Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I get that those were the Kardashians of terrible reality TV show fame, FX, I don't need Kris to point it out.

spoon0042 posted:

My main though, other than he totally did it, is has Schwimmer even done anything since Friends.

and time for the :siren: SLOW SPEED CHASE :siren:

e: next episode I guess.

He played a completely inept douche of a WWII company commander in Band of Brothers, but that might have been during Friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Guys...it's really good. Jesus.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

Regy Rusty posted:

I liked it. I was too young to know anything about the whole media circus around this case when it was actually happening, so everything I know about it comes from reading about it years later.

I think the show is doing a good job so far capturing how utterly insane the atmosphere surrounding the whole thing must have been.

It was that insane. But it also created the very best traffic day of my life. Had I turned onto the 5 freeway a couple of minutes later, it would have been the worst traffic day of my life, most likely. I couldn't figure out why the freeway was empty at rush hour, turned on the news, and it was two people babbling about something going on that I couldn't quite figure out at first, until they finally mentioned "O.J." He was just a couple of miles behind me in the infamous slow speed chase, and had plugged up everyone behind me. I breezed home in record time.

There's a lot to be critical of the actual people involved, from Clark to Cochrane to OJ to the police. Vincent Bugliosi's book on the trial is well worth reading.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I get that those were the Kardashians of terrible reality TV show fame, FX, I don't need Kris to point it out.

That was awful. They also referenced Kim but that was supposedly a real event so I'm okay with it. I hope they shoehorn Bruce Jenner in some clumsy way.

The show was not very good. I'm not sure Cuba Gooding Jr. makes a good OJ and its hard to take David Schwimmer seriously especially with that silly hair dye job. John Travolta did a surprisingly good job though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Way better than I expected. Cuba's performance is great imo, but he's just too small to be OJ. You look at OJ and you believe he could nearly decapitate someone with a knife. Cuba, though?

I'm also 100% on board with the rest of the casting. Sarah Paulson's Marcia hair is so gloriously bad.

e: just over halfway through I felt like that shot where it pulls back with OJ standing at the coffin would have been a great cut to credits if it weren't so drat early in the episode. in retrospect I'm so glad it's just going straight into the chase next week

esperterra fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 3, 2016

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

esperterra posted:

e: just over halfway through I felt like that shot where it pulls back with OJ standing at the coffin would have been a great cut to credits if it weren't so drat early in the episode. in retrospect I'm so glad it's just going straight into the chase next week

I agree, I thought the episode would end on that shot, especially since it was 10:59 PM. It was a great shot, and you could just feel the contempt in the room. That being said I'm happy it continued and I can't wait for episode two, which I've heard is exclusively the Bronco chase.

I watched that June 17, 1994 documentary right after this episode thanks to DivisionPost's recommendation, and I think it made me appreciate this show even more (and it was a really great doc in its own right as well). There were quite a few clips shown from 1994 that were depicted in last night's episode that I didn't even realize were actual occurrences like OJ briefly being shown in cuffs, or the police being made to look like jackasses when OJ doesn't show. I assumed they wouldn't show those things in ACS unless they actually happened (truth is stranger than fiction and all that) but it was really cool to see the actual clips right after the show.

By that same token, I'm really glad I was able to see a bunch of footage of the Bronco chase in that documentary, because now I'll be able to more accurately contrast it with next week's episode. To me it proved how dedicated the show seems to be to include all the weird little ancillary and one-off details that actually happened in 94, which is exactly what I was hoping for. Speaking of that, I really appreciated the little comments from nameless passers-by, members of the media, etc. that seem to reflect the general public's opinion at the time. Stuff like "Who comes to a funeral with a lawyer?"

Very impressed with this show so far!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

spoon0042 posted:

My main though, other than he totally did it, is has Schwimmer even done anything since Friends.

