Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Standish
May 21, 2001

Bryter posted:

I'm pretty sure all those young people who earn 69 grand he's talking about have already been "taxed out of existence" because I've never loving met any.
To be fair to him, it is quite easy to earn 69k straight out of college when your daddy owns a hedge fund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

RTE2 has a "Facebook Election Special" on tonight ahead of the next leaders debate on Tuesday - live questions from the studio audience, Facebook and Twitter hosted at Facebook's offices in Dublin. No leaders are coming along but they've pulled together a motley crew of representatives - Leo for FG, Mary Lou for SF, Timmy Dooley for FF, Aodhán Ó Ríordáin for Labour and some really rather bizarre other picks to fill out the panel including Eamon Ryan of the Greens, former FF senator turned Independent Averil Power and AAA-PBP's candidate for Carlow-Kilkenny Adrienne Wallace

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And a medium who will act as a satellite link for the deceased Jackie Healy-Rae

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

This is like an audition for "I want to be the next leader of my party"

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Eamon Ryan has some proper balls laying into Facebook's tax avoidance schemes while sitting in their HQ

good on him

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kustomkarkommando posted:

Eamon Ryan has some proper balls laying into Facebook's tax avoidance schemes while sitting in their HQ

good on him

Indeed and it reminds people of the Green Party. They are still a thing!

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Who are still a thing?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does anywhere liveblog these things?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

julian assflange posted:

Does anywhere liveblog these things?

well the major interest on twitter at the moment is the shaky camera work

and this

https://twitter.com/marktigheST/status/701537413940641792

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Well any good will Eamon Ryan may have built up from attacking Facebook over their tax avoidance may have just evaporated after he started insisting that women where having abortions because as a culture we don't value motherhood

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Well any good will Eamon Ryan may have built up from attacking Facebook over their tax avoidance may have just evaporated after he started insisting that women where having abortions because as a culture we don't value motherhood

:stare: RIP Greens

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Greens have been dead since the last election.

I have gone through all the candidates in my constituency and picked out my top three. SF, AAA and an Independent, probably not in that order. Still not sure about the SF one but she seems decent on paper.

lemonadesweetheart fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 22, 2016

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Did Greens fall hard from broken pledges with FF as Labour have with FG?

Seems to me like they increased the number of wind farms across ireland which I can only assume is their sole policy.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
They also introduced a new Motor Tax (yearly registration fee for car owners) regime in 2008 that effectively punishes poor people who can't upgrade their older cars to newer ones. You have a situation where older cars that are worth €2000 could be paying €800 a year in tax, whereas someone driving a brand new €60,000 car might only be paying €150 a year. I think that still annoys a lot of people.

(the tax rates are based on CO2 emissions, which means anything built before 2010 or so pays much higher rates since the engines were less emissions-efficiency-orientated)

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Many banks are doing this also. Free banking if you keep more than €2000 in your current account at all times (AIB), lodge more than €1500 a month (Ulster Bank).

It could easily cost you €100 a year just in banking fees if you don't adhere to the above.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

New Ipsos MORI poll for the Irish Times puts Labour at 6%

Its also the fourth poll out now showing a dip for SF in recent days, the drops have ranged between 1 and 4% so its not massive but a sign that the momentum they hoped to build with the campaign may not be materialising as planned.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Resurrecting cork south central chat from previous pages it's looking like 2 FF, 1 FG (Coveney not Buttimer) and 1 SF based on some recent constituency polling

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/poll-shows-big-breakthrough-for-sinn-fein-in-cork-south-central-721735.html

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Resurrecting cork south central chat from previous pages it's looking like 2 FF, 1 FG (Coveney not Buttimer) and 1 SF based on some recent constituency polling

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/poll-shows-big-breakthrough-for-sinn-fein-in-cork-south-central-721735.html

I haven't heard much good or bad either way about O'Laoghaire so why not. The other three have to be nailed on by now.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
Hi Ireland I hope you don't mind questions from foreigns because I have two

A) Is there any clarification as to what the gently caress went on with that boxing weigh-in shooting. I read that the CIRA have both claimed responsibility and denied it and it seems like the Garda think they were there along with the gangland shooters, plus the dressing up as a woman still seems like a classic dissident urban commando pretension, so is part / all of the CIRA that flagrantly deep into the drug trade or do they imagine another agenda or what is actually happening

B) I know people joke about Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael being interchangeable, but I find it really hard to grasp what even the nominal distinction is between the parties as it seems nothing to do with typical European political division lines. Is there anything that would make an Irish voter choose one over the other, beyond who most recently hosed up in government

Thank you for your time and best of luck generating a tolerable electoral outcome

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

GimpChimp posted:

Hi Ireland I hope you don't mind questions from foreigns because I have two

A) Is there any clarification as to what the gently caress went on with that boxing weigh-in shooting. I read that the CIRA have both claimed responsibility and denied it and it seems like the Garda think they were there along with the gangland shooters, plus the dressing up as a woman still seems like a classic dissident urban commando pretension, so is part / all of the CIRA that flagrantly deep into the drug trade or do they imagine another agenda or what is actually happening

B) I know people joke about Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael being interchangeable, but I find it really hard to grasp what even the nominal distinction is between the parties as it seems nothing to do with typical European political division lines. Is there anything that would make an Irish voter choose one over the other, beyond who most recently hosed up in government

Thank you for your time and best of luck generating a tolerable electoral outcome

A) The initial claim that it was CIRA seems bogus. It was either an attempt by someone in the CIRA to get relevance for the organisation, or a complete hoax. Members of Republican Sinn Fein, the political wing of the CIRA said the claim was bogus and an attempt to smear the CIRA.

