Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Stabitha posted:

I think that one would be disqualified for not being an American crime.

Well, it's a couple continents too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If he listened to the portions where fuhrman mentions his wife, especially disparagingly, then yes, since that could've easily affected sentencing or judicial impartiality. Since he didn't, a case could be made that it wouldn't significantly affect it, and that combined with a judge ruling that he could continue on makes it all above board as a matter of legal jurisprudence.

It's also a matter of practicality. The trial had been ongoing for half a year at that point, was one of the most overexposed and overdiscussed cases in the history of law. It would be nearly impossible to find another ostensibly impartial jury, which is what a presiding judge recusal means since it'd be declared a mistrial. On top of that, you have to look at who a mistrial benefits. The defense doesn't want it because their race card/ police incompetence story only really works once, with the prosecution caught completely flat-footed and unable to respond, on top of structuring their evidentiary presentation via the single perspective of fuhrman. Invalidate fuhrman, invalidate most to all of the evidence.

On the prosecution side they want a mistrial, but pushing for one could set up accusations of double jeopardy (which, literally speaking, is what the prosecution would've been trying to do) and there's still the fairly reasonable hope that they'll win based on the plurality of evidence combined with the egotistical expectation that they're going to win by default that guided every single misguided and foolhardy prosecutorial decision up to this point. So they don't want it either, not at all.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Which is why everyone's reaction on all sides to that popping up in the Fuhrman tapes was "AW gently caress ARE YOU KIDDING ME", it made for amusing television but I bet nobody at the time was remotely amused by it. What a horrid and ridiculous coincidence.

You couldn't have written most of this stuff in an original screenplay because it strains belief. No executive producer would give it the green light.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
It's funny, while watching this show I was thinking about how anyone could buy this conspiracy nonsense. Now I'm going through the the Netflix series Making a Murderer and I'm all CONSPIRACY! :monocle:

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/14/american-crime-story-people-oj-emmy-nominations

quote:

It’s a good day at FX and Ryan Murphy Productions. The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story was just lauded with a huge 22 Emmy nominations this morning, including Outstanding Limited Series.

Executive producers Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson said in a statement, “We are so proud of The People v OJ Simpson and the amazing response it has received. The entire experience has been gratifying from start to finish. We came to television production as fans first – there is just so much incredible TV being made right now. It is thrilling to have produced a series that is now being recognized alongside so many shows that we are obsessed with. And now, to have ALL of our directors, writers and lead actors, along with so much of our crew be nominated this morning is simply overwhelming. On behalf of all of them and the teams at FX and Fox, we are so grateful for the honor.”

The series, about the iconic murder trial of O.J. Simpson, notably landed acting noms for all of its main castmembers — Cuba Gooding Jr., Sarah Paulson, Courtney B. Vance, John Travolta, David Schwimmer, and Sterling K. Brown.

Murphy shared a statement with EW: “Working on The People v. O.J. Simpson has been a career highlight and its own reward, but I am especially moved by the recognition for everyone who devoted their hearts and souls to this project—from our brilliant cast to our amazing writers and directors to the extraordinary producers. We are all incredibly grateful. It’s a happy day.”

Schwimmer, who was nominated once before for Friends, said, “I am totally surprised and thrilled to be nominated alongside my other cast mates, as well as the show’s writers, producers, and directors. I’m proud to be part of such a timely and provocative series, and hope it continues to contribute to the much-needed discussion of race and class in this country.”

First-time nominee Brown, who played prosecutor Chris Darden, released a statement as well: “So this is it! To paraphrase my favorite musical, I get to be in the room where it happens! I am beyond thrilled to be receiving my first Emmy nomination! What an incredible journey the last 15 years has been. Allow me to first recognize the village that has supported me from the very beginning. My friends & family in St. Louis, MO (Love you, Aralean Brown, aka Ma), my Stanford compatriots (#chocolatecardinal), and my friends and faculty from the 5th floor @NYU. To my agents at Innovative David Rose, and Allison Levy, I adore you both. To my manager Jennifer Wiley Stockton, I wouldn’t know what to do without you. Thanks for believing in me when I had a tough time believing in myself. And to the love of my life, Ryan Michelle Bathe Brown, thank you for saying yes, for baring two of the most gorgeous children in the world, and inspiring me with your insane talent, intelligence, and passion everyday!

