Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Recently found out that the waterproofing on both my goretex boots was totally hosed, despite them being only 2 years old and in apparently great condition. Sent them to goretex for them to "investigate" but I have no idea what to expect.

On the other hand my previous pair is like 15 years old and is still waterproof despite looking like poo poo.

So is gore tex just trash now? Any good alternatives for waterproof boots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Goretex is a waterproof/breathable membrane. There are several others out now which all work on similar concepts and do basically the same thing.

These membranes can get fouled over time by dirt and sweat, clogging their pores and reducing their breathability. That can make them seem like they aren't waterproof, as you get wet inside cause you sweat and it just stays in there.

Most fabrics with Goretex or other similar membranes have an outer layer treated with a DWR (durable water repellent) which is what makes water bead up on the fabric instead of soaking into it. This isn't the actual waterproof part of Goretex though. Sometimes the DWR gets hosed up, or isn't put on properly in the first place and that makes it harder for the membrane to do it's job.

Maybe your boots have a hosed up DWR cause of something you or the manufacturer did on accident?

Goretex and similar membrane technologies are still great for outdoor stuff though. Hopefully they send you a new pair on warranty or whatever.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Could be crappy seams. Another possibility is contamination; some light boots of mine have meshy parts on them which have become full of fine volcanic dust, and are no longer waterproof.

Proper Gore Tex is kind of magical. I have gaiters of it which are as reliable as cesspool cleaning rubber boots.

What's with all the BS nowadays with "water resistant PTFE free environmentally friendly fabric". Gah. You do realize that's nylon underneath, and that the Nikwax you gotta periodically buy comes in a plastic bottle?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

bawfuls posted:

Maybe your boots have a hosed up DWR cause of something you or the manufacturer did on accident?

Goretex and similar membrane technologies are still great for outdoor stuff though. Hopefully they send you a new pair on warranty or whatever.
These are the model of boots, apparently they recently stopped making them.

The only thing that comes to mind in terms of possible abuse is road salt, since I wear them when walking to/from work in the winter. This city goes loving nuts with salt. I've read about goretex getting messed up and clogged by chemicals, but even then it's still waterproof, just not breathable.

Since it the problem is on both shoes, and is really bad, I'm assuming its probably a manufacturing problem (bad seams?).

meselfs posted:

What's with all the BS nowadays with "water resistant PTFE free environmentally friendly fabric". Gah. You do realize that's nylon underneath, and that the Nikwax you gotta periodically buy comes in a plastic bottle?
Huh I actually didn't know GoreTex was actually teflon. Lol at people thinking it's environmentally unfriendly, your food is packed and cooked in that poo poo.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 2, 2016

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah, basically. I used to work in a lab that had some kind of fluoropolymer in liquid suspension, and it left a nice hydrophobic/nonstick coating (not permanent) on everything it touched. I'd love me some of that in a plastic bottle to spray on things, starting with my backpack...

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Do you use inserts with them? If inserts such as SuperFeet, etc., are used and not fitted properly, they can wear through the membrane.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
No inserts, but their soles were made by vibram, which struck me as sort of gimmicky. Never had problems with the soles though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vibram is one of the cheapest and most worthless sole manufacturers on the planet and the only reason people think they are good is because of the Five Finger Shoes being popular. I've never owned a good pair of shoes that also had Vibram soles anyway. They were always uncomfortable pieces of trash & the sole would come off very fast.

Anyway I've never had Goretex boots that actually stay fully waterproof more than a year or two. I think that stuff just wears out real fast in boots.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Maybe that's the case now, but if my last pair lasted 10+ years I don't see why new ones have to burn out in less than two.

What alternatives are there for truly waterproof hiking boots? Even with 100% leather a bad seam will ruin you. And modern boots have loving seams everywhere, I guess because seams look cool?

Also vibram only did the outsole, not the insole, and browsing REI's site I see that most boots are like that. So if your insoles were coming out then it's probably not vibram's fault. If your outsoles were coming off then :stare:

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 3, 2016

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Maybe that's the case now, but if my last pair lasted 10+ years I don't see why new ones have to burn out in less than two.

What alternatives are there for truly waterproof hiking boots? Even with 100% leather a bad seam will ruin you. And modern boots have loving seams everywhere, I guess because seams look cool?

Also vibram only did the outsole, not the insole, and browsing REI's site I see that most boots are like that. So if your insoles were coming out then it's probably not vibram's fault. If your outsoles were coming off then :stare:

Just curious, how high was the water that soaked through your boots? Cheaper Gore-Tex boots will only be waterproof up to the top of the foot - even if your boot goes up above your ankle.

The other factor to consider is the tongue design. Is it gusseted or could water seep in from there?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've easily put 400km on my Vibram-soled Vasques and the only issue is the toes are worn quite a bit from all the scrambling I've done. Every year I think "I should get new boots" but then they're still in decent enough shape I just haven't bothered. I bought them in 2008.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Vibram soles were a "thing" long before the 5 finger shoes came along. I have no comment on how good or bad they are though

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

HarryPurvis posted:

Just curious, how high was the water that soaked through your boots? Cheaper Gore-Tex boots will only be waterproof up to the top of the foot - even if your boot goes up above your ankle.

The other factor to consider is the tongue design. Is it gusseted or could water seep in from there?
Starting about a year ago my feet were getting wet on weekend trips whenever it rained, but I assumed it was just seeping through the tops. Then a couple months ago I stepped into a stream just three inches deep and water got in within seconds. They're supposed to be waterproof above the ankle, so they're definitely hosed. I'm pretty sure now that they were hosed a year ago on those rainy trips as well. Possibly even when I bought them.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
Sounds like just a random bit of bad luck then.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Vibram makes good shoe rubber....

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I had a pair of work boots with Vibram soles back in the 80's that survived years of abuse.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Make sure you're doing regular maintenance to 'em... for leather boots, rubbing them with nikwax. If you have obvious seam damage, seam sealer can fix it though a lot of people think the boots look really ugly after that. If they're work boots though who gives a poo poo. For non-leather, there's spray on waterproofer that is a lot cheaper than buying new gear...

Retarded Pimp posted:

I had a pair of work boots with Vibram soles back in the 80's that survived years of abuse.

Yeah I have a pair of these guys: http://www.rei.com/product/890384/vasque-talus-mid-pro-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

With a gore membrane and vibram sole. They've been one of the best pairs of boots I've had in a long time. Holding up really well.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Cool GoreTex says I can pick a new set of boots for up to $250 (have to be goretex boots as well). Now I just have to figure out what to get. My old awesome boots were Vasques but it seems they outsourced to China years ago and aren't nearly as good anymore. Seems to be standard now.

Asolo seems to still be made in europe, but I'm finding tons of pictures of them with their outsoles peeling off. Anyone got recommendations?

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Cool GoreTex says I can pick a new set of boots for up to $250 (have to be goretex boots as well). Now I just have to figure out what to get. My old awesome boots were Vasques but it seems they outsourced to China years ago and aren't nearly as good anymore. Seems to be standard now.

Asolo seems to still be made in europe, but I'm finding tons of pictures of them with their outsoles peeling off. Anyone got recommendations?

I've been using the previous model of these Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots for two years now in fall, winter, and springtime hikes. Good support, and comfortable for long treks.

Salomon Quest 4D II GTX

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

HarryPurvis posted:

I've been using the previous model of these Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots for two years now in fall, winter, and springtime hikes. Good support, and comfortable for long treks.

Salomon Quest 4D II GTX

I also own and like these boots. Super comfortable especially for people with wider feet like me, they stay warm and dry enough even when in snow (esp with gaiters) and they hold us well. Trail running shoes are good for light and fast but these boots are better for heavier loads, snow, and other situations you might want more than a running shoe for.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
thirding that salomon quest 4d GTX's are great boots. coming from someone who hates boots.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

HarryPurvis posted:

Salomon Quest 4D II GTX

Yeah the backpacking version looks pretty solid. Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
My Asolos have lasted for 12 years of heavy use with a single resoling, but for the last 4 they were less than watertight.

One thing to be wary of is that Salomons tend to have the midsole blowout after awhile. I'm a big fan of them, but their lifespans tend to limited by the foaminess. I've had three different pairs of Salomons and they've met the same fate.

I might just carry to much poo poo, I dunno.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
i have a pair of keen gore tex boots i've been using for awhile. they're pretty good, no complaints with the water proofed-ness

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I've got a pair of Keen Targhee II's (Keendry) that I've been wearing almost a year and they have been great. Feet get a little sweaty but unless I go in over boot they stay dry.

Worn them everywhere from slushy city streets to Canadian shield backpacking and canoe trips.

My work boots are a pair of STC X-ray's (Goretex) and are twice the price of the Targhee's. They don't breathe at all really, and seem to have small seepage leaks when in puddles but definitely keep my feet much dryer then my last pair of non-goretex boots.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Vibram the brand owns a proprietary type of leather used to make soles which can be good or bad depending on how the shoes are made.

