Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killing Flies
Jun 30, 2007

We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.
I did a 64 mile hike over 24 hours in a Wisconsin winter once. It was through the North Kettle Moraine, so pretty technical relative to the state. My training hikes leading up to it let me try out a bunch if different shoe/sock/traction set ups. I think it's a really personal decision since it's about comfort, and it's really up to how you sweat, etc.

What worked for me though is ditching the hiking boots and going with trail runners. Under the shoes is a waterproof sock like sealskinz. Under that, a really light liner sock, almost like nylons. Bring 1 extra pair of those. Then I just stopped every 6-8 hours and traded out one pair of liners for another. Probably didn't have to trade them out because my feet stayed perfectly dry in the soupy slush and snow, but it was more of a mental thing. Fresh socks, fresh feet. Otherwise, water drains right out of the shoe. Shoe gets wet, feet don't, they dry our as you hike within a few minutes, and they don't clump up with snow and mud.

Now I only wear my Merrell hikers for relatively short hikes or camping. Turns out ankle support isn't really a big thing for me, but ymmv. I also now know you only need traction devices like micro spikes or yaktrax if you're looking at a lot of ice. The odd patch is fine if you keep your eyes open. I also carried a small bottle of talc to help dry my feet out if the sealskinz failed, or if they didnt breath enough and sweat pooled, but I've never even opened it. Only thing I do differently is sometimes I add a wool sock over the liners and under the sealskinz if it's a colder day and the hiking alone doesn't keep my toes warm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread