Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Do over Ham posted:

City politics and real estate prices/availability are rather different in Pittsburgh, I would assume, than in places like Boston, New York City, Washington DC, Chicago, etc.

Pittsburgh is a smaller, post-industrial city; finding unused, cheap land near public transportation should not be a problem in Pittsburgh. Trust me, it is a huge problem in Boston, and not just for the Revs.

I imagine Detroit would be a similar situation as Pittsburgh if not more so; there's too much empty urban real estate now. They're only lacking a billionaire owner, not cheap urban real estate. In fact their new stadium in the story I linked to has twice the capacity of the Riverhounds stadium, and they didn't have to build it, just spruce it up a bit.

oh there's plenty of land available (kind of), it's all being turned into comically overpriced condos. property values are skyrocketing and developers are flush with cash. it's those people who find it easy to acquire land, not half-broke third division soccer clubs. and it wasn't even unused land, they tore down a concert venue to make room. i wasn't here when they went through the whole planning process, but given what i have seen of local politics since then, it is absolutely shocking that someone said "sure have this prime loving real estate."

i will grant you that it's unquestionably more difficult in boston and new york, but we're most certainly not like detroit. detroit's urban area is filled with vast swathes of empty lots. pittsburgh ain't like that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

be nice wicka posted:

oh there's plenty of land available (kind of), it's all being turned into comically overpriced condos. property values are skyrocketing and developers are flush with cash. it's those people who find it easy to acquire land, not half-broke third division soccer clubs. and it wasn't even unused land, they tore down a concert venue to make room. i wasn't here when they went through the whole planning process, but given what i have seen of local politics since then, it is absolutely shocking that someone said "sure have this prime loving real estate."

i will grant you that it's unquestionably more difficult in boston and new york, but we're most certainly not like detroit. detroit's urban area is filled with vast swathes of empty lots. pittsburgh ain't like that at all.

True; I didn't mean to imply Pittsburgh was like Detroit in the sense of being an empty wasteland; Pittsburgh has recovered from losing its heavy industry rather better than Detroit or most of the other rust belt cities, and none of the rust belt cities are as bad as Detroit. But your urban areas are nowhere near as crowded, overpriced (yet - though it sounds like it is moving that way), or (I'm guessing) as subject to stifling local politics as is the case with Boston, NYC, Chicago, etc.

quote:

http://saintpetersblog.com/253472

Tampa Bay Rowdies sign midfielder Eric Avila

quote:

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/nasl-notes-former-usmnt-robbie-findley-joins-rayo-okc-more-45101/

NASL Notes: Former USMNT Robbie Findley Joins Rayo OKC, more

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Do over Ham posted:

True; I didn't mean to imply Pittsburgh was like Detroit in the sense of being an empty wasteland; Pittsburgh has recovered from losing its heavy industry rather better than Detroit or most of the other rust belt cities, and none of the rust belt cities are as bad as Detroit. But your urban areas are nowhere near as crowded, overpriced (yet - though it sounds like it is moving that way), or (I'm guessing) as subject to stifling local politics as is the case with Boston, NYC, Chicago, etc.

regardless, they include one free beer at every match with season tickets, which is a pretty slick deal

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

be nice wicka posted:

regardless, they include one free beer at every match with season tickets, which is a pretty slick deal

Well, the Revs gave away free nachos on Hispanic Heritage Night, so, uh, there's that..... :stare:

Oh noes I feel a goon joke about MLS/Stoke City about to burst out, but this is NASL related:

quote:

http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news/2016/03/02/england-update-stoke-city-replaces-leicester-city

England Update: Stoke City Replaces Leicester City

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (March 2, 2016) — With the Tampa Bay Rowdies set to depart for England this weekend, a few more details regarding our preseason tour have been finalized.

Due to fixture congestion and other obligations, the Rowdies’ scheduled match against a Leicester City XI has been replaced with a match against a Stoke City XI at St. George’s Park, Tampa Bay’s base for the second phase of the trip and the home of England’s National Team.

Stoke City currently sits in 8th place in the Barclays Premier League.

The matches against a Nottingham Forest XI and a Notts County XI will be played as originally announced on March 9 and 11, respectively.

The match against Nottingham Forest will be played at Forest’s training ground and is open to the public. The match against Notts County will be played behind closed doors at Meadow Lane with no public access. The Stoke City match is also closed to the public.

