Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Maybe that's the case now, but if my last pair lasted 10+ years I don't see why new ones have to burn out in less than two.

What alternatives are there for truly waterproof hiking boots? Even with 100% leather a bad seam will ruin you. And modern boots have loving seams everywhere, I guess because seams look cool?

Also vibram only did the outsole, not the insole, and browsing REI's site I see that most boots are like that. So if your insoles were coming out then it's probably not vibram's fault. If your outsoles were coming off then :stare:

Just curious, how high was the water that soaked through your boots? Cheaper Gore-Tex boots will only be waterproof up to the top of the foot - even if your boot goes up above your ankle.

The other factor to consider is the tongue design. Is it gusseted or could water seep in from there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
Sounds like just a random bit of bad luck then.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Cool GoreTex says I can pick a new set of boots for up to $250 (have to be goretex boots as well). Now I just have to figure out what to get. My old awesome boots were Vasques but it seems they outsourced to China years ago and aren't nearly as good anymore. Seems to be standard now.

Asolo seems to still be made in europe, but I'm finding tons of pictures of them with their outsoles peeling off. Anyone got recommendations?

I've been using the previous model of these Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots for two years now in fall, winter, and springtime hikes. Good support, and comfortable for long treks.

Salomon Quest 4D II GTX

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

meselfs posted:

That's easy, gaiters! I was opposed to them (one more piece of gear, bleh) until recently when I caved and tried them for travel in deep snow. They are awesome.

Seconding this. Gaiters are amazing in wet / damp conditions.

• Locked thread