Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hello thread, and hello storm out of nowhere. 30 minutes ago I got back from buying milk, and it was slightly breezy and clear. Now it's pouring rain and sounds like the wind is trying to tear the roof off. The nearest weather station is about 3 miles away and says 40mph winds, which isn't terrible, but it's pretty windy for the Phoenix area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Darchangel posted:

That's what I do. The trailer I use (a friend's) has the lever-type ball latch with a hole for a lock, so there's one there. Then you need the locking pin in the ball mount. Would have been nice if Haul had used that time of hitch - with that quick-link that kastein pointed out, locking the chain is more a keep honest people honest thing.

I'm not seeing any way to use that while the trailer is connected to the vehicle, though, so you'd have to unhitch any time you left it. That does have the locks for the tongue latch I mentioned, and the locking ball mount pin.

Way behind on this thread, so this might have already been answered better, but I used to secure my trailer to the truck (and my race-car to the trailer) using various combinations of cable locks and padlocks depending on what worked for each location.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-72DPF-Braided-Diameter/dp/B000BD8IQ4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1454607712&sr=8-6&keywords=cable+lock

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is probably far more accurate than I want to admit.

I'm 50, have no kids or prospects, so as long as it takes 40 years or a bit more (hopefully), I'm good. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

Edit: I forgot to quote broken knuckles.

That's priceless.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

Video with Subtitles

Haha.. I was wondering when it started why it needed subtitles. That was hilarious.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

the spyder posted:

I don't usually get bad headaches, but I can't seem to kick this one. I've been home sick 3/4 of the week with sinus pressure/headaches/stomach cramps and I'm way down on energy. It's bad enough I don't trust myself driving except short trips. Anyone have any headache/migrane med suggestions? I usually only take Ibu as needed.

Ibuprofen does nothing for me (except work on muscle issues when used as an anti-inflammatory).

For headaches, the only OTC I've found that really does anything noticeable for me is "Extra Strength Excedrin", which is a combination of Acetaminophen 250mg, Aspirin 250mg, & Caffeine 65mg. Taking two helps my headaches. Generics of this are usually called "Migraine formula".

Luckily I rarely have headaches anymore since I've gotten my blood pressure under control.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Just finished changing the oil in the Focus. Every time I do this I wonder why in the hell we don't have cartridge filters on the top of the engine like my E36 had, that was so much neater and easier. Is there some functional reason that we use bottom filters that are impossible to change without getting hot oil all over your hand and arm?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Reddit's format is utter unreadable poo poo, THAT is something that can be grouped very well. And it does indeed have a much higher percentage of absolute loving morons. Burn it to the ground, the Internet would be noticably better.

Then follow the burning with a nuking of Tumblr and Twitter.

A candidate should run on this platform, I'd vote for them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Thanks. Its just loving ridiculous. Two friends in the past month, and 8 people in the last year. Accidents, suicides, and two who were fine and just dropped dead in their sleep.

And people wonder why I have a hard time being happy.

Edit: and every time just having to suck it up and act like nothing is going on, that doesn't help either.

Sorry for your losses man. Why do you think you have to suck it up and act like nothing is going on? Grieving is normal and nothing to be ashamed of.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I have one of the very last of the Sony Trinitron (I think) rear projection CRT TV's. It's friggen huge and heavy as hell. It has the floor stand built in, 54". It's only 720p, which was the best there was at the time without spending ridiculous money.

Not looking forward to either the day it dies finally, or I have to move.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

glyph posted:

Had to post this somewhere, and I'm not about to log the time to make it through the woodworking thread. Absolutely fucki amazing watching this guy cut threads by hand and then just wing an internal thread to finish off the piece.

I feel like no matter how good I get at anything in my life, it won't even come close to how this dude runs a wood lathe. It's long, so you'll have to poke around, but drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iEd0kD0S4

That is what a lifetime of practice looks like.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enourmo posted:

And ffs vote in the goddamn midterms you lazy bastards.

I'm registered with an "I", so the progressive state of Arizona says I can't vote for anyone until November.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Magnus Praeda posted:

He means Midterm Elections, as in: November 2018, not the primaries.

Oh. Duh. Yea, always vote in those.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That sucks, but at least nobody was in the e30 at the time.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

88h88 posted:

...and then there's this dude, aged 70 in the video and lifting more than me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJaZDGVNWA

:drat:

I have no aspirations to be like that amazing dude, but going to the gym has noticeably improved my health and weight in the last 4 months. I got a pretty late start at 50, but I like the results so far and definitely want to keep this as a habit in my life from now on. As an office drone, I was getting pretty round and soft.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

88h88 posted:

It's highly unlikely you ever would, that right there takes a serious amount of dedication. Your comment is kinda like women who think they'll end up looking like the incredible Hulk is they even approach a squat rack. Ain't gonna happen! :v:

There is a young woman at my gym who is the proof of this. She is very shapely (to say the least), not big at all (maybe 120#? I'm bad at weight guessing), and you would never guess if you saw her that she was a weigh lifter.

She does over 300# on the weird forward leaning squat machine, and does around 200# on the barbell. It's pretty funny seeing this girl out lift the massively ripped dude's.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

Today is one of those days where you just look at poo poo and go what the gently caress. Found out I got paid and got my tax return today, so I woke up with an extra $1700 in my bank account. I came in today to find out that either our assistant manager is quiting or our ISS is getting fired for something. Then in the middle of it, my boss tells me I'm getting promoted to full time (not to either of these positions thankfully). So I'm bouning around all happy meanwhile everyone else is stressed out, pissed off and miserable. I feel a tad bit guilty. :ohdear:

Never feel guilty about success unless you stepped on someone's neck to get there.

It took me far too much of my life to figure out that there is nothing wrong with being more successful than your coworkers, as long as you aren't doing things to undermine them in order to succeed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

My mother is 73 and she lifts Bro. Has for the last 30 years, she also puts the gym bros to shame. It's so hilarious to say the least that some slim old lady throws about 20Kg plates like toys.

Feel free to tell your mom that some random dude on the interwebs thinks she is awesome.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

That seems to be the mantra of companies this year. "We just missed our goals, so gently caress you" Businesses aren't that terribly off, I know my work place dropped from 5.5 billion in profit from 2014 to this years paltry 5.1 billion. But if you work here, its like we went broke.

I guess we are an anomaly then, as the company announced that it was giving all eligible employees a one-time 401k allocation of a percentage of the employees salary at the end of the year. It's not a huge amount, but it beats a kick in the head.

My company has no bonus positions at all to the best of my knowledge, so nobody ever gets a bonus smaller than expected. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Awesome! Thanks much - everyone's into BBQ (we're seeing my mom, who's out there visiting some retired snowbird family friends from our hometown in the midwest) so perhaps I'll drag them there and brave the lines as we do have a lunch slot with no plans yet. That Apache Trail looks pretty great, and even if there's caravans & boat trailers clogging it up I'm sure it'll be fun anyhow.

For desert flowers, it's hard to beat Arizona Botanical Garden next to the Phoenix zoo.

This is a perfect time to visit as far as the weather is concerned, but not sure about blooming flowers.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

This sounds like a fantastic way to go insane in a very short order of time.

I've done on call jobs like that, and it's typically fine, because the on call work tends to be rare 'emergency' situations. They don't call you out on a whim since on call typically pays overtime or double time with a 'x' hour minimum (2 hours in the job I did), and time starts from the time you get the call until the time you pull back into your own driveway after finishing the emergency call.

Of course I have no idea if SAC will get the same sort of deal, or if the company he wants to work for is abusive of their on call people.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

Oh I know, I'm working at a place that does on call stuff now. We go on call once a week, and once a month we have a weekend (Fri-Sat) where we go on call as well.
I guess it's just me, but I kinda hate it, I just never feel like I can 100% relax on those on call weekends, so working it for like 2 weeks straight would drive me bonkers.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to be on call now (I actually turned down a position at my current company because it would be on call 1 week out of 5), but when I was younger like SAC is, it didn't bother me at all and I loved the occasional really awesome paycheck.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

All kratom did was make my kidneys hurt. I got a very mild buzz off of it, but 5mg of hydrocodone would have given the same buzz. For far less money.

Elmnt, that sucks. That's why I'm not management material. Been there done that (in food service and call centers, anyway).

I was prescribed a hydrocodone (Vicodin) once for pain, and apparently I'm allergic to it, as I was on the floor in my bathroom vomiting my guts out (and then vomiting nothing) for almost 12 hours. I'd rather just be in pain, thanks.

Ditto on the managing. While parts of the job were very enjoyable, being responsible for other people just sucked, and I've no desire to do that again.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Passed my piss test today! They really do do randoms cuz my boss was at the clinic when I left getting randomed, so no weed for me in the near future. Not that I care at this point since it has been so long. New year, new me!

