Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
On the subject of O.J., here's the trailer for ESPN's 30 for 30's 7.5 hour documentary on him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrB3rOcrJxg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Toxxupation posted:

That all being said the insane ludicrous overwhelming preponderance of evidence did half of the prosecution's job for them. Like, seriously, OJ is a trial you have to actively, aggressively gently caress up prosecuting to get an acquittal. The sheer fact that they weren't able to convince one jury member that OJ did it is mind-blowing. Mind-blowing. Mind loving blowing.

What are you talking about? They convinced 2 jurors that he did it. 2 of them voted guilty. But those jurors were never going to be able to convince the other 10 to convict.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

What are you talking about? They convinced 2 jurors that he did it. 2 of them voted guilty. But those jurors were never going to be able to convince the other 10 to convict.

That's not how jury deliberations work. You need unanimity to reach a verdict, anything else is a hung jury.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm bummed that it's over. That was a Hell of a show, and every episode I would say to myself 'they can't top the performances from last episode, but holy crap, they delivered.

David Schwimmer was a surprise treat to watch. I only know hims from being in Friends, so I wasn't expecting such a great performance. The times when you just see his face crumble when it's hitting him that OJ most likely actually committed the murders was incredible.

:v:: Fuhrman set me up! This is incredible!
:smith:: .....

With the Katrina season, I really hope they have Kanye going off script on the televised fundraiser 'George Bush doesn't care about Black people'. Mike Myers's expression and the quick cut to Chris Tucker having no clue what the Hell just happened still makes me chuckle.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

If Kanye does not play Kanye I'll be very disappointed

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

At the end was the old white lady juror in the same car as the Goldmans?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
^ I thought that was supposed to be Ron mother, Fred's ex?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

If Kanye does not play Kanye I'll be very disappointed

Even a drama doesn't need THAT type of drama!

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

There better be some Emmy nominations for this show. So many incredible performances

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

Even the small stuff Cochran did, his crossing of the cops and their handling of Fung was excellent. If OJ had a public defender, yes, it would've been an open and shut case, but he didn't, he had the Dream Team, or more accurately, he had Johnnie Cochran and to a lesser extent F. Lee Bailey.

To be totally fair all I really have to go off of is this show, but you really can't understate Alan Dershowitz's role in the whole thing. According to this article, they got some things wrong in his portrayal, but if there's any truth to this, his role was pivotal: In episode 3 when they bring him in, he tells them that their strategy must be to attack the legitimacy of everything, and I think that strategy, along with Cochran's delivery during key moments, is what really won the case. It could be argued that they would have done that without his input or not, but again, all I can really go off of is the show, and he didn't refute that detail in the interview above at the very least.

And obviously the exclusion of the DNA evidence was pretty huge, but I feel that the jury's dismissal of that was more due to how new and unfamiliar DNA evidence was at the time. That being said, I thought the actor who played Barry Scheck did a really fantastic job with his scenes, especially his cross-examinations in court. Also he looks completely different in real life.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Toxxupation posted:

That's not how jury deliberations work. You need unanimity to reach a verdict, anything else is a hung jury.

Yeah, it's a real shocker that after 8 months of what was effectively house arrest, two people couldn't fight all of the other jurors five-to-one to a standstill. At that point, even convincing all ten them to switch from not guilty to guilty would have been easier to get than a hung jury because at that point everybody just wants to get it over with and go home.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 9, 2016

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
The media reaction to Bailey and Fuhrman goes through quite a change after the tapes come out.

A Cross-Examination Ends, and Judging Begins, for Simpson Lawyer
March 19, 1995

quote:

F. Lee Bailey's cross-examination of Mark Fuhrman this week was probably not just the most widely watched interrogation ever but also the most touted, primarily by Mr. Bailey himself. And when it was over, it was surely the most criticized.

For three days, the 61-year-old Mr. Bailey went at Mr. Fuhrman, the detective whom O. J. Simpson's lawyers have accused of planting incriminating evidence. But by the time Mr. Fuhrman stepped down, the consensus was that Mr. Bailey had not produced, that for all of his noises beforehand, the last roar of the lion was really more of a meow.

Mr. Bailey was roundly second-guessed. Worse, perhaps, he was pitied.

"Bailey's job was to show Fuhrman to be evil, and he did not do that," said Laurie Levenson of Loyola University Law School in Los Angeles. "It was to show Fuhrman as a racist, and he has not yet done that. And it was to show that Fuhrman moved a glove, and he certainly did not do that.

"He has an accomplished career, and he himself might have seen it as a kind of comeback, but he didn't seem to have the right style or look for this cross-examination before this jury. If this is his last great cross-examination, this cannot be the way he wanted to go out. On the one hand, it's kind of sad, but on the other, for this case he created his own legend."

F. Lee Bailey: `I Had No Idea There Were Any Tapes'
October 18, 1995

quote:

"I did not know," he said.

He hadn't known that the Fuhrman tapes existed? When he had asked Fuhrman whether he had used that racial slur within the last 10 years, Bailey was unaware of the tapes? Wasn't it often said that no skilled lawyer ever asks a question in court to which he doesn't already know the answer?

"That's a fiction," Bailey said. "You'd like it to be that way, but sometimes it isn't."

He said that during his March cross-examination of Fuhrman, when he had posed those questions and gotten those answers--"You say under oath that you have not addressed any black person as a friend of the family or spoken about black people as niggers in the past 10 years, Detective Fuhrman?" "That's what I'm saying, sir." "So that anyone who comes to this court and quotes you as using that word in dealing with African-Americans would be a liar, would they not, Detective Fuhrman?" "Yes, they would."--he had absolutely no idea that tapes were available to prove that it was Fuhrman who was a liar.

"I'd like to claim that I was that clever, or that I had inside information," Bailey said. "But the fact is that I had no idea there were any tapes."

He said he had picked the 10-year reference arbitrarily, because Judge Lance Ito had already ruled that even more-distant problems of a racial nature that Fuhrman allegedly had should not be allowed in as evidence. When the McKinny tape-recorded interviews with Fuhrman surfaced during the summer, "It was by the most sheer coincidence that he started to shoot his mouth off in April of 1985," Bailey said. Thus, there was proof that Fuhrman used the racial epithet 9 years and 11 months prior to Bailey's cross-examination--or one month inside of Bailey's arbitrary 10-year parameter.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, it's a real shocker that after 8 months of what was effectively house arrest, two people couldn't fight all of the other jurors five-to-one to a standstill. At that point, even convincing all ten them to switch from not guilty to guilty would have been easier to get than a hung jury because at that point everybody just wants to get it over with and go home.

But...the jury goes home whether it's acquittal, conviction, or hung jury. And hung juries aren't reliant on a "length of time" to determine hung jury status, they could've walked into deliberations, looked at each other, gone "well yep I guess we're all committed to our beliefs with zero chance of changing them huh?", left within five minutes, gone straight to Ito, and said "well we can't come to an agreement".

The whole point is that the two holdout jurors were only able to be flipped because the prosecution had failed to sufficiently convince them beyond a reasonable doubt that OJ had killed Nicole and Ron. If they had, then at worst the prosecution was looking at a hung jury and subsequent retrial, which at that point would've been a distinct win for the DA's office. That's why I said they failed to convince even one person; the jury deliberations, especially for a murder case, especially for a murder case as high-profile as this one, were ludicrously short. The two jurors entered with the most tenuous of beliefs that he did it in the first place, which quickly got eradicated.

The prosecution did an absolutely horrible job here, by any conceivable metric.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I feel we needed one more scene from 'The Beast' to really drive home how the prosecution hosed up so bad that even she couldn't stick to her guns.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I only just got around to watching the finale tonight, but god drat that was a good season of television. I was so expecting this to be campy horseshit. I had no idea how sucked in I would get. Everyone is rightfully praising the work of Brown and Vance, but I think Sarah Paulson deserves particular mention - Marcia Clark, eternal punchline, was the most sympathetic character in the whole show.

I also particularly loved Lane's line about the jury's short deliberation - "They've discussed this case less than anybody in the nation."

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Never forget connie Britton's delightful biting of baby carrots as she explained the definition of a Brentwood Hello

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

ninjahedgehog posted:

This has already been rebutted but...

Conversely, after 8 months of bullshit in a bullshit system, what's another few days or weeks of sticking to your guns?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Never forget connie Britton's delightful biting of baby carrots as she explained the definition of a Brentwood Hello

This show's cast was so deep they got her and Selma Blair for like 10 minutes of screen time

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Henchman of Santa posted:

This show's cast was so deep they got her and Selma Blair for like 10 minutes of screen time

"Deep cuts"

(Ugh. When did this phrase come into being and who started it because gently caress.)

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

And hung juries aren't reliant on a "length of time" to determine hung jury status, they could've walked into deliberations, looked at each other, gone "well yep I guess we're all committed to our beliefs with zero chance of changing them huh?", left within five minutes, gone straight to Ito, and said "well we can't come to an agreement".

Is that true? Yikes. Seems like they owe it to the judicial process to talk for a little longer than five minutes.

Also, the jurors asked to have the limo driver's testimony read back. Does anyone know what it was about that testimony that they were interested in? Based on the show, it seems like the 10 "not guilty" votes were rather resolute from the beginning, so I wonder if there was something in that testimony that they felt was especially important.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Sand Monster posted:

Is that true? Yikes. Seems like they owe it to the judicial process to talk for a little longer than five minutes.

Also, the jurors asked to have the limo driver's testimony read back. Does anyone know what it was about that testimony that they were interested in? Based on the show, it seems like the 10 "not guilty" votes were rather resolute from the beginning, so I wonder if there was something in that testimony that they felt was especially important.

From what I recall, the limo driver was meant to establish for the prosecution that at the time he arrived, OJ's Bronco was not there, only for it to appear when he was finally leaving with OJ, helping the prosecution with the timeline and contradicting OJ's. However, on cross the defense got him to waffle on some details, like whether there were one or two other cars in the driveway, making the rest of his testimony suspect. Maybe for the few holdouts on the jury, the details about the Bronco were a sticking point and this gave them enough cover for reasonable doubt.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sand Monster posted:

Well obviously that's a logical exaggeration, and the Judge would've almost certainly argued with them to go back into deliberations and actually try and come to a verdict (or even held them in contempt of court if he felt they were being disingenuous), but yes. Technically speaking, the jury could've done that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
This is a mammoth thread and I'm sure it might've been posted, but Vince Bugliosi released a video where he outlines why OJ is guilty, and how the case was fumbled from multiple angles. Some stuff is presented in the episodes, others aren't. It's a massive watch but incredibly interesting. Plus Bugliosi is cranky and doesn't mince his words ("OJ has the gall to say he's going to tirelessly search for the real killer. I'm sure no fairway and sandtrap remains uncovered").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9F90DHsOdg

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

LadyPictureShow posted:

With the Katrina season, I really hope they have Kanye going off script on the televised fundraiser 'George Bush doesn't care about Black people'. Mike Myers's expression and the quick cut to Chris Tucker having no clue what the Hell just happened still makes me chuckle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDMyArnIdzY

I had to look that one up. That is the most awkward monologue I've ever seen, and the fact that Kanye delivers it in khakis is just priceless.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

This is a mammoth thread and I'm sure it might've been posted, but Vince Bugliosi released a video where he outlines why OJ is guilty, and how the case was fumbled from multiple angles. Some stuff is presented in the episodes, others aren't. It's a massive watch but incredibly interesting. Plus Bugliosi is cranky and doesn't mince his words ("OJ has the gall to say he's going to tirelessly search for the real killer. I'm sure no fairway and sandtrap remains uncovered").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9F90DHsOdg

Holy poo poo that guy might be right but he's such a dick, the video just puts me more on OJ's side than anything.

Just in the first ten minutes with the suggestions that the black jury wasn't clever enough to convict him, and then going to Furhman as your talking head, I can't believe how insulting it is.

Annabel Pee fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 9, 2016

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Doakes posted:

Holy poo poo that guy might be right but he's such a dick, the video just puts me more on OJ's side than anything.

True. But it probably comes from a place of real anger. Bugliosi was a pretty good prosector with a great record, and it must've galled to see something handled so appallingly.

Edit: I will admit the Fhurman thing totally threw me mind. But on the Jury comments, one of the members during selection admitted that she doesn't read at all apart from the racing form and she doesn't really understand that. After the trial she said that she didn't understand the DNA evidence, that it was too complicated and that it was a waste of time. Another juror spoke out afterwards and said that the domestic abuse angle had nothing to do whether OJ could've killed Nicole, which is an astounding statement to make. It's not like the jury was necessarily stupid, but they certainly weren't ideal either.

The breakdown of the footprint moment is a great example of how poor a job the prosecution did. Witness for the defence says one thing, the witness for the prosecution absolutely destroys it and says actually there's not another set of footprints and here I can prove it. Instead of hammering the point home Marcia Clark essentially just says "The defence wants you to think there were two sets of prints, but we all know how that went", treating the whole thing as some flippant aside and not the pretty big fuckup that it was.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 9, 2016

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Vincent Bugliosi also wrote Helter Skelter, which is the quintessential true crime read.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DrVenkman posted:

True. But it probably comes from a place of real anger. Bugliosi was a pretty good prosector with a great record, and it must've galled to see something handled so appallingly.

Edit: I will admit the Fhurman thing totally threw me mind. But on the Jury comments, one of the members during selection admitted that she doesn't read at all apart from the racing form and she doesn't really understand that. After the trial she said that she didn't understand the DNA evidence, that it was too complicated and that it was a waste of time. Another juror spoke out afterwards and said that the domestic abuse angle had nothing to do whether OJ could've killed Nicole, which is an astounding statement to make. It's not like the jury was necessarily stupid, but they certainly weren't ideal either.

Dude seemed really bitter and denigrated everyone involved except the people he had give interviews for him. Hating on the defense team, prosecution, Ito, the jury.

The notion that the OJ-priest discussion could have been admitted takes a massive leap of wishful thinking because his description of 'waiver' would basically eliminate the entire notion of privileged discussion in any jail environment.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

clown shoes posted:

Vincent Bugliosi also wrote Helter Skelter, which is the quintessential true crime read.
He also wrote a book later in life about how you could convict Bush for murder, which was interesting.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
From what I've read, it sounds like Season 2 will try to avoid depicting a lot of the Bush politics, and instead focus on a group of fictional people witnessing and playing out a lot of the local politics, as well as the aftermath at the Superdome and beyond.

And all that worries me, because, as has been noted, Murphy tends to go off the deep end when left to his own devices.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Not thrilled with the idea for season 2 so far - Sound like Treme w/out the music or David Simon's craftsmanship.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Dead Snoopy posted:

Not thrilled with the idea for season 2 so far - Sound like Treme w/out the music or David Simon's craftsmanship.

Pretty much this for me ever since I heard of the concept. Then again, the OJ Simpson trial is kind of a hard act to follow compared to other cases/trials. Kinda blow your load early when you lead with that, but it was an amazing season of television so gently caress it.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

Vintimus Prime posted:

Now I wonder is the show that Martin Sheen is producing/narrating about Jason being the murderer be as compelling as this one?
I read this as Friday the 13th: Brentwood .

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Longbaugh01 posted:

Pretty much this for me ever since I heard of the concept. Then again, the OJ Simpson trial is kind of a hard act to follow compared to other cases/trials. Kinda blow your load early when you lead with that, but it was an amazing season of television so gently caress it.

At some point in season 3 or 4 I hope they do a story on the manhunt for John Wilkes Boothe. So much ridiculous and unbelievable poo poo happened between Lincoln's assassination and Boothe's death in a hail of gunfire that it could stay interesting for 10 episodes, and it would have more or less the same themes as this season and (I assume) the upcoming Katrina season.

EDIT:

Or failing that, do a season on the Fatty Arbuckle murder case and make it a near-complete retread but with 20's costumes:v:

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 10, 2016

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

DarklyDreaming posted:

At some point in season 3 or 4 I hope they do a story on the manhunt for John Wilkes Boothe. So much ridiculous and unbelievable poo poo happened between Lincoln's assassination and Boothe's death in a hail of gunfire that it could stay interesting for 10 episodes, and it would have more or less the same themes as this season and (I assume) the upcoming Katrina season.

EDIT:

Or failing that, do a season on the Fatty Arbuckle murder case and make it a near-complete retread but with 20's costumes:v:

All these older cases are well and good (and maybe just as ridiculous), but I think the current TV audience has this affinity for more near-term nostalgia and I think that's why this show happened and others that have or will.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I wonder if doing the arrest and trial of the Oklahoma City Bombers would make for good tv. Or like, doing Ruby Ridge into Waco into Oklahoma City would work.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Dude seemed really bitter and denigrated everyone involved... the defense team, prosecution, Ito, the jury.

Let's ignore the defense team since that's going down a bit of a different path, but you're suggesting that the prosecution, Ito, and the jury are being unfairly criticized?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Paradox Personified posted:

There is a National Guard member sworn to secrecy about dynamite marks on the levees. That little tidbit fascinated me because living an hour away near Lafayette, I first heard of it word of mouth via family members two days after the storm lifted; like the worst game of Telephone ever. Generally it was about "the old man" [engineer] who was employed to work a pump station or something. They could easily put that in there.

Still need to see the final episode, but there's about a dozen insane stories re Katrina, from the roads being purposefully blocked by police to prevent escape, to the shitshow at the Astrodome, to the political insanity, to cops shooting half a dozen unarmed civilians on a bridge, to whites in the suburbs actively hunting blacks in their neighborhoods like its The Deadliest Game.

Katrina was insanity, through and through.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The last time Ryan Murphy set a season of an anthology show in New Orleans it gave us the worst season of American Horror Story.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Shageletic posted:

to the shitshow at the Astrodome

You meant Superdome right? Though I'm pretty sure there had been plenty of shitshows at the Astrodome over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Longbaugh01 posted:

You meant Superdome right? Though I'm pretty sure there had been plenty of shitshows at the Astrodome over the years.

No he means Astrodome. They opened it up to house evacuees and it ended up being a complete catastrophe. That building was on the verge of being condemned before the hurricane and they decided to use it anyway.

For brief reference: https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2005/09/hous-s07.html

• Locked thread