Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Fans posted:

Because you cannot be asked to work more than 48 hours, nor punished if you refuse to opt out of it.

If they get rid of it, you could be asked to work a 60 hour week and punished if you don't turn up. It's there to stop employers forcing their employees to work ridiculously long hours.

You can refuse to hire someone if they don't opt out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I once went to an employment agency (not one of the big ones, some local two-bit outfit) where they produced the opt-out for me to sign claiming it was just a bit of admin, when I asked them to explain it they said that if I didn't sign it then no employer would be interested in hiring me, with not very subtle hints that they wouldn't bother putting me forward for anything as it would be a waste of their time.

I laughed, loudly, and left.

you also have the right to opt back in w/ at most 3 months notice so you can always sign it then once you have the job opt back in

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Niric posted:

Huh, I'd never really considered the idea of government departments having directorships before. Just out of curiosity, I had a look at the non-executive directors for the Department of Culture, Media & Sport, to see the kind of dynamic individuals drafted in from the private sector, people with a passion for the expression of human experience, whose wide-ranging skills and backgrounds will inform a nuanced understanding of 21st century British identity and the contemporary cultural and sporting landscape:

Non-executive directors
Ajay Chowdhury

Not actually a bad start, all things considered. He ran an "online ticketing marketplace," which seems relevant to the commercial aspects of culture and sport, and "broadband delivery" comes under the remit of DCMS, so the tech angle is potentially useful. He did also study drama and, uh, sat on the board of a computer games company, so seems a solid-ish pick.

Neil Mendoza

Ok, so he was a banker with JP Morgan and chairman of "an investment advisory firm", but moving into film finance clearly suggests he's left the world of tax-avoidance and dodgy deals.

That "pioneering publishing company" sounds interesting, I wonder what kind of visionary poetry, prose or drama they've been responsible for disseminating, what kind of innovative and boundary-pushing work they've nurtured and mid-wifed into the world?

Oh.

Hang on though, they were sold to WPP. Maybe it's a classic case of a radical small publisher being swallowed up and losing its sou-

Oh.

But at least he's chairman of an arts charity and vice-chairman of a theatre, so he probably at least likes culture.

Sir David Verey

Another investment banker. Huh. To be fair, he was on the board of a variety of big name arts/media institutions like the Tate, Pearson plc (massive publisher of educational material and, until very recently, the FT) and the Daily Mail. To be unfair, his euphemistic purpose is to "strengthen commercial expertise" and he was on the board of the Daily Mail.

Fields Wicker-Miurin OBE

That's literally all it says. Fortunately, the friendly bankers at BNP Paribas have a bit more information:

So yet another investment banker.

And one non-executive director, because it seems informative:
Director - Media, International, Gambling and Creative Economy
Hugh Harris

Who would've guessed the investment banking industry had so much to teach us about culture, media and sport?

preparing for a spinoff

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

I've got an American passport kicking around somewhere, so if I can't find love by the time I'm 35 or whatever I'll just start pimping out my multiple nationalities.

hope you've been filing those tax returns!

also, uhh you had better have reported any accounts w/ over $10k to the Treasury Department

And have informed any banks that you are a US person under FATCA IGAs

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

lol as if I'd have an account with over 10k, hoho whit are ye like.

have fun deciphering this lol: https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Comparison-of-Form-8938-and-FBAR-Requirements

Don't gently caress around w/ it they have no qualms with hitting you with that non-willful filing fee.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

TinTower posted:

Auditory disorders too; loud clapping can be extremely painful for people with those.

is this really a thing, and do said people exist

fake e:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

is the 7 day thing about emergency services or gp appointments? cause idgi it's not that hard to get either on sundays, G*d's day of rest.

in fact I want a 7 day supermarket week, that'd be more useful to campaign for.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

im mad because i have to pay 2x as much at the corner shop to buy some bread when it's 7pm on sunday and i want to sandwich things

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

re: uk citizenship stripping

the UK is interestingly a party to the convention on the reduction of statelessness which means that it can't (lol) strip citizenship so as to make someone stateless

however that's a pretty broad thing, because the home office will consider the ability acquire another citizenship, no matter how tenuous, not equivalent to statelessness (including weird things like overseas citizenship of india, which is explicitly not citizenship for nationality concerns but is counted as far as not making you stateless)

and it doesn't matter if you were born british to british parents; if it would result in eligibility for an alternative citizenship, it's fair game

it's a very troubling thing to be honest. In comparison, the US cannot strip citizenship from natural-born citizens, but can do it for naturalized ones usually by claiming they lied on the process (e.g. nazi guards)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Miftan posted:

So what you're telling me is that the UK government can strip any Jewish British person, no matter where they were born, raised, etc., of their citizenship at any time? Because that's hilarious.

that is my understanding of it, based on https://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn06820.pdf and the Immigration Act (2014)

as long as it is "conducive to the public good" (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2014/22/section/66)

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 26, 2016

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

shrike82 posted:

Sat for a seminar by the head of Tesco data analytics some time back. They do some fancy poo poo with analytics when it comes to both their online store as well as logistics for their b&m. Found it interesting that the guy mentioned viewing Amazon as their biggest threat these days especially given the firm's supply chain enabling them to do stuff like same day delivery better.

Interesting. I sat through one about Ocado and I always viewed them as an easy takeover target for Amazon for prime now and prime fresh

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

tentish klown posted:

I'd be interested to know who this is - I know a few supply-chain/analytics guys from Tesco.

same. though i thought dunnhamby took over tesco's clubcard and they've tried to flog it off?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

shrike82 posted:

gabriel straub. good speaker but he's an ex-consultant heading an analytics team so a lot of his talk came off as "big data" faddishness.

At their size they should have enough data to construct good predictions for most people based on shopping habits. Big data is a dumb term but the results are pretty good

Target famously sent a teen girl a list of baby items and got flak from her father until he talked to his daughter and discovered she was pregnant

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

shrike82 posted:

yeah, the Target anecdote is like the canonical Big Data story trotted out in every 101 class or conference for newbies.

it's that way for a reason, since you can get quite scarily accurate with enough information. it's pretty representative of where you can get with just basic correlated information.

you're in several hundred facebook experiments at any given time, same w/ google and friends.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Tempo 119 posted:

Did they figure it out from some subtle change in her habits or is it just like every other rubbish recommendation engine "you bought a baby thing PLEASE BUY MORE BABY THINGS"

the story goes it was due to basic prediction based on what pregnant women would buy in the months leading to them buying baby goods

but in any case, the general point of collecting tracking information and sifting through it for ways to optimize product delivery is pretty sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I don't know what Brewdog is.

shameful

• Locked thread