Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

illcendiary posted:

No he means Astrodome. They opened it up to house evacuees and it ended up being a complete catastrophe. That building was on the verge of being condemned before the hurricane and they decided to use it anyway.

For brief reference: https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2005/09/hous-s07.html

I wasn't aware of this, but chances are that he did still mean Superdome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I guess my DVR hosed up or something because I wasn't aware until I read the thread that there was an extra 30 minutes at the end of the finale. Crap. :(

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Surely your cable provider offers free on-demand for current episodes? And if they don't, if you're in the states you should presumably have access to FX's online streams?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Agent Escalus posted:

Surely your cable provider offers free on-demand for current episodes? And if they don't, if you're in the states you should presumably have access to FX's online streams?

I don't know about on-demand, but I'll try FXNow

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

If they want to recycle some of their 90s props and costumes, the 1996 Olympics bombing might make an interesting season.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 12, 2016

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

ninjahedgehog posted:

If they want to recycle some of their 90s props and costumes, the 1996 Olympics bombing might make an interesting season.

Oklahoma City bombing or Waco could work too, for continued 90s nostalgia.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Might as well combine those two into one series, which could fit over a regular-length TV season, since one directly lead to the other. Maybe Barry Pepper can be cast as McVeigh?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Waco would be much better than Katrina I think.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Can we get a following of the unibomber? Was he in the news enough? I really don't know much about him, but I want 10 hours of TV dedicated to him and his Montana lifestyle.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Agent Escalus posted:

Maybe Barry Pepper can be cast as McVeigh?

That would've been really good casting at one point, but he's in Kill The Messenger which came out in 2014/15 which I just watched, and he's looking quite a bit older.

All these "domestic terrorism" cases, or whatever they are like Waco, are great fodder for a miniseries/anthology, but I don't think the creators are gonna go near anything to do with terrorism. Hell, they've already said that if this next season is about Katrina that they are staying away from criticizing the government handling of it. (And if you know anything about Waco, or what lead up to it like Ruby Ridge, then that would be unavoidable.)

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 13, 2016

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ktik posted:

Can we get a following of the unibomber? Was he in the news enough? I really don't know much about him, but I want 10 hours of TV dedicated to him and his Montana lifestyle.

He's definitely an interesting guy. Ted Kaczynski got into Harvard when he was 16, where he was supposedly a subject of the CIA's MK Ultra experiments.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Finally watched it. I thought the 2016 GOP presidential primaries were a mess, but this show reminds me that the OJ case (which I was not old enough to appreciate at the time) was a bigger clusterfuck.

I knew Cochran's motives for defending OJ were complicated; and Courtney B. Vance deserves an Emmy.

(But I still laugh at Spooky Mormon Hell Dream...)

I didn't understand why everyone hated Ito. Now I know.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 13, 2016

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Echo Chamber posted:

I didn't understand why everyone hated Ito. Now I know.

Really? Like most of the other characters I was more sympathetic after the portrayal. What did you find unlikable about his portrayal here?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

timp posted:

Really? Like most of the other characters I was more sympathetic after the portrayal. What did you find unlikable about his portrayal here?
All I knew was "Everyone hated Ito". I was a kid who didn't understand any of it. Like 80% of the case is new to me. But no one liked Ito; that I remembered.

Now I see that he didn't have any control over the court.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

timp posted:

He's presented as both out of control of the situation and extremely self serving. He's more concerned with what the trial can do for him than with conducting it fairly.

He's not the worst though. I think aside from Robert Kardashian and Chris Darden pretty much everyone has some kind of self serving motive, even the more sympathetic characters like Marcia Clark.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

OrthoTrot posted:

He's presented as both out of control of the situation and extremely self serving. He's more concerned with what the trial can do for him than with conducting it fairly.

He's not the worst though. I think aside from Robert Kardashian and Chris Darden pretty much everyone has some kind of self serving motive, even the more sympathetic characters like Marcia Clark.

Also there's the issue of Ito speaking out in court in defense of his wife and her courageousness as a woman in a male dominated profession while he had been continuously sexist to Marcia Clark throughout the trial. That's her allegation, at least.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Ktik posted:

This would be very doable for a miniseries. It was his brother David and his wife who figured out it was him. That gives you a lot of TV material outside of a guy hanging out in a shack all the time and the standard police stuff. Contrasts with Kardashian holding out all the way for OJ.