None of the matches will be broadcast online, so follow the Rowdies on social media and visit rowdiessoccer.com often for updates from England.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

be nice wicka posted:

STL FC did a number of these deals (the best was a GA ticket, bratwurst and beer for $17) last year, which made watching a very mediocre team much easier.

(It's not like they needed to do this to boost attendance, either.)

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I'm pretty stoked about the new Detroit City FC stadium. There's an awesome atmosphere at the games, and the fans are crazy passionate about the team.

I should be on the sidelines for a few games as an assistant team doc, and I'm going to drag as many people as possible for the friendly against United of Manchester.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Suqit posted:

Hi. Lifetime San Antonio FC supporter checking in.

Welcome to the USL. "It's surprisingly good"

Just be sure to drink heavily.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Spoke with the GM of the Austin Aztex. Some stuff is hush-hush (including who on the city council is against us), but I can confirm that a usable stadium WILL be built in east Austin by June 2017, with the possibility of it being sooner.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

CaptainYesterday posted:

Spoke with the GM of the Austin Aztex. Some stuff is hush-hush (including who on the city council is against us), but I can confirm that a usable stadium WILL be built in east Austin by June 2017, with the possibility of it being sooner.

Some stadium news in Tampa/St. Pete also:

quote:

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/102853227-story

Al Land stadium expansion to appear on Nov. ballot

quote:

http://theunsubs.com/wp/2016/03/08/rowdies-seeking-to-extend-al-lang-lease-in-lead-up-proposed-stadium-expansion/

Rowdies Seeking to Extend Al Lang Lease in Lead Up to Proposed Stadium Expansion

Edit to add: in summary, city owned waterfront property can only be leased 5 years; to make it worth their while to invest in a stadium the Rowdies would need a long term lease. Thus, the need for voter approval in November.

Also we now know where Rowdies 2 are playing:

quote:

http://www.npsl.com/fieldlocations

Tampa Bay Rowdies 2 Waters Soccer Complex 8108 Benjamin Rd, Tampa, FL 33634

quote:

https://www.facebook.com/TheHoopedSleeve/photos/a.432443290263546.1073741828.430087723832436/537757343065473/?type=3&theater

The Hooped Sleeve
Page Liked · 1 hr · Edited ·

According to the #NPSL's website, Rowdies 2 will play their home matches at the Waters Soccer Complex in Tampa (intersection of Waters Ave. & Benjamin Road)! Check it out: http://www.npsl.com/fieldlocations

Does the location seem familiar? It's the original site where the Tampa Bay Rowdies planned to build their Soccer-Specific Stadium back in 2009/10! Yes, the "Tomato Patch"!

The site has since been turned into a soccer complex and is now home to Tampa Bay United Soccer Club, which is owned by Rowdies' minority owner, David Laxer.

The Rowdies have yet to confirm this news. #StayTuned

**(Thanks to Adam Martin [@MadAdam4] for posting this information on Twitter)**

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 9, 2016

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Rowdies 2 schedule released: http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news/2016/03/10/rowdies-2-releases-inaugural-npsl-schedule

quote:

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (March 10, 2016) – The Tampa Bay Rowdies have announced the schedule of their National Premier Soccer League team, Rowdies 2.

Rowdies 2 will compete in the NPSL’s Sunshine Conference, taking on opponents from across Florida where they’ll have the chance to move Coastal Cup rivalries to a new level.

The NPSL Sunshine Conference South Region will see Rowdies 2 play the Fort Lauderdale Strikers U-23, Jacksonville Armada FC U-23, Kraze United, Miami Fusion FC, Miami United, Storm FC and Weston FC.

The regular season will begin with a road match against Miami United FC on Sunday May 8, followed by another away match at Jacksonville Armada U-23 the following Sunday.

Rowdies 2 makes its home debut on Saturday, May 21 against Storm FC. The team will begin June with three straight matches on the road and then close out the regular season with four consecutive home games.

The Rowdies also announced that all NPSL home matches will be played at the Waters Soccer Complex (8108 Benjamin Rd, Tampa, FL 33634) in Tampa, Fla. Kickoff times and ticket information will be announced at a later date.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The new NASL team in Oklahoma City signed Giorgos Samaras. If he comes with a functioning back, it's a nice signing. If he doesn't, congratulations on spending however many thousands of dollars on a cheerleader.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Do over Ham posted:

Some stadium news in Tampa/St. Pete also:

Edit to add: in summary, city owned waterfront property can only be leased 5 years; to make it worth their while to invest in a stadium the Rowdies would need a long term lease. Thus, the need for voter approval in November.

