Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Everything but the wordmark shouts "too much effort". Welcome to American soccer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
just when I thought I could put away my Cosmos scarf for good, they come back again from the dead.
Bastards have no regard for anyone's feelings.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Everything but the wordmark shouts "too much effort". Welcome to American soccer!
Almost every single thing to do with modern American soccer can be summed up with "too much effort".

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Lladre posted:

just when I thought I could put away my Cosmos scarf for good, they come back again from the dead.
Bastards have no regard for anyone's feelings.

Crazy Ted posted:

Almost every single thing to do with modern American soccer can be summed up with "too much effort".

The classics remain classics for a reason, goons.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
SF Deltas signed Danny Szetela after the cosmos folded. They sold him back to the cosmos today.
I hope the Deltas do well and fill the Rayo-shaped hole in my heart

https://twitter.com/sfdeltas/status/824725941574197248

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

So now Phoenix enters the MLS expansion race; this would make 11 markets now. Makes sense as Phoenix is largest TV market not in MLS (12th), after Tampa/St. Pete (11th).

quote:

MLS invites Phoenix group to make expansion application

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-soccer/story/3046979/mls-invites-phoenix-group-to-make-expansion-application

Phoenix is the latest city to enter the race for an MLS expansion team, joining a list of 10 other markets after the league invited the Arizona capital's USL club to submit an application.

Owners of Phoenix Rising FC met with MLS officials in New York last week to discuss the possibility of moving to the top flight.

MLS said in December that 10 other cities were competing for four expansion slots. Applications are due by Jan. 31 for the first two teams, which will be announced later this year and start play by 2020.

The club was founded in 2014 as Arizona United SC and was rebranded in November after being sold in August to a group led by businessman Berke Bakay. With the sale came plans for a new soccer-specific stadium, a key factor in MLS's decisions.

Also again the MLS expansion process threatens lower league teams:

quote:

Could MLS pursuit leave Charlotte with no pro soccer?

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/01/26/could-mls-pursuit-leave-charlotte-with-no-pro.html

Owners of the Charlotte Independence say the minor-league soccer franchise might move after the upcoming season because of uncertainty created over a Major League Soccer bid. Their concerns grew Thursday after Mecklenburg County approved using $43.75 million of taxpayer money for an MLS stadium, although the plans for Charlotte's bid were put in jeopardy shortly after that vote when City Council delayed consideration of its share of the funding plan.

quote:

NASL Targets Chicago, Detroit, Orange County, and San Diego for Expansion

http://fiftyfive.one/2017/01/exclusive-nasl-interim-commissioner-rishi-sehgal-talks-expansion/

quote:

Tampa Bay Rowdies put up digital billboard in New York City's Times Square

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/25/tampa-bay-rowdies-put-digital-billboard-new-york-citys-times-square

quote:

Tampa Bay Rowdies Take MLS Campaign to NYC With Times Square Billboard

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/tampa-bay-rowdies-take-mls-campaign-to-nyc-with-times-square-billboard-57324/

quote:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPtDgxsFWhQ/

jakenutting - Instead of going straight home after work I went to Times Square to see the #MLS2StPete billboard. Don't tell me I don't love the @tampabayrowdies

quote:

Kriseman meets with MLB, MLS in New York City

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/baybuzz/kriseman-meets-with-mlb-mls-in-new-york-city/2311038

Mayor Rick Kriseman traveled to New York City Thursday to make his city’s case to keep one major league franchise and bring another to the Sunshine City.

Kriseman met with Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber first for about an hour at the commissioner’s office.

They discussed the Tampa Bay Rowdies’ bid to join MLS. Garber, the mayor said, was impressed with the region’s television market and population base. Kriseman emphasized St. Petersburg’s demographics---a city getting younger and more diverse---as a a good fit for MLS, whose fan base skews the same way.

Afterward, Kriseman visited Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred at MLB headquarters to discuss the Tampa Bay Rays ongoing stadium search.

Also happy Gasparilla tomorrow (Sat. Jan. 28th) to all the drunken pirate fam in Tampa.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Do over Ham posted:

Also happy Gasparilla tomorrow (Sat. Jan. 28th) to all the drunken pirate fam in Tampa.

Happy that it will be my last Gasparilla spent on Davis Islands after 13 years of them.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I hope the Charlotte doesn't lose the Independence just because their MLS plans might fall through. That would be rough.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
goddamnit

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/01/30/indianapolis-mls-expansion-application-indy-eleven-nasl?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

SI posted:

The NASL club’s president, Jeff Belskus, confirmed to SI.com late Monday that the Eleven, owner Ersal Ozdemir and the city of Indianapolis are pursuing one of the four MLS expansion openings. Ozdemir will deliver the application by hand to the league office in Manhattan on Tuesday. Indianapolis is the 12th city to declare its MLS intentions.

In mid-December, the league announced its plan to add four more teams, bringing the eventual membership to 28 (including Los Angeles FC next year and David Beckham’s quixotic Miami project). At that time, prospective investors in Charlotte, Cincinnati, Detroit, Nashville, Raleigh, Sacramento, St. Louis, San Antonio, San Diego and Tampa Bay already had come forward. An 11th applicant, the USL's Phoenix Rising, then joined the fray last week.

0% chance this happens

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Indy Eleven now make 12 teams vying for 4 spots in MLS (assuming no one else jumps in to the MLS expansion race at the last minute, before the Jan. 31st deadline); with Indy Eleven and North Carolina FC that's two NASL teams wanting in to MLS.

If you include Miami that makes 13 teams vying for 5 spots in MLS.

If you assume like I do that Miami isn't going to happen, then it's 12 teams vying for 5 spots in MLS.

It would be nice if Garber would finally enforce some kind of hard deadline on Miami Beckham United; this Feb. 5th will be their 3rd anniversary and they are no closer to getting an MLS team in Miami than they were three years ago.

With this many teams competing for so few spots, it makes no sense to force them to wait on MBU to get its act together.

Also Bill Edwards put on a show, flying into NYC to present MLS with the Tampa Bay Rowdies bid, with Rowdies club officials, members of Ralph's Mob, Pete the Pelican, Florida oranges (fresh fruit! <twitch> obligatory Monty Python reference), a piece of Al Lang turf ("bringing the pitch to you"), Rockettes doing their thing with the Rowdies fam in Times Square in front of the Tampa Bay Rowdies #MLS2StPete video advertisement, and so on.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 31, 2017

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

So the MLS expansion deadline to submit a bid came and went without any additional surprises; 12 markets submitting bids.

One additional bit of news: former HP CEO and failed political candidate Meg Whitman has joined the Sacramento Republic ownership group.

I'd say that's subtraction by addition; she is not fondly remembered by former HP employees.

Also the USL 2017 schedule has been released.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The Cosmos will be playing at MCU park in Brooklyn this year. Seems like it should be waaaay better than Hofstra.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

camoseven posted:

The Cosmos will be playing at MCU park in Brooklyn this year. Seems like it should be waaaay better than Hofstra.

It's not. It's a baseball field.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Lladre posted:

Sure, but Hoftra wasn't on public transit, couldn't serve beer outside the beer garden (from which you couldn't see the field!), and I'm pretty sure it was all bleacher seating. And it had lacrosse lines and poo poo all over the field!

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Lladre posted:

Could be bad, could be okay, depending on circumstances (just kidding; it's bad).

Tampa Bay Rowdies have been cursed in this regard in that the Tampa Bay area has lots of minor league/spring training baseball stadiums, and no soccer stadiums (unless you count tiny university soccer stadiums with no beer). First year back in existence they played at George Steinbrenner Field in Tampa, sharing it with spring training and minor league baseball, and it was not good.

Then they moved to Al Lang and shared it with the St. Pete baseball commission which only played a small international baseball tournament in the spring, but that pretty much ruined the pitch for the whole year. After Bill Edwards chased the St. Pete baseball commission away and got control of Al Lang, the pitch has been in tip top condition.

I'm not sure how it will work out in Coney Island; the pitch will be bad sharing it with a minor league baseball team; hopefully they will at least remove the pitcher's mound before Cosmos home games? :shrug:

camoseven posted:

Sure, but Hoftra wasn't on public transit, couldn't serve beer outside the beer garden (from which you couldn't see the field!), and I'm pretty sure it was all bleacher seating. And it had lacrosse lines and poo poo all over the field!

The location sounds much better, at least. More fans being able to take public trasnsit to home games helps a lot in NYC. And the beer of course. :beerpal:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I'm pretty sure MCU Park is 100% turf, like even the basepaths are turf. Turf isn't amazing for soccer, but it does mean that other uses won't rip up the field, at least. And Hofstra was turf, so it won't be a downgrade in that respect.

e: And I get that having a soccer specific stadium would be ideal, but the two Cosmos games I went to were at the two worst sporting venues I've ever been to (one at Hofstra, and then one at the absolute loving disgrace of a championship at loving Belson gently caress I'm still mad). MCU Park seems like a huge, huge upgrade over both of those.

camoseven fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 3, 2017

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Looks like we have our new lower league thread for 2017 here:

quote:

USSF Division 2 Pro Leagues 2017: we literally do not know

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808408

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Ugh wtf FC Cincinnati... Half of the draw was John Harkes...... http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/759114?referrer_id=2333971

I am guessing the power struggle was to real.

• Locked thread