Most signs point to the shooting being revenge for a gang hit in Spain last year.

Bit of extra info. The regency hotel is one of the Dublin city hotels being used by the city council to house homeless families. A girl I know said her friend was living there at the time.

B) There's gently caress all difference to be honest. Fine Gael are a bit more right-wing, consider themselves less corrupt but just have had less time in leadership to really dip their beaks. The time they are in charge they do just as much corrupt dealings as Fianna Fail.

Fianna Fail would be centrist and Fine Gael more centre right. Fine Gael looked to the Tory government in England for tips on winning the election so I guess you could call them our Tories.

The reason people voted one over the other was like choosing a football team. You had the club your father supported and that's the one you'll support. Unless they really gently caress like FF did in the run up to the Great Recession.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GimpChimp posted:

The OP of this thread is really well put together and covers this. It also has this which explains the voting habits of at least half the population, regardless of policies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjl8OIZijjY

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

KInda neat thing that runs through some of the issues to give you a better idea on which candidate to pick.

http://www.whichcandidate.ie/

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

lemonadesweetheart posted:

KInda neat thing that runs through some of the issues to give you a better idea on which candidate to pick.

http://www.whichcandidate.ie/

There seems to be quite a proliferation of these types of sites this election cycle. There's also:

http://www.votomatic.ie/

http://smartvote.ie/

I think smartvote has the best interface of the three of them.

I really wish this debate tonight wasn't just the 4 party leaders. Quite worried its going to be another shoutfest with no substance given no Boyd-Barrett/Donnelly/Lucinda there.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

It seems pretty dumb to cut back to only 4 after the 7 way was praised as a generally good show, if its another shouty performance were reaching the stage it might negatively effect the actual results

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

It seems pretty dumb to cut back to only 4 after the 7 way was praised as a generally good show, if its another shouty performance were reaching the stage it might negatively effect the actual results

What is the reason for them cutting it to 4 anyway?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Cabinet posted:

What is the reason for them cutting it to 4 anyway?

I don't think they've given any, the SocDems have called it state censorship and Lucinda has raised a racket about it as well.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Blindboy from the Rubberbandits on Anton Savage again pretty pissed off that none of the parties have anything real to say about mental health and that they dont really care about it. http://www.todayfm.com/player/podca...ection_-_Week_3

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

StoneOfShame posted:

Blindboy from the Rubberbandits on Anton Savage again pretty pissed off that none of the parties have anything real to say about mental health and that they dont really care about it. http://www.todayfm.com/player/podca...ection_-_Week_3

He had a whole segment about that on the Des Bishop Rte2 youth targeted election show last night, must be an issue fairly close to him.

That show wasn't as bad as I had expected, actually. Obviously pitched a bit low to try and target people not too interested in politics, but not awfully so.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Blut posted:

He had a whole segment about that on the Des Bishop Rte2 youth targeted election show last night, must be an issue fairly close to him.

That show wasn't as bad as I had expected, actually. Obviously pitched a bit low to try and target people not too interested in politics, but not awfully so.

Yeah he's been sharing a short documentary about suicide prevention volunteers in Limerick as well, its certainly very important to him. he's a pretty astute analyst I think and getting people engaged in politics is always a good thing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

GimpChimp posted:

Marenghi posted:

A) The initial claim that it was CIRA seems bogus. It was either an attempt by someone in the CIRA to get relevance for the organisation, or a complete hoax. Members of Republican Sinn Fein, the political wing of the CIRA said the claim was bogus and an attempt to smear the CIRA.
Most signs point to the shooting being revenge for a gang hit in Spain last year.
Bit of extra info. The regency hotel is one of the Dublin city hotels being used by the city council to house homeless families. A girl I know said her friend was living there at the time.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-35572804

quote:

According to the Irish edition of The Sunday Times, police have identified two of the six gunmen who shot David Byrne dead and wounded two other men.
The two attackers were photographed by journalists while leaving the hotel.
It is reported one has been identified as a paramilitary from County Tyrone.
The other, who was dressed as a woman, is thought to be a Dublin criminal.

I am Co Tyrone myself, and knowing how loving retarded the paramilitaries there, I am surprised one thought of using a disguise to do it.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Could have taken the job for money

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

With the debate about to start peep the latest seat projections RTE has put together

RTE" posted:

Fine Gael 53, Fianna Fáil 33, Sinn Féin 27, Labour 12, PBP four, Social Democrats five, Green Party two, Renua two, Independent Alliance three, Others 17.

With a caveat that Labour have been given 4 extra projected seats based on past performance re: percentage of the vote and seats held - a past trend that may not hold up considering the shift to younger faces?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

What the gently caress is this

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
It's actually kind of stunning that, without exception, the leaders come across as so incompetent and unprofessional compared to the surrogates in the last debate

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Gerry asked "Who is Senator Cahill?" twice after Enda brought her up. ooh er.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Somehow all 4 of them are losing at the same time. Awful.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Bryter posted:

It's actually kind of stunning that, without exception, the leaders come across as so incompetent and unprofessional compared to the surrogates in the last debate

I wonder if they had an audience whether it would make a difference or not - might make them wind their necks in a bit

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No audience and everyone on Twitter says the stage is...creaking? Our national broadcaster....

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

If you listen carefully you can actually hear the political system creaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

happyhippy posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-35572804

I am Co Tyrone myself, and knowing how loving retarded the paramilitaries there, I am surprised one thought of using a disguise to do it.

Aye a lot of my best friends are from Omagh and they have many comedy stories about retarded paramilitaries, love Omagh great town McCanns is a class pub.

• Locked thread