Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Leperflesh posted:

Those of you who got nothing for christmas... hey, next year why not join in the TG secret santa? You'll get something for Christmas, and also get to give another TG goon something for Christmas too!

Money, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Carve a set of dice for your santee out of soap

ideally lavender-scented

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

clockworkjoe posted:

This is a bit off topic but I'm looking for a wargame rule set to run battles using toys as the figures. I remember I had a game like that but I can't find my print copy. It had rules to figure out point costs for types of toys - everything from army men to barbies and transformers. Does anyone know what game I'm thinking of?

Fuzzy Heroes.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Alternatively, say farewell to childish things and use Beer and Pretzels

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm running a Christmas-special one-shot Feng Shui game and could use some badass/ballin' Christmas music. Anybody hear anything fun this season? The setpieces so far are a: 1. A lovely Midwestern mall; 2. The Coca Cola bottling plant in Changsha, China; 3. An assault on Santa's city-fortress at the North Pole.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
You've gotta use Christmas in Hollis.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Apparently the local game store is pretty great because my parents went there to get me a present and on the advice of someone who works there they got me Code of Nine, which is a new game from the designer of Tragedy Looper. On top of that there was the stuff from my TG secret santa (FAE, Fellowship, and TFOS), and my sister is late mailing me whatever she got, and since she works at a game store it's most likely going to be something tabletop.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Yes! Definitely on the playlist, gonna be great for the Agent Smith-style mall Santa brawl.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I wouldn't exactly call Code of Nine new, I got a copy two years ago at GenCon. And unfortunately it isn't very good either as far as that style of game goes - it really doesn't offer anything that Agricola doesn't do better. :\

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ettin posted:

I got a game called Monster Rejects. I haven't looked at it yet but the box gives me an Exploding Kittens vibe.

It's actually the second best Rob Zombie movie after Halloween

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kai Tave posted:

Trans-Siberian Orchestra "Christmas Eve / Sarajevo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHioIlbnS_A

Annie Lennox's rendition of "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" (the rare version of the song that really understands what the real meaning of Christmas is - namely, the end of the world)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlsJD8RlhbI

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FMguru posted:

Trans-Siberian Orchestra "Christmas Eve / Sarajevo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHioIlbnS_A

Annie Lennox's rendition of "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" (the rare version of the song that really understands what the real meaning of Christmas is - namely, the end of the world)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlsJD8RlhbI

TSO's "Wizards in Winter" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFLOh44P5z0) is less well known but I like it better. When they do it live there's a frankly ridiculous amount of pyro.

The Kinks' "Father Christmas" would be fun for the mall scene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjaPXihbORk

If the bottling plant scene is creepy, it needs creepy piano: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKdjSUEHaJ0, possibly transitioning into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDB1dZLje58

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
All I want for Christmas is to kick your rear end for sure.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Interesting but I finally found it - Toy War: http://www.wargamevault.com/product/17613/Toy-War?it=1

Thanks though. I might check this out as well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A Beta character creator for the new Conan RPG by Modiphius is up:
http://conan.modiphiusapps.hostinguk.org/

The company has been sending drafts out to backers for proofreading along with their paid proofreaders, and making edits and changes based on feedback, which is a pretty cool thing for them to do.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Leperflesh posted:

A Beta character creator for the new Conan RPG by Modiphius is up:
http://conan.modiphiusapps.hostinguk.org/

The company has been sending drafts out to backers for proofreading along with their paid proofreaders, and making edits and changes based on feedback, which is a pretty cool thing for them to do.

Yes, outsourcing proofreading to customers is a cool and good thing for a group that are ostensibly writers to do.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does anyone have any strong opinions on this Reaper Minis starter paints set? Is it a good deal for someome like me who's never really painted minis?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Sion posted:

Yes, outsourcing proofreading to customers is a cool and good thing for a group that are ostensibly writers to do.

So you didn't read the part of the post where he mentions that it's in addition to the paid proofreaders? Jesus, it's not even a long paragraph or anything.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Hypnobeard posted:

So you didn't read the part of the post where he mentions that it's in addition to the paid proofreaders? Jesus, it's not even a long paragraph or anything.

No I read that but... they have paid proofreaders, right? Are they just lovely proofreader and they need more or...?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sion posted:

No I read that but... they have paid proofreaders, right? Are they just lovely proofreader and they need more or...?
More eyes is never a bad thing. Paid proofreaders aren't infallible and it costs no one anything to have people who want to look it over for mistakes do so.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does anyone have any strong opinions on this Reaper Minis starter paints set? Is it a good deal for someome like me who's never really painted minis?

It's not a bad starter kit, really. It has most of the base colors you'd need for painting a lot of things, and the only things I'd suggest picking up in addition to that is a brown and black wash (I'm partial to Army Painter Strong Tone and Dark Tone) and probably a red color of some sort.

The fact that it's under $40 is a big selling point IMO. Bones models aren't a bad starting point either, since you can get away with not having to use a primer (though it helps) and don't have to assemble anything. I strongly suggest looking the models over if you get them; if anything's bent out of shape, dunk the affected part in hot water until it gets malleable (a few seconds), shape them straight, then immediately dunk in ice cold water to set it. Many of the Bones models with thin parts like spears and bows tend to have warpage like that, but its easy to fix.

Consider also making a wet pallet. There's a lot of guides for that, but essentially you stick a wet sponge in a tupperware container with a little bit of water and put some parchment paper on top of the sponge. Keeps your paint wet without watering it down, and costs like $3 to make.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

More eyes is never a bad thing. Paid proofreaders aren't infallible and it costs no one anything to have people who want to look it over for mistakes do so.

This. And the proofreading isn't just copyediting, it's checking the rules for vagueness, etc.

As a Highly Paid Technical WriterTM, in my professional opinion: there is no such thing as a "perfect" technical document, and more eyes/more reviews/more feedback is always better. There are always practical and financial limits, but you do what you can.

This practice is allowing KS backers to get first look at draft rules and provide their feedback. Just like a beta of a video game, this undoubtedly creates a big job of handling all the incoming feedback, which will vary wildly in quality; but, experience suggests it's still a worthwhile endeavor provided you don't try to outright replace the more formal editorial process by actual professional experts (who, as Sion suggests, should be paid).

I do not know for a fact that Modiphius pays their proofreaders. This is an excerpt from the email sent to backers:

quote:

Hi everyone, just in time for Christmas we have the revised core book with all the error corrections completed along with some updates to the artwork placement!

We are now sending this to our proof readers and would also like you to help spot any errors we've all missed. Let's give this process until Sunday 8th January at midnight to send in reports. We'll then do the final fixes and get this beautiful book off to print!

You'll find the core book in the usual download chapter (we have deleted old versions of the book and chapters to avoid confusion). We'll send this update out by email to all core book backers tomorrow so if you can't find the link please be patient.

So it's still possible that Modiphius are shitbirds for not paying their proofreaders, I dunno. But I'll be generous and assume they are paying their proofreaders and are just inviting their backers to provide feedback before going to print, which - if managed well - is likely to both improve quality and please their customers.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh, I've got a ton of Reaper Bones from way back in the first KS. I just never got around to getting paints or anything.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, I've got a ton of Reaper Bones from way back in the first KS. I just never got around to getting paints or anything.

Oh, well, then those colors will cover a lot of ground. You'll definitely want to pick up more as you go along, but buy what you need at the time, not what you think you'll need in the future.*

I have a lot of Reaper paints, and I find that they're good quality. They don't have the sheer breadth of choices like Vallejo, but they thin well, come in dropper bottles, and are inexpensive. You can't really go wrong with them as a choice.

* That said, there's going to be colors you'll need a lot of. The three primary (red, blue, yellow) come up a lot, as does black, white, brown, and metallic colors. So, some of these you might want to buy ahead of time if you think you'll need them, so be sure to go through your collection and think about what you may require down the road. I also again stress getting washes, because they can make even the sloppiest of paint jobs look good. Dipping is also a consideration, which we're discussing in the painting thread right now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

A hardware store?

I got 2 Pathfinder books, a Gundam model, and a computer game. Both Horror Adventures and Ultimate Intrigue are plenty meaty with lots to sink my teeth into.

Add 15 FR books for my collection, and the Villain Codex and Rappan Athuk for Pathfinder. Sweeeet.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Thanks to folks in this thread mentioning Shadow of the Demon Lord I decided to finally take a look at my copy and got hooked. This seems like a system I could really get into with some incredibly good design. Planning to start a game of it soon.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I started reading SotDL and I appreciate that while it's dark fantasy, it doesn't really get into that whole cliche "grimdark" stuff that's really annoying.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

Thanks to folks in this thread mentioning Shadow of the Demon Lord I decided to finally take a look at my copy and got hooked. This seems like a system I could really get into with some incredibly good design. Planning to start a game of it soon.

Schwalb is a hell of a designer, writing some of the best works of the d20-era. Certainly I'd put him head-and-shoulders above guys like Cook and Mearls, and I'm glad to see that he's been able to set up a self-owned ecosystem he can flourish and publish in freely.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Schwalb is a hell of a designer, writing some of the best works of the d20-era. Certainly I'd put him head-and-shoulders above guys like Cook and Mearls, and I'm glad to see that he's been able to set up a self-owned ecosystem he can flourish and publish in freely.

Yeah, since reading through the core book and getting hooked, I've gone on a bit of a buying spree for the supplements. I've yet to be disappointed in anything I've bought and read, and it seems that Schwalb is a machine. I just finished Forbidden Rules and you could basically use it to hack SotDL into anything you want which is pretty drat good for a one-man outfit.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I started reading SotDL and I appreciate that while it's dark fantasy, it doesn't really get into that whole cliche "grimdark" stuff that's really annoying.

It hits the mark pretty well. Just the right amount of darkness, while still reminding you that things don't have to be all bad. It reminds me very much of Dark Souls.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know at one point Schwalb was going to do a SotDL setting that's "the Demon Lord invades our world, everything goes Mad Max with magic and poo poo" as part of the KS, but I haven't heard anything about it.

