Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
You can choose between a new rule for the february thread! What will it be?
This poll is closed.
Don't diss the Creativision. Also "Cretinvision" will get wordfiltered to "I am an rear end in a top hat" 22 10.19%
If you talk about Papyrus you will need to refer him as Mr. Papyrus, unless the author changes the pronoun. 70 32.41%
Everyone who posts in pages before the third and after the second has to write I love videogames at least once and never talk about ponies. 77 35.65%
Do not attach pools to the thread. Pools divide the community in fatties and sportys and they are highly triggering. 47 21.76%
Total: 216 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

It's X-Com 2 release month get hyyyype

Releases feb 5, the long war guys apparently already have some dev tools available so it's likely that a Long War 2 will be available down the line if that's your bag. Also confirmed in this game: magical Barbie squaddie dressup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I don't think anyone should berate the new Tomb Raider series for the deaths because those in Dead Space are a lot worse I feel.

Tomb Raider probably shocks more because some of them are entirely possible in every day life and maybe makes you feel a bit for your mortality.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Junpei Hyde posted:

Shadow Hearts isn't a JRPG, it's a GayRPG.

It is very good.
This is true, because the only romantic relationship in that series that doesn't end in tragedy is the glorious love between two dudes.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 1, 2016

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I think I might like video games

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Prop Wash posted:

It's X-Com 2 release month get hyyyype

Releases feb 5, the long war guys apparently already have some dev tools available so it's likely that a Long War 2 will be available down the line if that's your bag. Also confirmed in this game: magical Barbie squaddie dressup!
You're a lil' mixed up. Firaxis are including all their tools they used to make the game (Modbuddy, UDK, tens of gigabytes unflattened Unreal packages, debug version of the game). The Long War guys were parachuted in to make three sample mods that'll be available on launch - a new type of weapon (SMGs), a new enemy (Muton Centurion) and a "leader" system kind of similar to the Officer stuff in Long War and the Psionics in EW.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrO5cb1lnKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nWq34sg7Ow&t=1649s

4p coop

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 1, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The goofy rag doll deaths in Dead Space are pretty funny, same for Tomb Raider rag doll deaths.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

The goofy rag doll deaths in Dead Space are pretty funny, same for Tomb Raider rag doll deaths.
Goofy ragdoll physics will always bring a smile to everyone's face. They should be in every game. Even games without any non-player characters - just rig up a shower curtain or tree or something with some physics so it can go berserk and cheer you up if you look at it wrong.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I miss mid-2000s bonkers physics that weren't totally self-conscious. Nowadays they're either toned down or intentional, it was way funnier in the days where people ragdolled hilariously at the slightest prompt like QWOP characters.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I miss mid-2000s bonkers physics that weren't totally self-conscious. Nowadays they're either toned down or intentional, it was way funnier in the days where people ragdolled hilariously at the slightest prompt like QWOP characters.

This is why even though UT99 is the better game, UT2K4 is my favourite. I always miss the ragdolls in UT99.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I am seriously considering getting a handheld android console thingy
I'm looking for sub $120 in price range, really. I've seen a few that are basically a PSP with android that run on actual SD cards, design wise.
On the other hand, I could just pay to repair my 3ds. Or spend more and get a New!3ds. Or spend more and get a Vita. Or get a Vita TV instead and just listen to music and stuff on my phone when I go out. AUGH.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Too many games to play. Hell, tomorrow alone we have the PS4 versions of Necrodancer and Gravity Rush coming, all while I just started The Witness.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The Kins posted:

You're a lil' mixed up. Firaxis are including all their tools they used to make the game (Modbuddy, UDK, tens of gigabytes unflattened Unreal packages, debug version of the game). The Long War guys were parachuted in to make three sample mods that'll be available on launch - a new type of weapon (SMGs), a new enemy (Muton Centurion) and a "leader" system kind of similar to the Officer stuff in Long War and the Psionics in EW.