So then this happened....

quote:

Attracting MLS to St. Pete? Orlando has the rights to soccer on the bay

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/baybuzz/attracting-mls-to-st-pete-orlando-has-the-rights-to-soccer-on-the-bay/2268685

And Orlando City has full territorial and TV rights for the Tampa Bay market, said Leonardo Santiago, the team's vice president of communications on Wednesday.

Orlando City is also planning to extend its TV coverage to Tampa Bay in both English and Spanish, Santiago said. And it also has the exclusive right to scout and develop players througout central and north Florida known as "territorial rights," he said.

Any move by the Rowdies to move up to MLS would have to go through Orlando it appears.

"We have the MLS rights throughout central and north Florida, so any discussion of another franchise would have to include us and MLS," wrote Santiago in an email.

Funny, that didn't stop MLS from awarding second franchises in NYC and LA. Tampa/St. Pete isn't even the same TV market as Orlando (and it is a bigger TV market than Orlando). Sure they are close, but they aren't the same market and the instant MLS comes to an agreement to bring a team to the Tampa Bay area is the instant Orlando loses its "territorial rights". Orlando only has one vote in the league; it does not have a veto. Santiago is trying to poison the well for the Rowdies.

Then this happened...

quote:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/baybuzz/edwards-wants-an-mls-team-council-chairwoman-says/2268819

Edwards wants an MLS team for St. Pete, council chairwoman says

Then this happened...

quote:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/growth/edwards-wants-to-expand-al-lang-for-mls-team/2268865

Edwards says Al Lang expansion isn't about moving Rowdies to MLS

And this...

quote:

http://saintpetersblog.com/bill-edwards-hushes-speculation-hes-vying-major-league-soccer-st-pete/

Bill Edwards hushes speculation that he’s vying for Major League Soccer in St. Pete

Softly, softly, catchee monkey...

Meanwhile Mob not happy....

quote:

http://theunsubs.com/wp/2016/03/10/an-open-letter/

As it is well known now, the Tampa Bay Rowdies and St Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman are pushing to include a referendum to extend the lease at Al Lang Stadium. This should be the first step in Bill Edwards’s desired expansion for the stadium as it would pave the way for securing financing for the project.

What is also now known is that the local media cannot be left alone to spread the word on this campaign. First there was Fox 13’s feature that twisted things to make it sound like the vote would be on $70 million in renovations and tied it to the failed Tampa Bay Rays stadium proposal at the Al Lang site years ago. Then on Thursday the Tampa Bay Times followed that report up with an article implying that any hopes of growth by the Rowdies are futile due to Orlando City owning the territorial rights to MLS in the Tampa Bay market.

Drama... :allears:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

And Orlando City has full territorial and TV rights for the Tampa Bay market, said Leonardo Santiago, the team's vice president of communications on Wednesday.

Orlando City is also planning to extend its TV coverage to Tampa Bay in both English and Spanish, Santiago said. And it also has the exclusive right to scout and develop players througout central and north Florida known as "territorial rights," he said.

Any move by the Rowdies to move up to MLS would have to go through Orlando it appears.

"We have the MLS rights throughout central and north Florida, so any discussion of another franchise would have to include us and MLS," wrote Santiago in an email.

MLS is the worst loving league and i cannot wait until the people who think of these idiotic rules are either fired into the sun or the league itself collapses under the weight of its own stupidity

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
Miami United FC (NPSL) signed former Brazil international Adriano who looks like this now

Corinthians put Adriano under 'house arrest' to make him lose weight
Former Brazil striker Adriano charged over alleged links to Rio drug lord
Adriano claims weight will not be a problem at Miami United

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

MLS is the worst loving league and i cannot wait until the people who think of these idiotic rules are either fired into the sun or the league itself collapses under the weight of its own stupidity
To drive this point home, it is roughly 90 miles between Orlando and Tampa-St. Petersburg. Not even the arcane Major League Baseball territorial rules are this crazy.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

To drive this point home, it is roughly 90 miles between Orlando and Tampa-St. Petersburg. Not even the arcane Major League Baseball territorial rules are this crazy.

"we're gonna be the best league in the world! by inexplicably replicating everything everyone hates about major american sports leagues but tolerate because they have no other choice"

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

On the plus side, it's MLS, so the rules are pretty meaningless and arbitrary and will be changed on a whim in a secret meeting held at an undisclosed location three months ago and decided by coin toss.

So I'm not worried about Orlando keeping the Rowdies out of MLS; I'm more worried about Edwards putting together the Al Lang SSS and ownership group deals in time to make something happen.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

So now we know who the VIP was; it was a player not an investor.

quote:

Former West Ham and Chelsea Midfielder Joe Cole Has Been Hanging Out with the Rowdies

http://theunsubs.com/wp/2016/03/15/rowdies-linked-to-former-chelsea-midfielder-joe-cole/

The Tampa Bay Rowdies could be close to inking a well-known name in the world of English soccer — former West Ham United and Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole.

The 34-year-old former English international was in attendance for today’s 1-1 draw between the Rowdies and a Stoke Citty XI at St. George’s Park.

Today was not the first time the 34-year-old took in a Rowdies match this year, though. He was a special VIP guest of the Rowdies for the Suncoast Invitational match up with the Montreal Impact back on February 20.

In the days leading up to that match, the Rowdies front office put the message out to Ralph’s Mob that the supporters group should be ready to put on a good show to impress a VIP that could open doors for the club in the future. We now know Cole was that VIP. He was photographed in the Rowdies owner’s box sitting to next to owner Bill Edwards and COO Lee Cohen.

Cole would undoubtedly be the most-high profile player to sign with the modern era Rowdies. Freddy Adu might have more name recognition in the U.S., but his playing resume pales in comparison to Cole’s. The midfielder appeared in 126 matches for his first club West Ham United from 1998-2003 before moving on to a highly successful run at Chelsea from 2003-2010. During that stint, Cole made close to 200 appearances and Chelsea claimed both the Premier League title and FA Cup three times.

With over 50 caps for the English national team to his name, Cole would also be the most experienced international play for the modern Rowidies. Cole last appeared for England during the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Cole is currently under contract with Coventry City FC in the English third division, but his contract only runs until the end of the season in May. If he were to join, it would likely be as a pickup in June between the NASL Spring and Fall Seasons.

After the signing of Scottish center back Neil Collins from Sheffield United last week, the Rowdies have one international roster slot remaining.

The Rowdies declined to comment on this story.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Do over Ham posted:

So now we know who the VIP was; it was a player not an investor.
Serious question: the Rowdies already have about 20 midfielders, so where the hell would they put Joe Cole?

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Serious question: the Rowdies already have about 20 midfielders, so where the hell would they put Joe Cole?

No idea. Sounds like he wouldn't be joining the team until June even if they do sign him so maybe he's insurance. I dunno.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Or maybe with their NPSL team Rowdies 2 they are stocking up for a run at the NPSL championship. :shrug:

quote:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/03/16/report-coventry-citys-joe-cole-linked-with-nasl-club-tampa-bay-r/

Report: Coventry City's Joe Cole linked with NASL club Tampa Bay Rowdies

quote:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/rumour-mill-tampa-bay-rowdies-11046501

Rumour mill: Tampa Bay Rowdies eye Coventry City midfielder Joe Cole

quote:

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2016/03/15/former-scotland-21-defender-neill-collins-joins-tampa-bay-rowdies/

Former Scotland Under-21 defender Neill Collins joins Tampa Bay Rowdies

quote:

http://saintpetersblog.com/rowdies-conclude-english-swing-draw-stoke-city/

Rowdies conclude English swing with draw against Stoke City

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Niko Kranjcar signed with the Cosmos. Seems like a solid signing for them.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Pittsburgh Riverhounds fan checking in! Hoping to get out to a match sooner rather than later.

Aardvark Barber fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 20, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Aardvark Barber posted:

Pittsburgh Riverhounds fan checking in! Hoping to get out to a match sooner rather than later.

OH BOY

it's a nice stadium. the supporters section is somewhat cringe-y but i mean you can't really avoid that in american soccer. they're fun though so whatever. i got season tickets this year for the first time.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

be nice wicka posted:

OH BOY

it's a nice stadium. the supporters section is somewhat cringe-y but i mean you can't really avoid that in american soccer. they're fun though so whatever. i got season tickets this year for the first time.

