Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
But in this case there's no he said she said, they both (all) agree on what happened just not about whether the events constitute a crime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

My sister briefly worked in chemical disposal and one her interesting stories is one of the dudes who clearly didn't know his chemistry decided to save space by combining two tankers full of liquid together.

The resulting solution just so happened to eat metal, bursting forth and covering the whole disposal yard in a horrific corrosive sea.

They were neutralising it for weeks.

That seems a terrible idea in pretty much every context. I wouldn't save space in my cupboards by combining the orange squash and the blackcurrant. Or I would save space but also render the two unusable.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Isn't that just vimto?

yes and I hate vimto *angry face*

(actually I don't know, but it wouldn't be orange juice and blackcurrant juice which is what I would have wanted when I bought them)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I have a BA in Social Sciences (2:1) and halfway through Bsc Mathematics and enjoy doing the maths a lot more but the social sciences education has more of an impact on my day to day life. I don't think either are going to be particularly useful when I end up working in Tesco or my dream job of school admin.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

TACD posted:

Wow, I'd not read this before but it rings very true. I distinctly remember the point at school when our good maths teacher (who took the time to make things interesting) left and was replaced by a miserable woman who literally told us to open to a page and do the problems while she tore up old exam papers. I gave up on maths (and later, physics) when the entire subject turned into learning the correct procedure for laying out sums.

I've always felt that a lack of a solid mathematical background is a major academic weakness for me - I've been looking at Khan Academy to do some catching up, are there any other good resources I should know about? (I'd like to get familiar with calculus in particular).

E:
This, and your answer to the question you posted above, has been noted in your permanent record.

I thought this was an interesting article about mathematics learning https://nrich.maths.org/content/id/9071/TrainSpottersParadise.pdf

Khan Academy is great, I've been watching videos about divergence this afternoon and I find them to be a lot more helpful than the course materials I have. Saying that the Open University does have a number of free courses through Openlearn which might be worth looking at.

http://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-..._filter_options

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

TACD posted:

I don't know if I've even heard of the sin double angle formula :(

This is where that article really resonated with me - I remember trig as being a boring slog of trying to remember the relationship between sin, cos and tan through some rhyme I always got confused, and never really having an idea of what any of them meant besides something to do with circles and triangles. It's a bit daunting when I look at all the stuff I need to learn before I can get to grips with the stuff I actually want to know.

Trigonometric identities are a nightmare when you're learning - there's a bajillion of them and you'll be reading something where it'll be going along nicely then just randomly mention one as if it is common knowledge.

If you want I could send you the books from the OU modules I've done already. The beginner one is really nice if you've not done maths for a while but vaguely remember the basics - easy enough to give you confidence but challenging enough to make you feel like you're learning.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

trig stuff

I understand why it is important and how they can make everything easier/neater, but when you're learning it can be a bit overwhelming before you get to the stage where you can immediately recognise when one should be used. Like learning a language and the stage where you have to translate each word into English to understand compared to being fluent.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

I meant to say then forgot - might be good to add this to the OP for anyone who wants to donate in memory of Fluo.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Angepain posted:

okay who's the World's Biggest Goon that put some impenetrable reference to "fail AIDS" on a memorial page visible by the guy's family, jesus christ

Some goon called Enjoy I guess, he posted the same thing in the old UKMT.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758308&pagenumber=173&perpage=40#post455667610 (last post on the page if I've hosed up the link).

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Niric posted:

I'm actually rather surprised at the number of people here who don't/very rarely drink, but that might say more about my social circle than anything!

I'm not teetotal but I only drink maybe four or five times a year and then it's a couple of glasses of wine or ciders tops. Lat time I drank it was when we went out for dinner for my birthday and I felt completely pissed after one glass of wine. My husband is a pretty heavy drinker and I've stressed out about it before (do I try and get him to cut down or am I stressing about nothing? How do I get him to cut down without being a nagging shrew?) but even when he was drinking what I thought was too much it wasn't as much as the numbers in the thread. It's funny how much your normality distorts your perception.

Edit: And drinking is so ingrained in the culture here. Someone fixes your laptop? Give them a bottle of whisky. Someone finds your dead cat and lets you know? give them a bottle of whisky. Help someone move house? Give them a bottle of whisky.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 10, 2016

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

Is Star Wars Girl the one who couldn't deal with her basic finances and day to day stuff because she kept buying Star Wars action figures?

