Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No waitrose near me and I've never been in a john lewis. Both seem pretty thin on the ground up north.

There's co-ops but I don't think they're hiring.

e: 1117 CE: Iceland abolishes slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

They don't have many choices of things in their stores. As in, you want product A, you have one or two options, rather than five or six like most bigger stores.

Which really is fine because the vast majority of consumer choice is an illusion and having more crap to sort through eats into time that would be better spent enjoying whatever it is you went out to buy.

Brighterday
Jun 25, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

So I was wondering - Churchill gets a lot of press as the 'greatest Briton', and we've discussed his (considerable) flaws thousands of times in the UKMT, but who would you lot put up for the title? Best ever British person?

George Washington

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Brighterday posted:

George Washington

during these conversations, I wonder what it's like to be French and have everyone respond "Msr. Talleyrand" unanimously

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I mean shakespeare was basically dutch when you think about it

unless you're dutch, they dont like to think about friisland

Booga
Aug 20, 2007

Hi thread, this is my first post here but I promise I'm not a Nazi.

I hate Aldi, but have a really weird and personal reason for boycotting them:

My sisters, long term partners, step-dad works in some top management position for Aldi (I think he acts as CEO on certain days?) and straight up bought a house for my sister, her partner and their children to live in when they were on the verge of being homeless.

About a month ago my sisters partner starts accusing my sister of cheating (this is false, she's too busy keeping the house clean and keeping him, her children and the dog fed and happy to have any social life) and whinges to his mum on the phone about it instead of talking to my sister (which he wont do because he's only been communicating through texts for weeks even though they're often in the same room and sleep in the same bed).

The next thing my sister knows is she's getting solicitors letters from her partners, step-dad lawyers telling her she has a month to get out of her home (the step-dad owns it), and his mum has flown over (she lives in loving Florida) to supervise the removal of all my sisters and her childrens belongings. My sister does this but has to endure being harassed while doing it with the most vilest shite possible from her partners mum.

My sister is now staying with mum and my nieces are coping much better than I thought they would given that one of them is autistic (they love their gran) apart from the fact they're both convinced daddy hates them. He hasn't even spoken to them on the phone since this happened. The dog isn't too great either, he's old and can't cope with the stairs up to my mums flat.

So yeah, I don't want to contribute this shitebags wages. Sorry everyone else at Aldi who wouldn't force a mum and her children onto the street.

Sorry if none of that is understandable, it's quite late and I don't have the spoons for proper punctuation or grammar :/

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Booga posted:

Hi thread, this is my first post here but I promise I'm not a Nazi.

I hate Aldi, but have a really weird and personal reason for boycotting them:

My sisters, long term partners, step-dad works in some top management position for Aldi (I think he acts as CEO on certain days?) and straight up bought a house for my sister, her partner and their children to live in when they were on the verge of being homeless.

About a month ago my sisters partner starts accusing my sister of cheating (this is false, she's too busy keeping the house clean and keeping him, her children and the dog fed and happy to have any social life) and whinges to his mum on the phone about it instead of talking to my sister (which he wont do because he's only been communicating through texts for weeks even though they're often in the same room and sleep in the same bed).

The next thing my sister knows is she's getting solicitors letters from her partners, step-dad lawyers telling her she has a month to get out of her home (the step-dad owns it), and his mum has flown over (she lives in loving Florida) to supervise the removal of all my sisters and her childrens belongings. My sister does this but has to endure being harassed while doing it with the most vilest shite possible from her partners mum.

My sister is now staying with mum and my nieces are coping much better than I thought they would given that one of them is autistic (they love their gran) apart from the fact they're both convinced daddy hates them. He hasn't even spoken to them on the phone since this happened. The dog isn't too great either, he's old and can't cope with the stairs up to my mums flat.

So yeah, I don't want to contribute this shitebags wages. Sorry everyone else at Aldi who wouldn't force a mum and her children onto the street.

Sorry if none of that is understandable, it's quite late and I don't have the spoons for proper punctuation or grammar :/

That's a lovely story and your sister's partner sounds like a prick but this poo poo belongs in E/N

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Ddraig posted:

Aneurin Bevan. Father of the NHS, possibly the single best thing this shithole of a country has ever produced.

As I said...

Anyway Aldi and Lidl are not weighed down by suburban megastores. Sainsbury's, Tesco, etc. gambled hard on investments like these, minimizing the use of skilled labour. Aldi and Lidl bet on the opposite - hence stuff like 1000-scanned-items-per-hour targets. To keep skilled, disciplined labour like this, you can't pay peanuts. Still, Aldi isn't going to be paying a substantive premium for the skills it does require, and in a better economy, it couldn't retain such people even if it paid incrementally more.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Tesseraction posted:

Sounds like the Aldi I know - staff have been there for many years, quite often, and for all I know will be there for years and years to come.

Could very well be different at the general store staff level. What I'm describing is how it is at the graduate scheme level.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Aldi must save a lot on looks as well. Sainsbury and Tesco stores are shiny musical Shopping Experiences while Aldi always looks like a food warehouse with ancient checkouts and Meccano shelving.

There's a cinema near me which operates on the same principle - the building is just a bunch of matte-black rooms compared to the chrome pizazz of an Odeon, but the screens still work and you can see a film for £2.50 instead of £10.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Sat for a seminar by the head of Tesco data analytics some time back. They do some fancy poo poo with analytics when it comes to both their online store as well as logistics for their b&m. Found it interesting that the guy mentioned viewing Amazon as their biggest threat these days especially given the firm's supply chain enabling them to do stuff like same day delivery better.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/black-mp-dawn-butler-reveals-7457460

quote:

A black MP today revealed how she suffered racism in parliament after a fellow MP thought she must have been a cleaner.

Labour’s Dawn Butler recalled the incident which took place in a Members'-only lift at the Palace of Westminster.

Asked on BBC Five Live’s Piennar’s Politics if she had ever experienced racism in parliament, the Brent Central MP replied: “Yes - God, there are so many incidents.

“There was a time when I was in the lift. It was a Members’ lift that Members of Parliament use specially in cases (where) we have get to places quickly.

“I was in the lift and some other MP said, ‘This lift really isn’t for cleaners’.”

She refused to name the MP.

In 2008, Ms Butler wrote an article describing how former Tory minister David Heathcote-Amory confronted her as she went to sit in the Members’ section on the terrace.

“He actually said to me, ‘What are you doing here? This is for Members only’,” she wrote.

​“​He then proceeded to ask me​, 'Are you a member?' And I said​, ‘Yes I am, are you?​‘​ And he turned around and said to his colleague, ‘They’re letting anybody in nowadays.’

“This man could not equate the image he saw in front of him with that of an MP. It was quite upsetting for my team and so we had to take it further.”

At first I thought this was going to be about my ex-MP but it turns out that this was a different time a Tory MP tried to kick somebody out the HoC lifts for not being a white man.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

That's a lovely story and your sister's partner sounds like a prick but this poo poo belongs in E/N

Oh be nice, it's a fair reason to boycott Aldi. They aren't asking for advice.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Paul.Power posted:

Just a shame there aren't any in Swansea. Like, if the closest Waitrose wasn't over half an hour away maybe I'd try them out :v:.

There's both a Sainsbury's and a Waitrose near me and the Waitrose is substantially more expensive. On a regular shopping trip I could up upto 1.5x more for the same shop at Waitrose.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Not sure I've ever been in a Watirose, the nearest one is about 80 miles away in Helensburgh.

I switched from doing all my shopping in Tesco to Aldi with Tesco for a top up of the things I couldn't get and the difference is about £30 a week. I think an interesting thing is that they've not alienated the people who wouldn't have been seen dead in a Kwiksave - they've sidestepped the snobbery that a lot of the other discount stores received.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

shrike82 posted:

Sat for a seminar by the head of Tesco data analytics some time back. They do some fancy poo poo with analytics when it comes to both their online store as well as logistics for their b&m. Found it interesting that the guy mentioned viewing Amazon as their biggest threat these days especially given the firm's supply chain enabling them to do stuff like same day delivery better.

Interesting. I sat through one about Ocado and I always viewed them as an easy takeover target for Amazon for prime now and prime fresh

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

If you pass by a waitrose on the way back from work, I recommend looking in - they heavily discount fresh bread stuff in the evening, like artisanal foccacias topped with smoked badger noses for 20p instead of £4.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

And Amazon literally just announces a partnership with Morrisons to sell their groceries thru Prime
Tesco and gang are hosed

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

OzyMandrill posted:

If you pass by a waitrose on the way back from work, I recommend looking in - they heavily discount fresh bread stuff in the evening, like artisanal foccacias topped with smoked badger noses for 20p instead of £4.

Seconded, the tramps buffet at a Waitrose shits all over the other supermarkets.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I won't hear a word against focaccia, the proliest of breads

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Miftan posted:

There's both a Sainsbury's and a Waitrose near me and the Waitrose is substantially more expensive. On a regular shopping trip I could up upto 1.5x more for the same shop at Waitrose.

oh no paying your employees a fair wage makes products costs more. Who would have thought it?

Full communism now (but not if my shopping costs more).

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

JFairfax posted:

oh no paying your employees a fair wage makes products costs more. Who would have thought it?

Full communism now (but not if my shopping costs more).

All I've ever heard of Waitrose until now was 'the fancy supermarket that costs more'.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

JFairfax posted:

It actually doesn't, not by that much anyway. Phoneposting so I can't look for it, but this point was thoroughly debunked back when American supermarket workers were pushing for a major raise.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Miftan posted:

All I've ever heard of Waitrose until now was 'the fancy supermarket that costs more'.

They're part of John Lewis so employees own the supermarket.

There's no waitrose near me but I do my monthly shop at Ocado. I find waitrose essentials are pretty cheap and definitely worth the money!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I like Waitrose for booj stuff and Lidl for the rest.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

shrike82 posted:

I'd be interested to know who this is - I know a few supply-chain/analytics guys from Tesco.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Miftan posted:

That's kinda appropriate but they do sell things other supermarkets won't. Also their curry sauces are really nice.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

No waitrose near me and I've never been in a john lewis. Both seem pretty thin on the ground up north.

There's co-ops but I don't think they're hiring.

e: 1117 CE: Iceland abolishes slavery.

How are Booths? That's basically Waitrose with a flat 'at and a whippet, after all.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

shrike82 posted:

Well, that makes a lot of sense, because the discounters can't challenge traditional super markets in all areas, because that would go against their business model. But if Amazon would fill this gap (a large assortment of higher quality food and non-food household items) it would become very feasible for the regular shopper to use a discounter for basic needs and top it off with items from Amazon, who can easily crush any super market when it comes to variety.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

feedmegin posted:

How are Booths? That's basically Waitrose with a flat 'at and a whippet, after all.

poo poo AFAIAC. £4 for a cheese and ham toastie.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Praseodymi posted:

poo poo AFAIAC. £4 for a cheese and ham toastie.

I meant in terms of how well they pay/treat their workers rather than the prices. Like I said, northern Waitrose.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I think an interesting thing is that they've not alienated the people who wouldn't have been seen dead in a Kwiksave - they've sidestepped the snobbery that a lot of the other discount stores received.
They still have in a way though, especially by not offering the sort of brands that a lot of people are conditioned to wanting.

feedmegin posted:

northern Waitrose.
Red or white?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Red or white?

Wikipedia strongly suggests red ;)

(funny how the same colours got used in 1918 :ussr:)

Booga
Aug 20, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Oh be nice, it's a fair reason to boycott Aldi. They aren't asking for advice.

To be fair I don't think they're wrong, I have literally no recollection of even posting that. I thought I'd gone straight to bed after a particularly exhausting day :psyduck:

Anyway, I'd also recommend Waitrose. I started using them after reading about their policies and I didn't find them that much more expensive than Tesco. They'll also hand you your shopping bag by bag if you get it delivered. As someone with limited mobility and energy, that is the single greatest selling point I can give them.

Tesco would just dump your shop in front of the door and tell you to hurry up, and I was told that Asda don't do stairs by their customer service after I ordered a full shop. The driver ran away without even seeing me and dumped it about twenty feet from the close.

Booga fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 29, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I have to say there's nothing more depressingly allegorical of the state of modern society as the regularly-observed fleeing delivery man.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In other news, the Leicester Mercury has decided to do some Correct film reviews.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So basically he's just rehashing Ali G?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tesseraction posted:

I have to say there's nothing more depressingly allegorical of the state of modern society as the regularly-observed fleeing delivery man.

The best is when they have to deliver something that could quite easily fit through the letter box, but instead decide to put it behind the bins AND go to the trouble of writing and posting a note. How does that save anyone any time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

tentish klown posted:

I'd be interested to know who this is - I know a few supply-chain/analytics guys from Tesco.

same. though i thought dunnhamby took over tesco's clubcard and they've tried to flog it off?

• Locked thread