Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i hope february sucks slightly less than january

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Yeah, January is the cruelest month.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Yeah, it's a question of whether they will stop the government from doing good things or bad things and at the moment and for the foreseeable future it's probably mostly the latter.

Also the same as with trade, the reality is they are our neighbours and we will have to deal with them anyway as they flirt with racism and fascism so we might as well try and influence it from the inside, for now at least.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
:eyepop:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i prefer their early work

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Guavanaut posted:

They're stunned by inert gas, usually argon, but they're still killed by a big rotating or oscillating blade.
The stunning is permitted by halal as long as it's still the blade that kills them, so any that do die during the stunning have to be sold as non-halal.
I'm surprised they use argon, I would have thought nitrogen would be cheaper and would do a pretty good job. I guess it isn't as dense which might be a factor.

Inert gas asphyxiation is the way forward for everything imho

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Has there been any undertaking regarding extradition by either the Swedes or the Americans?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol they are going to kill the nhs

gg uk

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol apparently "organic" salt just doesn't have iodine or anticaking agents

good luck with ur giant clumps of salt and thyroid cancer in the nuclear wastleand, hippies

Tesseraction posted:

Yes, but sodium chloride is half organic (Chlorine) and half inorganic (Sodium). I suppose what I meant was that the cations are provided by metals and the anions by non-metals, as opposed to organic/inorganic which refers to the chemistry of those relative metal classifications.
You can actually get organic cations, eg methylammonium ([MeNH3]+), although there aren't (many) metal anions because their whole thing is not liking electrons.

XMNN fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 4, 2016

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Halogens do pop up all over the place in organic chemistry, but then so do metals.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
tbf its a p good question, it is ionically bonded and conceptually sodium chloride is fairly similar to sodium acetate except one has a much bigger and more complex anion (and different crystal structures etc obv

the answer is that chemistry is mostly held together by spit and convention and that goes doubly for the distinction between physical, organic and inorganic chemistry

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OwlFancier posted:

Personally I like biology because you can settle arguments like this by flicking bits of kidney at people until they stop arguing.
youre not allowed to do this in chemistry labs because youll set people on fire

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Tesseraction posted:

my favourite thing in lessons was when someone hosed up their reflux reaction and created a towering inferno
tbf I only saw one fire during my degree, they managed to set their funnel on fire doing a hot filtration and just started panicking

then the crazy german guy who does the explosive air sensitive chemistry came over, calmly blew it out and gave them a really withering stare

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Tesseraction posted:

ah, unlucky, I saw about five during my A2, including one where it bubbled out, over the bunsen burner and then created a burning puddle that worked its way to the floor
oh I saw lots of chemical mishaps just not a load of fires

one time the guy next to me was adding water to quench a reaction, he started loving around with the seal on the dropping funnel while opening it at the same time and the front of his fume hood was suddenly completely splattered with grey goop, it was hilarious (not for him)

OwlFancier posted:

No I did AQA. The most interesting thing I did was make artificial banana flavour. Benzene was covered but we weren't allowed it in the college because it's incredibly carcinogenic.
We weren't allowed anywhere near it in the final year of our chemistry degree, they really don't like it.

e: Nah, it was a guy called Portius, who is also very German looking I think there are loads of crazy German chemists working with high energy compounds, all the scary nitrogenated compounds in the FOOF thread seem to come from there

XMNN fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 5, 2016

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

big scary monsters posted:

If you work in a biology lab then they take lots of precautions about cross contamination and not allowing pathogens to escape and what not, but at the same time they have super dangerous chemicals just sitting out there on benches in the open where undergrads can stick their fingers in for a taste. It's pretty weird.
if you didnt let people taste weird chemicals we wouldnt have saccharin or aspartame so maybe its for the best

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OwlFancier posted:

Not sure cyclohexane is much more comforting imo.
Cyclohexane is not too bad it's just another alkane really, the real problem with benzene is it's very flat so it slips in nice and smooth between the base pairs in your DNA and fucks their day up

e: fun fact, petrol is around 3-5% benzene, you're breathing it in every time you fill up your car

fun fact 2 I almost didn't do chemistry at university because I really struggled to draw neat hexagons and there are a lot of them

