Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah, Bast is a thing in the mythos because HP Lovecraft was a loser who loved cats and hated dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016
I'm trying to get back into gaming. I read Man of Gold to get some inspiration but it was very bad. What are some cool planner/cosmic fantasy sources? Even sword and planet is good. I haven't played an rpg since 2003. I have no idea what is out there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, I'd probably stick with a single roll over dice pool. I'm a fan of easy probability, and if you do partial successes and such the swinginess isn't too big a deal. I'm of two minds about Advantage/Disadvantage vs bonus/penalty. The former is faster and easier to remember, but has granularity problems that I sometimes find frustrating. I think a d10 with total bonuses/penalties in the +/-0-5 region works best for the kind of system it seems like you want, where abilities matter, but luck still has a major role.

As for dodge rolls, I still think that letting the GM roll for monsters: the monster got lucky, as opposed to a player getting unlucky. This A) gives the player a target to take out their frustration on, and B) imo an enemy rolling well is less frustrating than personally rolling poorly.

A single d10 roll might be good, yeah. I'll probably spend some time playing around on anydice to see how it all works out.

The Deleter posted:

How about giving players "dodge tokens" or something, that they can spend to reduce the pool of dice enemies roll? It lets players have a chance to avoid harm whilst keeping the GM's adversarial nature in place. Players might get them back by taking a breather - camping or resting, for example. Classes that are naturally slower and tankier can have a few less tokens as they can take the punches better.

Of course that then raises the question of WHEN a player can choose to spend them - before might be chancier and feed into the theme better, but after makes decision-making easier.

I like the dodge tokens concept. That's basically how Blades in the Dark handles armor: if you're wearing armor, you have a little armor box on your character sheet. You can check it off to avoid harm from an attack entirely, but then your armor is broken until you get some downtime and you can't use it again. Heavy armor gives you two boxes per operation, and some classes have "special armor" they can use against specific types of harm. It's a neat system, especially when you're not working with HP and a single wound can be a huge deal.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Harrow posted:

I like the dodge tokens concept. That's basically how Blades in the Dark handles armor: if you're wearing armor, you have a little armor box on your character sheet. You can check it off to avoid harm from an attack entirely, but then your armor is broken until you get some downtime and you can't use it again. Heavy armor gives you two boxes per operation, and some classes have "special armor" they can use against specific types of harm. It's a neat system, especially when you're not working with HP and a single wound can be a huge deal.

Alternatively, every time an attack misses because of your armor you check off a box to represent degradation. It helps avoid my personal RPG bane 'you fail so nothing happens'.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

iccyelf posted:

I'm trying to get back into gaming. I read Man of Gold to get some inspiration but it was very bad. What are some cool planner/cosmic fantasy sources? Even sword and planet is good. I haven't played an rpg since 2003. I have no idea what is out there.

I'm a big fan of the Compleat Traveller in Black, and that one eternal champion guy with the six-fingered hand... Corum?

E: Wait, if you mean RPGs then nothing does cosmic better than Chuubo's and/or Nobilis. I also have a soft spot for Gods and Monsters (uses Fate) because I wrote it.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 2, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

How are we defining cosmic fantasy? Because Nobilis seems much closer to what I'd associate with the word "cosmic" than Chuubo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Even though Darkest Dungeon doesn't have "skills" (like Stealth, Repair, Survival, etc.) I think I'm going to have those in this system. My rule is that every skill needs to have the following three applications:
1. Something that it can do while you're in town, during between-dungeon downtime
2. Something that it can do while you're dungeon crawling
3. Something that it can do while you're camping during a dungeon crawl

fool_of_sound posted:

Alternatively, every time an attack misses because of your armor you check off a box to represent degradation. It helps avoid my personal RPG bane 'you fail so nothing happens'.

I like that--I definitely want to avoid a "you miss so nothing happens" thing.

What I'm thinking for my own system is that armor will just give you more max HP, just like it does in Darkest Dungeon and XCOM. It also gives dodge in Darkest Dungeon, so it's a pretty comprehensive defense upgrade--that might be a bit too much for a tabletop game, so I might just stick to the max HP increase and have defense/dodge be down to your class, abilities, and trinkets/accessories. It also sort of works as armor degredation; if the first 7 HP are your armor HP, then that just represents your armor getting damaged. Then maybe someone with the Repair skill can have a camping/downtime skill that lets them restore HP to a target equal to the target's armor value.

I might steal Strike!'s partial success system for attacks, because I like it a lot. Most attacks have both damage and an effect--if you get a full success, you get to deal both. If you get a partial success, you have to pick one. Maybe the way resistances work (to things like bleed and poison) would be that you can only land the effect on a full success, never on a partial, if the target is resistant.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 2, 2016

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016
I'm not sure if cosmic is the right word. Planescape, Silver Surfer, Drullet's Lone Sloane, Metabarons, that kind of thing.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

iccyelf posted:

I'm not sure if cosmic is the right word. Planescape, Silver Surfer, Drullet's Lone Sloane, Metabarons, that kind of thing.

