Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

I think he means why do individual workers still bitch about not being allowed to work themselves to death when actually they are (provided they don't mind signing away their right to not be forced to if they later don't feel like it), rather than "it's not a big deal working six full days a week".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Bedshaped posted:

A friend of mine is a white English expat living and working in Malta. But he gets very upset with how 'English culture' is being eroded by foreign people coming there to live/work. He doesn't like it when I confront him about the irony.

Wait, he gets mad about foreigns eroding British culture here, or foreigns eroding British culture in Malta?

Because if it's the second one then :shittypop:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

DesperateDan posted:

I was heavily drunk on an OU residential course (gently caress, I might as well just have said I was on a residential) and I found myself in the ungodly hours at an expat bar on mallorca, and I met a terrible person. Proud, that over 2 decades living in spain, she barely had a word of spanish, because in her words, she didn't need to. She lived in an enclave that was pretty much a daily mail fevered wet-dream of english people eating english foods from english shops talking only to english people, administered to by english people, somewhere on the coast of mainland spain- just part of a network of other enclaves. The reason she left the UK? Too. Many. Immigrants. Changing. Society.

This kind of behaviour goes a long way towards explaining why people believe Muslims are doing that here.

It's not that they're afraid of people who are foreign, they're afraid of people who are just like them, but with the "normal" power dynamic reversed. (which I'm now remembering is also a popular explanation for homophobia among sexist men)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
20,000 aka the population of about twenty average high schools, and a number easily accommodated by a modestly sized football stadium.

It's so many. We're drowning in immigrants. It is the worst.

Speaking of diplomatic exaggeration, what's going on with this EU immigration brake? The terms laid out so far say something like "if the member state can show there is an unacceptable strain on their welfare system caused by immigration, then they'll get the go ahead to use the brake", and in other parts "the UK is currently experiencing such a situation".

Except we're patently not.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've never been to mallorca but I understand their primary export is giant pencils

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Who will say the 14 words?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
In extremely tangentially related news, any of you who'd planned on getting to rough up some turbosexists this Saturday will have to find something else to do, because that mass MRA meet has been cancelled.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The notion that the US would be too diplomatically embarrassed by disappearing Assange to actually attempt it appears somewhat specious given that gitmo still hasn't shut down.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

TinTower posted:

Nobody in Gitmo was white.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

baka kaba posted:

Yeah but I mean, so what? Who shouldn't be a 'gentleman' or whatever? And who says he wasn't careful about who he was sleeping with? You're still sort of implying there must have been something underhanded going on, that the rape allegation can't simply be that. If that's not what you mean then I'm not really sure what point you're making by talking about sleeper agents and whatever

Sounds like his point is just that Assange is a loving dumbass for putting himself in this position. Like, if you knew you were as wanted as he is, would you not be extra super careful who you got into compromising situations with?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Much like the NHS, I too have trouble balancing my books when I don't get given enough money to keep myself alive.

Namtab posted:

I hope they can pay me :ohdear:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

XMNN posted:

lol apparently "organic" salt just doesn't have iodine or anticaking agents

good luck with ur giant clumps of salt and thyroid cancer in the nuclear wastleand, hippies

Put dried peas in it, that'll stop it clumping (in theory) and also make it, like, double organic (probably)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
e/ nvm, I can't read.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Paul.Power posted:

Looks good to me (as someone with a third in Astrophysics (via Maths) from Cambridge and a failed attempt at PGCE Secondary Maths).

The problems are (as the lament itself notes):

1. the whole thing is so complicated that really all you could do is abolish the National Curriculum and say to teachers "look, you guys figure it out, we'll muddle through somehow", which leads into...

2. finding enough teachers with the time and motivation to teach mathematics properly, and who aren't scared of getting it wrong, and who don't hate dealing with large numbers of kids. If we expand this to cover all subjects, you may find yourself employing every single adult in the country.

In short: aaaaaaa

Having just got to the end of this myself, it seems the obvious solution if you want to do as suggested and let everyone learn what they learn without caring about whether they all match the same (broken) standard of a productive member of society would be to institute some system whereby they are supported in whatever pursuit they might choose, so that profit motivation (or the drive to survive) is no longer the primary force in people's lives.

In other words, full communism now.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

and tan is a tangent to the circle.

I don't know what you mean by that, but you also get the tangent graph by dividing one (non hypotenuse) side of the triangle by the other and plotting that against how far around the circle you are.

I never knew this relation until just now; I'd had sohcahtoa memorised as magic, but seeing the semicircle thing in that article made it click as to why that's the case and why it all works. So double thanks for posting it :)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 6, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm sure any British bill of rights would largely identical to the echr, save for an addendum reading "these rights cannot be violated, unless you're a terrorist, or we really really want to"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
:laffo:

Bus exploded on London Bridge by shifty foreigner Jackie Chan

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

I'll never understand why these things always put midnight at the top and midday at the bottom. If you do it the other way up it's like the hour hand is always roughly pointing to the physical location of the sun, which is really neat.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

OzyMandrill posted:

Maybe it's because if you point the hour hand at the sun then the top (midnight) will be pointing approximately North, which is possibly more useful?

Except most of the time it would actually be pointing straight up into the blackness of space, because despite the picture being of a mariner's wristwatch I'm actually griping about 24 hour wall clocks :v:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tesseraction posted:

My God, not 50k immigrants! *side-eyes Cameron's net immigration of 300k last year alone*

That's correct, not 50k immigrants; 50k refugees.

Even if he'd done nothing else, this campaign to conflate "refugee/asylum seeker" with "illegal immigrant coming to tek ur jerb" would put Cameron firmly on my poo poo list.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 8, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oberleutnant posted:

A friend of the family is a screw and he tells horror stories about his experience of prisons that are partly staffed privately. I think they get bonuses (or avoid penalties) by reducing contraband, so they just don't search for it properly. They lower violence rates by locking the prisoners in their cells all day, and if something does kick off in the landings they withdraw all the private staff and leave the convicts to it - I think to avoid injury and the resulting comp claims.

The private sector! :v:

Now what do you suppose would be the easiest way to reduce the number of released convicts who go on to reoffend?

If you answered "lock them up forever", you lose five points; the actual answer is rise of the judges :commissar:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

thespaceinvader posted:

What did you think initially, when the Junior Doctors first started threatening to strike because they were getting a lovely new contract imposed on them by an arsehole?

That it was just another one of the thousand cuts, rather than a bullet in the head.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

big scary monsters posted:

I've said before but I really don't see how the NHS costing too much has become an acceptable narrative. It's the organisation that looks after the health of almost every person in the country at all stages of their lives, from birth to palliative care. Exactly what should we be spending money on that is more important than that?

My midlife crisis/retirement fund. Taxes are state theft! It's my money that I earned through hard graft, I should get to spend it how I want! :qq:

This isn't even just the kind of rear end in a top hat the Tories are appealing to, it's the narrative they're leading with, that your tax dollars are better off with you than with a central body which can efficiently allocate them to necessary national infrastructure.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Coohoolin posted:

How many units are in a pint, 2?

Whatever percent it is, that's how many units per litre.

4% beer will be 4 units per litre, so yeah roughly 2 per pint.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What the gently caress lager are you drinking

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jose posted:

i'm not sure this is correct

That's probably not how it's calculated, sure, but it is accurate. Look on the back of any bottle you like and do the maths.

e/ apparently that actually is how it works, a unit is 10ml of pure alcohol and the percentage is by volume. So yeah X% = X units per litre by definition.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 9, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I literally only just bothered looking it up, and only knew it previously from working it out myself, because I spend too much time looking at bottles and not enough time emptying them.

XMNN posted:

alcoholism is for chumps 420 smoke weed every day

But weed doesn't taste good! :beerpal:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Fursecution is real :furcry:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I'm loathe to drag us back into nukechat but if you didn't see it last week I suggest you check out World War III: Inside the War Room on the iPlayer.

I didn't see the programme but I did see the related Web article they put up on the news page. The first imaginary scenario they ran involved ethnic Russians in Latvia staging mass protests (because a dozen odd ethnic Russians had been locked up for ~something~ by a neighbouring non-nato state whose name escapes me) and multiple generals deciding that the only response to this would be, to greater or lesser extent, send NATO troops in as a show of force, because said Russian civilians (EU citizens) might be under Putin's influence, or could be used by him as cover to stage a lightning invasion, and by Jingo they won't be fooled again after Ukraine.