I have a pair of goretex keen workboots that own bones and shed water very well still. My Take A Hike!ing boots are from Oboz and they also own. I have walked the Inca trail and parts of the Appalachian Trail and the camino real in them and they are great.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have never had a pair of waterproof boots stay that way for more then a year, usually its a rip or seam damage. My strategy this year is going to be waterproof socks with a sock liner.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Vapor Barrier

:rms: the stink

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Can always waterproof the outside with sno seal etc

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

I have never had a pair of waterproof boots stay that way for more then a year, usually its a rip or seam damage. My strategy this year is going to be waterproof socks with a sock liner.
Waterproof breathable socks? Because if they're not breathable then you're going to have a bad time. Do waterproof breathable socks even exist?

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 26, 2016

black children
Dec 14, 2009

Uranium 235 posted:

Waterproof breathable socks? Because if they're not breathable then you're going to have a bad time. Do waterproof breathable socks even exist?

now i'm picturing like rubber socks? never heard of waterproof socks before

bongwizzard posted:

just get some bad rear end leather boots, anything made of leather is waterproof with the right treatments. wax & grease

http://nicksboots.com/product/robert-stock/ i know 450$ is a lot but you will never spend a better cent than the cent you spend on your boots

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

black children posted:

just get some bad rear end leather boots, anything made of leather is waterproof with the right treatments. wax & grease

http://nicksboots.com/product/robert-stock/ i know 450$ is a lot but you will never spend a better cent than the cent you spend on your boots

Not super familiar with this brand, but lots of high end leather boots like this can easily be rebuilt after a few years by a cobbler. Soles are super easy to replace and even new leather panels can be cut and installed. They take a little bit of maintenance but boots like this can literally last you a lifetime in a Theseus' boot sort of way.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

black children posted:

The one design flaw in these is they're not quite tall enough to give a wedgie

http://barneyssports.com/footwear/overboots-hipboots/frontier-gear-of-alaska-glacier-socks.html

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I've been loving my Danner 435's but they are made in China now so ymmv.

black children
Dec 14, 2009

TheDon01 posted:

Not super familiar with this brand, but lots of high end leather boots like this can easily be rebuilt after a few years by a cobbler. Soles are super easy to replace and even new leather panels can be cut and installed. They take a little bit of maintenance but boots like this can literally last you a lifetime in a Theseus' boot sort of way.
also totally true. Nick's is really good about this, they charge a reasonable fee but will rebuild any of their boots no matter the damage

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Uranium 235 posted:

Yes, they're pretty cool because you can buy regular leather boots and then only use the membrane when it's going to be really sloppy.

Killing Flies
Jun 30, 2007

We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.
I did a 64 mile hike over 24 hours in a Wisconsin winter once. It was through the North Kettle Moraine, so pretty technical relative to the state. My training hikes leading up to it let me try out a bunch if different shoe/sock/traction set ups. I think it's a really personal decision since it's about comfort, and it's really up to how you sweat, etc.

What worked for me though is ditching the hiking boots and going with trail runners. Under the shoes is a waterproof sock like sealskinz. Under that, a really light liner sock, almost like nylons. Bring 1 extra pair of those. Then I just stopped every 6-8 hours and traded out one pair of liners for another. Probably didn't have to trade them out because my feet stayed perfectly dry in the soupy slush and snow, but it was more of a mental thing. Fresh socks, fresh feet. Otherwise, water drains right out of the shoe. Shoe gets wet, feet don't, they dry our as you hike within a few minutes, and they don't clump up with snow and mud.

Now I only wear my Merrell hikers for relatively short hikes or camping. Turns out ankle support isn't really a big thing for me, but ymmv. I also now know you only need traction devices like micro spikes or yaktrax if you're looking at a lot of ice. The odd patch is fine if you keep your eyes open. I also carried a small bottle of talc to help dry my feet out if the sealskinz failed, or if they didnt breath enough and sweat pooled, but I've never even opened it. Only thing I do differently is sometimes I add a wool sock over the liners and under the sealskinz if it's a colder day and the hiking alone doesn't keep my toes warm.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Since wet shoes are the topic... What do you guys do to keep water from trickling down your shins/pants right into your boots?

I just finished a two day hike and there were calf/knee height shrubs along the entire trail, just soaking my shins in water.

Granted it was raining the entire time and my shoes are completely worn out, but there must be a better way.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

That's easy, gaiters! I was opposed to them (one more piece of gear, bleh) until recently when I caved and tried them for travel in deep snow. They are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

meselfs posted:

That's easy, gaiters! I was opposed to them (one more piece of gear, bleh) until recently when I caved and tried them for travel in deep snow. They are awesome.

Seconding this. Gaiters are amazing in wet / damp conditions.

• Locked thread