Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawk
Mar 31, 2013

What fresh hell is this?

Hey yeah, so I've been looking for a place to dump out poetry that isn't a tumblr of five people who just absentmindedly like my posts, when I discovered the hot new take on writing threads that was the Daily Poetry 2013 thread. Which is locked for archiving. And no replacements have been made. So here's a fresh one for 2016, for us to gradually critique each other's skills at stacking words in stanzas!

Are there any special rules?

No, gently caress that. You're all adults, just post your poo poo as you write it and critique others as you want. I want to make one thing very apparent though: THIS IS NOT A THREAD FOR YOUR FINISHED POEMS, SPECIFICALLY. THIS IS A THREAD FOR YOU TO DUMP YOUR HEAD OUT SO WE CAN COLLECTIVELY PARTICIPATE IN AN EDITING PROCESS THAT BENEFITS US ALL. It's a daily thread, this isn't supposed to be a place of pristine poems that glisten with perfect meter and rhyme schemes, it's just a place for you to participate to keep your writing juices flowing.

Are you going to critique every poem that is posted, like others said they would?

AaaaaahahahahahahahahaahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
To be honest, if this thread stays slow, I just might.

I have a poem that I wrote a little while ago that I want critiques on, that I did not literally write today. What should I do?

I'm literally about to post one exactly like that lmbo. Just do it, friend.

This is not a thread for high brow wankery about who is a good or bad poet. Take posts as they come, critique them as they are.

If you are posting a poem which requires context or explanation, please do so in italics, like a fancy person before the poem. This way we know what your specific comments are, separated from the poem, and also I can pretend that a fancy french person is explaining the finer subtext of your works.

Otherwise, if you are about to ask whether or not you should post something, I have some primo advice for you, right off the bat:

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Immigrants

"I don’t want no loving Somalians living in my state,” he says,
white knuckles wrapped around a black coffee.
The irony is lost on him.

“Bunch of lazy no-good idiots if you ask me,” another grunts.
It is 10:30 on a Tuesday morning.

“They lie, and cheat. You can’t trust any of them.”
He is renting a motel room tonight by the hour.

“I hear they’re a bunch of rapists.
I’m worried about my daughter living so close to them.”
His wife owns a different shade of foundation depending on her bruises.

"At least I can provide for my family.
They just want to suck on the government's teat."
This will be the seventh consecutive year
that his government insurance
will cover his farm's drastically low yield.

“They just want to move in and take over.
In a few years, they’ll be everywhere.
If we don’t say no now, then this country is going to go to poo poo.”

The men sip their coffee,
and nod in quiet certainty,
on a land called Dakota

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

death .cab for qt posted:

To be honest, if this thread stays slow, I just might.
welcome to being the poetry OP. the old thread is dead, long live the 2016 thread - may it last until 2020.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Immigrants

white knuckles wrapped around a black coffee. i feel like this image could be a bit more striking and the whole white and black aspect of it is kind of interesting if maybe you kept that kind of imagery throughout the whole piece.
The irony is lost on him. what irony??? and i think you could like, maybe something more clever him than the cliche "the irony is lost on him"

It's 10:30 on a Tuesday morning. huh, wow, do I care about the time

“They lie, and cheat. You can’t trust any of them.” this is so loving obvious jesus christ. like, do you even consider these people like real people rather than strawmen who say these things?
He is renting a motel room tonight by the hour. what? oh he's hiring a prostitute or something?

I’m worried about my daughter living so close to them.” you see, this line COULD work, because like, racist peoples are generally not like "they are all rapists" theyre more like "I dont know, they live in a bad neighborhood and I'm worried they'll be a bad influence" in this day and age
His wife owns a different shade of foundation depending on her bruises. oh wow is that super cliche, not a bad line imo, just like, super loving obvious idea

will cover his farm's drastically low yield. OH WOW THAT IS SO IRONIC AND CLEVER OH WRITER HOW DID YOU EVER GET THIS CLEVER?

on a land called Dakota lol middle america am i rite?

Congratulations, you have written a STDH poem! This has absolutely no nuance to the subject matter whatsoever. So it feels like you are just writing stereotypes in order to like say stereotypes are bad? There's no uniqueness to this story. What's the point? "Racism is bad and racists are bad people." But like, that's it. And you're presenting it in such a boring and generic manner. There's nothing in this poem that feels original. It's all just parroting ideas of the generic hick racist and you dont even show that well.

Now, I'm not a big traditional poet. I write free verse when I do write poetry, but I'm not like a big expert on meter or beats and stuff. I just kind of read the poem to see if it flows well for me, or if it doesn't flow well, there's an intentional reason why. These just feel like sentences strung together without any regard as to how a reader will actually read them. It's choppy and doesn't flow like, at all. Like that fourth paragraph, each line just exists on its own. I feel like you didn't have any consideration of how your reader would read the poem and as such, it lacks that flow that helps make a poem more effective.

