Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Age UK have recieved almost £6.3 million in kickbacks from E.On after promoting a more expensive tariff to pensioners.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35488204

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Extreme0 posted:

I think people are just going to go to the protest on saturday regardless to send a message.

Is the message 'we're giving this man exactly what he wants by doing this'?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Extreme0 posted:

More like if he comes along he will get his dick kicked in so hard it turns into a vagina.

Or would you rather have no protests and just let him go around being an oval office towards women? Because that seems to be the message you're bringing across.

That's not what i'm saying at all. For someone so anti roosh you seem to have no problem at all with shoving things in my mouth.

The man wants attention, and by doing this its resulted in mass protest until hes been 'forced' to call off the trip, which much like his Australian adventure, he more than likely was never ever going on in the first place. All these counter protests will achieve is making his name more well known and give him exposure to the kind of people that would read his books and act on them. The most damage people could do to this twat is by ignoring him.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tesseraction posted:

I'm probably going to vote to Leave.

I am in favour of a united Europe, I just don't like what I see in the EU right now. Who knows, maybe the earthquake caused by us leaving would help it get its screws on tight...

Which would be nice for them, terrible for us.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So they're only allowed to spend a certain amount? I always figured they could spend whatever the gently caress they want.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35531436

This is an interesting story in so much that it seems the CPS were 'pressured' into bringing this to trial regardless of the fact it was clear this guy couldn't have done what was alleged and would never result in a conviction. Everyone that sees the cctv footage is baffled that they still took it to trial.

Then you have this one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-35472617

It just makes me shake my head. They decide they have enough evidence to give the driver penalty points and a fine, but not enough to bring it to court? Its a very odd system we have in this country where the chances of securing a prosecution seem to be determined by a coin flip.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

What the hell is wrong with you people, I drink maybe once a week, as in, a drink, once a week. Some weeks I forget.

It does explain a fair bit.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

you realise your insomnia is caused by your drinking right

A lot is starting to make sense now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

jabby posted:

The first one seems ridiculous, but CPS say they had enough evidence to bring it to court. At least the dude was found not guilty.

The second one, they couldn't prove who was driving so he was charged with the most serious offence available, which is failing to provide details of who was driving. What else could they do?

There was much less evidence for the first than there is for the 2nd. From the way the guy who was hit by the car tells it, the police were sure it was the man that was driving, but the CPS would not take it forward. I also find it absurd that failing to declare who was driving can essentially make you immune to prosecution for crimes like this. I imagine if the bike rider had been killed this wouldn't have stopped them bringing it to court, but I guess its too expensive if someones just badly injured instead of dead, which also makes the first story even more absurd. I'd be really interested to see the average cost of a prosecution for the CPS.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Niric posted:

As you said before it's unbelievable that the case went to trial at all- even slowed down the footage would hardly give much credence to the allegations. My gut reaction is that the fame of the actress probably played a role in this, putting additional pressure (whether explicit or not) on the police to push things forward to avoid potentially bad PR ("National Treasure sez rozzers weren't bothered").

This is what makes me rather angry. Theres loads of cases where the CPS have chosen not to prosecute where the evidence outweighs this incident by tonnes. Not to mention the amount of sexual assault cases CPS don't prosecute due to 'lack of evidence' as well.

I can't find anything that states who the 'well known actress' was and the footage is so blurry you can barely make out the accused never mind anyone else.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cerv posted:

Almost word for word the justification people used for naming Chad Evans' victim online. Not that I agree the cases are comparable but what good will come of endorsing that attitude to legal anonymity?

Just another example of the need for anonymity on both parts in cases like this don't you think? A cursory google of this guys name will bring up he was charged with sexual assault. Thats enough to put employers off for life.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Prince John posted:

Huh. As a staunch advocate of anonymity for both parties, I'd never considered the dangers were it to be taken to the other extreme. Very interesting perspective.

I'd never thought of it that way either. When you do put it like that, it really is a dangerous precedent.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TinTower posted:

Rapechat is the absolute worst.

Its a good thing we're not talking about it then isn't it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gonzo McFee posted:

AmeriCorbyn is doing well.

They'll all get smashed by Trump, which the thought of him as President is simultaneously hilarious and horrifying.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

they'll both get knifed in the back by the party they're running for and it'll be a massive shitshow

The republican party has been trying to do that to Trump since he started running and all its done is made him stronger.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If the reaction of people on those german trains is anything to go by, the modern reaction to tragedy is to whip your phone out and record it before even checking anyone else is alive.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Namtab posted:

Holy poo poo a year in and they get a progression that I need a promotion to obtain :qq:

I hope the doctors continue fighting the contract, not least because I'm pretty sure the nurse contract comes up for renewal this year.

One of the reasons my nurse friends are so behind the doctors is that they'll want their help when they're getting hosed by Hunt too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Namtab posted:

It's poo poo, it's dangerous, the 7 day nhs mostly exists.

Ultimately I expect there'd be even more public support if the nurses ever took strike action because there's a misconception, even among some of my nursing colleagues, that doctors all earn tons to begin with.

Nurses, like teachers and soldiers, are a tory voters darling. If Hunt manages to get the nurses striking it will have an impact.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Romesh is an acquired taste, but he is very good at aggravating people into embarrassing themselves.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Question time is about 5 minutes from me in two weeks.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This tory is getting an absolute shoeing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Prince John posted:

I was thinking he was doing quite well, considering. A couple of weeks ago, the Tory minister was being booed by the audience.

Everybody, even doctors, seem to have bought into the weekend deaths myth now, even though the study was not considering weekends in isolation. :grrr:

Hes got answers but they're all utterly meaningless. I was reading that this guy is thought of as one of the next Tory leaders, which explains his dedication to empty soundbite rhetoric.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Jeremy Hunt is a big baby coward man.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-hunt-drinks-canapes-fareham-conservatives-junior-doctors-tories-cancelled-a6869151.html

This should be the new strategy to deal with tories. Threaten to turn up and ask questions. They cannae hack it when they aren't talking to chummy journalists.

Someone post the video of him running away from the doctor again.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Hunt seems to do it a lot though. Remember when he hid behind some trees to avoid the press?

Didn't he avoid ministers questions for a couple of months with increasingly vague and stupid excuses?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Theres a lot of whats wrong with student left politics right here in this thread. Look straight away as anything negative is construed as an attack or a threat. Things are gladly misinterpreted for the worst possible outcome just to fit the narrative that's wanted and outright lies are published as truth.

That's what is so hilarious about that link. That one of the greatest gay rights campaigners the UK has seen has been labeled as someone who incites trans phobic violence with utterly no evidence, and when the person who made those claims is called to account for them, they run and hide.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Actually the real problem with the left is we're all chewing our knuckles over this and not talking about the fact 260,000 people have signed the petition to get a motion of no confidence in Jeremy Hunt debated in parliament.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Twitter.txt.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

tentish klown posted:

She's a costume designer - that's why it's funny. It wasn't tasteless and he obviously said it with affection. Twitter people are twats.

But they'll get really offended on her behalf, regardless of what she actually thinks of the situation.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fans posted:

I don't get how Cameron isn't grilled about this. Someone with IDS and Jeremy Hunt in his cabinet and he just acts like they're not even there and the press seems to be more or less okay with just letting him ignore it.

You'd think it would get at least a mention at PMQ's. You can't really spin 300,000 people thinking your cabinet minister is so poo poo he needs a vote of no confidence.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Does anyone use the Peoples Press Association or just the main two?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TinTower posted:

So it turns out Fran Cowling wasn't out to her parents and Tatchell's effectively outed her by going to the press over what was a matter in private correspondence.

Time was that the only people Tatchell was outing were self-hating homophobes. :smith:

I'm sorry, but how has he 'outed' her?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TinTower posted:

Just because she's out in general doesn't mean that she's out to her parents. All her parents probably know is that she works for the NUS in "student engagement".

And yes, she's publicly out on her Twitter account. But let's be honest, most of our parents can't use the Sky box, let alone Twitter.

I cannot believe this post.

Thundercloud posted:

In the Guardian.

Where?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TinTower posted:

Her parents didn't know she was gay; now they do, but not because she herself told them.

That's the literal definition of outing.

Can you please describe the steps that Peter Thatchell took to do this?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TinTower posted:

How do you think the Guardian got copies of those emails?

Considering the e-mails were sent from Fran Cowling to the organisers, perhaps via that source? None of the e-mails referenced are directed at Thatchell, they're all at the debate organiser explaining she won't take part unless he isn't there because she thinks hes transphobic and a bigot.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TinTower posted:

So because he's done a lot for The Cause there's no way he can't now damage The Cause by being an absolute oval office.

Good argument there.

He hasn't done anything to damage 'the cause' except signing an open letter that say's no platforming is a terrible idea because it raises a generation of coddled babies who can't stand to hear anything they don't like and when confronted with this react with anger, intimidation tactics and outright lies.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TinTower posted:

I can tell you that for a categorical fact the NUS LGBT Campaign does not have a No Platform policy against Peter Tatchell.

When somebody refused an event invite because she thought his recent actions contributed to putting vulnerable LGBT students at risk, he threw his toys out of the pram and he outed her.

No he didn't. You're really, really, really reaching here.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Which part of TinTower's post are you disputing? The fact that Tatchell went to the press?

That he 'outed her' to her parents. It's utterly ludicrous to claim that.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Why? If her parents didn't know she was out, and Tatchell going to the press made them aware of it, what part of that isn't him outing her?

Can you point out anywhere that Thatchell said she was not heterosexual? Literally all the newspapers said was her NUS office title. Public knowledge already.

TinTower posted:

I'm glad that you know Fran or her parents well enough to be able to state that for a fact.

I'm glad you know Thatchell well enough to know he was a scheming evil bastard whos entire intention was to 'out' someone who held a public office for LGBT students while being openly 'out' on their social media profiles. That is a perfect logical conclusion.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

But, and this is the important part, not to her parents. There may have been very good reasons that she wasn't out to get parents, she may well not even have told them what office she filled at the NUS. Tatchell didn't know any of that, he just went to the press apparently without thinking about any consequences for the woman.

So you're arguing that you can never ever state that someone who is publicly 'out' in every sense you can see, that being Social media, public roles etc, is gay just in case someone in their life doesn't know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I'm saying that when it's something as deeply personal as someone's sexuality, and you have no knowledge of their personal/family life, and you have decades of experience dealing with these issues, you should be very, very, loving careful.

And not take private correspondence to the press because you got your feelings hurt.

I think if you use your public office to make accusations and run away with your fingers in your ears when asked for proof or indeed, a retraction when no proof is offered you should expect some public response. And yes, even though this was private correspondence to the organisers, this wasn't an e-mail from Fran Cowling, standard person on the street. This was an e-mail from Fran Cowling, NUS Officer for LGBT rights.

• Locked thread