XMNN fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 5, 2016

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I love chemistry because it covers literally everything from stars to the functioning of cells and, unless you're sat in the woods right now, pretty much everything you can see not only relies on chemistry to exist but almost certainly involved multiple chemists in its production.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
also organometallic chemistry is clearly the best chemistry

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
molecules are going to do their thing whether there's a physicist or a mathematician hanging around or not but good luck getting them to work together to make a 1000 litres of paint without a chemist :smugdog:

e i like chemical engineers too

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Tesseraction posted:

The only time STEM stop their pathetic little slap fights with each other is to smug endlessly at humanities. Take comfort that it's all derived from jealousy.
i was jealous that the politics students only had 6 hours of lectures a week and spent all their free time doing drugs until i realised there was nothing stopping me from doing that

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
that question is ambiguous it doesnt say whether the kid is white or a terrorist

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OwlFancier posted:

Excellent scientific journalism The Mail, keep it up: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...nar-flight.html

look closely at the rocket comparison diagram

lmao

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Cameron isn't going to allow one side of the debate to monopolise the stoking of Little Englanders' paranoia and racism to get what you want.

Britain 'faces influx of 50,000 asylum seekers' if it leaves the European Union posted:

If Britain leaves the EU, France will stop allowing UK officials to make checks in Calais, David Cameron says

Thousands of asylum seekers could camp on British soil if the UK quits the European Union, Downing Street has warned.

David Cameron is to warn that a Brexit would lead to camps of illegal immigrants in the UK because France could stop allowing UK officials to make their immigration checks on the French side of the border.

Raising the prospect of the Calais Jungle moving to the South East, a spokesman for the Prime Minister said: "It's our position that we have a positive and strong working relationship with the French at the moment, but clearly the point that is being made here is that should we leave the EU then some of these other arrangements that we may have with other countries, for example the juxtaposed controls we have with France, could be called into question.

"The point here is that if that's called into question and those controls cease to exist, then you have potentially thousands of asylum seekers camped out in Northern France who could be here almost over night. "

Under the 2003 Le Touquet treaty between the UK and France, Britain is allowed to conduct border controls at French rather than UK borders – meaning it checks for migrants stowing away on lorries or trains bound for Britain in Calais, not Dover.

Britain will face an influx of more than 50,000 asylum seekers a year if it leaves the EU, the former head of the UK Border Agency has also suggested.

Rob Whiteman, former chief executive of the UKBA, warned: "The bilateral treaty takes a lot of work on the French side to maintain and I think it is almost certain that if we did leave the EU the treaty would come to an end. It is not a foregone conclusion but I think it is fair for the Prime Minister to claim that the French would almost certainly bring it to an end.

"There's been lots of up-sides for the UK since the treaty was negotiated in 2003, not much up-side for the French. The reason we wanted the treaty is that if you are found in a concealed vehicle, you're a clandestine, once you've set foot on British soil you can claim asylum whereas if you are found concealed in a vehicle on French soil you can't claim asylum for Britain so before that treaty was put in place, asylum claims were running at 80,000 a year in the UK. They are now running at about 30,000 a year. So we would probably see another 50,000 asylum claims a year.

"At the time the French felt there would be an upside for them in that if it was clear that people couldn't easily get to Britain it would stop the Sangatte building up again but history has shown that not to be the case. The French authorities still have a huge amount of pressure on their side and now 'The Jungle' as it is known, has developed."

The Prime Minister is to argue that a Brexit would also leave Britain vulnerable to terror attacks and that migrant camps will spring up across the South East of England.

Mr Cameron will make national security issues the centrepiece of his campaign to keep Britain in the European Union.

It is understood he will set out the argument in the days and weeks after he calls the date of the referendum, which is expected to be set later this month.

Alongside Theresa May, the Home Secretary who has now indicated that she will join the "Remain" campaign, Mr Cameron will warn that being part of the EU allows Britain to share crucial information that could prevent a Paris-style attack on the streets of Britain.

Crucially, Downing Street hopes to use the migration crisis on the continent to its advantage by warning that a Brexit would lead to camps of illegal immigrants in the UK.

Mr Cameron will warn that if Britain leaves the EU, France will stop allowing UK officials to make the checks.