So it's even better than I thought. Semper games

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
drat, it feels good to be a gamer.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

KaosMachina posted:

I am seriously considering getting a handheld android console thingy
I'm looking for sub $120 in price range, really. I've seen a few that are basically a PSP with android that run on actual SD cards, design wise.
On the other hand, I could just pay to repair my 3ds. Or spend more and get a New!3ds. Or spend more and get a Vita. Or get a Vita TV instead and just listen to music and stuff on my phone when I go out. AUGH.

Just play games on your phone? Most of the ones in the app store are probably lovely f2p games but you can always run an emulator or something.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

VideoGames posted:

I don't think anyone should berate the new Tomb Raider series for the deaths because those in Dead Space are a lot worse I feel.

Tomb Raider probably shocks more because some of them are entirely possible in every day life and maybe makes you feel a bit for your mortality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCe8-1dbXZc&t=358s

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku1a1uNknCc

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Just play games on your phone? Most of the ones in the app store are probably lovely f2p games but you can always run an emulator or something.

I have a windows phone.
Yeah, I know. Hindsight is 20/20.
also touch screen anything is usually awful unless it's turn based

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 1, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I laughed. Thank you :)

axleblaze posted:

Too many games to play. Hell, tomorrow alone we have the PS4 versions of Necrodancer and Gravity Rush coming, all while I just started The Witness.

gently caress yes to Necrodancer. I plan on getting it on the Vita because I love supporting the REALLY anime handheld. All games are anime :eek:

VideoGames posted:

drat, it feels good to be a gamer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u84d7nY8pQ

This except replace gangster with gamer.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

cat doter posted:

I think I might like video games

i'm video games-curious

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I will fight anyone who hates video games, in Smash Brothers.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm so loving excited for Xcom 2 mods.

I fully expect to be playing a Star Wars campaign by April. You can do it, modders!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Canadian dollar is so loving weak right now. It is not ideal for purchasing video games.

Wamdoodle posted:

I laughed. Thank you :)

np

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

mfcrocker posted:

i'm video games-curious

:wiggle:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

mfcrocker posted:

i'm video games-curious

So what are ya doin' later? Ya know jus wonderin' ;)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

So what are ya doin' later? Ya know jus wonderin' ;)

Tapping my foot under a bathroom stall, cruisin' usa

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

VideoGames posted:

The guy in dead space 1 is a faceless man in a full body suit and even his screams are filtered through it. The deaths are gruesome in both but it's not surprising people react more strongly to an ordinary looking 21 year old.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Super Hot is apparently coming out this month? I don't know how long the game's gonna be but that owns.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Can anyone recommend a decent PC controller? Rumble not required

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jay Rust posted:

DS4

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Hog Inspector posted:

The guy in dead space 1 is a faceless man in a full body suit and even his screams are filtered through it. The deaths are gruesome in both but it's not surprising people react more strongly to an ordinary looking 21 year old.

I dunno Dead Space 2's deaths did make me cringe.

They were basically like how more over the top can we can make it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Jay Rust posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Afterglow-Wired-Controller-Xbox-360-Blue/dp/B00EZKNT18/ref=dp_ob_title_vg

Plug and play. I've been using this controller for 2-3 years now with zero issues.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hog Inspector posted:

Also Dead Space is a horror game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Junpei Hyde posted:

Shadow Hearts isn't a JRPG, it's a GayRPG.

It is very good.

Before they made Demon's Souls, From Software made a really generic JRPG called Enchanted Arms whose sole saving grace was that at the beginning of the game one of your party members was a lisping, mincing gay caricature who played the saxophone.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
This month I'm excited to play Firewatch and XCOM 2, is there anything else coming out in the month of February?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Geight posted:

This month I'm excited to play Firewatch and XCOM 2, is there anything else coming out in the month of February?
Gravity Rush Remastered
Dying Light: The Following
Unravel
Street Fighter V
Fire Emblem Fates
Far Cry Primal for consoles
Crypt of the Necrodancer for PS4/Vita
American Truck Simulator
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime for PS4
Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part 2
SUPERHOT for PC

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Don't forget Can of Worms.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jay Rust posted:

I like the Steam controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

Get a Dualshock 4 or a 360 pad and don't listen to anybody who recommends a steam controller to you

• Locked thread