Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

signalnoise posted:

I've done this and he asks for the most expensive poo poo ever. Dude is a nerd's nerd and I try to get him stuff I genuinely think he'll like, this included, and I refuse to buy gift certificates for people because it defeats the whole fuckin purpose of a gift exchange

I admit I worded the previous post dumbly though making it look like every other gift I've given him was not a nerdly poo poo

Ah ok, sorry for being sassy, that's how my sister gives gifts and never seems to understand why no one is terribly excited to get a box set for a TV show they've never heard of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ZearothK posted:

So, since this is the day of Baby Jesus' coming and all that, what are people's experiences with Shadow of the Demon Lord?

I missed the session where our goon group ran it, but the people who were there were raving about it - it's a love letter to Warhammer Fantasy with a "prestige class" system that actually makes sense and an Advantage/Disadvantage mechanic that actually makes sense.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Shadow of the Demon Lord also has a lot of really good support, with new, small supplements (new classes, monsters, races, adventures, and small rules plug-ins) coming out once a week for about a a year now, and an alternate setting book in alpha. Robert Schwab is a loving machine,and I've been kicking myself for not backing it when it was Kickstarting. (in my defense, I didn't know how good it was going to be at the time)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Happy Hogswatch~

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Countblanc posted:

Ah ok, sorry for being sassy, that's how my sister gives gifts and never seems to understand why no one is terribly excited to get a box set for a TV show they've never heard of

Its cool

On the upside HOLY poo poo MY BRO IN LAW ACTUALLY LIKED IT AT FIRST SIGHT

This is one for the books folks

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

Happy Hogswatch~

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Happy annual near solstice gathering time. I have injured myself hauling presents.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So how did everyone make out with gaming gifts?

I got the new Guild Ball starter set, a Descent expansion, and the Arkham Horror LCG (which admittedly was a gift to myself).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I did Well.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
I got an airbrush and Pandemic: Cthulhu, definitely not complaining!

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Evil Mastermind posted:

Shadow of the Demon Lord also has a lot of really good support, with new, small supplements (new classes, monsters, races, adventures, and small rules plug-ins) coming out once a week for about a a year now, and an alternate setting book in alpha. Robert Schwab is a loving machine,and I've been kicking myself for not backing it when it was Kickstarting. (in my defense, I didn't know how good it was going to be at the time)

Goddamnit, over the holiday I've heard shadow raved about a bunch and started reading up on it, and it looks awesome. Too bad I decided to be all noble and poo poo (read: couldn't think of anything I actually wanted that I wasn't planning to buy myself) and told the family to just donate to various dirty commie librul causes this year in lieu of presents.

On the other hand, watching the Trumpist sub-faction of my family squirm trying to decide whether a donation to Southern Poverty, ACLU, Planned Parenthood, or the AFL-CIO pained them less still filled me with holiday cheer.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, I picked up the Illuminated Eddas by the guys who did Fate of the Norns, and, uh... I was kind of expecting an actual version of the Eddas, but unless this guy has access to completely different Eddas from what Wikipedia describes (which I guess is possible) this doesn't seem very true to the originals at all.

Is anybody else reading these?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Picked up Rogue Stars an Osprey scifi skirmish Wargame. Miniature agnostic.

Looks good. Will report back.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

I got nothing for Christmas.

As usual. :emo:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

one of my GMs gave me a game on my steam wishlist while my own family didn't even gave me a phone call :shobon:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Evil Mastermind posted:

I got a shogi board

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I bought Xwangs for the kids and I. Played four or so small games. Good fun.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I don't like asking my family for tabletop rpg books because they wouldn't know what those were/where to get them and I don't want to be a bother

I did get a very nice stand mixer though, and I'm excited to make baked goods in it.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I picked up some Godbound stuff and also got a bunch of booze for Christmas so it was a pretty good haul

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't like asking my family for tabletop rpg books because they wouldn't know what those were/where to get them and I don't want to be a bother

I did get a very nice stand mixer though, and I'm excited to make baked goods in it.

Stand mixers are soooo good. I got one of those and a food processor at the same time and it's barely an exaggeration to say they changed my life.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Got a couple of video games but it was a relatively low-key Christmas this year, present-wise, due to finances.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Are you like bizarre-o past me? Same but like three years ago.

I got a super fancy cleaver and a bunch of other cooking stuff. This is definitely not my mom bribing me to cook since I'm visiting until early January, nope. (Little does she know that her kitchen is three times bigger than mine I live in Harlem, gently caress yes I will cook anything just to be able to not balance a cutting board over the sink.)