"The French would love to pull out of the arrangement," a senior source said. "We will be telling people - look, if we leave the EU the Jungle camp in Calais will move to Folkestone. That is not something people want."

The Prime Minister has been accused of scaremongering by euroscpetics who are highly critical of the deal he has done with Brussels.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
kent will no longer exist it will have been stripped bare by swarms of culturally incompatible locusts foreigners

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think it just throws that up under any search that looks like a person's name.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Fans posted:

I can't see how the Conservatives get re-elected if they actually kill the NHS. You could set fire to the queen and at least some people would be cheering.
I'm pretty pessimistic, it's been obvious they've been not-so-slowly murdering the NHS for years and they still won the election. Unless they pass the Total Immediate Scrappage of the NHS Act (2016), I think it's entirely plausible that a lot of people simply won't make the infinitesimally short hop to blaming its collapse on the people in charge of running it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
alcoholism is for chumps 420 smoke weed every day

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Presumably it would be illegal to post it anyway, if you did know?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I got a job at a subsidiary of a swiss company, how much money do I need to go live with the gnomes in zurich?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i thought twitter was for old people now, like facebook

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

In November 2014, Leicester City Council passed a policy to boycott goods produced in Israeli settlements in the West Bank. Jewish groups have recently launched a judicial review of the council’s decision, claiming that it “amounts to a get-of-out-town order to Leicester Jews”.
lmao

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
History's greatest monster strikes again.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
tbf the yba sucked and im glad theyre all dead now

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/feb/14/junior-doctors-jeremy-hunt-conservatives-event-fareham

Tory activists prevent doctors from attending event with Jeremy Hunt posted:

Doctors who had paid £15 to meet health secretary in Fareham were told reception was cancelled, but it went ahead elsewhere

A meeting of Jeremy Hunt, Conservative activists and junior doctors was never likely to feature cordial conversation over drinks and canapés, scheduled as it was during the fiercest NHS pay and conditions dispute in years.

But when an event on Friday at a hotel in Fareham, Hampshire, was said by local Tories to have been called off, what might have been an uncomfortable couple of hours for the health secretary caused yet more anger.

Doctors who had paid £15 for the pleasure of seeing Hunt later found out that the event had quietly been moved to another location, with those in attendance being checked to ensure that they had no medics in tow.

Kathryn Carey-Jones wrote on Facebook: “ I could have accepted being told I am not allowed to attend given recent events, but I was lied to, to keep me away ... This is dishonesty at its best and would not be accepted from a doctor to a politician. If this is the way the local Conservatives treat their local doctors, what can we expect from the rest? Imagine if we lied to the public like this ...”

GP Emma Nash told Portsmouth News that a friend she was going with, who is a Conservative party member, was refused access to the venue until she convinced organisers that there were no doctors with her.

“I feel really disappointed. There is a lack of respect for me, as a professional, to be told as a medic I’m not allowed to go somewhere where my own secretary of state is going to be,” Nash said.

“If they had said ‘no doctors’, then fine. But to tell us it was cancelled and go and have it at Fareham college is deceitful.

“How are we supposed to have any kind of faith in somebody who deliberately manipulates their way out of seeing us?”

Thomas Fyfe, the chairman of Fareham Conservative Association, was quoted by local media as saying: “Because of the very real threat of disturbance from groups circulating details of our planned reception with Jeremy Hunt, the advertised event was cancelled on security grounds.

“A small party event for party members to meet Mr Hunt was held instead at another location. We regret the inconvenience caused to those who had bought tickets and were unable to attend, all of whom will be offered a full refund.”

Hunt announced last week that the government would impose a new contract on junior doctors that he says is needed to ensure a seven-day NHS. However, the Guardian has established that 152 foundation trusts have the power to come to their own local deals with doctors.
wat a slimy piece of poo poo

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Tesseraction posted:

Well yes, but it's a bit weaker now, innit?
In an ideal world this would matter even a tiny amount, but it's not like the media is going to go for the throat.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
jfc student politics got dull over the last 6 years call me when stuff starts getting smashed again

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i dont like the thing she does with her eyebrows

its creepy, to me

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
spin it as an attack on the bureaucratic waste in the dwp

then gut the dwp

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Wait, the Express is considered to be middle-market ie not tabloid dreck??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
dark

lol

• Locked thread