Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
What makes a sacrifice unfavorable anyway? I think it's funny ever step of the way they are making sacrifices to see what direction to take. They make them in public, in private, and sometimes won't move even when they are starving because of the sacrifices. The have ships brining in animals to sacrifice as part of the war supplies. And to top it off, the guy who interprets the sacrifices rats out Xenophon's questions that he sacrifices over. It's such a large part of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Shout-out for the Zelazny reference

I started digging around online and it's surprisingly difficult to find information on ancient Greek divination by entrails. I think the presumption is you slaughter the animal and if it's shot through with cancer that's a big "no."

I did find this incredibly silly site attempting to apply etruscan Haruspexy (which we apparently have records of through Cicero) to the ritual sacrifice of . . . an egg. http://corvallistoday.com/Europe/italy_rome/etruscan.htm
Thanks, that is interesting,. They put such importance on their rituals. And boy, if you get an eagle flying overhead, while you have a good sacrifice, well get going!

The speeches were so good. They're ready to stone him to death because some idiot won't pay them, and he just let's them have it. He does get that result from everyone though, and everyone always has to admit he's right, there is just no denying it. Oh you're going to stone me? Aren't you the guy I trusted to carry a injured soldier and you tried to bury him alive? And by the way, didn't I come back here when I could have just gone home, not for pay, but just for your sake? And so on. It's pretty satisfying. Thanks for the recommendation, it was a fun read.

• Locked thread