Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
I guess he likes the cut of his jib.

My father, a retired middle class man who worked his hands to the bone for the railroad his entire life with nothing to show for it, thinks that Donald Trump is a good candidate. He thinks that Trump, a multi-billionaire who's never known the meaning of work, is looking out for his best interests. He thinks that Trump is anti-establishment because he's not a politician and the media says negative things about him. This is a very wealthy man who's admitted to buying politicians, mind you. He is the very definition of "the establishment".

It makes me sad (and a little angry) that my father, my own flesh and blood, the man I looked up to for so many years is completely hoodwinked by this snake oil salesman.

How can I explain to my father, in simple terms, how bad of a man Trump really is? Has anyone experienced this same thing within their own families?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Very carefully

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Your only real choice is to kill your father and say you are him when you go to vote for Bernie Sanders. hth

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
play the 'trump' card on him. when the time comes, youll know what that is.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Orkin Mang posted:

play the 'trump' card on him. when the time comes, youll know what that is.

I'm guessing that means steal his credit cards, max them out, and then hire him as my personal chauffeur so he can try to pay off his debts.

Americun capitalizm.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
challenge your father to a 3 hour debate

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
how many wallscrolls does your dad have? does he prefer strawberry or melon mochi?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ocean Book posted:

challenge your father to a 3 hour debate
Is father a sports fan? Tell him about the time Trump thought he could take an entire minor football league and put it head-to-head against the NFL as an example of his primo business acumen.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
It's too late, once someone has caught Trumpitis there is no known cure. Trump could say he could shoot a man in the street and still win and introduce single payer health care and your dad will vote for him.

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

trump is the candidate we deserve

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Explain that his candidacy was just a joke.

A joke orchestrated by Jews.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
It hasn't been easy for Trump. His father only gave him a small loan of a million dollars. My grandfather would have switched my father if he ever asked for more than money for shoes to go to school.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
My father is not a smart man, but I love him.

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
my father is dead

the sun killed him

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The good news is your father's generation will be around only a few more years to vote for people like this. The bad new is it take years to undo the damage after he is long gone.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
:sever:

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
You. My gfs dad wants trump as well because he's not a politician. He thinks because he's not one, he'll be front facing and honest with everything he does.

We just don't have the heart or energy to correct him.

Although, it is interesting. He worked in construction all his life and also middle class retired. We're on to something here.

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

good thing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I don't think it's a generational thing. We live in an oligarchy where the wealthy control everything. Usually the ultra rich buy politicians and pay the media to further their agenda, but Donald Trump has stepped outside those boundaries. Even Fox News doesn't know how to handle him. He didn't even attend the last Republican debate. He's become so powerful that he's been able to distance himself from mainstream media. It's a scary thing when somebody as rich and powerful as he is can't even be controlled by the very thing that created him. It's the political equivalent of Shelley's Frankenstein.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

All the cool people are abstaining from voting this year.
Ask your dad if he wants to be cool or not. I bet the answer will surprise...you both!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My father in law wants Trump to win and he's a Kiwi who's lived in Canada for the last 40 years.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Good for him. I have reliable sources telling me that Trump will make America great again. If I was voting for president, I would like someone who wants my country to be great.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Lol who cares. votes don't matter anyway

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I, too, was going to vote for trump until I found out Sanders was most likely to legalize weed

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
gbs poster has lovely worthless genes. what a twist

Superior Bastard
Jun 5, 2004

I wanna be on you.

I can only wonder what life will be like if he were to win.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Trump embodies working class social values despite being wealthy. Trust me hillary clinton or mitt romney or whatever other ~establishment~ dude wouldn't be caught dead near professional wrestling or reality tv, but trump is all up in there.

i literally met a muslim trump supporter this weekend, it was pretty surreal. He stated that they couldn't deport him because he lived in the US his whole life, which I expect is what he'll yell from the boat.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Does it shock you when this is the guy's closest republican competitor?

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Donald Trump is the best candidate for president of the United States.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I like the sound of your father.

He sounds like a sensible man.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
My aunt's boyfriend who failed at running his own company supports Trump, and he kept trying to get my dad to see things his way. Thankfully my dad, who supports Sanders, was basically like "lol stfu"

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I'm in the same boat op. My dad enjoys a nice retirement courtesy the firefighter's union, comes from a working-class immigrant family...but he votes straight Tea Party. I just don't get the gently caress you, got mine attitude.

My husband's family is even worse, but I don't have the fortitude to ask any of them if they prefer Trump over Cruz.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

jBrereton posted:

Does it shock you when this is the guy's closest republican competitor?

Why didn't that father strangle the creep who's sexually harassing his young daughter

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I think your father has come to the (correct) conclusion that the democrats are going to choose Hillary as their candidate (rather then Sanders). In this situation it becomes clear that Trump is the better choice. Yes, he campaigns as a Republican, but if you look a little deeper, you'll see that his actual (nonpopulist) policies are closer to those of Bernie's. I don't really see any reason why you should convince your father to change his opinions. It seems he's more than well aware of the current political situation in America. The establishment needs a shock and you can bet your 401k that Hillary isn't the one giving it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Why didn't that father strangle the creep who's sexually harassing his young daughter
Not sure if this is a joke post, but that's Ted Cruz' own daughter being held by a campaign staffer.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Op tell your dad "trump" is slang for farting in britain and if he gets elected theyll make even more fun of us than that one time we had randy bumgardner in some official post

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

That's Ted's daughter.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

SweetKarma posted:

I guess he likes the cut of his jib.

My father, a retired middle class man who worked his hands to the bone for the railroad his entire life with nothing to show for it, thinks that Donald Trump is a good candidate. He thinks that Trump, a multi-billionaire who's never known the meaning of work, is looking out for his best interests. He thinks that Trump is anti-establishment because he's not a politician and the media says negative things about him. This is a very wealthy man who's admitted to buying politicians, mind you. He is the very definition of "the establishment".

It makes me sad (and a little angry) that my father, my own flesh and blood, the man I looked up to for so many years is completely hoodwinked by this snake oil salesman.

How can I explain to my father, in simple terms, how bad of a man Trump really is? Has anyone experienced this same thing within their own families?

Who are you voting for, op?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cartouche posted:

Who are you voting for, op?

i think i can field this one on ops behalf. hes voting for hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy