Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Boywhiz88 posted:

There's also a realization that oh wait, the way we design cars means that even Tesla's are godawful heavy because of their batteries so they wreck roads more and burn through tires faster. Oh wait... there hasn't been a widespread realization of that. Yet.

Nor will there be, because both those things are false. Even the heaviest electric car weighs very little compared to light trucks, box trucks, and big rigs, which contribute almost all wear and tear to road surfaces. Tires for electric vehicles are pricier due to manufacturer demands for low rolling resistance, but shouldn’t wear any faster due to the weight of the vehicle, as the need to carry that weight around is built in to the tire design.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Teslas aren’t replacing box trucks or F-150s though.

Not saying anything about road damage, but electric vehicles are heavy compared to many passenger vehicles.

WithoutTheFezOn has a new favorite as of 02:41 on Apr 3, 2024

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This car doesn't weigh more than this truck, big truck, or biggest truck.

Zesty has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Apr 6, 2024

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tristesse posted:

Musk really hosed up their corporate image.

Teslas used to be the car you could splurge on but still feel good about because it's electric and you're saving the planet. It's a lot harder to maintain that feel good sense of superiority when the CEO is a gigantic rear end in a top hat.
Which is really ironic given how much Tesla's carbon credit sales have increased pollution. America is a deeply stupid country.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

Vegetable posted:

As the article says, not much is actually changing. They’re just using a different technology now instead — put stuff in a special cart and you can skip the counter.

Well, this is kind of disappointing and ableist. I can’t use a cart because I am reliant on a walker. I usually just load up bags and hang them from my walker. I would like the three thousand Indians in a trenchcoat back please. I will tip them generously.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

One little, two little, three little, four little...

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Amazon's got "Just Walk Out" technology but walmart already had this decades ago

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

it's always a Mechanical Turk

No, they specifically said they're Mechanical Indians.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Boywhiz88 posted:

There's also a realization that oh wait, the way we design cars means that even Tesla's are godawful heavy because of their batteries so they wreck roads more and burn through tires faster. Oh wait... there hasn't been a widespread realization of that. Yet.

Those realizations are slow coming, and for good reasons. Per-vehicle road damage scales exponentially with weight, so even if Ol' Musky dropped an 8 ton Tesla tomorrow it'd still be a rounding error compared to dump trucks hauling gravel or fully loaded 18 wheelers.

Some day we (Americans) will realize that rail is God's Own Solution to long-haul heavy weight shipping, and yes, on that day the Teslas will draw ire. That's a long, long way off still, and the re-propigation of rail in America is a longer way off still.

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

it's always a Mechanical Turk

DC really missed an opportunity by not casting Donald Faison as Cyborg

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON

wakka wakka posted:

Yes but also they cast him as Booster Gold which is loving fantastic so we give them a pass

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

wakka wakka posted:

Goddamnit.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Amazon's got "Just Walk Out" technology but walmart already had this decades ago

Giant, a Mid-Atlantic chain of grocery stores, also had something like this circa 2008-ish? They had these little hand-scanner thingies you could pick up at the front of the store, then scan and bag your stuff as you pick them off the shelf. Presumably they also had card readers on them so you can pay and walk out when done. It's where I shopped '08-'14 and I remember seeing the scanners, but I was never brave enough to use them.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

wakka wakka posted:

:golfclap:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ofecks posted:

Giant, a Mid-Atlantic chain of grocery stores, also had something like this circa 2008-ish? They had these little hand-scanner thingies you could pick up at the front of the store, then scan and bag your stuff as you pick them off the shelf. Presumably they also had card readers on them so you can pay and walk out when done. It's where I shopped '08-'14 and I remember seeing the scanners, but I was never brave enough to use them.

Shop-rite had these around the same time. The idea was great, but the constant coupons ads it did drove me nuts.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Meijer has similar but via their app, which means I'm never going to try it. I'm honestly not sure what the time savings is even supposed to be - you have to stop and scan everything anyway.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Haifisch posted:

Meijer has similar but via their app, which means I'm never going to try it. I'm honestly not sure what the time savings is even supposed to be - you have to stop and scan everything anyway.

