Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Puntification posted:

I wouldn't want to risk sacrificing schoolgirls as collateral damage. Plus Corbyn'll never earn the nickname Uncle Jez if he doesn't grow and moustache and purge at least one dude.

But... he already has a moustache?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, any good articles on the hilarious backstabbing going on in the 'leave the EU' camp?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

StoneOfShame posted:

You know how free schools were a great idea? You know how elected police commissioners were also a great idea? Well how about we combine the two for a superb idea! Police commissioners to set up free schools for troubled kids under a new proposal from Theresa May http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/04/may-wants-elected-commissioners-to-set-up-free-schools-for-troubled-children

What went wrong with elected police commissioners? Like, I know the electoral turnout was tiny, but what real-world damage did the policy end up causing?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

If you know the rest of this songjoke please post it, it's been skittering around the edges of my brain for days and all I can remember is the punchline :saddowns:

Johnny was a chemist,
Johnny is no more,
For what he thought was H2O
Was H2SO4.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Times issues a dire warning in today's front-page scare-story.

Article is paywalled, but you only really need the first few paragraphs to get the gist of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

winegums posted:

I hope we leave europe. I want the racist right wing to sort of implode whilst taking the the FYGM-right wing out as collateral damage.

Yep, them getting everything they want is definitely going to cause them to implode.

Seriously, this logic is weird as hell.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The latest Corbyn related non-story is apparently that a man in his 20s goes on dates with women. :byodood:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/02/07/seb-corbyn-tinder-story_n_9182946.html

Jeremy 'The Sexpot Trot' Corbyn.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What evidence do we have of corruption in the academy/free school system? It seems ripe for it, but I'd like specifics.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Thundercloud posted:

http://www.localschoolsnetwork.org.uk/2014/01/just-how-corrupt-does-a-free-school-have-to-be-to-be-seen-as-unacceptable

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/01/free-schools-will-invite-corruption-unless-we-fix-them-now

Basically when you form a free school they give you the school building. The issue with that is that it is then yours. You do not need to employ qualified staff, and don't have to follow the national curriculum.

You have a lot of public money to dispose of, no scrutiny, so you just hire your mates without interview.

I posted the example of the Conservative PCC a few pages back who was being lauded by Theresa May for setting up a school for children on the cusp of crime, or who wanted to work in the police. He took the police HQ building and converted it to a free school, run by a company that he is chairman of. The police have had to build a new HQ at a significant cost to the public.

Basically a couple of billion pounds of public money has gone straight to Tories all over the country.

I ask because of this bit from the BBC article on proposed prison reforms, which has triggered a quiet internal scream that will not cease:

quote:

The governors of Young Offenders Institutions will be given the same freedoms the head teachers of free schools have in an attempt to improve conditions

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Ahahahaha Jesus Christ, We're going to have a full Abu Ghraib within a month and it's going to be all legal.

Edit: and of course I'm sure we'll be getting some very cushy prisons for the upper classes who get caught.

Yarl's Wood already exists, though?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just hoping Bernie picks a good VP. He'll be seventy-five when he takes office, and... well, look at the before and after pictures of Obama.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

This cannot be true. It is just way beyond parody, no self-respecting comedy writer would even go for this it's so laughable.

Jeremy Hunt launches urgent inquiry into junior doctors' morale

e: Bit more detail from The Telegraph

Bets on the inquiry discovering that a nice bit of NHS privatisation would cheer those poor doctors right up?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

https://moreknownthanproven.wordpress.com/2016/02/16/proof-council-cuts-hit-poorest-areas-hardest/

When you compare the cuts to council funding (in terms of spending power changes over the last 5 years) vs the rank of council in terms of deprivation there's a very clear trend:

Axes start at zero. Good blogger, well done.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

well he made the pledge because he wanted to win an election, and there would probably have been open rebellion if he hadn't gone through with the referendum once promised. then he decided to try and leverage the situation he himself had created for his own electoral success to extract concessions from europe, after making sure that everyone that matters in europe really hates him because of his myopic focus on domestic affairs

i mean it could've been elegant, if britain's hand here were as strong as dave thinks it is

All signs indicate that the current kerfuffle in Brussels is being heavily stage-managed so that Cameron can get a bunch of largely meaningless pre-arranged concessions that he heroically eked out from a bunch of tense negotiations that totally weren't being played up for the press by all involved, honest. For instance, one thing he's been pushing for is a British exemption from the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union... which we already got in the lead-up to the Lisbon Treaty back in 2007.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I'm happy to have Europol in here except for Germans, Austrians, Finns and Estonians. There's obviously exceptions but the ones who slide into Europol are racist motherfuckers and GC is far-right even for them.

