Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Hi February thread. I went on my first 20 mile + bike ride in a couple months today. I've been nursing / rehabbing an injury. Feels good to get out again, especially at 60*F in the dead of Winter. It should be a high of 30*F here right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ozmiander posted:

This passes for humor in AI.

Okay, let's see you do better. :toxx:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ozmiander posted:

Your posting history.

And that's why you never post content, only criticism. Don't worry, keep watching, maybe someday you'll have something helpful or funny to add.

Edit: If only. :swoon:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 1, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cage posted:

You guys are weird with your bickering. I dont have any feelings about corn, he just couldn't have set me up any better. Post about cars and post pictures of cars and a good time is had.

The chat thread really isn't about cars, it's more about parallel-wired MAF sensors, taxes and Herbal Clean.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Herbal Clean? What, funneling a bunch of Lemon Fresh up the rear end and poo poo it back out in a cloud of bubbles, enema poo poo and smuggery?

Safety Dance posted:

So my wife, a few weeks ago, had my phone for some reason and said, "Uh... backdoor sluts five just sent you a snapchat?"

NOW you're talking about a party.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

NitroSpazzz posted:

I have the much older version of this and it works great https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TO61KIC

I have the old version of that, too. And I hate it. From piss-poor sealing, to hoses getting pin holes and spraying brake fluid everywhere, to having to have multiple caps to fit different vehicles... just more pain than it's worth.

I've been putting off fluid change in all 3 cars to avoid using that loving thing. I think I'll try one of the hand vacuum bleeders and keep an eye on the reservoir... seems like a lot less hassle.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

NitroSpazzz posted:

This one is just a hose no caps, are you thinking of a pressure bleeder type? Those can be a pain. My only complaint about my vacuum oil/bleeder is if you put too much of a vacuum the sides cave in...my brother isn't allowed to use this anymore.

Yep, I saw "Motiv" and red-misted. I'll go back and take a look at what you actually linked... but yeah, Motiv pressure bleeders suck rear end.

Sorry, Tide, that also sucks. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

People hate on the wealthy, I don't mind if others have more than me. I plan on being wealthy and self sufficient in life. I don't want to rely on the government to take care of me.

There is a big difference between the "wealthy" and the rest of the US population, and the lack of recognition regarding this keeps the money flowing to the people that already have money.

The guy you see driving the new BMW on the way to work is not wealthy. The guy driving the new Tesla on the way to work is not wealthy. The guy driving the new Ferrari that you see every once in a while is not wealthy. The reality TV stars with a garage full of millions of dollars of cars are not wealthy. Pro football players are not wealthy.

The wealthy are the few that have scores of $BILLIONS. The wealthy are the uppermost levels of elite corporate multinational monolithic monstrosities formerly called businesses. The wealthy are the upper echelon of bankers. They are largely under the radar because us normals have real-world ideas of "having means." They live in a different world and are sucking ours dry.

Until there is a realization that the WORLD'S economy has been bought and sold to the likes of Nestle and Chase, they are going to keep getting richer and laugh at our squabbling over crumbs while they're taking the whole loving pie.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

SlimManFat posted:

I'm very okay with learning history this way

Me, too. Are there other things like this? My son is in love with some weird youtube videos that are kinda like Civilization what-ifs that are terrible both in content and production value... I'd love to have him watch things like this instead.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

scuz posted:

This was fun! CPGGrey does similar things but without all the colors and fun sounds.

MrChips posted:

Crash Course. Lots and lots of Crash Course.

Awesome. Thank you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Not many people had Dave Mirra in their deadpool.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tusen Takk posted:

the White House it's called the White House for a reason

It's true. It is a house, and the color of the materials in its external construction is white.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tusen Takk posted:

for some reason General Motors/Saab thought it would be a fantastic idea to put the oil filter cartridge underneath the supercharger in my IRL so that you can barely get it out and if you can you've said more bad words than you really care to admit

And that even if you attempt it once, you get frustrated with it and take it to a dealer next time, instead.

Cartridge filters have no tangible benefit over traditional filters, other than increasing revenue for the manufacturer.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

There is good content on reddit and those of you that disavow it completely are either bandwagoning or myopic. Yes, there's a lot of poo poo on reddit but... there's a lot of poo poo in the SA forums too, even aside from my posting.

For instance: https://www.reddit.com/r/justrolledintotheshop/ Edit: It's lovely today, full of stupid cat pics, but during the week, it's pretty well filled with random car fuckups that are often interesting/enteraining.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 7, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KozmoNaut posted:

Unfortunately, the absolutely horrendous navigation and layout on Reddit kinda negates all the good content.