Needless to say, I'm hype.

Schwalb is good in that he knows where to draw the line between "dark" and "grimdark" or "gorefest". Like, if you want to do that route you could pretty easily, but it's not the default state.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So what's the lowdown on Shadow of the Demon Lord? The sales blurbs aren't very descriptive about what the actual game is like. The name instantly brings to mind a dozen forgettable retroclones but I'm guessing it's something different?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

So what's the lowdown on Shadow of the Demon Lord? The sales blurbs aren't very descriptive about what the actual game is like. The name instantly brings to mind a dozen forgettable retroclones but I'm guessing it's something different?

I think what sets it apart from most retroclones is that it has a very good sense of tone that it wants to convey. The mechanics are pretty stripped down with only four attributes and a handful of characteristics. There are things like Corruption and Insanity scores, but they are thankfully not a way to dick the players over, and generally are fun because they can be managed in fun ways. The game is dark fantasy, and is supposed to be about a world that is in the process of ending. The titular Demon Lord is a malevolent entity from outside the universe that is trying to exert control over the world, and affects the game world in lots of different ways, and the players are set up to be the world's last hope at salvation.

What really hooked me is the class system, where you start as a 0th level character with no special qualities or anything, then pick one of four novice classes. Then at level 3 you get an Expert Path, of which there are a couple. Then at level 7 you get a Master Path, of which there are tons. At each level you get something from either your race, your novice class, or one of your Paths. Pre-requisites for the Paths are pretty much non-existent, so you can build your character however you want. Magic doesn't seem overpowered, as the spells are either minor utility spells or combat stuff, and none of it is so powerful that your fighters will be outclassed. Rolling is pretty simple, with 10 being the target number for most things unless you're attacking, and the advantage/disadvantage system is pretty clever and cool looking.

Beyond that it comes with a fleshed-out setting that offers lots of blank places, a thought-out combat system that echoes D&D 4e to me in that it has done the math on how hard most fights should be. And it has a ton of supplements coming out all the time which add a lot to the game. I'm using Forbidden Rules to turn the game into more of a 4e-type experience that I'm used to.

SotDL is not the kinda game I'd usually be into, but the core book has me hooked hard just based on how clever a lot of the design is, so I'm gonna give it a shot really soon.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey folks, just a reminder that the 2017 New Years Resolution thread is up (and you can click through to the 2016 one if you posted in it.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Shadow of the Demon Lord has an Advantage/Disadvantage system, a multi-classing/archetype system, and a simple character-creation process that were all written by someone who knew how to design worth a drat.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

There is that one spell that makes the target poo poo themselves to death though.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

thefakenews posted:

There is that one spell that makes the target poo poo themselves to death though.

Who doesn't love cholera magic?

But that aside, I've been meaning to buy SotDL, as someone who started playing tabletop RPGs with WHFRP, it sounds like it'll be right up my alley.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Mr.Misfit posted:

How silly/ominous do they need to be?
Herr Bierschlund (Beer Maw, not-germans of the empire drink a lot), Herr Katzenjammer (Cats Wail, might fit a serial killer), Meister Zornknecht (Master Rage Peasant), Herr Rauschkraut (Narcotic Plants)
Herr Leidensweg (Passionate Ordeal), Herr Zwiebelkopf (Onion Head), Herr Schmalz (Lard), Herr Taubenuss (Numbskull/Numbnut)
Otherwise go for something both ominous and martial like:
Herr Rotgrins (Red Grin, from drawing a knife along your throat), Herr Weissglut (Incandescence/White Heat, basically someone easily riled up to fight and kill), Herr Stecher (Biter, in german this is also a joke-pun for someone known to f*** alot, as you can also "stechen" females)

Or some places?
Schönheim, Waldbrunn, Herzenau (Beautiful Home, Forest Well, Hearts Meadow)
Or more ominous?
Schwarzenach, Schreckenshöh, Dunkelhain, Burg Eisenhut (Black OH!, Terror Heights, Dark Grove, Castle Ironhat)
Also, in german the word "Schloss" is more commonly associated with "Prunkschloss", that is a palace, than a castle or fortress. In the latter cases, use "Feste", "Festung", or "Burg". Much more martial and correct.

Thanks a lot for these and the ones before. I decided to go with their castle being named Totenhaus, with mansions Messerheim, Schreckenshöh, and Eisenhut under it. The place has a senechalc called von Dünkelzauberer, and the name of the baronial line (of which one of the characters will be) is von Mordhau.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

CottonWolf posted:

Who doesn't love cholera magic?

But that aside, I've been meaning to buy SotDL, as someone who started playing tabletop RPGs with WHFRP, it sounds like it'll be right up my alley.

I've been wanting to get it too, although it being available in print primarily through Drivethrustuff's POD service has made me wary, as I hate dealing with those guys when it comes to print stuff

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You can get it directly from the official site, which is how I got mine. The only downside is that you don't get the PDF too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Did Phoenix: Dawn Command ever actually get released anywhere after the KS?

• Locked thread