Gee, has Cameron just signed the deal for you!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

No-one's 100% sure. Unlikely his lovely cells left the Reich, though.

If they put him in the river, he could be anywhere.

You might be drinking Hitler right now. :tinfoil:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Didn't Miliband get called a copper-bottomed poo poo too? When did copper-bottomed become an insult?

'Copper-bottomed' means 'firm, guaranteed, and reliable'. It's a reference to wooden ships having copper reinforcement in their hulls to keep them... well, ship-shaped, as opposed to a pile of splinters across a couple of nautical miles of seabed.

Basically, it means that they are definitely shits, and they are really good at being shits.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

Isn't it a reference to copper hulling of late 18th/19th century warships, which were resistant to corrosion and therefore good?
How does that become an insult.

Darth Walrus posted:

'Copper-bottomed' means 'firm, guaranteed, and reliable'. It's a reference to wooden ships having copper reinforcement in their hulls to keep them... well, ship-shaped, as opposed to a pile of splinters across a couple of nautical miles of seabed.

Basically, it means that they are definitely shits, and they are really good at being shits.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Praseodymi posted:

...and what do you think about sucking farts through a straw? Oh, wait, that isn't capitalism...

Depends - whose farts are they, and how much did you pay for them?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In more weird student news (sorry), Kent University's Conservative Society are pushing a motion to build a 200-foot-tall iron statue of Margaret Thatcher again. Reports are unclear on whether the eye-beams will be fully functional before it begins its death-march to the North.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

More like lazy scroungers attempting to get paid to lay around all day.

Cardcaptors was Good poo pooTM, though it also suffered from:

I vaguely remember gundam wing being on cartoon network around the same time as dbz, but gundam is bad so pretend I didn't mention it.

Actually, the new Gundam is good. It's about our heroes starting a proletarian revolution against the space aristocracy, and the latest arc involves the hero smashing corrupt strikebreakers with a giant hammer. Giant sickle not confirmed as a new weapon, but plausible.

Also, Tony Benn is a cute anime girl.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

PiCroft posted:

I thought "Something of the night" was a homophobic reference as well. Why would it be construed as a reference to Romanian heritage?

It means 'he looks like Dracula'. I assume you know where Transylvania is?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

If you held a referendum right now on which end of the political spectrum should be banned, most of this thread would end up in jail. Your chosen leader using those powers for good isn't enough, because eventually they'll be gone, some shithead will be in power, and then the law you used to enforce right-think on the populace is going to be used on you.

I don't believe words or opinions should ever be illegal, no matter how thick and racist they are. The minute they act on those opinions, lock them up forever, but thoughtcrimes are the slipperiest of slippery slopes.

Words, at least, can cause material harm. There's the old fire-in-a-crowded-theatre argument, but we also have hate speech laws for a reason - whipping up violence against vulnerable groups is pretty goddamn dangerous.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Miftan posted:

That doesn't sound like something someone voted for Corbyn would say?

Trident warhead casings make great pots for growing strawberries in.

We must secure the existence of our preserves and a future for British jam.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I was wondering - Churchill gets a lot of press as the 'greatest Briton', and we've discussed his (considerable) flaws thousands of times in the UKMT, but who would you lot put up for the title? Best ever British person?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

J_RBG posted:

I think we should get Theresa May to deport non-jam-likers

The potential for them to say something mean to a nice old lady who makes crabapple jam or something is too high.

e: also I remember having this discussion about greatest Britons before; the attitude to history that sees it as Great People doing Great Things is Not Correct, yous lot

Some people are pretty amazingly cool, though. Just look at Hedy Lamarr. God drat, she had a hell of a life.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rakosi posted:

It's not exactly stick beating if the services being beaten over the head with their history of covering up of child sex abuses actually did cover up child sex abuses.

The stick could afford to be swung with a broader arc, though. Might be a good idea for them to stop every so often and beat themselves over the head, too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Tory bullying scandal centring around Mark Clarke just went places again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

il_cornuto posted:

Oh that's OK then, no one would ever bully someone they were in a relationship with

The guy leading the charge against the bullies, Ben Howlett, is also openly gay and (unusually for a Tory) an enthusiastic gay-rights campaigner, so framing this whole thing as being about homophobia is probably going to work less well than it normally would.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Isn't it accusing the boys parents of homophobia? Suggesting his suicide was less to do with the tories and more because of his parents not supporting his sexual orientation. I've not been following the story though so I don't know.

I feel there's a double-element to it. He's accusing the kid's parents of homophobia for driving their son to suicide, and accusing his Tory pursuers of it for focusing on him rather than on that alternative explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

That was the after-party.

• Locked thread