Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

baka kaba posted:

Apparently some places have literally had to go begging to Jeremy Hunt just to meet payroll. He issues loans because he wants to teach them a lesson about financial responsibility. I really wish I was making this up

What in the actual gently caress. :psyduck:

Renaissance Robot posted:

Much like the NHS, I too have trouble balancing my books when I don't get given enough money to keep myself alive.

That's the sick joke of it, isn't it? Starve it of money, then turn around and say "Tsk tsk! Look at how badly it's doing...better carve it up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Jeremy Hunt once co-authored a paper about how it was time to privatise the NHS.

Also I remember something about every Tory front bencher having links to private heathcare providers.

This is from a few years ago under the coalition government, in regards to MPs who voted for the Health and Social Care Act 2012, and their links to private healthcare companies

quote:

One in five Coalition MPs have links with private firms who could profit from the Government’s NHS reforms, a damning dossier will reveal on Tuesday.

Prime Minister David Cameron, former Health Secretary Andrew Lansley and his successor Jeremy Hunt are among 64 Tory MPs named in a study by the Unite union.
Deputy PM Nick Clegg and Business Secretary Vince Cable are among seven Liberal Democrats on the list.

All 71 MPs named in the dossier voted in favour of the Government’s controversial Health and Social Care Act in 2012, which opened up the NHS to more private firms.
[...]
Many of the MPs named in the document have directly received donations from business leaders or firms with links to the private health industry.

Some are kinda weak links, others are large donations, shares, or other vested interests.

[e]: Source: BBC

Commons votes to end automatic naming of arrested MPs posted:

ny arrested MP will not automatically be identified in the Commons after MPs backed changes to its procedures.

In future, the MP involved will be consulted and named only if there is an issue of "parliamentary privilege or constitutional significance" at stake.

The cross-party Procedure Committee said revealing names of arrested MPs was incompatible with a privacy right.

Chairman Charles Walker said he was not asking for special treatment for MPs but for the law to be applied equally.

The Commons approved changes to the existing rules, which require the police to notify the Speaker when an MP is arrested and for the Speaker in turn to tell the House, without a formal vote.

Mr Walker, the Tory MP for Broxbourne, in Hertfordshire, told the Commons that MPs should have the same rights to privacy as any other citizen, and in future their names should not be put in the public domain if they were arrested, unless this was directly connected to their role as an MP.

But objecting to the change, Labour MP John Mann argued that it would give MPs special rights in law that do not apply to everyone else.

Deputy Commons leader Therese Coffey said it was up to the Commons to decide although the government has indicated that the change brings MPs into line with the rest of the public.

The Procedure Committee's recent report revealed that in the last Parliament, Tory MPs Nigel Evans and David Ruffley were named after their arrests. Mr Evans was later acquitted of sexual offences and Mr Ruffley cautioned for assault.

Green MP Caroline Lucas was arrested during an anti-fracking protest and later acquitted of obstruction.

Meanwhile it has emerged that police have been involved in a total of five cases linked to MPs' expenses under the current system, with none of the politicians identified.

In December it emerged that the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA), the MPs' expenses watchdog, had referred three potentially criminal cases to police in March without any public announcement, or identifying the individuals involved.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 11, 2016

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

serious gaylord posted:

Actually the real problem with the left is we're all chewing our knuckles over this and not talking about the fact 260,000 people have signed the petition to get a motion of no confidence in Jeremy Hunt debated in parliament.

The second such petition, I believe. The first got roughly the same signatures, but didn't amount to much as they glossed over the no confidence in favour of talking about the contracts last year. It's at least the third time there's been a no confidence for Hunt too - the BMA told parliament they had no confidence in Hunt in 2013.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pissflaps posted:

What did they want the cake to say?

"Support Gay Marriage - Queerspace - born 1998" with a picture of two muppets off Sesame street. Queerspace being the group that the guy who made the order for the cake was from.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Shameful hypocrisy. They should have put it on ToryTube, where the comments still have to work even if they're disabled.

Excellent :golfclap:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Some landlords are bastards news:

Safety concerns in Sports Direct town over 'carved up houses' posted:

"Bolsover District Council has pledged to investigate the "unacceptable" division of this room - straight down the middle of the window "

Police say they have safety concerns about overcrowded houses in the town where one of Europe's largest sports retailers is based.
Sports Direct employs at least 3,500 agency workers at its site in Shirebrook, Derbyshire.

While filming in the town, the BBC was shown houses "carved into flats", including one with rooms partitioned down the middle of its windows.
Bolsover Council admitted it was caught off guard by the influx of workers.

Figures obtained by the BBC also show 46 housing complaints relating to overcrowding, repairs and conditions were made from April 2015 to 21 December last year - up from 16 in 2005 to 2006.

The Sports Direct agency workers, largely employed in the company's warehouse, come mainly from Eastern European countries like Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Latvia, Lithuania and Albania.
There are 500 permanent staff at the site.

The council estimates 1,500 people have moved to Shirebrook - which has a population of more than 13,000 - in the last four years, with many renting rooms in houses near the company's headquarters.

Police community support officer (PCSO) Steve Cathcart said: "There's been an influx of Eastern Europeans and the landlords that own the houses are carving these houses up into flats.
"Our concern is the fire risk, the safety to these people that are moving in."

The police said one of the occupants in the house where two rooms had been visibly partitioned up to the windows works at Sports Direct, but added the resident had "no fire doors".
[...]
BBC

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Puntification posted:

funny way to spell all.
I didn't format it properly; it was meant to read "Some, "Landlords are bastards" news".

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Kaislioc posted:

http://thetab.com/uk/kent/2016/02/22/student-tories-want-build-250ft-bronze-statue-thatcher-campus-8618

Let us build this mighty monument as a celebration of the diversity we have reached in the modern UKMT.

I propose an UKMT sanctioned Thatcher Memorial Pissior, to become part of the mighty colossus.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

It sounds like the most pointless loving thing ever. Gloss news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Forget priests, they can go nuts for all i care, but from politicians id appreciate a plain 'Ive occasionally used recreational drugs of various sorts at various times across my life but now I'm on the public payroll I'm going to be working like a bastard because of the trust the public has put in me and wont really have time for such fun, but I'm rolling a fat reefer the day I'm out of office!'

Wouldn't that be nice.

The hypocrisy is the most galling thing...and the sheer refusal to budge from ideology, (but that's pretty much applicable to every action they do :shrug:), but especially on their backwards-arsed drug policies.

• Locked thread