Yeah. Terrible at budgeting but also an ego the size of a very large thing. She was pregnant, goons kept telling her to stop eating deli meat or she was ricking stuff like early labour and the baby getting some horrible infection, she kept eating deli meat because I don't really know - she really liked it and goons are stupid? - then had the baby 6 weeks early and last post he had some infection that was possibly meningitis. It was all a bit odd. Also her husband was obsessed with Star Wars.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Miftan posted:

It's mostly your 3-4 lane roundabouts and 5 light stoplights that get confusing for me. There's also some rules about turning right on intersections with stoplights and similar things that are completely alien to me. I have no doubt I can adjust, but I'd rather not. Especially because redoing all the driving exams that I did when I was 17 seems like a massive pain. On the bright side I'm used to driving on the wrong side of the road by now.

My husbands like that. He's been driving for 20 years but the vast majority is on the country roads round here which can be a nightmare (blind corners, one way tracks, passing massive lorries taking up half your side of the road and there's a loch directly on the other side so you just have to hold your breath and hope for the best) but at least you know where you're meant to be. Last time we drive to Liverpool (which seems like a cool place to live) I honestly thought we'd have to just abandon the car in the middle of a roundabout and walk the rest of the way. It was terrifying and I wasn't even driving.

Edit: And whoever it was that said that driving in Bath is hell was completely right. My God it's the worst place I've ever been, we went round the same half mile radius four times being able to see the entrance to my aunts road but never being able to actually get on it. Then getting the crematorium my brother got lost and the people in his car all missed half the service. It was terrible.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 22, 2016

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Aldi twixes are far superior to the real thing. I think they're called Jive? and are 59p for 5.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How old are you, for a bit of context?

It was on when my kid was a bit too young to get it and he's 20 now. It started with Pokemon (which was a lot better) then Dragonball Z was on all the time and something else which was really similar? Digimon I think. Very late 90's early 2000's I'd say.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Sorry, pokemon and digimon were the same.

Edit: maybe,, I don't know, it was just a load of shouting and weird looking creatures. I think the ones in digimon talked though maybe? This is 16 years ago and I wasn't really concentrating

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
It's weird, I'm probably one of the few people in the thread who is a mumsnet target audience and the only things I ever see on it are recipes and "yes it's totally normal if your kid does x/y/z" threads. All the other stuff people find on it just pass me by (except penis cup - I caught that)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

Do I want to know what penis cup is?

A cup by the bed filled with water for washing your penis after sex - a mum posted a thread asking if that was normal because she'd mentioned it to someone and they'd given her a funny look.

Edit: ^^I'm not a huge devotee of the site or anything, but it comes up for some of my google searches about kid stuff and I've found it pretty useful even just as a reassurance that other people are having the same issue that whatever it is that I'm googling. And the recipes are often pretty good if you're looking for stuff that kids are likely to eat with not much faffing involved

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 25, 2016

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

What things is it normal for kids to do?
Do mums know their teenage sons spend every waking hour jackin it?

My daughter doesn't really speak and I worry about it. My son eats a ridiculously small amount and is teeny tiny and I worry about it. A hundred other things that I worry about because I worry about everything. Obviously I also check places like NHS and stuff but sometimes it's nice to read other parents have the same worries and get reassurance.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Not sure I've ever been in a Watirose, the nearest one is about 80 miles away in Helensburgh.

I switched from doing all my shopping in Tesco to Aldi with Tesco for a top up of the things I couldn't get and the difference is about £30 a week. I think an interesting thing is that they've not alienated the people who wouldn't have been seen dead in a Kwiksave - they've sidestepped the snobbery that a lot of the other discount stores received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

The guy leading the charge against the bullies, Ben Howlett, is also openly gay and (unusually for a Tory) an enthusiastic gay-rights campaigner, so framing this whole thing as being about homophobia is probably going to work less well than it normally would.

Isn't it accusing the boys parents of homophobia? Suggesting his suicide was less to do with the tories and more because of his parents not supporting his sexual orientation. I've not been following the story though so I don't know.

• Locked thread