Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So Albertsons is a grocery store in my area, but they have closed a ton of their stores, citing low business. But it's a circular path: they close more stores, less people are willing to drive further to use that chain, and just go with the one closest. I only know two people who drive 20+ miles to go to an organic-only store. Most everyone, don't they just use the grocer closest to them? Is there noticed brand loyalty when the closest store is now 30 miles away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I used to work in a print shop that did a lot of Wells Fargo printing, and every four months or so we'd get termination packets. Like, over a thousand of them to print, staple, make all nice and neat in pretty envelopes. WF either had a lot of bad employees or a gently caress ton of temps they would hire and fire three times a year.

Me, I always hated those bastards because when I had to deliver said packets, they, in a 40 floor highrise, refused to have a mailroom, so I'd have to share the single working freight elevator with the paper shredder dudes, the water delivery dudes, and every rear end in a top hat who couldn't find one of the six working elevators up to their soulsucking job, up and down almost every floor to deliver the poo poo. And likely because of the high turnover, finding anyone on any floor was insanely difficult; one day Jane West would be on floor 18, the next week she would be on 4, the next her poo poo would be at 40 behind armed guards at the elevator drop point. The entire building seemed to be falling apart, but by god you could get a credit card fast?

I remember asking someone why there was no centralized mailroom for a loving highrise, and was told it was an issue of security, because a few of the floors were rented out to other businesses. Wow, because it would be so hard for a mailroom to deliver to everywhere in the building? Or to skip a few floors?

Anyone else been to their local 99 Cent Store lately? Mine has dropped the idea of being a dollar store and has lots of poo poo ranging from $2 to loving $20. I guess that the signs say $19.99 "it's still 99 cents!" makes it better? Does anyone actually go to the dollar store, see a lovely $20 Inside Out doll and decide, why yes, I need a talking Anger doll!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

Blade 2 is better. Blade 1 peaked with the opening rave scene and never quite got to that point again. Blade 2 kept building up the action until it climaxed with the kickass fight between Blade and Nomak.

Blade had the really dumb plot idea of turning all humans into vampires. Because gently caress ever drinking again, right? WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU GOING TO EAT, FROST?

I am seeing a lot of new strip malls being opened in Phoenix...often across the street from an old abandoned one.

Anyone else have Albertson's as a local grocer? It's weird, because they seem to not realize by having less stores, they don't reach so many customers. No one is going to drive 2 miles to hit a certain grocery store, but I see tons of ads for them, lots on the radio, lots of coupons....and I think I know where maybe 1 is anymore.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

What part of Phoenix are you referring to? I can't think of any strip malls being built near abandoned ones. Are you talking Phoenix or "The Greater Phoenix Area" (Not actually Phoenix.)?

Albertsons is overpriced, but they have the highest quality fried chicken out of the Phoenix grocery stores. If you're near one of the two WinCo stores, shop there as often as possible. They're the best.

The 'greater' area. Some places have a single still-rented out place amid a death of the strip mall. I don't understand, on another level, how the gently caress Metrocenter Mall is even alive still.

Nope, not near a Winco. I wish I was. But the closest is about 10 miles from me, where there is a Fry's within walking distance. I don't know many people who would travel just for groceries when a close-enough store is close by.

Edit: poo poo, I forgot Fry's Electronic's. There's like maybe 2 of those here, and everything else is Best Buy. The first time I saw a Fry's Electronics I thought it was weird a grocery store needed a warehouse for its tiny charger and cell phone selection.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 13:20 on Apr 17, 2017

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Now that I think about it, as someone who buys very little variety in clothing, I never see people in clothing areas of stores save for a few times a year. School uniforms, Halloween (does that count?), etc. Clothes stores in the mall might be filled with lookers and nothing else, because gently caress, $30 for a shirt?

Me, I really really hate the forced cheery upselling when you check out in some places. "Oh hai we also have printer paper on sale for 20% off, and USB drives are 5% off!" "Would you like to buy an oversized lollypop?" No, and loving no. You want customers to spend more money? Pay more cashiers, more registers means less lines! Pay more stockers, more poo poo on shelves means it sells! But no, that's dumb business sense from a goon. Slash wages, force surveys, drive people to Amazon because at least you don't see the disgruntled people there!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's been years since I actually looked for kids' clothes (nieces and nephews are all near teens now so they have distinct what-they-will-wear. Amazon gift card is always good.) but when did the transition from "ew you got that from GoodWill/thrift shop?" go to thrift shops are cool and acceptable? I know there was that song about thrift shops that went crazy years ago, but when did the actual switch happen?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Does this mean that the hit 90's comedy Mallrats will be unrelatable to the next generation?! Will my niece and nephew sit down to watch it and ask me, "Uncle Solice, why are those people just sitting in that weird looking airport?"

Two of my nieces were shocked when I explained that yes, there used to be arcades like the one in Wreck-it Ralph.

I don't know if circling is the right word, but every PetsMart I've gone into lately has been very empty in terms of fish and reptiles. The one I used to work at (and opened years ago) did a remodel...and tore out half their fish tanks. Less fish, less variety, less money incoming.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

Petsmart just spent 3 billion expanding its online presence and people spend massive amounts of money on their dogs, so probably not.

poo poo though. Pets.com went belly up trying to mail people kibble and in 2017 Amazon can get me a 30lb competitively priced bag of Blue Buffalo tomorrow. So maybe Petsmart is hosed.

The dog thing I get. There are dozens of dog bouquets and specialty stores. But for other animals, it seems everything is shrinking. I order fish online during the cooler months, but most people would balk at overnighting (and paying for) the shipping. When half the tanks are empty, something looks weird.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

I went to the future of malls today. Converted warehouse space intown for all the White hipsters moving there. You've got offices and apartments on the upper floors and boutique shops and music venues on the bottom. And most important, since all that lost retail money has gone into restaurants - a massive hip and trendy food court.

It was actually pretty nice. Most of the place is dog friendly so people just walk around with their pets and spend way too much on food. The stores all seemed to be benefiting from the foot traffic, except for the J.Crew - which looked like a ghost town.

But yeah, this model is nigh unreplicable for the vast majority of our soon to be retail wasteland. And I still felt dirty buying some new Field Note folios because I knew for a fact I could find them online for 30% cheaper.

That actually sounds pretty cool. I can't imagine it's cheap to rent an apartment though!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

shadowvine118 posted:

The only reasons I can imagine going to one of those pet places is if you wanted to use their grooming/training services, they had a special cat and dog adoption day, or you wanted to buy one of the small animals/fish/spiders they sell.

How popular are small animals/reptiles/spiders/birds as pets these days?

Small mammals (mostly hamsters, gently caress hamsters they are overall poo poo pets for kids) are great for people who want something cute but don't have the space or time for a cat or dog. Most every kid wants a hamster. They don't tend to live long either.

For snakes and inverts, I'd imagine it varies. Most reptile keepers will buy nothing from a chain, but most people starting out will. And like hamsters, parents who have kids who want a bearded dragon will settle for a $5 green anole that will likely have a short life before it drops dead from stress/lack of food/poo poo habitat.

When I worked there, birds sold very rarely. People might get a parakeet or two, but the larger conures or parrots, never.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Winco, Costco, Safeway, Trader Joe's. When these exist, why the gently caress would you touch food from a wal-mart.

There are two Trader Joe's around me, and the closest is 20 miles away.
Safeway is a mile away but always looks like a set from Season 1 of The Walking Dead.
Costco doesn't always have the poo poo I need.
Closest Winco is 10 miles away.

There's a Kroger almost next door so that's where 99% of my grocery shopping happens. The only poo poo I get from Walmart is if we're out of rice or something like that, and the day-old french bread for the mice. Always smells so good in the spare bedroom if every mouse cage has a day-old loaf in it.

McDonalds now offers Uber delivery in my city. I wonder how hot the food really stays.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AvesPKS posted:

Is this really​ the important question? If it stays hot for an hour is it still fine?

I mean, pizza guys have their pizza totes, right? Would Uber do deliveries one at a time or take a load of them like pizza guys do?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
One of the few marine fish shops in Phoenix is closing its doors. Not surprising, Aquatouch used to be insanely great with freshwater, and salt, and awesome planted tanks. Then the main freshwater guy quit, almost all their rare plants died before a new guy came on, and quit, then another, and another, and it's been a rotating door. The owners give the reason they are retiring, but the word is more that they're closing up due to poo poo sales, which is because of the poo poo customer service and the lack of good stock.

I've seen a few Walmarts with Subways in them. Only one with a Burger King.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There's a soap store, not Bath and Body Works, in two malls I can remember, where some chick stands with a loving platter right at the door and offers you a soap sample.

They seriously expect you to take a flick shard of soap as a sample. The gently caress do I do with this? You can at least eat the pretzel sample!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have never seen a slow Chipotle.

I will state that if Niantic fucks up the Pokemon Go event tomorrow (servers down, lovely lag, etc) they might be down the drain with one circle.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

The last time I was in a McDonald's (late 2012), they had removed the play place and turned it into an attempted lounge. Considering it still had a ceiling at the second story level, it still felt like a McDonald's just with quirky furnature.

And this poo poo is bad for the arches. I've been to a few McDonalds that used to have themes, like fish or dinosaurs. gently caress, the latter's Playplace was all dinosaurs, there were loving statues kids could sit on for photos, there was a loving incubator setup in the lobby area with little dino robots for the kids to watch.

A few years back all the stores got a remodel and now they all look the same. Lots of Playplaces have been knocked out for pianos and random lounge poo poo.

Parents with kids don't go to Mcdonald's to hear a piano man. They go for cheap food and a place for Aiden and Mackenzeee to run around for a while.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Years ago I bought my mom the FunkoPup of the Snowman from Rudolph. Bumble is just happy.

I picked up a Smaug as well to try and rig a shoulder-sitting dragon toy. No one told me Smaug is a loving foot tall and has demon eyes.

Lastly some years ago I found an Ursula on HotTopic.com on clearance, and bought it for a niece. I ended up forgetting about it and it's some kind of rarity now.

The fact there are no Pokemon Funko makes me sad.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The Lego Movie helped a lot, didn't it? Lego was loving everywhere. Now the Batman Lego Movie, that one could have been a loving short.

I found a kinda cute monkey toy the other day, called a Fingerling. Some cheap robot doll that makes cute noises and hugs your finger. Seeing as my friend loves pygmy marmosets and will never ever see one alive, I bought it as a gag Xmas gift. I went online to see if there were any other animals (dragons would be loving cool) and....they're out of stock almost everywhere online and Amazon resellers have jacked the $15 toy to over 50.

Is this how Hatchimals started?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
For me, over than the Batman movie wasn't fun or funny or even really good to watch, the real pisser was that the voice of Harley Quinn should have been the lady who voiced her in Batman TAS.

Ninjago at least looks funny from the trailers.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I went with Tuft and Needle, a local mattress place, for my mattress. They were on Amazon too, but at least with the local free delivery, if something hadn't worked out, they would have come back to get it, rather than me trying to ship a mattress back to Amazon....somehow.

Here is something I don't get: other than a small selection in Party City, I have not seen any kind of poo poo for Pokemon by ways of new toys or various add-ons for the Pokemon Go or any other games that came out recently. Yes, I know Nintendo doesn't own POGO, but it seems like a gold mine no one taps into.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, fancy for kids' parties was Peter Piper Pizza. gently caress that Chuck E Cheese place, I'd never eat pizza cooked by a rat!

I still don't get why McDonald's can't do all-day lunch too. I want loving fries at 8am!

Amazon. So a year or so back I applied and ended up on a list for a temp spot at Amazon warehouse, through a temp agency. They keep calling me now, and sending out mass emails trying to recruit people, so either they really need more help, or people aren't loving responding to crazy work for $12.25 an hour.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Could you maybe think of a reason why an online retailer might need a lot of extra staff working in their warehouses this time of year?

In past years, there was a single email and text sent out about hiring. This year, it's been every single week. So either they severely need a lot more people or something is off in their hiring practice.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else get the speech how your company is going to be passing out bonuses because of the tax cut on the businesses? I'm pretty sure Walmart announced something like that, their employees would get a grand each (if they've worked for over 20 years and everyone else gets $100) but gently caress making wages better, here's a one-time deal.

How the gently caress is Sam's Club closing so many stores?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm shocked they lasted this long. Every single time I've walked past a Claire's literally anywhere in the past 15 years it's had two customers in it at most. Usually they've just been empty except for a very, very bored looking cashier.

Ditto.

There was a Claire's by me who ended up closing because they had opened one at a new outlet mall two miles away. All the poo poo was marked down to 50 cents, so I bought about 10 years worth of gifts for my nieces. Serves me right, now one of them loves Hot Topic and the other doesn't wear much jewelry.

I used to do a ton of online shopping for Claire's when all their holiday poo poo went for $2 each or something. Hats, gloves, Halloween decor...the past few years they haven't done the mass clearance, so gently caress it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/has-the-smartphone-destroyed-a-generation/534198/

There are some weird characteristics being seen in children around the time smartphones hit a critical mass (2010/2011). Some aren't necessarily 'bad', like teens waiting longer to have sex. But they're also waiting longer to date or get a driver's license and depression is up.

It's not uniform of course. I'm noticing my rapidly aging teenage daughters using their phones less as they get older and find it's more fun to go roller skating or drink at parties. And it's possible these kids would otherwise be obsessing over anime or something equally unhealthy had they not had iPhones. Buuuuuut, it's looking odd.

I noticed this with my niece and nephew. Yeah they love video games and they each got a cell phone, but they rarely text and never use social media. Another niece has Instagram and she uses it only to follow a boy band.

I remember last year I hit a motherload and found Lego Dimensions at the dollar store. I bought a ton of them and set them aside for all the kids' birthdays, and when I sent to another nephew, I was told after the fact he 'doesn't really do toys anymore.' Well I know Dimensions is a video game, but the look on the kid's face when he saw 7 sets was amazing. He does play with them and the game but usually just as Legos.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I still maintain election night, Clinton, Trump, and the NRA were all screaming NO NO NO over and over.

Me, I don't get why there isn't a ton more Pokemon poo poo out with the Go game out still.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Clitch posted:

Will FedEx not let you redirect it to one of their stores? I used to do that when I ordered something expensive I couldn't be home to receive.

Most of the time yes, but I think it depends on how the sender inputs the order.

Speaking as a delivery driver, I'd like to add to the fact that often I don't get a building number with an apartment number. So if I'm lucky I might get the address, with apartment 12, but when there's six or seven buildings at this apartment lot, most of the time I don't have time to drive around the entire Place trying desperately to find apartment 12, and bonus points if some of the doors aren't numbered or you access them by parking and walking around the back side.

Some places do allow us to drop off at the main office, but it depends on the apartment complex.

I also tend to do a lot of deliveries to a military base. That's one place, where I feel severely, that there should be a main drop off point for all carriers, because the simple amount of insane security procedures you need to go through to drop off one little envelope is simply insane. Bonus points for sometimes having to wait up to an hour to get through the security checkpoints.

I've often wondered how the Uber Eats guys deal with stuff like that. Is that even a really good business model, because it's awesome is fast food delivery service would be, I can't see the food still being hot when it got to you!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

Those stores look like that on purpose.

Case in point, Wal-Mart tried to make it's stores look more orderly and stop putting too much merchandise in the aisles and customers bitched about it, because then it didn't look like a low-cost leader. A clean and orderly Burlington Coat Factory or T.J. Maxx would make you suddenly doubt their commitment to bargains.