Also my goal of the vacation is to get my parents drunk enough to nerd game. I got them up to Agricola. This year I've got Love Letter and The Quiet Year.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Stand mixers are soooo good. I got one of those and a food processor at the same time and it's barely an exaggeration to say they changed my life.

Yeah, like almost every recipe I have involving cake, pie, cupcakes, and cookies mentions using a stand mixer. I've gotten by with a hand mixer fine, but I'm sure this will make life way easier.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Are you like bizarre-o past me? Same but like three years ago.

I got a super fancy cleaver and a bunch of other cooking stuff. This is definitely not my mom bribing me to cook since I'm visiting until early January, nope. (Little does she know that her kitchen is three times bigger than mine I live in Harlem, gently caress yes I will cook anything just to be able to not balance a cutting board over the sink.)

Also my goal of the vacation is to get my parents drunk enough to nerd game. I got them up to Agricola. This year I've got Love Letter and The Quiet Year.

I got some other kitchen things, too. I'm probably being bribed to continue making christmas dinner, plus the turkey and stuffing for thanksgiving. I can convince my mom and sister to do something like Settlers of Catan, but pulling out a more esoteric board game than that would be too much

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Got Dragon Rampant and Horizon Wars, as well as my personal purchases this month, The Nightmares Underneath, and the Palladium RPG Splicers(like most Palladium games the system is ridiculous but the setting is pretty interesting)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SunAndSpring posted:

I picked up some Godbound stuff and also got a bunch of booze for Christmas so it was a pretty good haul

Godbound is pretty legit, probably my favorite Kevin Crawford game yet.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bleh, every year I receive clothes and cash, maybe a gift card or two. To be fair I never actually ask for anything for Christmas, so it's not like my family is bad at shopping, I just don't really want anything.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
A friend got me some Brawl decks I didn't have already. Getting closer to a full set.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Oh yeah and I got $25 in Amazon credit which I used to buy Fate of Indines

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I got a sunlamp, which is a real blessing because I don't think I've seen the actual sun for two months now.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I got a game called Monster Rejects. I haven't looked at it yet but the box gives me an Exploding Kittens vibe.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I didn't get anything gamey, but I did get my family playing Millions of Dollars last night. We've also played Ticket to Ride (Mum's favourite) and Suburbia, and my brother and I stayed up far too late playing Battlecon.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I didn't get anything :sigh:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Asked for the Edge of the Empire core book, got this instead. Did get to try a few new boardgames and play in a 3v3 of X-Wing so a good holiday all told.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I got Into the Bayou for Through the Breach. At last, chargen rules for tiny green swamp hillbillies. Oh, and my physical copy of the Masks Corebook showed up in the mail on the 24th, which is sort of like a Christmas present but since I paid for it myself earlier in the year, eh.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
This is a bit off topic but I'm looking for a wargame rule set to run battles using toys as the figures. I remember I had a game like that but I can't find my print copy. It had rules to figure out point costs for types of toys - everything from army men to barbies and transformers. Does anyone know what game I'm thinking of?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

So, I picked up the Illuminated Eddas by the guys who did Fate of the Norns, and, uh... I was kind of expecting an actual version of the Eddas, but unless this guy has access to completely different Eddas from what Wikipedia describes (which I guess is possible) this doesn't seem very true to the originals at all.

Is anybody else reading these?

Well, the Kickstarter said

quote:

If if you're a veteran and have several translations of the Eddas already, you will find wondrous new epics that bridge all of the gaps and inconsistencies which exist within the originals.

So…

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone know a place where I can get custom sized miniatures foam? I have a masterful goddamn storage solution for my minis stuff and if I could get foam cut to fit it I would just probably die of satisfaction

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Those of you who got nothing for christmas... hey, next year why not join in the TG secret santa? You'll get something for Christmas, and also get to give another TG goon something for Christmas too!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

That Old Tree posted:

Well, the Kickstarter said

So…

Yeah, possibly, I just would not have interpreted that as "Jotun apologia fanfiction."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Anyone know a place where I can get custom sized miniatures foam? I have a masterful goddamn storage solution for my minis stuff and if I could get foam cut to fit it I would just probably die of satisfaction

A hardware store?

I got 2 Pathfinder books, a Gundam model, and a computer game. Both Horror Adventures and Ultimate Intrigue are plenty meaty with lots to sink my teeth into.

• Locked thread