Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I started reading this last night. A couple random thoughts from someone who doesn't read much anymore(sadly, trying to fix that). Also even when I read more the only ancient Greek things I read were the Iliad and the Odyssey.
1) Cyrus is kind of a manipulative dude, basically slowly pulling the mercenaries into this battle. I kind of half wonder if they would have gotten even a fraction of what he promised had he actually won.
2) Reading the army descriptions before the big battle, it was funny/startling to hear that the Great King's army was 1.2 million. Wikipedia says 40,000 at Cunaxa so I guess that's Xenophon basically saying "They had a shitton of guys." Would his readers actually have believed that number, or would they have understood as "Their army was really really big"?
3) There was a Greek admiral named Pythagoras. I wasn't expecting it to be the Pythagoras I'd heard of and, unsurprisingly, it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread