Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

echinopsis posted:

wife has a MacBook Air

it's pretty good but also half the time it's like "how do we do (normal thing on Windows)?"
and if you're lucky it's possible

it always feels so black box to me. I have no idea often where anything is saved or if it's backed up on the iCloud or who knows. if something grows wrong you're just gently caress out of luck

I get the appeal and I'm being reasonable but I really just happy for my wife to use it an I avoid it as much as possible

if you were used to using a real *nix operating system you wouldn't have this problem :troll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

no trolling.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

so many iPod iPhone cables disintegrated into literal poo poo. literal

poo poo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
apple is good op. please report to your local apple store for reeducation

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I have to take a passport to go to my nearest Apple Store because it is at least three hours by plane away and in another country with poisonous snakes and poo poo there. you know this already pram. Apple Store? heh. don't make me chortle obesely

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the ipod classic with a platter hd only had enough ram to load a single track then the platter would halt. so if you were listening to something that was an hour, the platter would spin the whole time and if you dropped it or knocked it a little that was it

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

They never should have let people on those islands

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
whenever i eat too many apples i have a super broken apple poo poo

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
the display ribbon cable (that stupid fragile flexpcb thing) on my powerbook 5300ce tore, so i had to get a replacement from ebay

i got a mac mini for free once, and the fan was blowing like crazy. full speed all the time. so i opened it up to plug the temperature sensor back in, and noticed some brand new ram. stupid previous owner

i had an imac g5 that wouldnt boot, so i replaced the capacitors and used it for several years after

thats all i can think of at the moment

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
[clicks yellow plus sign in window title bar]
[window grows to encompass just over 33% of screen]

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

atomicthumbs posted:

sounds like it is your meat computer that is broken, rendering you colorblind

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

pram posted:

apple is good op. please report to your local apple store for reeducation

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

graph posted:

the ipod classic with a platter hd only had enough ram to load a single track then the platter would halt. so if you were listening to something that was an hour, the platter would spin the whole time and if you dropped it or knocked it a little that was it

yeah thats because it was designed for cool people to listen to music not obese nerds to listen to the game of thrones audiobook

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

graph posted:

i literally just tested this with the one i have and that's not true, it caches what it can and spins down. spins back up only for a few seconds every couple minutes.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

linoleum floors posted:

yeah thats because it was designed for cool people to listen to music not obese nerds to listen to the game of thrones audiobook
it might work for your justin bieber tunes but the real cool people listen to single-file dj sets

literally one of the reasons i got sick of itunes really quickly was dj mixes (both single and split file) not really working with its artist/album paradigm

rockbox could work off the filesystem and even had cuesheet support which was nice except nobody does cuesheets because who cares

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:qq: my paradigm :qq:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
:mrgw:my paradigm:smugmrgw:

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

:saddowns: "Various Artists" :saddowns:

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

jony ive aces posted:

it might work for your justin bieber tunes but the real cool people listen to single-file dj sets

literally one of the reasons i got sick of itunes really quickly was dj mixes (both single and split file) not really working with its artist/album paradigm

rockbox could work off the filesystem and even had cuesheet support which was nice except nobody does cuesheets because who cares

im the douchebag that listens to "dj mixes" on his iPod

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
AirPlay on ATV is loving janky, broken, pisstrash garbage for clowns at the loving clown circus.

AirPlay on my FireTV works loving perfectly.

How badly do you have to gently caress up that the Android solution is better.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

linoleum floors posted:

im the douchebag that listens to "dj mixes" on his iPod

:same:

i liek spinnin sessions myself :smugdog::pipe:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just buy albums on cd at borders

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

jony ive aces posted:

i have been looking for a good way to play music on osx for like 5 years and this week instead of doing work i've been sperging out setting up mpd/ncmpcpp and it is amazing

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
just run winamp in a vm

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

AirPlay on ATV is loving janky, broken, pisstrash garbage for clowns at the loving clown circus.

AirPlay on my FireTV works loving perfectly.

How badly do you have to gently caress up that the Android solution is better.

i don't understand this because airplay on my atv used to work perfect and i streamed movies over it all the time but it broke about a year ago and now it sucks poo poo. idk what they did

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

Lol

[window gets smaller]

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i bet people would pay money to make windows on mac work correctly. so maximize works and alt tab works, and finder works

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

obstipator posted:

Lol

[window gets smaller]

[clicks red button with a cross in it]
[program minimises and keeps running]

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

very few programs continue running when you close the main window, mostly old legacy stuff

the full screen feature has been around for a long time

cmd-tab is fine, expose is better

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Raluek posted:

sounds like it is your meat computer that is broken, rendering you colorblind

sorry i dont use macs so i may be misremembering

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Necc0 posted:

i don't understand this because airplay on my atv used to work perfect and i streamed movies over it all the time but it broke about a year ago and now it sucks poo poo. idk what they did

get the new FireTv (it loving owns) and install AirPlay/DLNA receiver Pro from the App Store.

AirPlay/mirroring works perfectly. gonna sell my ATV now that I don't need it at all.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
a thread about broken apple poo poo? [no, trolling!]

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i just realized i have the knowhow to create a Good version of windows explorer on mac. i own.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah u just install windows.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Tho apparently a factory clean install means leaving testing artifacts in the installation and errors when clicking System Preferences, requiring me to reinstall myself.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

emoji posted:

Tho apparently a factory clean install means leaving testing artifacts in the installation and errors when clicking System Preferences, requiring me to reinstall myself.

lol that they have to replace the battery if the trackpad doesn't work

and what is a "testing artifact"

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

the friendly Apple community will help you with all your Apple problems.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

just take it to the genius bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no you see Apple products are superior, because instead of fixing it myself in an hour I have to ship it out for 3 weeks unless it's so bad I can just get an immediate replacement

• Locked thread