There's a Chinese restaurant near me with an ad on the strip mall electronic billboard and it has misspelled 'Delicious' as 'Delicous' for six months now. I have no doubt scores of people have walked in to tell them that, but they don't change it. Because you know the restaurant is authentic if they don't know how to spell English words.

I believe both of these things 100%. I bet that Chinese place also makes sure all the servers speak broken English too in public.

That said I know a few pet shops, non big box ones, that take this to the extreme and it's just sad and uncomfortable in the entire place.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yep, plus they have an awesome amount of weird bulk foods. Want half a pound of Mac-n-cheese powder? Grab a scoop and fill up a clear bag!

Wait what? Seriously?

I might need to find a Winco.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
99 cent only stores recently started stocking poo poo that ranges between $3-15. It's like, you are a loving DOLLAR STORE WHY WOULD I PAY NORMAL RETAIL FOR THIS poo poo?

Just a little bitter that the one by me used to open at 7, so I could grab a quick trip before work, but with the prices changing and they open at 8 now, gently caress it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: $200? I'm pretty sure the $10 one down at Kroger will suffice just fine!

:same:

There's a couple good places near where I live too. Problem is most people in America are stupid and think that Starbucks is the pinnacle of all coffee ever because it's from Seattle, and people from Seattle are mythical coffee blacksmiths!

I am now seeing a hipster in flannel, his moustache still coiffed perfectly, bent over an anvil with a tiny hammer as he beats out coffee beans into the fine powder, to mix them with flavor crystals, then reforge them into perfect beans, while electrodance music plays faintly in the background.

Dutch Brothers has taken over parts of AZ, and I hate them, not because I don't like coffee, but because their layouts always involve a traffic orgy, and it usually blocks off the street or a parking lot.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
At this point, why doesn't Amazon start offering Internet service? Or Google spread more with their fiber?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Similar here, where we show up to do a pickup, and the lines of communication have failed: the person who inputs the order never calls ahead to verify stock, the person who should pull the order never does (or never starts to get it together) so when we show up, a 3 minute window becomes 20 or 30 minutes. All while we're on a countdown with a ton of other orders. We used to be able to reschedule the pickups, but corporate has taken that away rather than deal with the mess of rescheduling Every loving Pickup because perhaps 1 out of every 15 are ready.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Years ago before Albertsons closed, I did print work for a corp shill for Albertsons, and he proudly showed me their new idea of customer retention: LOYALTY CARDS. Keep in mind this was about a year after everyone else had them and people were sick of being offered new cards.

The two Sprouts closest to me have had iffy food. One was openly selling strawberries that were white with fungus (several containers, not just one off), and the other I bought some mixed baby greens from, but when I got the box home, I found the entire inside was rotten. When I called the store to see if I could come back to exchange it, the manager threw a shitfit that I had to come back TONIGHT and they'd have to verify all kinds of poo poo to insure I wasn't trying to scam them. Over $5 of produce. So never went back.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So Petco bought Foster and Smith a year or two ago, and now surprise surprise, they're closing it down.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Gymboree is gone now.

I always wondered how so many kids clothing places stayed open. I mean, kids outgrow clothes so fast that eventually you get hand me downs or shop Goodwill.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In terms of delivery to apartment complexes, there really really needs to be a main office with nothing but lockers for each apartment, so boxes can be tossed in and locked, rather than left outside.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Much better than the areas I see with a single mailbox on an ancient post where there's no lock, the maildude just opens and tosses in, so anyone can come by and get your mail.

Did something happen in Kroger recently, as in the last year or so? At my local one they stopped carrying a bunch of stuff and management all switched over and lots of regular cashiers disappeared.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Did Sobe water just become vitaminwater? I miss my mango melon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Went to a Burger King today because they're doing the Detective Pikachu tie-ins, and the manager told me BK doesn't do toys in the kids meals, it's all cookies these days. I guess I should not have been surprised, McDonalds always has the toys on display, I haven't seen poo poo in BK in years (but I also rarely eat there).

Maybe this is why Burger King is almost always empty when I drive by but Mcdonalds always has a drive-thru hell.