As opposed to the professional and modern layout of these here forums, I assume?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

In other news, my mom has had a Maytag Bravo-something washer (same as Whirlpool Calypso, etc.) for years. Also, for years, it's made an abominable grinding sound. I told her she probably got a coin in between the basket and the tub. They had someone out to look at it a couple years ago and the service guy said that it was probably the transmission going and it's a huge job costing almost $500. They decided to wait until it stopped working.

Well, it stopped working last week and they got a new w/d set yesterday. I took the old washer to see if I could fix it.

God drat, appliances are so simple, modular and straightforward.

1) The repair guy was trying to screw them. There isn't even a transmission in the thing, it's a direct-drive motor on the bottom of the tub.

2) There wasn't a coin stuck, there were two nickels and a dime stuck. All showing the faces ground down since they had been used as bearing surfaces. :cry:

3) That upset the balance and fully hosed the bearings and the shaft.

The good news is that it looks like a common failure and the entire repair kit -- new shaft, new bearings, new seal, grease/glue, etc. is only $65 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-W10435302-Bearing/dp/B00DM8L8DK

The bad news is that it supposedly "requires" a special tool to set the new bearings... at $100. gently caress that. http://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-Part-Number-W10447783-TOOL/dp/B008DJQ62Q

I took good measurements of where the old bearings were set, and the top one bottoms out on a ridge, so I think I'll be fine hand-setting them the good old fashioned way -- with a properly sized socket and a hammer.

We'll see...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

What do I need to look for in buying a 2002 MR2 Spyder with ~40k miles? Any common problems/failures?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CharlesM posted:

Which transmission?

Manual, idk if it's 5 or 6 speed, haven't looked that much into them...

Edit: nevermind. Typical craigslist, where a "second owner, no accident" car turns into a "5 owner, 2 accident" car after checking title and Autocheck. D:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 7, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

There's a whole lot of arguing in this thread about watching millionaires run and throw on a field to make money for the billionaires that own the teams.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

What's the easiest way to find the ssid of a hidden wifi network from a Windows platform?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

Remember thermal expansion is on your side here. Pry the old one off, put the shaft in the freezer and heat the bearing with a hair dryer till you can barely hold it, which is about 150-180 degrees depending on your pain tolerance. I bet it slides right on.

Actually the opposite setup in this case, but I'll use the same principles... the bearings are press-fit into the plastic tub, the shaft slides in after the bearings are set. I'll make sure the bearings are icy cold when I go to set them.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I filled up for $1.92 a gallon for premium the other night, officially the cheapest I have paid for fuel in the 5 years of owning the MS6. And yesterday it was down to $1.87 in some places. The first fill up I maid was over $4 per gallon and in my fuel log there were a few pushing $5 a gallon. I like this alternate universe we've landed in, can we stay here a while?

Right now we're benefiting from countries and some enormous companies fighting for the market / market share. In the US the rise of fracking opened up the door for a LOT of small oil companies to get into the oil market. Fracking is very expensive, relatively, and for those small companies to stay in business, they need the price of crude to be ~$75/barrel or more. With it under $25/barrel, it costs them more to extract the oil than they can sell it for. This is going to starve out those small companies, and will probably result in them being gobbled up by the enormous companies.

There is also a lot of high-volume pumping going on in the middle east. Iran just came back on the global market and the Saudis have repeatedly refused to cut production.

The end result is that there is a glut of oil on the market and cheap gas for us... yay! Don't think we won't pay for this in the future, though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

sharkytm posted:

The beginning of this actually isn't that accurate. The middle and end are correct. Your last sentence is 100% true.

Fracking is VERY easy to shut off, and the leases/costs to maintain a well are nothing compared to deepwater operations. The small fracking companies aren't going anywhere, because they can just shut down the wells and wait for prices to increase. The actual companies may go out of business, but they'll be bought by other small operations. Big companies (at least right now) want nothing to do with shale. The price of extraction is too high, the risks too large, and the public image is not good. However, venture capitalists will be happy to snap up the leases and capped wells and sit on them until the easily-accessed oil is gone, and prices skyrocket. Then they'll dust off the wellheads and their maps of where additional reserves are, and go to town on everyone's wallets.

So basically, the only think we disagree about is who is going to buy the small fracking companies?

Washer chat -- Amazon rocks and got me the shaft/seal/bearing kit today. I got it put back together and I've already run a load through it. It is running as it should... which is a good thing. I'm going to keep my old washer for a bit, though... just in case. :boom:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Nexus 5 and Nexus 6 are still available new. 5 is still a viable, nice phone. I have a 6 and I think it kicks rear end. You can pick one up for about $250, with a 2560x1440 screen and plenty of processing power. I have nothing bad to say about it and it's in many ways better than the current version (wireless charging itself outweighs the benefits of the new one).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

There are few things more satisfying than watching someone have a meltdown when they find out that paying $865 for new brake pads and rotors was in fact not a good deal.