Lastly, I think images are very important in poems, especially if you're going to do free verse. Your poem needs something, and racist stereotype conversations aren't enough. I need to see, or feel, or touch, or hear, or taste something in poems. You have a few that gives me images, like "white knuckles wrapped around a black coffee" and "His wife owns..." Personally, I think those images are kind of weak. The whole white knuckles/black coffee doesn't really work because you don't wrap your knuckles around the coffee, but like, the actual mug it's in, so then I'm left to make up some kind of mug. The "His wife owns..." could work stronger if you made it more specific like "His wife pulls out her pile (i dont know makeup terminology im sry) of foundation and tries to find the right one for the bruise." That doesn't flow well and I'd edit it to make have a better flow, but now I got the wife actually doing thing and a more vivid image in my head.

Anyways, yeah, thanks for making the thread, I might post some poems later.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Broenheim posted:

Congratulations, you have written a STDH poem! This has absolutely no nuance to the subject matter whatsoever. So it feels like you are just writing stereotypes in order to like say stereotypes are bad? There's no uniqueness to this story. What's the point? "Racism is bad and racists are bad people." But like, that's it. And you're presenting it in such a boring and generic manner. There's nothing in this poem that feels original. It's all just parroting ideas of the generic hick racist and you dont even show that well.

Now, I'm not a big traditional poet. I write free verse when I do write poetry, but I'm not like a big expert on meter or beats and stuff. I just kind of read the poem to see if it flows well for me, or if it doesn't flow well, there's an intentional reason why. These just feel like sentences strung together without any regard as to how a reader will actually read them. It's choppy and doesn't flow like, at all. Like that fourth paragraph, each line just exists on its own. I feel like you didn't have any consideration of how your reader would read the poem and as such, it lacks that flow that helps make a poem more effective.

Lastly, I think images are very important in poems, especially if you're going to do free verse. Your poem needs something, and racist stereotype conversations aren't enough. I need to see, or feel, or touch, or hear, or taste something in poems. You have a few that gives me images, like "white knuckles wrapped around a black coffee" and "His wife owns..." Personally, I think those images are kind of weak. The whole white knuckles/black coffee doesn't really work because you don't wrap your knuckles around the coffee, but like, the actual mug it's in, so then I'm left to make up some kind of mug. The "His wife owns..." could work stronger if you made it more specific like "His wife pulls out her pile (i dont know makeup terminology im sry) of foundation and tries to find the right one for the bruise." That doesn't flow well and I'd edit it to make have a better flow, but now I got the wife actually doing thing and a more vivid image in my head.

Anyways, yeah, thanks for making the thread, I might post some poems later.

I'm very dumb and should have done my own italicized background for the poem, or find a way to include it in the poem itself!

I work at a poo poo gas station in a hick town, and a group of old farmers sit in from around 8 AM to 11 AM bullshitting about politics, and this was a series of things they've talked about over a few weeks when Somalian refugees became a hot topic in the newspapers. The attribution of things they said don't line up exactly to people in the conversation, obviously, but it's just (barely) paraphrased sentiments they all shared in their conversation. The other lines are also true facts, they're just mostly about other people from around and just outside of town who share these same opinions, tied together into the same setting.

You're right, though, I'm less and less satisfied with this the more I read it. I'm going to chop through this and restructure a lot of it, because I can tell what I'm trying to do with it, but it's divorced of pretty much all context if I have to type a huge paragraph just to explain it.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
ima just dump this poem i wrote for a class so it doesnt seem like im just being a dick in this thread, based off of a painting called "The Night by Max Beckmann. Cool painting, should def. check it out. maybe ill write new one tomorrow idk.

What I Know

The Night is a 20th-century painting by German artist
Max Beckmann... The Night's illogical composition relays
post-war disillusionment and the artist's confusion over
the “society he saw descending into madness.”

-Wikipedia

I don’t know how it feels
to sling a gun
over the shoulder,
to stare above trenches,
bombs pounding dirt like
a paintbrush
dipped into brown ink.

to have those crosshairs trained
on a gray
shivering uniform.

to take in the air,
and taste the dirt
scrape against the tongue.

to press the trigger and
see the other boy turn
and fall.

to be that boy who falls to the ground,
to feel the sting
like a needle stabbed
into the back of the skull,
breaking bone,
to feel the hair
get cold and
heavy with blood,
to feel that moment
of relief like a
black bird, breaking
through the chest,
to feel the wings glide
through the haze
and land on smooth metal,
claws wrapping around
a golden fence.

to be a sculptor
etching in one name
in marble and hear
a black bird, that
boy in the dirt,
crying outside.

to be that boy
who comes home
and drops his gun on the desk
and looks at a white canvas.

to be that boy who hears
water dripping from the faucet
but hears the other boy
dropping to the dirt.

to be that boy’s nightmare of
rough rope digging into
the neck, and gray faces
blurring like ink,
eyes and noses and mouths
shifting into sharp shapes.

to be that boy
who dips a paintbrush
into ink and slices
streaks of red
across the white paper
like a cut that doesn’t bleed,
a red stain across the wrist.

to be that boy
who takes in
the bombs and the bullets,
the blood and the body,
the bird and the name,
the bristles and the colors
and throws the ink, everything
into a white lockbox
now stained with
reds and blacks
and browns and grays.

to be a boy with wet paper,
stuck between fingers that look
like wings,
shaking, ready
to pull apart
the nightmare.

I don’t know it feels
to let the paper slide
against the finger,
and lets The Night land
on the desk, and stay.

to be that boy, but I
know
that
boy.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
muffin is going to make poets out of us yet

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Immigrants

white knuckles wrapped around a black coffee.
The irony is lost on him.

It is 10:30 on a Tuesday morning.

“They lie, and cheat. You can’t trust any of them.”
He is renting a motel room tonight by the hour.

I’m worried about my daughter living so close to them.”
His wife owns a different shade of foundation depending on her bruises.

will cover his farm's drastically low yield.

on a land called Dakota

This is pandering to the pro-immigration camp so hard I hear Germany is closing their borders just to spite you. Now don't get me wrong, I'm in that camp, but even I feel a bit disgusted by this. Your heart's at the right place but you're writing poetry here, and not an essay on How Racists Are Actually Bigots, and even if you were, and even if these people really exist, the way you present them still makes it sound like you're sending an army of strawmen to preach to a choir that's too liberal to ever see a church from the inside.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I really didn't like this piece and that's also the reason I don't line-crit it. It just has these gaping flaws. Like, it's super obvious what you're going for from the start, and sometimes obvious is good, but not when you're trying to manipulate people into accepting your political beliefs. Is this salvageable? I think so. But it needs to give me something else than what amounts to a smear-campaign about a bunch of anonymous Dakota hicks. Show me what makes these people tick. Give me facets. Give me something human. Make me go away from this with a learning experience. "Racism is bad and racists are stupid" is not a learning experience, but "Farmer Joe works his rear end off because big agriculture industry eats him up otherwise so in the evening he's too busted to do anything but watch Fox New's brainwashing" is. Maybe there's even a bit of irony in it, seeing how Fox News usually supports big industry. There's a lot of sad stories surrounding these people, and there's a lot of insight that can be gleamed from sitting down and honestly exploring their motives and the reality they've built for themselves, and if you're taking them seriously, I think you can come away with a sombre piece about the inherent tragedy of human ignorance. Then find a way to express that in interesting pictures.

flerp posted:

ima just dump this poem i wrote for a class so it doesnt seem like im just being a dick in this thread, based off of a painting called "The Night by Max Beckmann. Cool painting, should def. check it out. maybe ill write new one tomorrow idk.

What I Know

The Night is a 20th-century painting by German artist
Max Beckmann... The Night's illogical composition relays
post-war disillusionment and the artist's confusion over
the “society he saw descending into madness.”

-Wikipedia
I didn't know this is a thing you do at poetry but WHO CARES

to sling a gun
over the shoulder,
to stare above trenches,
bombs pounding dirt like
a paintbrush
dipped into brown ink. that's an odd simile, and i know you use it because you want to reuse that imagery later but I really don't think bombs hit the earth the same way a paintbrush hits paint. granted I've never seen a bomb but I've seen a paintbrush and I assure you this is not the first thing i imagine when i imagine bombs. also this is your first paragraph and it's about war so make it INTENSE. where's the fear

to have those crosshairs trained
on a gray
shivering uniform. a "shivering uniform"? he's so far away that you can't make out anything but the uniform, but he's close enough to see him shiver? lol. i just imagine it as a sentient uniform running across the battlefield scared of its newfound sentience.

I don’t know how it feels i like the repetition of this line though it's neat
to take in the air,
and taste the dirt
scrape against the tongue. ok part, gives me some imagery, takes me there

to press the trigger and
see the other boy turn
and fall. this is a good part, a distant description of an intense moment

to be that boy who falls to the ground,
to feel the sting
like a needle stabbed like the idea of this part but I don't think "needle stabbed in the back of the skull" is a good simile for bullet entry
into the back of the skull,
breaking bone,
to feel the hair cool
get cold and cool
heavy with blood, cool
to feel that moment cool
of relief like a cool
black bird, breaking uh ok
through the chest,
to feel the wings glide this is where you lose me. generally i think you use buffer words too much ("to feel, to see"). i understand why you need them. you need to keep some of them. but you also need to check for some that you can cut. they create distance between reader and character. why you really lose me though is this weird simile. How do you feel wings glide through the haze? I know it sounds fancy but wtf
through the haze
and land on smooth metal, these last three lines I don't get at all
claws wrapping around
a golden fence.

to be a sculptor
etching in one name
in marble and hear
a black bird, that
boy in the dirt,
crying outside. what the gently caress is this part

to be that boy
who comes home
and drops his gun on the desk
and looks at a white canvas. this part is loving stellar - but maybe that's because i draw the inherent connotation that it ends at the white canvas because he doesnt know what to do with it anymore - tbh i think you could almost cut to the final stanza from this, but then you need to beef up the wartimes, make them a bit more intense

to be that boy who hears
water dripping from the faucet
but hears the other boy
dropping to the dirt. this is also cool

to be that boy’s nightmare of
rough rope digging into
the neck, and gray faces
blurring like ink,
eyes and noses and mouths
shifting into sharp shapes. obligatory part about The Night, but I don't think it's very interesting. If you don't know the picture it's mostly confusing.

to be that boy
who dips a paintbrush
into ink and slices
streaks of red
across the white paper
like a cut that doesn’t bleed,
a red stain across the wrist. not sure how i feel about this stanza. he creates the painting, but there's not much meat to it, no forza. it just happens along. you can defo cut that last line

to be that boy
who takes in
the bombs and the bullets,
the blood and the body, how bout "the blood and the boy"? as in the boy he shot. body sounds too general for me here, not sure what it's refering to
the bird and the name, huh?
the bristles and the colors
and throws the ink, everything
into a white lockbox
now stained with
reds and blacks
and browns and grays. okay so I guess he's done painting and this and the following parts are supposed to reminisce about this titanic accomplishment, except the whole process of creating the painting wasn't really epic or anything. There's just not enough interesting language or imagery here, to, at this point, make me feel like I just witnessed the creation of something truly great.

to be a boy with wet paper,
stuck between fingers that look
like wings,
shaking, ready
to pull apart
the nightmare.

I don’t know it feels
to let the paper slide
against the finger,
and lets The Night land
on the desk, and stay. lol 'mic drop'

to be that boy, but I
know
that
boy.
This part sends shivers down my spine and tbh i think the rest of your poem does not do it justice

So I guess this is about Max Beckmann coming home from war and painting The Night. Okay, well. Max Beckmann has seen some hosed up poo poo and it transformed his entire art style, but all you show us is "there were bombs and he shot a guy" (Max Beckmann was a medical orderly). The cool thing about Beckmann is that he went into war all like "hell yeah this owns my art is gonna own after this" and then he came back broken and haggard like a dry twig in the way of an elephant stampede.

To be frank I would like this better if it were less about The Night and more about just a guy who was once a painter coming home from war and realizing that none of it matters to him anymore because he's so hosed up from his experiences. Also some of the hosed up experiences. Many of the parts where you reference The Night I feel are boring, but the whole human drama of him suffering through war and coming back home to deal with it, that's interesting, and I also think it gives the ending stanza a lot more power, makes it more personal.

If you really want to make this about The Night, and I've already said this, then the parts where he paints the picture need to a) have more of a cathartic feel and b) be much, MUCH more intense. This is the apex of your piece but it's over before it begins and the language is a bit weak.

Entenzahn fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 18, 2016

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
okay maybe i should also write a poem

First I want to call her an angel,
but then she chuckles,
like we're about to do something forbidden,
and strands of her hair dance with each other as she turns,
and then she raises her bottle with a residual smirk
and squints at me as it touches her lips,
playful eyes throwing the night-sky back at me.

She drinks dark beer.
She doesn't need platitudes.

Instead I'll call her this:
Imagine being blind for all your life
and one day you wake up and see
a rainbow.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Entenzahn posted:

First I want to call her an angel why? what makes her like an angel? also, man, that's pretty cliche. did you also want to ask her if she fell from heaven? i understand kind of the point is to be like "well, she's not rly a cliche" but when you start with one, idk, it's not giving me a good first impression of your poem.,
but then she chuckles,
like we're about to do something forbidden like what? gently caress? vandalize a water tower? say hitler did nothing wrong?, it's probably better to end the sentence here with a period since it starts to run on a bit and the idea seems to end here.
and strands of her hair dance with each other this isn't awful but hair dancing feels a bit obvious and generic, i want something more. also, i think this can be more vivid. is it brown hair, red, blonde? i don't have a good image of this women except she's an angel and has long hair I guess. maybe push the metaphor more. the whole dancing with each other makes me kind of thing of the hair holding onto each other like dancers, but it's not pushed far enough if you're going to use it. as she turns,
and then she raises her bottle with a residual smirk
and do you really want each line starting with and? 'cause it feels choppy, because i think of a little kid just being really overexcited and going and then and then and then. doesn't sound good for a poem imo. squints at me as it touches her lips,
playful eyes throwing the night-sky back at me ok this is good description + metaphor double whammy.