Congrats and good luck.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Pizza chat - For anyone in the Phoenix area, if you haven't tried Fired Pie, you should. They only make single person sized (11") thin crust pizza's, but it's a flat price of $7.95 and you tell them how to make it. You can choose the type of sauce, and how much, what type of cheese, and how much. Same with all the toppings, and they have a bunch to choose from. They'll build it any way you want with as many toppings as you want and it costs exactly the same, and it's really loving good.

They also do salads the same way, but who the hell goes to a pizza place and gets a salad?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Tide posted:

Today I experienced a eureka moment. An emotional breakthrough of sorts. Today, I decided that I gave zero fucks about the fact that I am thinning at the crown (made worse by a double cowlick) and will learn to accept it.

A big thing for a guy who has always been proud of his hair/hair snob.

A choice well made. I haven't gone full bald, but I did switch to a buzz cut about 4 years ago as my hairline kept moving rearward, and I have never once regretted it. Hair care is so easy now, never have to carry a comb around, just wash, dry, and go.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BloodBag posted:

I'm in a little shitbox yaris...

How to hell do you get comfortable in of those things anyway? I have the seat all the way back and all the way down and it's not like I'm a leggy guy, I'm all torso, so it's like driving a goddamn box truck for legroom. My knees are up and my arms are all out like a Ferrari test driver. I'll just pretend I'm in Kimbo's white Ferrari the rest of the weekend...

In my experience, you don't. They gave me one of these to drive while my car was being repaired after I was in an accident and I had injured my knees. I made it less than an hour, trying every possible seating position before calling the rental company and demanding a different car, because it put my knee in a position that granted constant and building pain.

Good luck sorting the estate.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Wife just paid off her car loan, we're now totally debt-free! Compared to 6 months ago that means about $500-600/mo extra straight to the bank; we've paid off 2 sets of student loans and a car since then. Feels good.

Awesome. Congratulations!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Good luck!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enourmo posted:

mostly i freak out cause ive got like a 3.06 at 170 credit hours. itll take a lot of As to make my gpa competitive and every B makes it harder to bring up, let along grades worse than that (and they're instituting a C minimum to have classes count for prerequisite credit, so if you get a D and another course requires it, you have to re-take)

What SafetyDance said. The real world doesn't give a poo poo about your GPA. Look at job postings around the world, they say things like "Requires a bachelor's degree or 2 years work experience". Never once have I seen a GPA requirement on a job notice, and if you don't include it on your application/resume, they won't know or care. Do you have that fancy piece of paper that says you graduated? Good deal, you meet that hiring requirement.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Anyway, to cheer today up I've been called a lazy loving liar today, to my face. Because I won't embark on a quarter million pound safety modification with no proven benefit, no budget, no time in my plan and it's barely within my circle of responsibility. Requested by someone lower down the ladder than me. I'm expected to treat this person with dignity and respect when they treat me like that right to my face with their supervisor standing right there. I'm so loving angry.

To clarify they identified a problem with their standardised work and proposed I make massive changes to the machine. I kicked it back because it's unreasonable and suggested they look at other changes, examples included, my boss agrees, I provided some documents that prove its a much bigger job than they thought. The documents (ISO guarding standards and excerpts from the 700 page verified machine technical installation manual) are all lies, I'm lazy and don't want to do it, apparently.

There are times when the words "gently caress off" are perfectly reasonable to use. Seems to me like this is one of those times.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Exactly. As implemented in the US, chipped cards just take more time without providing any additional security, except perhaps making skimmers obsolete.

They are still more secure because even without the PIN, the cards can't be easily duplicated or cloned, so a thief has to be in physical possession of your stolen card to use it at a physical terminal. Of course that doesn't help for online 'card not present' transactions, but neither does Chip+PIN for that.

Also, the extra time is solvable, some chip terminals that use a good processor are just as fast as non chip terminals, other than the fact that you have to leave your card in the terminal for those couple of seconds that the transaction takes.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

I weep for past me, who held incorrect notions about oil changing. Now I have used Motive Power Extractor, and all had been made clear to me.

I helped a buddy change the oil on his shitbox Toyota, and it was so nice not having to crawl around under the car draining the oil. Getting the filter was a little bit of a bitch, but I made him do it. The oil sucker is so much less messy than a drain pan, it's amazing.

It's a neat tool, but I don't make a mess with the drain pan, it's the dumb filter that always makes a mess, and I have to put the car up in the air and take off the underbody stuff to get to the filter, so dumping the oil out the pan isn't any more work anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ferremit posted:

My shed/Workshops here! Spose this is probably something I should do a thread on...

*Some assembly required.

• Locked thread