Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I just want to see a Bernie/Trump showdown if for any reason than to sit back and enjoy the ensuing poo poo storm that would be bound to happen during election season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Dang, this is a magic morning. The president of our college got let go at a closed session board meeting last night and the director of our building was named interim president so my boss moved up to director and I moved into my bosses position. Hello 6 months of 50% pay raise!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

bolind posted:

I just got word that my boss quit today. He represents 70% of all core knowledge about our rather narrow niche. This leads me to believe that my company is not very smart, as the smart thing to do would have been to keep him happy as a pig in poo poo.

My wife describes my boss as Milton from Office Space. Needless to say in a state ran environment, people tend to fail upwards. I already have 1/2 a foot out the door of this place anyway, so I suspect this is their way of trying to keep me? I don't really know their end game since inmates run the asylum. I'm expecting an offer in the next week or two for another job, so I'll have to play this one by ear since the job I'm waiting on the offer from initially pays more, but after 5 years doesn't and my work history thus far is staying at an organization for at least 6 years.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

People hate on the wealthy, I don't mind if others have more than me. I plan on being wealthy and self sufficient in life. I don't want to rely on the government to take care of me.

There's nothing wrong with that at all, even though that thought process has somehow been demonized in the past 10-15 years. I'd rather be a have than a have not. If someone says they'd rather be a have not, I'd say you're looking at a lying sack of poo poo. Money is a gateway to security and Independence.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Remember kids - Make sure to count all your tools and fingers before and after each project. Other wise it may cause you to spend money that never needed to be spent.

Sounds like we're getting ready for story time. I'll get the s'mores and chairs if you light the fire.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Cakefool posted:

There's nothing quite like that feeling of your kid falling asleep in your arms :3:

Especially if they have colic. But that's more of a "thank god it's over" feeling. Past colic though, yeah, I agree with this threads sentiment.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

SoCal weather report: sitting in t-shirt, basketball shorts, no socks, all windows in the house open and it's 9pm. Ain't february a nice month?

400 miles north of you, we're into that kind of weather in the day and pants/jackets at night. Give us another month, we'll catch up.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

As dumb as FL is, I've met more batshit loony right wing people in CA than I ever did in TX or FL.

In all honesty, we have bat poo poo insane people on both sides here. If you are in the central valley, bat poo poo right wing. If you're in the bay area/socal you run into batshit left wing. There are certain pockets of batshit right wing in bay/socal but you encounter it in more affluent areas.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

Oh, very much agreed. I just happen to live in an enclave of the batshit not rich but act like they are right wing.

Also, I just had groceries delivered for the first time ever. That feels loving weird.

I work in the a bastion of left wing politics, a California community college, and even we have a weird political divide. Full time classified/faculty/management have health/dental/vision benefits, adjunct faculty/part time classified do not. Ever since the ACA kicked in and increasingly so with higher fines per year, the part timers are increasingly more right wing because health care is no longer a choice and many make over what would be taken care of by covered CA. It's a serious mind gently caress to watch in action as they come to terms with their new found thinking that maybe there is a middle ground to be struck.

Unfortunately, most other people in both directions still have their heads up their asses and believe in the too big to fail philosophy and hemorrhage cash. Fun fact, at 1 time we had a 12 million dollar surplus then economy went south and places with surplus funds were forced to distribute their surplus funds to other places that didn't know how to handle money.. Ours went to UC Berkeley. Congrats Berkeley, you were the largest poo poo lords with the worst money handling abilities, maaaaaaan!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I dropped my note 3 in water and started having water fuckery issues that escalated for 4 months.. I was looking at new phones, but opted to just replace the motherboard in mine for $80. Long story short, you can get note 3's unlocked for about $180 and I honestly haven't ran into any performance issues, water droppage withstanding. The stylus comes in handy with paperless billing as well which I didn't think about before I bought it, but worked out anyway. Also it's nice to be able to mute tv's in restaurants.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Deeters posted:

The real fun part comes when you start a career and realize you're only gonna use a quarter of everything you just listed here.

this seems appropriate:

Also, get ready to not get taken seriously unless you're already employed while in school: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/01/20/study-finds-big-gaps-between-student-and-employer-perceptions

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BloodBag posted:

The worst part right now is the loving Sanders echo chamber. I didn't care about him before, but now I loving hate him and his fanbase.