On that note -- if you're looking for rotors, buy them from Canada. I just got a set of front and rears, coated, for the Envoy for $124 delivered. The shipping weight was almost 100 pounds.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Where are you buying rotors from in Canada? It's hard to find them here for even the same price as RockAuto, even with shipping.

I ebay'd this set, but I saw similar pricing on Amazon (looks like the price has gone up a couple bucks... I wonder if ebay has glexible pricing based on currency rates?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221989488247

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

His story is "My brakes went out. Turned out I needed new rotors, pads, a brake line, wheel cylinders and tie rod ends."

It's a local garage known for being shady, I'm sure they could have kept adding poo poo to the bill and he would've been like "OKAY YES MORE PLEASE."

And how many of those parts did they actually replace?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tusen Takk posted:

I used to love listening to music while driving somewhere, but ever since I started working in one of the busiest retail stores in the state, I can't loving stand it and I enjoy the silence of driving by myself and nobody saying anything

When I was younger, I could not go anywhere without good music, usually blasting out of the system. Then I had kids, and I listened to a lot of Kids Place Live on XM, which was surprisingly non-suicide-inducing. Now that I have some quiet time in the car, I find myself listening to NPR. It's weird.

But, I've been listening to a lot of Afghan Whigs when working in the garage lately, so credibility regained.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Got all the paperwork in the mail today for my dream job again. So excited. Thank you goons for making fun of me and helping me stop smoking the devil's lettuce.

Just don't gently caress it up this time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BraveUlysses posted:

Only by terrible posters like you

And the posting of a medical diagnosis of such. Not taking sides, but you can see where the confusion could come from.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

scuz posted:

Plus he's got a prescription for ADD/ADHD pills or something, it's all in his wonderful thread, go read it sometime.

I think he said his prescription ran out and he was getting prescription drugs from someone else. Perhaps you may want to re-read his thread sometime.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I don't know what else you expect from me?

(lovely typos on phone, not fixing)

Asked and answered.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

His description of how said pills (whether prescribed or illicitly obtained) make him feel calm and normal and able to keep a train of thought going mesh pretty well with a real (not self diagnosed) case of ADHD. I'll buy it.

To quote my GF - "just took my methylphenidate and had 3 cups of coffee, I think I'm gonna fall asleep". Those drugs have a completely opposite impact on the mental state of people abusing them and people who need them badly, much like how opioids don't get you high if you need them for pain, because they're blocking the pain instead.

I buy it, but at the same time... think about some of the poo poo he writes/smokes/fucks!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The new Apple vulnerability is going to catch a lot of people out.

This is really funny, what effect has it had on the stores, TT?

(Note: don't do this, it'll brick your device)
http://www.peopleinformer.com/tech/apple-retro-themed-easter-egg-discovered/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

If that was homegrown, instead of a tumbler repost of a reddit picture, I'd respect it more.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I respect that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

jamal posted:

Could have been sideswiped while parked.

WAY too much of an impact for a sideswipe, look at the rear door crush and roof buckling.

In other news, Hell got a fresh new soul today. Goodbye, Scalia.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

SouthsideSaint posted:

Not too bad if it's had the timing belt done recently. Clean and manual. The automatics of that vintage had issues.

Yeah, solid drivetrain, random electrical bullshit that's rarely debilitating. As a Winter beater, it'd be a great thing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BloodBag posted:

The coroner said the state can take care of the estate for 5% and at this point we're ready to take them up on it. I don't have the means to call servpro and disaster recover a dead body house. I also hope my wife's estranged sister doesn't come out of the woodwork with her hand out (drug addict/thief/HIV positive). I'll set aside 50% on the off chance she makes an appearance. Hopefully the home isn't in foreclosure by now, 5 months is a long time...

I don't know if I'm mentally prepared for this, but I'm going through the motions. I feel like I'm on an episode of CSI or some poo poo.

We're going to pack running clothes and do a 'Run for Dad' up there :unsmith:

E: I guess the last time we saw each other was over breakfast at Le Peep. If he's got a nice car, that poo poo's getting transported here. He used to have a Yukon back in the day...

Wow, BloodBag, that's a lot of poo poo to sort through at once. My only advice is to be prepared for things you're not expecting. Good luck with all of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Oh, STR is going to have something to say on this topic! :glomp:

• Locked thread