You mean a sort of interstellar/transdimensional setting with sci-fi magic?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's the comic book definition of cosmic.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kwyndig posted:

That's the comic book definition of cosmic.
It is also totally my thing, and I am super interested.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
How many RPG sourcebooks on ancient Rome or classical Greece are there?

Which are good?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Helical Nightmares posted:

How many RPG sourcebooks on ancient Rome or classical Greece are there?

Which are good?

GURPS is infamous for its great sourcebooks on places and hystorical periods. I hear that at one point GURPS Camelot appeared on a "Recommended reading" list for a university.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/Greece/
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/imperialrome/

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Anyone have any opinions on Hollow Earth Expedition? Thinking about buying it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Today, I spent far too long at work not doing work and instead making a design outline for that Darkest Dungeon-inspired game I've been posting about. Because I have no intention of publishing this for money I don't mind wearing my influences on my sleeve, so this is basically an unholy mash-up of Blades in the Dark, 13th Age, and Darkest Dungeon.

If you feel like reading some brainstorming crap I'd appreciate anyone who can tell me which of my ideas are good and which are awful.

I should probably actually play Torchbearer some day. That's probably the best possible Darkest Dungeon tabletop experience out there, but I'm building something a little more... game-y, I think. I want that tactical pseudo-grid 13th Age combat, lightning-fast character creation, and mechanics that support treating the player group as playing an adventuring guild, rather than individual adventurers.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Harrow posted:

Today, I spent far too long at work not doing work and instead making a design outline for that Darkest Dungeon-inspired game I've been posting about. Because I have no intention of publishing this for money I don't mind wearing my influences on my sleeve, so this is basically an unholy mash-up of Blades in the Dark, 13th Age, and Darkest Dungeon.

If you feel like reading some brainstorming crap I'd appreciate anyone who can tell me which of my ideas are good and which are awful.

I should probably actually play Torchbearer some day. That's probably the best possible Darkest Dungeon tabletop experience out there, but I'm building something a little more... game-y, I think. I want that tactical pseudo-grid 13th Age combat, lightning-fast character creation, and mechanics that support treating the player group as playing an adventuring guild, rather than individual adventurers.

I've only really skimmed this so far, but it looks cool. I'll read it over more thoroughly and get back to you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

I've only really skimmed this so far, but it looks cool. I'll read it over more thoroughly and get back to you.

Thanks! I'm going to turn on comments in the document just in case you (or anyone else) wants to leave comments there. I'll be adding more detail to that document as I go, I think.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Bring it to the game design thread, it's undernourished.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Golden Bee posted:

Bring it to the game design thread, it's undernourished.

You mean dead and archived right?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I looked for one of those because I remembered one existing, so that explains why I didn't find one.

Maybe I'll make one.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

There seem to be two actually:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760029
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3581530

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well poo poo, one of those is pretty recent. I got no excuse!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

My favourite chat thread was in October, when we made Lasers & Feelings hacks for Cthulhu and Spy-Fi.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

My favourite chat thread was in October, when we made Lasers & Feelings hacks for Cthulhu and Spy-Fi.

Don't we have a wiki? Those are really good and should be saved on a wiki.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Does rpg.net have a goddamn forum app yet?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Squizzle posted:

as far as I know no, although it usually runs fine enough on phone browsers

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Squizzle posted:

Man, they can barely manage to keep their forum running in a web browser some times.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Man, they can barely manage to keep their forum running in a web browser some times.

So does SA, and it has apps for platforms down to Windows Mobile level popularity. Mobile browsers are trash for forums reading, and I'm on my phone or iPad about a million times more than I'm near a laptop these days. I'd probably still read/post on rpg.net if they had something like Awful.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Oh look, it's another Lasers & Feelings hack, this time for superheroes.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

This looks really cool, but I gotta ask: why is the number capped at 4? I'm assuming it's for genre reasons (there aren't that many superheroes that solve problems simply through purely mundane methods) but it just caught my eye.

And yeah, even though you did most of the hard work putting it together (thanks for that, by the way) and many others helped with pitching ideas for it (thanks for that, you know who you are) I do feel a certain amount of pride for having provided the initial idea for Sanity & Sorcery.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Ratpick posted:

This looks really cool, but I gotta ask: why is the number capped at 4? I'm assuming it's for genre reasons (there aren't that many superheroes that solve problems simply through purely mundane methods) but it just caught my eye.

Because I typo'd and should've hit '5', but I like your genre reason so I'm keeping it. :v:

quote:

And yeah, even though you did most of the hard work putting it together (thanks for that, by the way) and many others helped with pitching ideas for it (thanks for that, you know who you are) I do feel a certain amount of pride for having provided the initial idea for Sanity & Sorcery.

You should! If you hadn't started the ball rolling, we'd not be in a position where Tradgames is to blame for at least three L&F hacks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Oh look, we have a chat thread again!

I've just finished reading David E. Hoffman's The Dead Hand, and there's a lot of material there for a Night's Black Agents mini-campaign. Since I am totally full-up on schedules by now, maybe someone will profit from my fevered imaginings:

The PC's can be a mix of field agents, active military, atomic researchers such as from the IAEA or Department of Energy, and also bio-researchers such as the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases in Fort Dietrich, Maryland or from the CDC in Atlanta.

You can start the game with a briefing in the Pentagon, or perhaps in media res with the team already in flight on a C-5 Galaxy, having just taken off from Dover AFB. The mission will be a retrieval: a former Soviet scientist has contacted the American Embassy in Almaty, Kazakhstan and wants asylum, and the team's job is to get them out.

The bio-researchers are there because the scientist used to work on the old Soviet biological weapons program and they'll need their expertise to debrief the defector. The atomic energy researchers are there because the scientist has alluded to having knowledge of certain bad actors wanting to sell nuclear material to Iranians/ISIS/whathaveyou.

The opening act of the game will be about spiriting away the scientist while he's being pursued by the Russian (Kazakh?) mob, who are trying to silence the scientist before he blows the whistle on the deal. Depending on how well the players do in successfully making contact with the scientist, they can either succeed in this mission, in which case the first vampire of the game shows up in a car chase through the streets of Ust-Kamenogorsk and even up to the airport tarmac, or they might be too late, the scientist gets killed, and they discover that vampires are real because they're chasing the murderer as he flees the scene of the crime and what the gently caress how is it walking straight up a concrete wall to escape.

In either case, there's a bio-weapons twist when the mobsters are offed with anthrax for their failure, or the scientist is. The midgame would be about tracking down the nuclear and bio-weapons leads, taking the team to the heavily brutalist factory city of Stepnogorsk, where they can get embroiled with warring criminal factions, make nice (or not) with aged Soviet colonels, and find leads that'll take them to old research facilities in Leningrad and Moscow. Heists and networking may be required to gain entrance!

The conspyramid will also be fighting back at this point, possibly by kidnapping the American Ambassador or framing the agents for causing a massive diplomatic rift between the US and Russia.

The vampire's lair will eventually be revealed to be in Vozrozhdeniya Island, where the agents have a chance to destroy its source of Aberrance by blowing up the industrial-sized bacteriological machinery that the vampire uses to power itself.

The endgame could be in the Ural Mountains, where the agents need to race the final vampire to a missile silo and stop him from launching a payload of weaponized smallpox into the atmosphere.

And since this is a game centered mostly in Central Asia, there's really only one person that the vampire could be: the resurrected spirit of Roman von Ungern-Sternberg

EDIT: You could also shift this into a Delta Green scenario, with a cult of Hastur worshippers trying to get Carcosa to spawn on the island for a wholly different kind of Rebirth.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 5, 2016

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Man, of all the game lines that someone might try to bring back, who picks Shatterzone, the incredibly forgettable Masterbook sci-fi game? Because I keep getting ads for it from DTRG and I don't need that much concentrated nineties in my diet.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Visiting my hometown (been away for years) next month and checking out what FLGS's are around now online. I now remember why I love reading idiotic reviews for hobby stores. It's always either a wasteland of people who are put off by the fact that there are adults who do hobby stuff, or your general Yelp flare of people trying to make their reviews as purple as possible:

quote:

There were also several tables set up in the back for people to play games at. There were 8 men over the age of 25 playing.

quote:

Overhead, they had an episode of Star Trek :Enterprise running to the delight of one of the workers. Toward the back were some tables and a bunch of people who I suspect were there for a weekly meet-up, as they were at that other Sci-Fi City. I wonder if they had all their little pewter soldiers for some game of strategy.

quote:

At some point I got an urge to play board games. And not brainless dice rollers like Monopoly, but cortex-confounders like Settlers of Catan. Despite my high-minded aims, I knew nothing about the world I sought. So I took a stroll to the Board Walk in hopes that someone there could open doors to a new cognitive pursuit.

I was a little disappointed to see mostly model trains and planes and automobiles at first, thinking this was more a physical hobby shop than a cerebral treasure. And then I found the copious selection of games. My neurons were blown, so I asked for some suggestions, walked out with some games that overworked my brain even more, and have been sufficiently mentally challenged ever since.

quote:

Been to this place a couple times. On one visit a couple months ago, there was a handwritten note on the door that said, "Be back in 5 minutes." So I waited. When the guy came back (within 5 minutes, I should note) he unlocked the door, and when I walked in I was greeted with the unmistakable pungent aroma of dank rear end nuggz. You know... Marijuana. So, that was pretty disgusting.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Drone posted:

And not brainless dice rollers like Monopoly, but cortex-confounders like Settlers of Catan.

:psyduck:

There are so many things wrong with this sentence.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Despite my high-minded aims, I knew nothing about the world I sought. So I took a stroll to the Board Walk in hopes that someone there could open doors to a new cognitive pursuit.
I think this guy is just trying to rewrite the Monty Python cheese shop sketch.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Not much call for it? D&D is the single most popular RPG in the world!"

e: "Shadowrun?" - "I think it's runnier than you like it, sir."

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

quote:

No joke that dumb should make me laugh this much.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Not much call for it? D&D is the single most popular RPG in the world!"

I rolled my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know why it never occurred to me before, but I just figured out today that I can use VLOOKUP and RANDBETWEEN to automate dice rolls and table look-ups for random generation tables.

• Locked thread