You can shop in the order that you would be bagging your groceries, so that you don't have to dump everything out of your cart and then back into your cart.

You also don't have to wait forever in line because there's exactly one cashier, with 23 other lanes mocking you, as if the store is saying "we could let you actually live your life, but number go up."

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Haifisch posted:

I had a Sam's Club membership for a year (my sister got it for me after I mentioned that I don't like giving Walmart money and was going to get a Costco membership soon :rolleyes:) and their app let you scan and pay for items as you went. Was wonderful when lines were long, especially in the middle of COVID since they did zero enforcement of masks.

I don't think Costco has that option but their website and app are garbage so maybe I'm just missing it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I had a Sam's Club membership for a year (my sister got it for me after I mentioned that I don't like giving Walmart money and was going to get a Costco membership soon :rolleyes:) and their app let you scan and pay for items as you went. Was wonderful when lines were long, especially in the middle of COVID since they did zero enforcement of masks.

I don't think Costco has that option but their website and app are garbage so maybe I'm just missing it.

Did your sister just not realize that sams club is a part of Walmart?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

All shops have a walk-out option if you're not a pussy

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Zesty posted:

This car weighs doesn't weigh more than this truck, big truck, or biggest truck.

Take is from a civil engineer with an emphasis in transportation (UCI, class of 91. Go 'Eaters!!) Cars, pickups and SUV's don't do jack poo poo to a properly built road. It is all about the big rigs. You ever wonder why they pay such high taxes? It is because they do ALL of the damage to roadways. Roads are designed using the ESAL concept.

Check out Table 7.1 on page 7. You see those zeros for cars, pickups and SUVs? You can run a heavy car over properly built pavement all day long, it won't do a thing.

https://www.penndot.pa.gov/ProjectAndPrograms/PostedBondedRoadway/Documents/ESAL-BASED%20COSTS.pdf

The more you know.

Cat Ass Trophy has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Apr 3, 2024

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Admiral Joeslop posted:

They do not and I really wish they did. Scan and go is one of the main reasons I still keep Sam’s.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Haifisch posted:

You put stuff directly into your bags and then just scan a QR code at a kiosk and then pay and walk out. Takes 30 seconds and there are never lines, it's fantastic. No waiting 20 minutes for the 1 cashier lane when it's busy since they only staff a couple lanes at most anymore.

It also automatically tells you if there's any coupons for any of the items you scan

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

It also automatically tells you if there's any coupons for any of the items you scan

And on any items you didn't scan. And at random times just because. All while playing an obnoxious, un-mutable "KA-CHING!!!" sound each time they do it.

:shepicide:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Did your sister just not realize that sams club is a part of Walmart?

I'm sure she did she's just an rear end in a top hat sometimes. My daughter has panic attacks if she's the center of attention for something so when we go out to eat for birthdays, we don't tell the server that it's for a birthday so there's no singing or extra attention. I told my sister and mom directly that there will be by singing or anything at the restaurant and she went ahead and told them anyway. I pretended it was my birthday even though there wasn't singing, just a dessert.

Next year I'm just straight up telling them that if they tell the restaurant it's a birthday, we're leaving. I had to put up with that poo poo all through my childhood and hated it then.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm sure she did she's just an rear end in a top hat sometimes. My daughter has panic attacks if she's the center of attention for something so when we go out to eat for birthdays, we don't tell the server that it's for a birthday so there's no singing or extra attention. I told my sister and mom directly that there will be by singing or anything at the restaurant and she went ahead and told them anyway. I pretended it was my birthday even though there wasn't singing, just a dessert.

Next year I'm just straight up telling them that if they tell the restaurant it's a birthday, we're leaving. I had to put up with that poo poo all through my childhood and hated it then.

They would already be uninvited to the next one if this was my family. I wouldn’t give a second chance if they pulled that on my daughter (sure she’s only 3 right now, but still). You were warned once.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Beat her rear end.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I had to put up with that poo poo all through my childhood and hated it then.