Band of Brothers, for a bit.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Vulture has a fascinating interview with Marcia Clark, covering her feelings about the show, her reaction to the first episode (including the things it got wrong, which she points out with little apparent contempt save for the excerpt I'm about to share), and the perspective she has on the case 20 years later.

quote:

But then they blew one of the greatest lines in the show. Detective Ron Phillips, wonderful guy, he was the one who called to notify Simpson in Chicago. What he actually told Simpson was, “Your wife is dead.” And Simpson's response was, “Who killed her?” Wait a minute, how about a car accident? How about an overdose?

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I found it incredibly entertaining. Travolta opening the door to the house had me rolling.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

computer parts posted:

Band of Brothers, for a bit.

Technically it was during Friends. Since then, I don't have a clue.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
He was in Curb Your Enthusiasm for a season.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Lest we forget

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

The Bronco chase has to be its own episode. You could do a whole movie about that chase alone.

In fact they kinda did. If anyone out here hasn't seen June 17, 1994 yet, get your rear end to Netflix and rectify that immediately.

Just watched this and holy poo poo had no idea how loving crazy that day must have been. I was born in 92 so I obviously had no idea what the gently caress the OJ trial was all about until I was older and kept hearing OJ references on tv and talk shows and stuff. Excited to watch the show now.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

DivisionPost posted:

Vulture has a fascinating interview with Marcia Clark, covering her feelings about the show, her reaction to the first episode (including the things it got wrong, which she points out with little apparent contempt save for the excerpt I'm about to share), and the perspective she has on the case 20 years later.

Great link. She isn't defensive, she's inciteful, acknowledges the situations, what were the problems, what the show got right, what it got wrong. I seem to recall that Kardashian was not left sitting outside the fence when OJ returned, but carried in a garment bag from the car (with the conspiracy theory that this contained the bloody clothes OJ wore the night of the murder), which she doesn't mention.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah I kept waiting for the garment bag to show up for the whole episode. I was like seven when this was all going down and even I remember that being a big deal at the time. Maybe they'll slot it in during or after the chase? Can't imagine a show about the trial without that tidbit one way or another, even if the timing is probably all off for it now.

e: i mean they're going to take liberties anyway so

e2: i wonder how ambiguous they're going to keep the show on the whole 'did he loving do it or not?' (spoiler: he totally did it)

esperterra fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 3, 2016

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

esperterra posted:

(spoiler: he totally did it)

Kato did it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This show is off to a fantastic start. The guy playing Kato is hilarious.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

sportsgenius86 posted:

Travolta is a douche but he's nailing Shapiro

You mean he's nailing it because he's a douche :v:

Anyway color me surprised at how good this is.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I only have vague memories of the chase and the famous still shots of the court case. Being in Australia and 12 years old didn't expose me to the circus.

It's great that I get to see all the drama unfold, but I'm a bit concerned I won't fully appreciate it based on the AV Club review. They made a point of praising the show for getting through "the stuff that everyone knows that the media drummed on about" really fast and spending a lot of time on the behind the scenes stuff instead. I don't know what all "the stuff" is so I really hope they don't gloss over it too fast.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

timp posted:

I watched that June 17, 1994 documentary right after this episode thanks to DivisionPost's recommendation,

thanks for recommending this, it makes me can't wait for next week's likely insane af episode

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah this is great, loved the first episode.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

my expectations for this was extremely low, then the reviews came out last week which made my expectations really high, and this exceeded them

the one complaint i kept reading was about travolta's portrayal of shapiro but imo he does a loving perfect job playing the status-obsessed doofus shapiro was

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Random thoughts after watching it

Wish there was some announcements Fox made about the payments that are or aren't going to OJ for it. Makes you feel dirty just watching it.

I hope the point of the scene of the paparazzi at the funeral condemning OJ for bringing the lawyer was to make the viewer think about rocks in glass houses because wow. Have some kind of self awareness motherfucker.

They're really going out of their way to play up the Kardashian element. At first I thought it was just going to be a quick mention, then thought "oh well if it's true he did threaten to kill himself in 'Kimmy's' room then I can understand that ridiculous name dropping" but with the funeral dropping Khloe and the rest no, it's just Fox name dropping them repeatedly for viewership reasons. I get that they're some of the most famous people in the world now but ugh.

Cuba Gooding is legit insane in real life and this role is perfect for him.

Thoroughly enjoyed first episode. I hope episode 2 is the low speed chase for the whole hour. That'd be amazing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i thought the reference to the kardashian children was smart and brief

i mean seriously it was one line, and apparently they're gonna be used for a robert kardashian scene later on in the series

of all the characters i think robert kardashian is the most surprising, because both the fact that david schwimmer is totally fuckin' killing it as him and he's a surprisingly sympathetic and tragic figure that the show is deepening really wisely

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Toxxupation posted:

i thought the reference to the kardashian children was smart and brief

i mean seriously it was one line, and apparently they're gonna be used for a robert kardashian scene later on in the series

of all the characters i think robert kardashian is the most surprising, because both the fact that david schwimmer is totally fuckin' killing it as him and he's a surprisingly sympathetic and tragic figure that the show is deepening really wisely

To be completely honest I had no idea where were any Kardashians or Jenners involved in this whole thing, totally missed that as an 8 year old and never made the connection after the fact. So I actually appreciated the acknowledgement! Nowhere near eyeroll-worthy and like you said, 2 lines total. Really surprised to hear people are taking issue with that.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is Cochran telling Darden the hopeless case being able to go into a civil lawsuit deliberately foreshadowing the outcome of the OJ trial?

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

timp posted:

To be completely honest I had no idea where were any Kardashians or Jenners involved in this whole thing, totally missed that as an 8 year old and never made the connection after the fact. So I actually appreciated the acknowledgement! Nowhere near eyeroll-worthy and like you said, 2 lines total. Really surprised to hear people are taking issue with that.

If they kept it to just what's been in the first episode people aren't going to have a problem with it, having Kris, Khloe, Kim at the funeral with that dumb camera follow towards the kids with him repeatedly saying Kim's name in the bedroom is a bit much that makes me fearful we're going to be getting way more egregious poo poo later on. Hopefully we don't.

It's going to be less or more annoying depending on how much of the Kardashian bubble you've been able to avoid in your life.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 4, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Possibly? but remember, the OJ trial from the outset was one where going into it looked like a slam loving dunk, and it's why virtually everyone agrees twenty years removed that OJ loving did it (in comparison to many other high-profile trials and especially celebrity crimes; there are still people who will honestly argue that Polanski didn't rape that girl, for instance)

like, if you knew ANYTHING about the case you knew about the overwhelming physical evidence, the low-speed chase (which made OJ look even more guilty as gently caress), his unreliable and constantly shifting alibi, his awful weirdo alibi witnesses, his history of spousal abuse, his anger issues, and on and on and on

to me, looking back on it the OJ trial is both a totally pointless bit of celebrity fluff that kickstarted our celebrity culture and 24-hour news cycle while simultaneously being this really nascent and honest warning about why you don't treat minorities like poo poo or allow a culture of police brutality and distrust to form, or you get situations where people are both justifiably pissed off and willing to embarrass the living poo poo out of the police as the jury and willing to buy one of the slam-dunkiest slam dunk murder cases as one huge frame job by the police to bring a friend of the family down who "didn't know his place"

basically preliminary opinions from defense attorneys was much like cochran's. it was a seemingly inescapable murder rap, and OJ's chief attorney was a dude well-known for engineering plea deals. everyone sort of expected OJ to plea out, maybe somehow get it reduced to manslaughter and/or get charged with temporary insanity, take a deal for x years, only serve a third of them, and be out within the decade. nobody expected OJ to actually go to trial, and it's part of why it turned into the circus it eventually became. at this level and with this much evidence against him, suspects (Especially celebrities) don't really make this go all the way to court. they use their status, money, and influence to buy whether literally or figuratively lesser verdicts, do very little time, and emerge relatively unscathed. the fact that OJ got a not guilty verdict is part of what makes it so memorable

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 4, 2016

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Oh and anyone wondering just how big a deal the trial was if you weren't American and/or around the time of it, I was in middle school in NYC when it took place and my principal played them reading the verdict over the school intercom when it took place. There were extra teachers called to stand in classes incase there was any pre-teen rioting (I don't even know why they thought this was possible).

One of my teachers years after that told our class that she had her life defined by certain moments where she knew exactly where she was when it happened, JFK being shot, etc. Mine was a Tuesday morning sitting in a cold rear end history classroom with two little black girls who started crying when he was found not guilty.

I wish my life were defined by cooler moments.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Botnit posted:

Oh and anyone wondering just how big a deal the trial was if you weren't American and/or around the time of it, I was in middle school in NYC when it took place and my principal played them reading the verdict over the school intercom when it took place. There were extra teachers called to stand in classes incase there was any pre-teen rioting (I don't even know why they thought this was possible).

One of my teachers years after that told our class that she had her life defined by certain moments where she knew exactly where she was when it happened, JFK being shot, etc. Mine was a Tuesday morning sitting in a cold rear end history classroom with two little black girls who started crying when he was found not guilty.

Now all I can think of is that Stripper in the Sopranos.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

Botnit posted:

If they kept it to just what's been in the first episode people aren't going to have a problem with it, having Kris, Khloe, Kim at the funeral with that dumb camera follow towards the kids with him repeatedly saying Kim's name in the bedroom is a bit much that makes me fearful we're going to be getting way more egregious poo poo later on. Hopefully we don't.

It's going to be less or more annoying depending on how much of the Kardashian bubble you've been able to avoid in your life.

There's also that lingering rumor that OJ is really Khloe's real dad. I'm doubting it'll actually be brought up in the show based on what I've seen but I also wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of oblique nod to it.

I forgot how much of the events and names were familiar to me. My dad was law enforcement and my mom is obsessed with true crime so we had the coverage on constantly when I was a kid.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I watched the 30 for 30: Jun 17, 1994 last night. Definitely worth watching, and stay through the credits, that commercial is crazy. I remember watching the whole bronco chase with my dad and my brother, I was 10 years old and it was actually on my mom's birthday.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
At some point I hope this show goes into detail about DNA profiling because how it related to the OJ Simpson trial will always be a fascinating subject to me. The first criminal case to use DNA evidence happened 8 years before the trial and the CODIS database was authorized a mere month after the trial started. DNA profiling was a thoroughly established tool in Law Enforcement by June of 1994 but no one in civilian life could tell you anything about what it was or how it worked.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Botnit posted:

Nope, our generation got OJ, Space Shuttle Columbia maybe, and 9/11.

Although if those are the only "where you were" moments, we get, I'll take them because there could be a whole lot worse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This might be slightly relevant, if dark, humor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47FGLkYaDQA

The audio is from an exercise tape he made in the early 90s.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I was sitting in the exact same location for the Challenger exploding, Kurt Cobain's death, and the Bronco chase.

For the verdict itself, I was cutting final period in 10th grade and smoking cigarettes in the parking lot when a friend came out and told me they announced it over the school's intercom.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

David Schwimmer and John Travolta running around a mansion shouting "Juice?" is one of the funniest thing I've seen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sash! posted:

Nope, our generation got OJ, Space Shuttle Columbia maybe, and 9/11.

Although if those are the only "where you were" moments, we get, I'll take them because there could be a whole lot worse.

There's also Iraq/capturing Saddam.

2003 was a hell of a year.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Sarah Paulson is a national treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I like that the first episode specifically introduced a few elements, some small and some large, that became critical to the trial: the in-person delivery of the blood sample to the crime scene, the witness statements that were crucial for establishing the time frame of OJ returning to his house (later to be inadmissible due to the witnesses selling their stories to tabloids), Det. Mark Fuhrman scaling the fence and being left alone at OJ's house.

• Locked thread