A person I work with has a "feel the Bern" sticker on her honda. It's been stolen 2 times in the last 3 months. Everybody gives her poo poo for getting pissed off on grounds that she needs to check her white privilege since her wealth is simply being redistributed to the less fortunate. She doesn't think it's amusing.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

During Obama's first campaign there were daily reports of vandalized cars and the common factor ended up being "Change" stickers.

Classy.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Finally caved and saw The Revenant last night. I've never been so bored in my life. Somehow a 2.5 hour was magically stretched in one that felt like 5 hours, definite Oscar fodder. I get the thing people are going crazy over is the way it was filmed, etc.. But at some point people have to realize the point of going to see a movie is to be entertained and this just didn't do that. The scenery was beautiful, but the story was generic.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

nm posted:

I've also met 14in. He doesn't strike me as a meth head.

He's too productive to be a meth head.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Doesn't he have way too many cars to be a meth head?

Not sure about in your parts, but here none of them have cars only bikes with trailers made from various poo poo; milk crates, garbage cans, kids trailers, etc..

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Enourmo posted:

seriously how do I make any kind of resume look attractive when my skills are all from an abandoned career at a dying company

Flower it up. Instead of IT lackey say journeyman workstation and server repair/wo/man since pc repair is considered a trade.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Hydrocodone doesn't do jack poo poo for my mom except make her hallucinate. :stare: Me, on the other hand... a couple of those and some :420: and life is gooooood.

I had meniscus surgery 3 years ago and found out it doesn't do anything for me either beyond what it's supposed to do. Norco on the other hand makes me a mean son of a bitch which makes no sense since its Hydrocodone with acetomenophen in it as well.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Welp.. I can't say I saw the one coming, not in a million years and it's surprisingly well made. If this is the beginning of the campaign season videos, I need to grab some popcorn even more than I did before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FECIYlo3KRY

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I took the new star wars at face value and it was a fun movie but its not anything I'd call amazing. Certainly not Oscar worthy. If it wasn't attached to the name, nobody would think twice about it.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

Valentine's dinner is gonna be ribeyes, baked potatoes and whatever veg the wife wants. Follow that up with a fire and chilling in the backyard with dogs and some nice beer.

Fuuuuuuck going out on this fake rear end holiday.

Valentines dinner for us was nachos and hotdogs. My wife wanted to go to a hockey game so we did their valentines day special. Come to think of it, this is the same thing we did last year, I like this new trend.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

We did our nice dinner on Wednesday, so tonight we just had cheap steaks and now I'm suffering through the Bachelor.

Before last year we used to do "valentines dinner" on other nights as well. We don't do the same food for 300% markup but it comes with a rose scam. She worked in a floral shop during college so she's hip to the holiday.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Apparently we're going to see deadpool in less than an hour. :)

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

Deadpool was loving awesome.

The gaggles of eight year olds were not.

Seriously. As I was watching it I was thinking who the gently caress brings their kids to an r rated movie?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I finally found out what sort of parents take their children (3,8,9,11) to see Deadpool.

Keykey's cousin posted:

FYI....very,very graphic for children, had to cover the little ones faces like 4 times lol...

They are a burden on society, so.. Yeah. THOSE people.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Darchangel posted:

"Why are my kids so violent and using bad words? I don't understand where they could have learned that stuff. Must be TV."

I fully expect them to make it to TV within the decade in the capacity of "OUR BOY WAS REALLY GOOD, HE WENT TO CHURCH AND I CAN'T BELIEVE HE GOT SHOT! WE HAVE TO STAND UP AGAINST VIOLENCE!" demographic. Sadly, the media never interviews the extended family to get the real story on what a poo poo heel the parents were and the trickle down thinking they had on their kids.

edit:

BloodBag posted:

Welp, FUCK2016 is official for me. My Wife got a call from her Aunt on her birthday. The police entered my FIL's house and found him deceased. He lived alone in CA. We are both in shock, he was so fit and really quirky. What do I do now? I've never had to deal with losing a parent. Will we have to go out there I guess? Any help figuring out what to do would be appreciated. :negative: This sucks, he was so cool.

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

What you do really depends on how close/distant your family was to him and what sort of cool people/assholes you have in your family that are either looking out for everyone's possible interest or their own. In any case, it's difficult losing someone who you were close with.

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 16, 2016

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Magnus Praeda posted:

Does that make the $5 Hot-N-Ready at Little Caesar's a low effort handie? :downsrim:

The Hot-N-Readiea are the mipeds of the pizza world. Sure, you'll mount up, but you don't want your friends to see how low you've sunk for a fix. Who am I kidding? I'd gleefully ride a moped.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BloodBag posted:

At the airport in Houston... My theme song be like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wBTdfAkqGU

The only time I've been in Oakland at night was to repo a car, I'm pretty sure that music video was just shot on location and isn't even a set.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

um excuse me posted:

Just applied to a manufacturing position at Tesla. It's more like buying a lottery ticket to me, but a guy can dream.

:hfive:

I did the same thing a few months ago for the HR Director job at the Gigafactory. Essentially, yeah it'd be pretty bad rear end, but it's snowballs chance in hell territory. I am finally getting some call backs for interviews lately though, 2016 is shaping up to be significantly profitable.

glyph posted:

Found it. But the video isn't loading for me. Balls.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=775009032523726

I'd probably have to change my pants after that.

keykey fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 19, 2016

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

edit: I'm dumb and double posted. Quote /= Edit. :downs:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CharlesM posted:

As I was walking my dog some guy drove by shouted out the window that the cops can't protect me. If I'm murdered he was driving a white Chevy Astro van.

You should only be afraid if you're a size 13 and the van had no windows.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Wife just paid off her car loan, we're now totally debt-free! Compared to 6 months ago that means about $500-600/mo extra straight to the bank; we've paid off 2 sets of student loans and a car since then. Feels good.

Hero of the day.txt :)

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Phone posted:

I was wrong, I owe the state $1. :v:

Dang, that's pretty hilarious actually. It reminds me of the best check I ever received from AT&T which was for 17 cents. I claim 0 otherwise I get royally screwed, this year I somehow magically got 2700 back federal, but owe 800 to state.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

scuz posted:

who the gently caress uses Windows ISA? Who EVER did?

Holy poo poo, I forgot about that.. Thing.. :stare:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Chris Rock is painfully unfunny. I wish he had boycotted.

Is he still doing the "The louder I yell, the funnier I think I sound" bit?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Spike Lee is one of THE worst hypocritical pieces of poo poo for race relations of all time. gently caress off and die, thank you.

On a scale from Spike Lee to Louis Farrakhan, where does Al Sharpton place?

I liked Chris Rock in SNL years ago until the yelling until funny thing started grating on the nerves, kinda like Adam Sandlers random baby noise thing. Things were simpler in the early 90's. Also, I was in high school so I probably didn't know any better.

Edit: at least we can all agree that it's pretty awesome that a 2 hour car chase took the academy awards this year. That's pretty cool. .

keykey fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 29, 2016

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Dang, you're absolutely right. Louis Black is the new Chris Rock.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Or be like me and get a barely used fully-optioned prosumer Kyocera laser printer for free from work, since no one was using it.

:hfive:

My old printer died about 5 years ago so I took a trip to our warehouse to see what they had. Ended up getting an HP all in 1 laser printer/fax/scanner for $1.73. I've had to replace the toner cartridge once. I'm now $25 into it.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Agreed.

In other news, does Kratom make you look like you're on meth? I had a student last week that was talking about doing it, meanwhile he was agitated, aggravated, unable to focus and looked like he was ready to blow.

My wife's grandpa took it for pain management when the VA kept cutting his morphine prescription further. He didn't exhibit any of those symptoms, though he talked with his Dr first about it as an alternative and his Dr essentially said,"I can't tell you that I'd suggest it, but you really have nothing to lose if it doesn't work." It turned out that it worked quite well for his particular needs, mostly not being in pain.

The dude you had in class was probably just on something and was looking to score whatever he could get his hands on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Looks like I'll be starting work on Thursday. Thank gently caress. So bored and so broke.

Congrats! I was in between jobs for 2 months about 13 years ago and I went out of my mind trying to find things to do.

• Locked thread