Thank you to the Television Academy for this tremendous honor. Thank you to Ryan Murphy, Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson, 20th Century Fox & FX for allowing yours truly to be a part of this phenomenal team! Thank you to all our incredible writers, including Scott Alexander, Larry Karaszewski, Joe Robert Cole, and D. V. DeVincentis for creating a role that I could only dream of. Thanks to my wonderful directors (already mentioned you, Mr. Murphy) John Singleton and Anthony Hemingway for all your guidance and encouragement. And congratulations to my fellow nominees! Dr. House himself, Hugh Laurie! My extended FX family Bokeem Woodbine, and Jesse Plemmons. And of course my American Crime Story brothers in arms David Schwimmer, and Vincent Vega himself, Mr. John Travolta. Honored to be in the company of you all! And lastly, allow me to congratulate the outstanding leads in our show, Mr. Courtney Bernard Vance, and Mr. Cuba Gooding, Jr. And of course, the lovely and uber talented Ms. Sarah Katherine Paulson. Love you, Darlin’! See you on the carpet!!!!!”

Executive producer Ryan Murphy also scored a directing nod for the first episode, “From the Ashes of Tragedy,” as did writers Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'm really happy all the leads got nominated. Travolta is the only one that probably doesn't deserve it, but I liked his character more than others.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

GonSmithe posted:

I'm really happy all the leads got nominated. Travolta is the only one that probably doesn't deserve it, but I liked his character more than others.

I feel like Cuba probably doesn't really deserve it either, but Sarah Paulson/Courtney B. Vance/Sterling K. Brown all definitely do.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought Cuba was awful and the actual O.J. doc only highlighted just how terrible of a casting choice he was. Hopefully he doesn't take votes away from Vance and Schwimmer/Travolta don't take them away from Brown.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Made in America made it clear that Dwayne Johnson should've been OJ.

Maybe he can be in 20 years.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

computer parts posted:

Made in America made it clear that Dwayne Johnson should've been OJ.

Maybe he can be in 20 years.

For all we know, he may have been offered it and declined.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Cuba's a good actor, but he wasn't a great OJ. Not his fault, mind you, OJ's just a big, imposing dude with a really deep voice that Cuba just can't replicate.

I was thinking the other day that Carl Weathers might have been decent. He doesn't look a lot like OJ either but at least he has a physical presence that I think Cuba was lacking.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 16, 2016

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

ninjahedgehog posted:

Cuba's a good actor, but he wasn't a great OJ. Not his fault, mind you, OJ's just a big, imposing dude with a really deep voice that Cuba just can't replicate.

I was thinking the other day that Carl Weathers might have been decent. He doesn't look a lot like OJ either but at least he has a physical presence that I think Cuba was lacking.

What about Terry Crews in a very subtle fatsuit? Nothing too imposing, just some light prosthetics to add a little chub to his cheeks.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The juice LOVES his yogurt

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

ninjahedgehog posted:

drat, you're right that would be interesting. I would have loved to see Carl Weathers get an award bait role like that at this point in his career too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yes, they definitely should've cast a 68-year-old to play a man in his late 40s.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yes, they definitely should've cast a 68-year-old to play a man in his late 40s.

Hello, I have every teen role ever on the line.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

McSpanky posted:

Hello, I have every teen role ever on the line.

There's a reason that happens often for teen roles and rarely for adult ones. It's also something that's frequently annoying and distracting. Carl Weathers would be great at playing modern O.J., but he can't pass as middle aged.

Also the oldest actors playing teens are usually still in their 20s, with some exceptions that are always extremely obviously not even close.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I know, but it's still a pretty silly complaint in general. If the makeup can make it work then so what? There's a lot more age shifting in adult roles than most people realize anyway.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

There's a reason that happens often for teen roles and rarely for adult ones. It's also something that's frequently annoying and distracting. Carl Weathers would be great at playing modern O.J., but he can't pass as middle aged.

Also the oldest actors playing teens are usually still in their 20s, with some exceptions that are always extremely obviously not even close.

Bianca Lawson though

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Yeah the age issue is a thing. Weathers could play older more pathetic armed robbery OJ though!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Maybe if they make a one shot special featuring the geriatric armed robbery case?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It could have been worse. Tyler Perry could have been half of the cast.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Propaganda Machine posted:

It could have been worse. Tyler Perry could have been half of the cast.

This would have been great if Eddie Murphy was the other half of the cast

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

timp posted:

What about Terry Crews in a very subtle fatsuit? Nothing too imposing, just some light prosthetics to add a little chub to his cheeks.

That would have been pretty awesome I think. Crews has the energy of a psychotic killer down pat.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Season 2 will focus on Hurricane Katrina

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

This has been known since January
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fxs-american-crime-story-season-851993

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think the news is Murphy may not actually be writing S2, which is good loving news to me. That's been my concern ever since the first season ended. Just keep the man directing and working with the actors.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Thats good news since Murphy is a hack and they're def gonna need to pull something out of their rear end to make the katrina concept not absolute poo poo.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

zVxTeflon posted:

Thats good news since Murphy is a hack and they're def gonna need to pull something out of their rear end to make the katrina concept not absolute poo poo.

Well for me, the coolest part about Season 1 was constantly saying "wait, that actually loving happened?" So from that perspective, I've done a 180 and I think focusing on Hurricane Katrina will actually be a pretty cool story to tell.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I have to imagine they have a better angle on "American crime" beyond "lol FEMA" and "Bush lied people died," so if they do indeed have that ace up the sleeve, it could be fantastic.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Sarah Paulson: Watching Myself as Marcia Clark in The People v. O.J. Simpson 'Literally Made Me Ill'

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Propaganda Machine posted:

I have to imagine they have a better angle on "American crime" beyond "lol FEMA" and "Bush lied people died," so if they do indeed have that ace up the sleeve, it could be fantastic.

You know, I really think they might. I scoffed at first like everyone else, but thinking about OJ, it's a story that everybody knows about, but not one that everybody really knows.

And I think Katrina has a bunch of those stories too. Specifically what the victims went through at the various arenas. When you really read into it, there are lot of horror stories, and putting a visual to it might be a powerful thing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

OmegaBR posted:

You know, I really think they might. I scoffed at first like everyone else, but thinking about OJ, it's a story that everybody knows about, but not one that everybody really knows.

And I think Katrina has a bunch of those stories too. Specifically what the victims went through at the various arenas. When you really read into it, there are lot of horror stories, and putting a visual to it might be a powerful thing.

I would be pretty happy if pointing out that the American Sniper dude was a pathological liar who made up stories about murdering people during Katrina was at least a subplot.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

OmegaBR posted:

Someone else may have mentioned it earlier in the thread, but 'Shake the Devil Off' is a book pertaining to two bar owners/Bf-GF couple that stayed open during the hurricane. Then the BF hacked his GF up in the bathtub and committed suicide at some point after. I'm sure THAT debacle wasn't directly related to the hurricane, but it still hits that 'what?! No goddamn way' aspect.

ANother thing that stuck with me in the Katrina aftermath was an interview of a grandmother, who explained she had written her grandson's name on all of his clothes, saying that if they got separated/one of them died, they'd be able to identify him. Katrina was a goddamn horrorshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The thing about the couple featured in Shake the Devil Off is that they met during the crisis of Katrina and became a sort of inspiration for all of New Orleans, that good could come from all the bad. Then he ate her.

• Locked thread