Also fits in with our That 90s Show theme perfectly.

quote:

. David later hired Washington, D.C. attorney Tony Bisceglie to organize evidence acquired by Swanson and make contact with the FBI, given the likely difficulty in attracting the FBI's attention. He wanted to protect his brother from the danger of an FBI raid, such as the Ruby Ridge or the Waco Siege, since he assumed Ted would not take kindly to being contacted by the FBI and would likely react irrationally or violently.

The 90s are why we let whackos take over bird sanctuaries now instead of just going in and arresting them.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 13, 2016

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Ito's problem was that he allowed himself to be swept up in the media circus, and seemed to start to care about how he came across on TV. Not to mention how he seemed to side with the defence. It was particularly bad when OJ decided to not take the stand, and how instead of just saying Yes or No he allows OJ to rattle off a speech (As mentioned in that Bugliosi video, the speech was rehearsed weeks in advance) that makes him appear a lot more sympathetic.

Darden, Ito, Clark et al might be good people who had their own problems (And lord knows Clark got treated like poo poo) but they all made astoundingly stupid decisions throughout that trial.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Marcia Clark and the prosecution got a veritable hero's edit in this script, which I guess was to be expected given Sarah Paulson's history with Ryan Murphy shows. I lover her so I'm glad she keeps getting work. The biggest mistake of the season was casting Cuba as OJ. He was awful.

That was a depressing finale.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

DrVenkman posted:

Ito's problem was that he allowed himself to be swept up in the media circus, and seemed to start to care about how he came across on TV. Not to mention how he seemed to side with the defence. It was particularly bad when OJ decided to not take the stand, and how instead of just saying Yes or No he allows OJ to rattle off a speech (As mentioned in that Bugliosi video, the speech was rehearsed weeks in advance) that makes him appear a lot
Dunno about California at the time, but in general, testimony in the narrative is a thing. OJ's speech wasn't presented as being such, though. :shrug:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

TheCenturion posted:

Dunno about California at the time, but in general, testimony in the narrative is a thing. OJ's speech wasn't presented as being such, though. :shrug:

Dominick Dunne summed it up pretty well at the time:

quote:

In a dazzling display of showmanship and chutzpah, a carefully rehearsed O.J. Simpson rose to his feet to waive his right to testify and then electrified the courtroom with an unprecedented speech ... It was hard to know where to look in the shocked courtroom. Judge Ito, who would have cut off any other defendant in mid-sentence, merely stared, knowing he had been outfoxed. Marcia Clark fumed. To my left, Simpson’s daughter Arnelle sobbed.

Clark was vehemently against allowing OJ to speak, but Ito allowed it anyway. He does eventually cut him off, but it's way too late by then and he's done his performance for the cameras.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
First Ito joined in on making GBS threads on Clark about the haircut. That's when I started souring on him. Then he completely capitulated to the defense and let OJ make that loving speech. When he did that, I said out loud, "Really? gently caress YOU!"

I may have gotten too into this show, but it was because I just couldn't believe all this crazy poo poo really happened. I vaguely knew about it beforehand, but I was literally a toddler at the time so I have no memories of it. I really appreciated Vanity Fair's fact-checking articles after each episode.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
From my experience, the problem seemed to be that Ito let things get out of hand, he should have been on top of everyone and everything and not allow any funny business.

This trial was like, 99 percent funny business.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Bugliosi presents some pretty damning evidence that Ito screwed up a whole number of things. In particular he behaved petulantly towards Clark, who never challenged it, and he made a number of rulings that were damaging to the prosecution but had no basis at all in law.

The particular example Bugliosi gives is really weird. Simpson apparently shouted something that could have been interpreted as a confession when talking to a priest in jail. A Prison Officer nearby heard it and wrote a report. The defence argued this couldn't be admitted as evidence as the conversation was privileged. But this, as a point of law, is no argument if the privilege is considered to be waived. And Ito accepted that it had been waived as Simpson knew the Officer was within earshot. But he then disallowed the report anyway, despite the fact there is only one legal basis for doing so and he accepted it didn't apply.

Bugliosi presents Ito as either ignorant or uncaring of the actual law in question.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

TheBizzness posted:

If you like True Crime and haven't seen The Jinx you are doing yourself a huge disservice.

Watched The Jinx because of this post and wowsers. Glad you decided to mention it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

OrthoTrot posted:

The particular example Bugliosi gives is really weird. Simpson apparently shouted something that could have been interpreted as a confession when talking to a priest in jail. A Prison Officer nearby heard it and wrote a report. The defence argued this couldn't be admitted as evidence as the conversation was privileged. But this, as a point of law, is no argument if the privilege is considered to be waived. And Ito accepted that it had been waived as Simpson knew the Officer was within earshot. But he then disallowed the report anyway, despite the fact there is only one legal basis for doing so and he accepted it didn't apply.

The priest was his friend Rosey Grier: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/stuart-529204-simpson-heard.html

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Santheb posted:

Watched The Jinx because of this post and wowsers. Glad you decided to mention it.

The Jinx was crazy, and what an ending! You should google the guy and see what kind of shenanigans he got up to afterward.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

I think the point is that while he may have been seeing him as a friend the fact that he was a priest meant there conversation would normally be considered privileged in the same way a conversation with his lawyer would be. The only exception being if the conversation happened knowingly in earshot of others, in which case the privilege legally is considered to be waived. If Grier was just a normal friend the whole thing seems to be considered in a different manner legally, and presumably there would be no dispute that it was admissible as evidence.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

LordPants posted:

From my experience, the problem seemed to be that Ito let things get out of hand, he should have been on top of everyone and everything and not allow any funny business.

That's why I appreciated Darden's little meltdown late in the trial. Well acted by Sterling K. Brown too, you really felt his despair at how ridiculous everything had become by that point, and the anger he must have felt, knowing that they were getting run over.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

mdemone posted:

That's why I appreciated Darden's little meltdown late in the trial. Well acted by Sterling K. Brown too, you really felt his despair at how ridiculous everything had become by that point, and the anger he must have felt, knowing that they were getting run over.

This was Marcia Clark letting the anger and frustration get the better of her on the morning of the verdict. It seems she probably knew which way it was going to go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg8su9gCwDw

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LordPants posted:

Yeah. One of the things I remembered before watching this is that Ito was absolutely incompetent as hell.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

OrthoTrot posted:

Bugliosi presents some pretty damning evidence that Ito screwed up a whole number of things. In particular he behaved petulantly towards Clark, who never challenged it, and he made a number of rulings that were damaging to the prosecution but had no basis at all in law.

Bugliosi presents Ito as either ignorant or uncaring of the actual law in question.

Ito had every reason to let the fuhrman tape about planting evidence hit the record but didn't because he didn't want to seem biased.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

I wasn't aware of this, but chances are that he did still mean Superdome.

Yeah, I meant the Superdome. Goes to show how insanely terrible Katrina was, you mention a random word, and yeah it involved a few deaths.

EDIT: Thanks to the person who posted the Astrodome article. I remember reading about how bad things were in Houston during that time. New Orleans still is suffering from the massive depopulation of native New Orleans folk caused by the storm.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Panzeh posted:

Ito had every reason to let the fuhrman tape about planting evidence hit the record but didn't because he didn't want to seem biased.

Yeah, and that's like the only thing he did right.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Sand Monster posted:

This was Marcia Clark letting the anger and frustration get the better of her on the morning of the verdict. It seems she probably knew which way it was going to go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg8su9gCwDw

I was really hoping they were going to recreate this in the season finale.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

precision posted:

Yeah, and that's like the only thing he did right.

How a tape where a guy talks about planting evidence is irrelevant to a guy whose testimony is about handling and finding evidence is beyond me.

Instead it just goes back to 'this guy said an epithet once' type stuff.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I was really hoping they were going to recreate this in the season finale.

Me too, but I guess it would have clashed too much with how she had been portrayed in the show, as more collected and even a bit sheepish at times. Not to mention talking about the rape with Darden afterward, that was a surprise.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think I found a case as much of a clusterfuck as OJ:

quote:

The Janet Smith case. On July 26, 1924, the 22-year-old Scottish nursemaid was found dead of a gunshot wound to the temple in a home in an exclusive neighborhood of Vancouver, Canada. Although she was initially labeled a suicide (despite much evidence to the contrary), her friends were able to get the case reopened and deemed a murder. The initial suspect, Chinese houseboy Wong Foon Sing, was kidnapped and tortured for weeks in an unsuccessful attempt to extract a confession, causing a major scandal when it was discovered that various police officials and respected members of society were directly involved. Wong was eventually tried and acquitted for lack of evidence. A law was proposed, banning the employment of Orientals and white women in the same household, but failed to pass.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

computer parts posted:

I think I found a case as much of a clusterfuck as OJ:

I think that one would be disqualified for not being an American crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
So should Ito have recused himself when the Fuhrman tapes came up? From a layman's perspective it seems like a conflict of interest, especially if his wife didn't disclose anything about it.

• Locked thread