they're pretty much the only decent thing Cadburys make any more.

The smell when you open a bag is only rivaled by empty Tic Tac containers. :allears:

I am still in mourning for the creme egg :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

88h88 posted:

I've still not had one of the new ones and I don't think I'll bother. How bad are they?

Its not like its going to kill you or anything but yeah - don't bother. The experience will taint all your memories of how good they used to be and make you sad.

Just imagine eating a tasty cream egg - but then replace all the nice chocolate with poo poo chocolate.

Geirskogul posted:

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CREME EGG!?

CHOCOLATE THAT TASTES LIKE poo poo

• Locked thread