Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

JFairfax posted:

oh no paying your employees a fair wage makes products costs more. Who would have thought it?

Full communism now (but not if my shopping costs more).

My friend works at waitrose and lol. They treat their employees like poo poo and pay them same as sainsburys sorry.

My other mate has worked at John Lewis for 10 years and still gets paid less than I did at sainsburys. If you think the posh expensive supermarkets are expensive because they pay high wages I have some very bad news about capitalism for you...

Their whole thing seems to be having a "partnership" with employees that means basically nothing apart from not letting them in a union in return for a bonus that boosts their pay to the same levels as all supermarket staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

gabriel straub. good speaker but he's an ex-consultant heading an analytics team so a lot of his talk came off as "big data" faddishness.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Also the French cops are tearing down the "Calais Jungle" did they seriously just name it jungle because there are black people there? How did this lovely name catch on unless there are jaguars in there or something?
I can't see it being called that if the refugees were Danish.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Steve2911 posted:

The best is when they have to deliver something that could quite easily fit through the letter box, but instead decide to put it behind the bins AND go to the trouble of writing and posting a note. How does that save anyone any time?

The note is pre-written at a red light

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I believe they mean jungle as in "it's horrible and chaotic". Despite this they didn't try to alleviate the conditions. I guess it's what they deserve.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

nopantsjack posted:

Also the French cops are tearing down the "Calais Jungle" did they seriously just name it jungle because there are black people there? How did this lovely name catch on unless there are jaguars in there or something?
I can't see it being called that if the refugees were Danish.
I think it came from the same root as 'concrete jungle', implying a challenging, lawless, or unpleasant environment.

Now, whether that idiom came about from cities having black people is another question.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

shrike82 posted:

gabriel straub. good speaker but he's an ex-consultant heading an analytics team so a lot of his talk came off as "big data" faddishness.

At their size they should have enough data to construct good predictions for most people based on shopping habits. Big data is a dumb term but the results are pretty good

Target famously sent a teen girl a list of baby items and got flak from her father until he talked to his daughter and discovered she was pregnant

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

My god. Watching David Cockburn on daily politics cackling on the screen like the bastards child of Baron Greenback and Mr Creosote has put me off me dinner.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah, the Target anecdote is like the canonical Big Data story trotted out in every 101 class or conference for newbies.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

At their size they should have enough data to construct good predictions for most people based on shopping habits. Big data is a dumb term but the results are pretty good

Target famously sent a teen girl a list of baby items and got flak from her father until he talked to his daughter and discovered she was pregnant

Did they figure it out from some subtle change in her habits or is it just like every other rubbish recommendation engine "you bought a baby thing PLEASE BUY MORE BABY THINGS"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tempo 119 posted:

Did they figure it out from some subtle change in her habits or is it just like every other rubbish recommendation engine "you bought a baby thing PLEASE BUY MORE BABY THINGS"

Just searching for a bunch of baby stuff (as a pregnant girl might do) would presumably be enough, no need to buy stuff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Tory bullying scandal centring around Mark Clarke just went places again.

Booga
Aug 20, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

In other news, the Leicester Mercury has decided to do some Correct film reviews.

This should be the default review for all his movies, with the last line barely changing each time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guavanaut posted:

In other news, the Leicester Mercury has decided to do some Correct film reviews.

The real news is that Hotel Transylvania 2 is, as many predicted, a 'vampy sequel'.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Oh that's OK then, no one would ever bully someone they were in a relationship with

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

il_cornuto posted:

Oh that's OK then, no one would ever bully someone they were in a relationship with

The guy leading the charge against the bullies, Ben Howlett, is also openly gay and (unusually for a Tory) an enthusiastic gay-rights campaigner, so framing this whole thing as being about homophobia is probably going to work less well than it normally would.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

The guy leading the charge against the bullies, Ben Howlett, is also openly gay and (unusually for a Tory) an enthusiastic gay-rights campaigner, so framing this whole thing as being about homophobia is probably going to work less well than it normally would.

Isn't it accusing the boys parents of homophobia? Suggesting his suicide was less to do with the tories and more because of his parents not supporting his sexual orientation. I've not been following the story though so I don't know.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
That's how it reads to me. Deflect the blame on the parents. Typical political smear tactic.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Did grant schapps get kicked out of office over it? He used to be my local MP and actually pretty good at playing the game (he'd email you back and get involved with local stuff) so it's been fun watching the series of scandals hound him.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Serotonin posted:

That's how it reads to me. Deflect the blame on the parents. Typical political smear tactic.

Yeah, me too. '"It’s not my intention to go out and upset and offend people. But we’ve got to discuss this issue, we’ve got to discuss the issue of homophobia and we’ve got to discuss why people, even as close to him as me weren’t told about the mental health problems.'

I mean, if he was bullying the poor kid, this makes him even more of a Grade A turbodouchebag. And even if not, that's a 38 year old dating a 21 year old who works for him, isn't it? Which sounds squicky enough in itself because of the power differential.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Serotonin posted:

It can also be seen as a dog-whistle tactic, in that it says 'the boys parents were homophobic' to most people and 'he was gay, so of course he was bullied' to certain others.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Isn't it accusing the boys parents of homophobia? Suggesting his suicide was less to do with the tories and more because of his parents not supporting his sexual orientation. I've not been following the story though so I don't know.

I feel there's a double-element to it. He's accusing the kid's parents of homophobia for driving their son to suicide, and accusing his Tory pursuers of it for focusing on him rather than on that alternative explanation.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

ThomasPaine posted:

That's a lovely story and your sister's partner sounds like a prick but this poo poo belongs in E/N

Considering the derails that happen in this thread on a daily basis, I'd say his post fitted right in.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

shrike82 posted:

yeah, the Target anecdote is like the canonical Big Data story trotted out in every 101 class or conference for newbies.

it's that way for a reason, since you can get quite scarily accurate with enough information. it's pretty representative of where you can get with just basic correlated information.

you're in several hundred facebook experiments at any given time, same w/ google and friends.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Tempo 119 posted:

the story goes it was due to basic prediction based on what pregnant women would buy in the months leading to them buying baby goods

but in any case, the general point of collecting tracking information and sifting through it for ways to optimize product delivery is pretty sound

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

feedmegin posted:

How are Booths? That's basically Waitrose with a flat 'at and a whippet, after all.

Booths are actually posh. Waitrose is kind of middle class, Booths is upper middle class.
It's nice, but it's genuinely more expensive for not a lot of reason other than the people who shop there don't care how much stuff costs.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
So posh i've never heard of it.

edit: oh it's north of where I used to live. Which was the north. I didn't know there was more north.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 29, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I love how this Tory has said "oh no, I'm getting in poo poo for bullying a man to suicide, quickly, I'd better make it look like I bullied a gay man to suicide!"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

edit: oh it's north of where I used to live. Which was the north. I didn't know there was more north.

Dude, there's one in Manchester. Where are you that that's north of you and you're still in 'the north' - Normandy?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/29/brewdogs-open-source-revolution-is-at-the-vanguard-of-postcapitalism

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Parklife!

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Dude, there's one in Manchester. Where are you that that's north of you and you're still in 'the north' - Normandy?

North London

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

It's stopped being a paper and is now some sort of self parodying performance art constantly trying to outdo itself in how ridiculous it can become

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

I loving hate BrewDog. Never drank it but the whole 'equity for punks' aesthetic really puts me off. Wankers.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Dead Pony Club is pretty drat tasty though and whatever their classic blue one is I forget, haven't drank them since they got big though /beerhipster. Best part about living in Scotland is the brilliant beer. Council-run buses and an NHS with funding are also good.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I like Paul Mason even if every article he does is "Capitalism's dead any minute now, mates"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Regarde Aduck posted:

There's plenty of North that's north of all the Boothses. There's no North that's south of all the Boothses.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Paul Mason has made an entire career out of talking interminable bollocks about the End of Capitalism (Any Day Now) for.... decades? Can't stand the fucker.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

Paul Mason has made an entire career out of talking interminable bollocks about the End of Capitalism (Any Day Now) for.... decades? Can't stand the fucker.

Ah, I just appreciate his continued optimism in the face of the liquid poo poo sprayed on our face on a daily basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Markov-chain-Zizek title and BrewDog fellating aside, open information is economically interesting. Mostly in the form of things like the global village construction set, academic open access, and democratization of the means of production than hipster beers.

It's not going to free everyone from capitalism alone as long as things like land monopoly and rentier finance exist, but it does provide interesting solutions to some of the problems of bottom-up communalization.

• Locked thread