I can’t stand it either. It sends my brain into overload immediately, even at 38.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Next time tell the restaurant that it's her birthday and you absolutely DO NOT want any birthday song and dance for the table, no matter what another adult may say.

Alternately,

Biplane posted:

Beat her rear end.

because gently caress that noise.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I wouldn’t invite them again. They had their chance, their toxic behavior can stay at home

I mean really you told them not to do something and they did it anyway, is this a one time thing or are they pulling this poo poo constantly? Why would next year be any different?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hotel Kpro posted:

I wouldn’t invite them again. They had their chance, their toxic behavior can stay at home

I mean really you told them not to do something and they did it anyway, is this a one time thing or are they pulling this poo poo constantly? Why would next year be any different?

You know it’s a pattern. :sever:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Almost a few days after Dollar tree announced they were going to raise prices and start selling items at $10 or so, and probably have nothing left at a dollar or under, the $0.99. only store is totally closing down all stores. Over 300 stores. And of course they site covid and raising of the minimum wage is why, and not the fact that 90% of their merchandise can be found at Walmart for cheaper. So no one goes to the $0.99/ dollar store expecting to pay grocery store prices.

The funny thing is that before they raised their prices, I would go in there and buy all kinds of crap from the 99 cents only store. I could justify spending the money because it's only a dollar per item, so I would buy all kinds of Halloween decorations that would end up in totes and forgotten about until next year or even 2 years later, so then I would just have even more cheap plastic skeletons and spiders all over the place.

The idea of an impulse purchase is really easy when it's only a dollar. It's a lot harder when that dollar is suddenly seven or eight times that and the product is the same or smaller.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 05:50 on Apr 5, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's literally an entire science around impulse buys, basically the price that most human brains register as 'basically free' and thus will far more likely buy something that seems even slightly desirable. Of course, how much that is and how successful it can be depends on a LOT of factors, different from person to person. Cheap garbage sells because people make the cost/benefit analysis and figure even if it sucks, is only used once, immediately breaks or doesn't work, oh well it's only a buck.

Greedflation caused everyone to have to rethink their purchasing habits, and I think some companies have actually been shook by now as it's been noted a few prices have actually gone back down. And in that case of Dollar Tree, when you get rid of literally the primary draw of your store, of course people are going to look for any readily available alternative, and likely lose most of the trust they had in you even if you backpedal.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Decrepus posted:

i'm a mechanical
i'm a mechanical
i'm a mechanical turk

I’m not going to let this go unappreciated

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hotel Kpro posted:

Considering how much he hates it from his childhood, I'll go with "pulled poo poo constantly despite his objections." Assholes like that absolutely love to stomp boundaries & victim-blame or act like it's just a joke/no big deal.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Dollar stores have completely taken over rural America and poorer neighborhood. Their niche is not impulse buys but smaller cheaper Walmart.

Nothing in dollar general is a dollar no. But it’s still much cheaper (and lower quality) than even wal mart

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Everything you need to know about America can be found at the dollar store

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Dollar stores have completely taken over rural America and poorer neighborhood. Their niche is not impulse buys but smaller cheaper Walmart.

Nothing in dollar general is a dollar no. But it’s still much cheaper (and lower quality) than even wal mart

A very weird big fish eat little fish then eaten by bigger fish moment for me was watching Family Dollar drive a grocery store out of business of a small town i drive through, but then get driven out of business by Dollar General in turn. They seem to have come back in merged form as Family Dollar/Dollar Tree though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mechanical Turk is a pretty kickass name.

And hell, the original device is pretty drat cool even because it was a carnival trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Speaking of dollar stores, all 371 of the 99 Cents Only stores will be shutting down.

quote:

"This was an extremely difficult decision and is not the outcome we expected or hoped to achieve," interim CEO Mike Simoncic said in a news release. "Unfortunately, the last several years have presented significant and lasting challenges in the retail environment."

Simoncic said several factors contributed to the dire state of the discount store company, including the "unprecedented impact left by the COVID-19 pandemic." He also cited shifting consumer demands, inflationary pressures and rising shrinkage levels, which refers to the loss of inventory or cash from theft, damage, or administrative errors.