I pretty much stopped reading there.

StoneOfShame posted:

It was surprisingly not total dog poo poo, the best thing about it was that it reminded me to watch Dr Strangelove again which was of course excellent and I believe a completely accurate portrayal.

Now this is a good plan.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tesseraction posted:

Please don't turn UKMT into the US threads with their DUCK SEASON / RABBIT SEASON dumb slapfight over Hillary/Bernie.

Yo where do I go to put :20bux: on Bernie to win the Democrat primaries but the (non-Trump) Republican candidate to win the presidency?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Personally I hope Sanders wins because It'd be hilarious to watch the right wing of America's reaction and also because it'd convince a lot of people to vote for Corbyn classic if AmeriCorbyn wins.

I'd pay good money to see Alex Jones reach a level even further beyond...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlvSdKcv0H0

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

TACD posted:

Junior doctors' row: BMA rejects 'final' contract offer

Good on the BMA for sticking to their guns. Hunt is determined to sell the NHS off no matter what, maybe he'll at least lose his job over it :(

So we're just going to forget that we had an agreement that both the BMA and the government found acceptable but which Hunt, just one man, vetoed because of ~reasons~, and then had the gall to try and score points on the fact that "only" over ten thousand junior doctors turned out to the latest strike.

I know it's an ideological battle for the Tories, but is there anything specifically Hunt gains from an NHS selloff? Any fingers in corporate medical pies that might make for an obvious ulterior motive? Or is he just banking on staying friends with other Tories who do?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If there's one positive in all this [doctor horrorshow], it's that poo poo's finally falling apart far enough and fast enough to pull my family out of their liberal groove of "well that's just how it goes, the Tories mean well and are making the best of a bad situation" and towards seeing that they're selfish malicious bastards.

On the downside this is manifesting mainly as electoral and political apathy, because of course Labour are just as bad :v:

Labour would gain a great deal of ground just by promising to refund the NHS imo; complaints about cost ought to be easily deflected by stressing the importance of the service if they shout loud and long enough, they just need to do it.

Tesseraction posted:

Off topic but remember when I said you should read E/N for the hilarious stories it produces? One's happening right now http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763504

A story of her brother almost dying takes a sharp twist within the first page.

Hahaha gently caress, called it by the end of the first post. Twelve year olds, man.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pistol_Pete posted:

Don't underestimate how brazen he could possibly be! If he acts all worried and launches an "urgent inquiry" into doctor's morale, many people who haven't been following the dispute closely will overhear it on the news or see a headline and think: "well, their low morale obviously can't be that guy Jeremy Hunt's fault: look how concerned he is!"

Same basic deal as Trump's idea to freeze Muslim immigration "until our guys can figure out just what the heck is going on", as if the motivations of ISIS (and those of the 9/11 hijackers) are a complete mystery.

It's fine, see! He's not biased, he's just asking questions!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I heard some nurses speak enviously of the nice shiny tablets Virgin passes out to their health visitors, case closed sell everything

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Fans posted:

"If you don't want to pay taxes get off the goverments property"

That property of course being the entire of the UK.

"Nuh uh! I own this bit because freehold!"

It's not an argument you can win I think, at least not that way, because the people that make it are generally those well off enough to shut up and pay their taxes believe that they'd be able to survive (and be financially better off) if they only paid directly for the things they use, like hospital visits or driving to a friend's house via public highway.

Maybe remind them there's a reason Robin Hood remains a national hero. On some level, everybody supports mandatory wealth redistribution (except obviously the people who were trying to use the phrase "Robin Hood tax" as a pejorative)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

I'm just getting an error message, I don't suppose anybody took a screenshot?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tesseraction posted:

He was tweeting about how it's weird that people who find celebs sexy tweet 'dad' at them

They do what now

I swear twitter gets dumber by the minute

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Really the timing is quite convenient. All the antibiotics are about to stop working, so it won't matter if the doctors decide to stop working too. :suicide:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Namtab posted:

Public bodies showing political bias seems suicidal.

Why?

The NHS can't lobby in its own favour, but any private health concern can. How is any public entity supposed to be able to weather that kind of inherent bias?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tesseraction posted:

By entering the private sector, you statist.

Do have a wall in your house? Please go stand by the wall. Someone will be along shortly to protect you.

• Locked thread