Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

No salmonella, just a worm colony that took over and started cleaning/improving the place all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Forever Chapter 11

:drat:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

More product in all stores in next few weeks. Fry’s is not liquidating.

We just aren’t buying new products to replace the ones that sold, it’s totally different, we promise! :downs:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Monday monkey lives for the weekends.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Also, you’re not harvesting all sorts of data to sell off to tech-bro ghouls? What even is the point then :confused:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

stevewm posted:

Try working in a hardware store/lumber yard/home center. More than 80% of customers that walk in the front door are going to ask an employee for help. And it will usually be something along the lines of "I have this pipe, how to do I connect it to this other pipe?"

Creating content for any combo of the OSHA, Crappy Construction, and Horrible Mechanical Failures threads :unsmith:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

If you haven't been following the saga of GarfieldEATS, well, I can't say I blame you because life is short and our brains, although wonderful, are of limited capacity by definition.

HOWEVER

The fabulously wealthy and deeply strange founder / owner of GarfieldEATS, which has perhaps not been the industry-disrupting blockbuster success he imagined it would, wrote a super-mad piece called "Google Reviews Destroy Young Entrepreneurship" and it is bonkers:

https://medium.com/@nathenmazri/google-reviews-destroy-young-entrepreneurship-add2929d5668

:stare:

quote:

Until Google critically thinks about the 15 countries per GDP, who have 180 million companies and 10 million more form other nations; our Happiness Managers will respond to those suspicious and unethical reviewers in the following manner until further notice or action is taken by Google: ( I said Google now and Google Assistance turns On, how nice !)

“Oh oh, This is a spammy review and it has been reported to Google. We apologize to our fans and please be mindful and skeptical of all Google reviews. Love me, feed me, don’t leave me.”

...what

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

This way lies madness.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884709&perpage=40

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve read most of the way through the GarfieldEATS! thread (I’m up to page 35/40). All the posts about the owner’s book...the shout-out he gave to us here...it’s :stonklol: on every page, and you never know what the next twist will be.

I think I have a constant look that’s a crossed between bemused and terrified. Am I entergaged yet?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Wasn’t that a relic of them buying out Funcoland?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Some Gamestops have piloted having Friday Night Magic or other gaming events there, but it doesn't appear to be spreading.

This is how the store that sold board/tabletop games stayed in business back home, along with frisbee golf accessories and occasional Smash tournaments. They’ve since opened a restaurant next door, but have also gone all-in on Magic and other card games (cutting out their tabletop night entirely). Can’t blame them for following the $$, but I don’t know how they can stand having the Magic crowd there multiple nights a week.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ours wasn’t, no. 40k wasn’t a big thing there though, so that’s probably why :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

Theres another tabletop game store in the world that also sells disc golf stuff? Our local one is pretty sizable and seems to be doing well. Plus I'm pretty sure they do way more game nights than just Magic; I think they've got the 40k guys and D&D going too at minimum. Whenever I go there there is always a group setting up to do something in the game room. They're also in a prime location being fairly close to a large tech nerd/art college.

Never understood why the corner of disc golf stuff but it seems to sell so why not?

CFG? It’s been forever since I was there, I moved 2 years ago :(

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

BigDave posted:

They could probably be saved if they leaned hard into the custom PC crowd and turned each store into a mini Micro Center. Funko Pops ain't gonna do poo poo, but becoming a hub for computer nerds might.

Isn’t that how you get a Fry’s? :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Probably too busy paying terrorists for stolen artifacts again, instead of paying their employees.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Since we are talking game magazines , RIP Nintendo Power. 10 year old me loved it.

:same:

I think they did an article for Super Metroid that somehow had a spread of the entire worldmap of Zebes, and ~10yo me loving loved it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Oh he will, it’ll just be on to Twitter instead.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ofecks posted:

How's Dish Network or whatever it's called doing, then? My parents have had Dish for 15 years now. They record literally everything they want to watch and are usually months behind keeping up with it, but for Boomers needing a TV feed (and mostly without commercials, they just skip past them), seems pretty ideal.

From a century ago February:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...00%20in%202018.

quote:

In the fourth quarter, Dish, led by chairman Charlie Ergen, lost about 100,000 traditional pay TV subscribers, while in the fourth quarter of 2018, the company had lost 386,000. It also lost about 94,000 Sling TV subscribers in the final quarter of 2019, compared with a year-ago gain of 50,000.

I didn't realize Sling TV was theirs.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

A lot of rich people think they're more important than they actually are

Roger Ailes famously had reinforced glass in his Fox office because he was afraid of terrorists firing an RPG at his window.

Then he purchased a mansion and all of the properties surrounding it so that he could see any terrorist attacks coming.

In the end, he could never beat what Ailed him.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If there’s no chance of a man in his underwear falling out of the ceiling, what is even the point?

https://www.al.com/news/2018/11/underwear-clad-man-falls-through-waffle-house-ceiling-in-alabama.html

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

90's grunge/rock band Local H.

Bound for the floor graveyard

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I swear I have not seen anyone drink one of these in my entire life

https://twitter.com/wsj/status/1317074314626203649?s=21

I had a teacher in high school (early 2000’s :corsair: ) that drank a can or two per day.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Any crstabshack, but you knew what you were getting into when you went there.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

redgubbinz posted:

I don't know, but if you end up breaking it you should probably run.

I feel like I should get a tetanus booster just from looking at it :stonk:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Twitter may soon be thread-relevant, their shares dropping 3.6% in the time since they permabanned Donald Trump's account.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

To the surprise of nobody and the glee of everyone, Parler is also potentially thread-relevant!

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/johnpaczkowski/amazon-parler-aws

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I just saw a commercial for Sling TV, who I remember being posted in this thread as circling the drain. Are they still dying, or did they manage to find the dark magics that would sustain them somehow?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

duck trucker posted:

Shake Shack is fine but the hard-on people seem to have for it is perplexing to me. It's not that good for what it costs.

Same, but NC and Cookout.

i felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if the NC thread collectively cried out against this perceived blasphemy. Not as bad as saying “I don’t like bbq”, but they felt it nonetheless

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

They just opened up a White Castle here in Orlando, and it's the first White Castle in Florida in 50 years or something. For almost two months now it consistently has hour+ waits. For the first month, often two hours. It's hilarious to me because White Castle is only good if it's late night, you're drunk or high, and you can get it within minutes in the drive through. I can't imagine what people are thinking after waiting that long for garbage stoner food.

It’s Florida, you need to be drunk or high to live there (source: lived in Homestead for a year).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There used to be a Krystal near the airport in Charlotte, NC…but I have no idea if it’s still there. It’s the only one I can recall ever being here though.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rick posted:

Stocks are up in general today but some of the meme stocks of the summer (AMC/Nokia/Gamestop) are way down today. My conclusion there is that the normal person is bailing but of course I am just making this up on the spot and know nothing.

But what do you charge for your analysis? WHATS YOUR SECRET?!!!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Speaking of Long John Silvers, how the gently caress are they not in this thread as a discussion topic? I’ve never seen anyone at any of them I’ve ever come across.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I was expecting to see a list of assorted Russian airlines and banks in this thread by now.

Idk much about finance, but when 2 of your largest companies and one of your big banks get turned into penny stocks overnight, I assume things are not good

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/gazprom-lukoil-and-sberbank-are-now-penny-stocks-as-russian-companies-collapse-in-london-11646227312

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

That way if they run out of Mountain Dew, they can implement Surge pricing.

Nice :dadjoke:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ofecks posted:

There's a Microcenter in my state but I'd have to drive 2 hours to get there. A long, long time ago I lived much closer to it and it was great.

Did the problems with Newegg start after 2017? I bought all of the components in my current gaming PC from them and had zero issues. Granted, everything was NIB and worked perfectly. Maybe RMAs and/or buying stuff used, open-box, refurbished, or from a 3rd party seller is the problem?

My laptop I got from them in 2020 is still solid, despite abusing it thoroughly with Doom: Eternal, Subnautica, and others.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/TechCrunch/status/1514302907277004801

At this point I'm pretty sure any remaining employee is holding out for even better severance packages.

Why quit when you can look for jobs on the company dime? :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Send Elon Musk goatse via DM or something and go out in a blaze of shitposting glory.

:hmmyes:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

JetBlue is apparently buying Spirit. I hope they light the company’s name on fire in effegy.

I wonder if anyone is in low spirits over the deal :dadjoke:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Kohl's, too, seems not to be doing too well, which was also a surprise for me.

Me too, but after some googling it seems like they’ve been in dire straights since the pandemic landed.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/kohl-could-see-potential-store-183605656.html

30 store leases expiring in the next 2 years (not a big percentage, to be fair), plans to downsize their store footprints, launching “Sephora at Kohl’s”, etc. if any of those stores are on the underperforming list, I’d expect to see an axe swinging that way pretty soon.

quote:

“Kohl’s is aware that it has more selling space than it needs and plans to open smaller stores,” said David Swartz, equity analyst for Morningstar Research Services LLC.

Someone outside the company recognizes the problem, we’ll see if they become fodder for this thread though. At least it sounds like they aren’t being bought out anymore?

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/2022/07/01/kohls-no-longer-talks-sell-company-but-pressure-remains/7785915001/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

He WAS living the high life... momentarily

Sounds like he made an impact inside and outside the company :dadjoke: