Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

Sounds like a good time to discipline 20-40% of your WFH force, followed by their direct supervisors, and terminate the most egregious examples. Not throw a hissy fit and ban the whole thing.

That's way too hard and would probably cost more in the short term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Murdering the rich has never not worked.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Citation needed.

Like maybe the French Revolution and.....?

Well they revolved didnt they? Check mate liberal

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Raldikuk posted:

(it's actually above average for size, but hey).

At least thats what the japanese tell themselves

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

you should all sleep on a floor of dirt and moss like a animal

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Trabant posted:

Look at fancy man over here with his moss.

god drat you

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Scamming big business is morally right.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

https://twitter.com/btcking555/status/1070068239542206465

Crypto is crashing and taking down all the big miners with them

Good.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Remember when being open from 7 to 11 meant you were unique.

7 hours a day, 11 days a week

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

if safety was important, the free market would provide it

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I personally want to have my cake and eat it too; I’d buy everything online if I could but I also want there to be physical stores

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The cat was a class traitor.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

It's a small market, but people forget there's a world of stuff going on away from civilization, where people still need poo poo to kill time other than masturbate. I spend several months a year on a research vessel, for example, and though we do have a pretty solid internet connection, it's $20k/mo for a speed that would be considered far below average on shore, shared between like 60 people. Ships that aren't government research vessels mostly don't even have that. And remote mining/drilling operations on land. Forward military installations too, probably. But we get by on physical media out in these places. And when that's not available, pirating up while you're back in the world.

Good argument for high speed global wifi.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cum cum Cum cum cum cum Cum cum.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Just like gin!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pick posted:

let me ask you a question: are there consequences for stuff?

there's your answer.

in this hell world? not for people on the executive level at boeing.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh good, now we’ll get even more crap in GameStop than before

Last game I bought from them was ME:Andromeda when it went on sale for like $10

Last time I went to gamestop was in like 2013 to sell my 360. The guy offered me 250 NOK (with a resell price of 1500+!)so I just gave it away to the first kid I saw instead.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BUT MY CONVENIENCE

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I really feel like they dug their own grave on this one as the prices were absolutely ridiculous. I get that I'm gonna be gouged going to the theater (which is the main reason I basically no longer go) but their pricing just didn't make sense.

Honestly I don't understand why movie theaters are even a thing anymore. I'd gladly pay to stream Endgame or whatever on its release day in my living room.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

stevewm posted:

There are systems out there for this, but its expensive... https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/08/red-carpet-films-first-run-movie-rentals/

$15k+ for the hardware, assuming you can pass the application process. And $1500 to $3000 for each rental. Bonus: It was created by CEO of Ticketmaster.. So I am sure there are probably $20k worth of extra hidden fees you don't find out about until checkout.

That's very bad and definitely guillotine-tier capitalism, but I was thinking more like, pay Disney or whoever a modest sum directly to stream whatever on its release day once. How many millions of people across this hellcursed globe can't afford the cost of a movie ticket and a visit to the concessions stand?How many millions of people are even close enough to a movie theater to feasibly manage to get there without incurring further costs? And how many of those people can scrounge up 10-20 to instead just see the movie in their living room? Probably a whole lot.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

The same day PPV/Cinema releases have been tried before, I don't think it did very well because people really weren't clamoring to watch Tower Heist at home for $60.

That's a dumb argument against it though. I'd personally choose death over paying 60 loving dollars to see Tower Heist.

kumba posted:

Disney+ will be out this year, and there's no way they're not going to try and capitalize on exactly that

I imagine it will be like Amazon Prime; pay the $6.99 for Disney+ and get access to their archive of old poo poo, and then a la carte purchases for $10ish to rent a brand new movie (or maybe not opening day but the next week etc)

I would be incredibly surprised if they didn't do that

Yeah if Disney+ takes a step in the right direction, could be I might not actively hate it. As much. There's a service called Viaplay here in Norway which some times kind of does the same thing, offering new(-ish) movies fairly soon after the theatrical release. But not often and not with the AAA releases.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm not making an argument, that's what they did. They released Tower Heist in theaters and on streaming the same day. The streaming was $60 per viewing.

I mean it's not a wonder it did badly when they used Tower Heist as their test bed at that price point.

:lol: that's so hilariously inept it makes me think it was done deliberately.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

If Disney tried to release something like Endgame in theaters as well as streaming rentals they’d be blacklisted by every theater chain.

That’s the only problem Netflix is having. They want their streaming movies considered for awards, but to do that they need a limited release in theaters. They’ve been blocked by so many chains that they’ve considered buying a small theater chain specifically for releasing their movies for Oscar consideration. Amazon manages to avoid that problem by releasing its films in theaters first and then on streaming X number of months later, but Netflix wants those movies in their user libraries immediately.

So yeah, it’s not happening anytime soon. At least we get some movies available for purchase after 3 or so months.

Sounds like the whole system is due for a shakeup!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My 6 year old son told me that star wars is for adults and is not fun for children lol.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

American banking was one of the bigger shocks as a european coming to live there. Actual physical paychecks, practically non-existent online banking and transfers taking days. Here I can instantly transfer money or pay bills, with no fees attached, online on my phone.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Brb, starting a company where I take a van from house to house and tell people what show or movie to stream each night instead of spending all night scrolling through the options.

Please

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My little town had two competing video rentals back in the day. One was cool with good inventory, reasonably priced snacks and some arcade games even, and was run by a good dude. The other had like no stock, overpriced snacks and was run by a huge perv who hired any attractive girl aged 16-21 to walk around the store all day for him to look at. Guess which one survived until 2010

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Anyone that wasn't expecting that, being one of the main selling points of legalization, would be foolish.

It’s called being a capitalist

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

:hmmyes: sustainable capitalism

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

I wasn't trying to talk my way out of anything, and only clarified because people here have the reading comprehension of stoned toddlers. Glad to help y'all feel better about yourselves for a minute though.

Just stop dude :stare:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I will never understand why Pepsi retooled their logo, the old Pepsi Globe was the perfect logo

Capitalism is designed to protect wealthy failsons so whenever one of them Kramers into a marketing office with a really good idea they have to pursue it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

For anyone wondering Norway has steadily moved towards the american model of society due to our hardcore capitalist governments over the last couple of decades. Austerity! Brown people bad! Tax cuts for billionaires (that are paid for by increasing taxes for poor people) good!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

True but they’re sneaky about it. There are all kinds of fees and taxes that disproportionally hits low income households that have been jacked up. Because job creators

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Volmarias posted:

We don't raise taxes on the poor as much as run up the debt then wait for the Democrats to be in power then scream about how the nation cannot afford all this wasteful spending so the budget for social services simply MUST be cut!!!

The Two Santas Theory

Oh social services are being cut too for being too expensive.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

gently caress everyone who works for an insurance company.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

turn on you are monitor

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The people running the economy sure don’t.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Acute Grill posted:

Ghiuls currently benefitting from the status quo warn against improving society.

Luckily ghouls are weak to fire.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

pentyne posted:

And yet somehow where people don't have unions they don't even have benefits like from the 1950s, payroll issues are constant, and the idea of raises get you laughed out of the room.

Unions are on thin ice, as 40 years of anti-labor GOP has convinced voters that all unions are greedy blood sucking leeches that do nothing but cost jobs, make things too expensive, and will spin endless tales of the GM plant worker who makes $90k/yr for 4 days of work pressing a button on an assembly line.

Look at what happened to the teachers union in Kansas and the bakers union at Hostess. The moment you stand your ground against borderline illegal treatment you run the risk of either being dismantled illegally until a supreme court can step in or the company claims bankruptcy and stops paying out anything.

So what you’re saying is we should destroy capitalism and its defenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Same thing happened with FetLife a year or two ago. The credit card companies basically gave them a list of demands and that's when the groups containing snuff, animal cruelty, etc started disappearing.

That seems good actually.