She drinks dark beer.
She doesn't need platitudes. These lines standing on their own feels weak. Dark beer doesn't conjure up a very good image and "doesn't need platitudes" is very abstract. Lines on it's own should be wowing me. This doesn't whatsoever

Instead I'll call her this:
Imagine I hate it when authors say "imagine" it's like wtf, isn't your job to be making me imagine? also, it feels like you're talking to me directly and i hate and it feels so cheesy being blind for all your life
and one day you wake up and see
a rainbow. something about this stanza bothers me, and I think it's because, in all of these lines, there's only one concrete thing in this and that is "rainbow." that's part of the point but there's four lines of what amounts to filler to get to this rainbow. sure, this could work if you had given me enough images earlier to basically "earn" all this build-up to one last crescendo, but you don't earn it here

Ah, a love poem. How adorable. I think the issue with love poems is a lot of times is that love poems embrace the cliche. Hell, even Shakespeare like a million years ago called out poets for being so cliche. You're aware of the cliches but instead of actually writing a poem that isn't cliche, you use a cliche (what, she's an ANGEL?????) and you're like "no, no, you see, I know it's cliche and I'm calling it out." Well, how about you just not use the cliche?

Meter wise, this is just very... normal? The first stanza is too long and starts to drag as I read it at around the fourth line (especially with the repetition of and) because each sentence are constructed the same way. Adding periods or varying your sentences will make it flow much better. That second stanza is... I don't like that meter. It starts then STOPS........ then starts and STOPS (do you get what I mean? i'm not sure how to explain this through text tbh). Doesn't sound good. The third one is kind of like your first but it works better because it's short so you don't need to vary. But that end of "a rainbow" is just so abrupt. There's some kind of build-up I feel with this poem but it's just a rainbow? That's all you got? A word standing on it's own should be something huge or big.

Why a rainbow? What is it about her that makes her a rainbow? What would be so amazing about being blind your entire life and looking at a rainbow? When I think of rainbows, I think of colors. I think of all those colors in the gray sky. Your poem doesn't have like any color. "Night-sky" is probably the one color I see. Maybe "dark beer" a bit but that's bit too vague. I think an image like a rainbow needs to come from something that's given us a lot of color. Have her BE a rainbow in the poem. Have her be that color in the gray sky. Make the reader think, unconsciously, that she is a rainbow. And then, when you get us to understand that, and we get to the end and you say "she's a rainbow" I'm like "hell yeah she is!" instead of "I guess?"

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Hey guys. I noticed this thread and got so excited that I wrote a poem! Tell me what you think.

"The Hog"

The weak prince was mauled by a hog.
The prince had skin so translucent
under the sun that you could see his fear
when the hog charged him in the glade,
its tusks flailing east and west.

When the hog was slaughtered shortly after
and brought before the queen’s rapacious eye,
she demanded it be placed beside her son
at his wake, and thoroughly feasted upon.

So the clergy all came, and the commonfolk too,
and they stoically swallowed the meat,
which was much, much too tough and lacking spice,
although the king said he detected a tinge
of—wouldn’t it be awful—royal blood.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

flerp posted:

Ah, a love poem. How adorable.

Why a rainbow? What is it about her that makes her a rainbow? What would be so amazing about being blind your entire life and looking at a rainbow? When I think of rainbows, I think of colors. I think of all those colors in the gray sky. Your poem doesn't have like any color. "Night-sky" is probably the one color I see. Maybe "dark beer" a bit but that's bit too vague. I think an image like a rainbow needs to come from something that's given us a lot of color. Have her BE a rainbow in the poem. Have her be that color in the gray sky. Make the reader think, unconsciously, that she is a rainbow. And then, when you get us to understand that, and we get to the end and you say "she's a rainbow" I'm like "hell yeah she is!" instead of "I guess?"

Jumping off this, you can make the rainbow color work but you gotta go way more concrete here: cobweb whites, stained yellows, bleached blacks, murky liquid skyline, muddled viscera, desiccated emerald, blah blah vomit

Even what I wrote is kinda poo poo because it isn't "attached" to anything which is the problem with rainbows too, they're kind ephemeral.

In a way, you need a specific perspective to see them, but this poem isn't delving into that category of insight

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

G r A v E

Grave
gRave
grAve
graVe
gravE

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

FreudianSlippers posted:

G r A v E

Grave
gRave
grAve
graVe
gravE
this needs work, how about

Grave
Rave
Grace
Gravity
Gravy
Agog
Grit
Grit
Grit
Gravlax

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The number one rule of grave poetry is that the only word you can use is "grave". It is also rules 2-10.

Although I really like your poem, it could be a nice subversion of the strict and conservative boundaries most grave poetry adheres to.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Move along, nothing to see here.

Exioce fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 2, 2016

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
fine

Illavick fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 1, 2016

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Posting in the Poetry Thread
1. Apologize
2. Post the poem
3. Do not post feedback
4. Do not get feedback (somehow this always works)
5. Leave forever

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Entenzahn posted:

Posting in the Poetry Thread
1. Apologize
2. Post the poem
3. Do not post feedback
4. Do not get feedback (somehow this always works)
5. Leave forever

This poem feels a bit dry. Almost like it's some sort of list.. However I really like how brief and to the point it is, there is no fat just muscle. I also really like the bittersweet ending.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Every walk home is an approximation of my whereabouts.
And what withdrawals
And Wendy homes
Is this gas between today?

edit:

Every walk home is an approximation of my whereabouts,

And what withdrawals
And wendy huts

Is this gas between today?

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 3, 2016

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
In the last version of this thread someone demonstrated a weird poetry form, it was pretty short and extremely restrictive, I can't for the life of me remember what it was and none of the forms on regular lists seem familiar. What was it??

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Zesty Mordant posted:

In the last version of this thread someone demonstrated a weird poetry form, it was pretty short and extremely restrictive, I can't for the life of me remember what it was and none of the forms on regular lists seem familiar. What was it??

Was it double dactyls https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_dactyl?? Cos I posted about them in the last thread + they're great. eg

Higgledy piggledy,
Benjamin Harrison,
Twenty-third president
Was, and, as such,

Served between Clevelands and
Save for this trivial
Idiosyncrasy,
Didn't do much.

I write them a lot if I can think of a double dactylic word, here's one of mine
Battery Flattery
Trial of the century
This man’s been found making
Youth’s brains enlarged

He offers no defence
And so our judge declares
Apologetically
“Guilty as charged!”

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Those long legged mosquitos are aliens, you know
They abducted me once
From my bunk
The top one by the window, boys cabin three

The mosquitos wanted to know if I was the one
Responsible. If it was me.
I was bitten all over.

But I was rescued by the Morepork Squad
Who spun my sores into feathers
Which were then stuffed into a cardboard envelope
Labeled by claw 'Could be Him?'

The Witness
Jul 2, 2012
A Russian poplar
Surrenders to the North winds
Falling to the earth

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

CestMoi posted:

Was it double dactyls https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_dactyl?? Cos I posted about them in the last thread + they're great. eg

Higgledy piggledy,
Benjamin Harrison,
Twenty-third president
Was, and, as such,

Served between Clevelands and
Save for this trivial
Idiosyncrasy,
Didn't do much.

I write them a lot if I can think of a double dactylic word, here's one of mine
Battery Flattery
Trial of the century
This man’s been found making
Youth’s brains enlarged

He offers no defence
And so our judge declares
Apologetically
“Guilty as charged!”

Hahah yes I'm gonna try and make some up today. Thanx

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Np, once you get a feel for the rhythm of them they're really easy. The most difficult parts are finding double dactylic words for the second last line and finding first lines that are nonsense while still sounding cool. Good luck and post them in this thread imo

Tristran and I sold her
Forcing out poems to
Expel this uselessness
Here’s what I tried-

Reading the masters to
Gain inspiration which
Counterproductively
Stymied the tide

CestMoi fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 10, 2016

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I've been needling away at this poem recently, it feels like it's missing something, another verse maybe, and perhaps there's other stuff I've missed:

Winter Grave (slight note, a sternburg is a cheap beer that's really common here)
Slick cold half melted ice rehardened
lines the cobblestones searching for an errant foot
to trap and topple the midnight walker
she slides
envisions an ignoble end
hand flung just in time to catch the frigid rail
palms half stick to rough new frost.

Straightened body reset weight she shifts to safety
Reflects on near misses
as gaze set down
the glittering banks of the river seized in place
She notes, half submerged the bodies
drowned christmas trees discarded in the dark
Corpses unsunk the crime revealed by frost

Rime shine frost set fresh on edges
revealing the reaching branches
That tangle together in desperate knots
Abandoned past their season
Bodies shedding with frost their only friend
She thinks on things abandoned after christmas
Finishes her Sternburg and sets the bottle down.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Catfishenfuego posted:

I've been needling away at this poem recently, it feels like it's missing something, another verse maybe, and perhaps there's other stuff I've missed:

Winter Grave (slight note, a sternburg is a cheap beer that's really common here)
she slides
envisions an ignoble end

Reflects on near misses
as gaze set down

Bodies shedding with frost their only friend

I wish I had better feedback but my gut instantly thinks that the repetition of "reflects on near misses" and "she thinks on things abandoned after Christmas" feels accidental and not deliberate. I also think the first instance (reflects on near misses) is a weaker line in the poem, too vague and improved on by the second iteration.

The more (maybe ironically) free-flowing lines are good, I think the juxtaposition of ice imagery and solid frozen landscape jives with the more stream of consciousness lines : say "Straightened body reset weight she shifts to safety"

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Catfishenfuego posted:

Winter Grave

Slick cold half melted ice rehardened Cold+ice is cliché, use a different word than "cold"
lines the cobblestones searching for an errant foot :radcat: Nice. I'm glad you made the ice so active
she slides
envisions an ignoble end

Straightened body, reset weight she shifts to safety I think "weight reset" would sound better here, but maybe that's just me.
Reflects on near misses
as gaze set down awkward line, "as gaze"
Corpses unsunk, the crime revealed by frost :radcat:

Rime shine frost set fresh on edges :radcat:
Bodies shedding with frost their only friend "x is my/their only friend" is cliché

The best thing about this poem is how it finds new and inventive ways to convey the old "one foot in the grave" idea. We have ice "half melted" but also "rehardened"; presumably warm, living palms "half stick" to a frosty rail; a reflection on near misses (in the course of her life, she has been close to falling/death before); "bodies...Corpses" are only partially buried insofar as the trees are "half submerged". You really drive this point home well. Some of the images are good, for example the hand on the rail and the felled trees, half sunk and covered in frost. I think this piece is fine without another verse. Unless that verse is amazing don't shoehorn it in just to have it there. With revision, this could be a neat poem.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Catfishenfuego posted:

she slides
envisions an ignoble end

Reflects on near misses
as gaze set down
hehehhehehehe gays sat down

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
I've got a question about submitting poetry to lit mags. For mags that accept multiple submissions, am I better off submitting one poem I think they will really like, or should I submit as many pieces as they let me? Lately I've been using a "throw gum at the wall" strategy, thinking I should submit as many stylistically varied poems to a single outlet that I can, all in the hopes that one will stick. On the other hand, I'm wondering if a lack of consistent style between poems will hurt ALL my submissions. That is, if an outlet hates most of my work, will the staff there really ignore all that dislike just to print the one piece they do enjoy? What's the conventional wisdom on this within the poetry publishing community?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

I've got a question about submitting poetry to lit mags. For mags that accept multiple submissions, am I better off submitting one poem I think they will really like, or should I submit as many pieces as they let me? Lately I've been using a "throw gum at the wall" strategy, thinking I should submit as many stylistically varied poems to a single outlet that I can, all in the hopes that one will stick. On the other hand, I'm wondering if a lack of consistent style between poems will hurt ALL my submissions. That is, if an outlet hates most of my work, will the staff there really ignore all that dislike just to print the one piece they do enjoy? What's the conventional wisdom on this within the poetry publishing community?

so if a publication is saying "send us up to 5 poems" they generally aren't looking to publish a collection of poems. rather, they're just looking for you to send them up to 5 poems and they'll pick the ones they want to publish. it doesnt really matter if they're connected or not in any way, just send them as if theyre unrelated because they prob are. so dont worry about them being disconnected/thematically dissimilar/one of them is way worse than the rest because that shouldn't have any bearing on getting any of the other ones published.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Thanks for the feedback guys, I've altered some of the lines to tighten it up a bit, though I've become happier with how it ends rather than thinking it might need another verse.

Slick grey half melted ice rehardened
she slides
envisions an ignoble end

Straightened body weight reset she shifts to safety
Her view over railing
A reflection on near misses
Corpses unsunk the crime betrayed by cold

Bodies shedding with ice unhappy lovers

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

My advice is generally submit as many as you can. As someone who organises poetry events and exhibitions if someone submits four things I don't like and one thing I think is great it's not going to make me pass up the one great thing. (At worst I'll hint to them they should definitely do more stuff in the style of that one thing so I can greedily consume their work).

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 26, 2016

unao
Dec 12, 2013
i just finished this, it's cool because the name also describes the poem. i just have been discussing these topics with a friend and thishappened .I know this forum is in english, this is only a shot in the dark. but who knows, we can be pretty global at times

[poem was too bad, edited it and it's something completely different, likely wont post it]

unao fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 19, 2016

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
What is this thing we've built that nobody owns?

I believe people grow /kinder/.

Be productive between cigarettes.

Repetition is /not/ the opposite of Novelty.

If you wish to harvest a healthy crop of genius, spent two years encouraging the mediocre.

i am the Center of my own Universe - it could not be otherwise - and so too must it be that You are the Center of Yours.
That does not mean you cannot be, for a time, the Captain of my experiences, nor that i, with your consent, might not /serve/ as the Captain of Yours.

"Despair Not!" she cried, "There is /reason/ for Hope!"
Indeed! Imagine! What if it /isn't/ already too late?
"Follow me," she continued, "that we might Collaborate - and by so doing, avoid folly."

We ain't stand t'hear, round 'ere,
the "I ain't et yet" blues;
so part your lips, my dear,
closed mouths won't get fed.

If we are fated to kill our gods, shall we not begin by sacrificing Artemis, herself, upon that obscene altar?
Nor ought'n't we next - slay Mars?
Why shun we Venus?
Why persistently defame Set, libel Muhammad, and slander Zoroaster?

She is the Lightning and the Thunder
She is the Crackling of a fire
She is the Rumbling of an earthquake
and i'm a tumbling spire

If you are not bringing yourself to tears as you write,
what hope have you of taking your audience there?
How do you expect to moisten their eyes while yours are dry?
Learn to listen to your ducts.
Live, well up, /then/ write.
Stain your pages with more than just Ink.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I want again to feel
your teeth against mine
our toes entangled,
our tongues entwined
wrapped 'round each other
like oak and vine

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

epipen posted:

holy poo poo nice

this might make my project somewhat pointless

But still

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I have perfect timing.

Like two birds colliding in the sky.

Nice weather for grass on my lawn.

Soaking rain into a damp morning.

Then burning sun and the cool petting of the trees that line the street.

Right time of the year to reach for a fireball and survive doing it.

Do you remember where you were, the moment time began?

I do. I was right here. So were you and all of us, and everything else and the space between.

The emptiness is what pushed us apart. It never stopped and never will.

Gravity tries holding us down and crushing us together anyway. It kind of works.

Do you remember when we first met? Everyone in the universe was there. We met at the beginning like everything else.

And then here we are. Living in the dirt and looking up at where we were.

PilslopWick
May 8, 2015
I used this for a performance piece that had a guitar, clarinet, percussion and dancers while someone read off the poem. It was good but in a lot of ways I don't feel this poem is complete.

2+2=3

The end of the world
Standing on a corner
Nowhere to go, no time left to grow
Everything is right before us
Night's wrapping,
There's movements in the shadows,
It's that special time
The final questions are being asked
What does the end even mean?
No more hangovers?
Twist your head back in its place, this is our last chance
It's too late for wishes
The time to watch is over
Let desires become motions
There will be no sit-ins, no processions
Tomorrow the earth falls off the edge
And into the snake pit
Buildings will burn
Canyons will shake
The rats will rise from the sewers
Turn your eyes off
Start loving the night

Don't stop, don't ask
Poise, dance,
Attack, enchant
We'll dance until the bomb drops,
Foaming at the mouth
Don't let your eyes get shifty,
We're all spirits soft to the touch
Fire, fire, fire
Rise, rise, rise
Why weren't we like this before?
Did anything ever matter?
The call for destruction's made us crazy
Don't let rapture sway
Stomp your feet
All the rules are gone
Twisted faces show through the woodwork
As the moon eats through the streetlights
Skyscrapers shrink in the fire
2+2=3

So that's it
That different time of our fathers never happened
What's the point in even talking about it anyways?
It's been the end the whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've started going to my poetry night again. I figure I need to do this whole, "networking" business if I'm to get anywhere.

There's a five word challenge. The audience suggests five words, then have 12 or so minutes to write a poem and read it out. I did so (I almost always take part,) and won for the first time last night. A free pint, a notebook, and two poetry books. Huzzah!

My poem.

Fly Banana

Fly Banana
Creation goes in a direction you cannot imagine.
Life!
Now that’s predictable.
Birth, death, struggle, TV, joy!
Procreation if you’re lucky,
Not if you’re gay,
Not if you take the bus to work on a cold, foggy morning.
TV if your aerial happens to point the right way.
Rewriting plays,
Inputting invoices,
Life is your sport.
No!
Meddle in life.
gently caress it all up.
Fly banana.
Be your own worth.

Edit: The five words were; “Banana,” “Fly,” “Creation,” “Direction,” and “Bus.”

• Locked thread