I've been to a few, I was at the Harrisburg game where the Hounds won it 6-5 with three extra time goals. Insane.

The stadium is pretty nice, and definitely a great location as well.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

A high profile signing but as he is 34 and playing in what was the old English third division it looks like another "retirement league" signing, with options for more if he works out:

quote:

http://www.espnfc.us/story/2834955/tampa-bay-rowdies-offer-joe-cole-deal-source

Joe Cole offered one-year deal by Tampa Bay Rowdies - source

It got the Rowdies mentioned on "front page" of ESPNFC so there's that:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

New website for the November election in St. Pete: http://www.supportallang.org/

Those of you living in the area who want to see the Rowdies stick around should do your part. If this passes the Rowdies can get an extended lease which will allow them in invest in a bigger stadium.

quote:

Hey! We've got a website now: http://www.supportallang.org/

Sign-up for our mailing list and receive the latest updates on all upcoming events related to the public referendum this November and the future of Al Lang Stadium (No spam, we promise). Your participation is vital and together we can secure the future of Professional Soccer in Downtown St. Petersburg.

‪#‎JoinTheMovement‬ ‪#‎SupportAlLang‬

Meanwhile...

quote:

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/03/23/freddy-adu-tampa-bay-rowdies-free-kick-video

Freddy Adu scored a sweet goal for the Tampa Bay Rowdies, and it’s still depressing

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 24, 2016

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/tampabayrowdies/status/713521039356112900

Ewwwww. Rowdies just announced a band called the Loudies who I guess are a bunch of middle schoolers.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

King of False Promises posted:

https://twitter.com/tampabayrowdies/status/713521039356112900

Ewwwww. Rowdies just announced a band called the Loudies who I guess are a bunch of middle schoolers.

The Loudies were the marching band for the original Tampa Bay Rowdies back in the 1970s. :toot:

No sign of the Wowdies. :heysexy:

Pete Pelican ladies and gentlemen...

Who are you and what have you done with Hoops McGee? :mad::

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Do over Ham posted:

Who are you and what have you done with Hoops McGee? :mad::

I miss Hoops so much. He was the best dirty sock mascot.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

http://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/2016/3/29/11294542/atlanta-ruckus-soccer-history-mls-united-bid-1995

Raising a Ruckus: The Death of Atlanta's inaugural MLS bid (Part 1)

The full story of the Atlanta Ruckus and its place in Atlanta soccer history.

quote:

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_29698955/silicon-valley-investors-announce-new-san-francisco-soccer

Silicon Valley investors announce new San Francisco soccer team

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Earthquakes might have competition next season: A group of Silicon Valley investors are part of a new San Francisco professional team planning to join the North American Soccer League in 2017.

The San Francisco Deltas announced Tuesday they will play home games at 10,000-seat Kezar Stadium with the intentions of competing in the second division of American soccer, just a step below the Quakes' Major League Soccer.

quote:

http://hoodline.com/2016/03/sf-deltas-announce-more-details-for-pro-soccer-at-kezar-stadium

SF Deltas Announce More Details For Pro Soccer At Kezar Stadium

As we reported earlier this month, the SF Deltas' plans to move into Kezar were unanimously approved by SF Rec and Park, despite the opposition of the Haight Ashbury Neighborhood Council. According to the Guardian, the city received 1,400 letters of support for the proposal and 23 letters of opposition, so overall, it seems that local residents are in favor of the Deltas' plans (which include footing the bill for $460,000 in renovations to the stadium).

Today's press release contained some new information, including the fact that technology will be part of the experience, "including the use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) Ticketing and Virtual Reality." The Guardian notes that so-called "smart ticketing" could allow fans to move seats from game to game, based on their needs and moods. Visitors will be able to vote on what food trucks they'd like to see at each match, and, on the player side, virtual reality may be incorporated for sharpening goalkeepers’ reflexes.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
NASL signed a deal with BeIN, they'll televise 34 games this year.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

trem_two posted:

NASL signed a deal with BeIN, they'll televise 34 games this year.

quote:

http://saintpetersblog.com/tampa-bay-rowdies-sign-another-tv-contract-broadcast-games/

Tampa Bay Rowdies sign another TV contract to broadcast games

Days after announcing one new television package, the Tampa Bay Rowdies have announced another.

The North American Soccer League has announced a deal with beIN Sports, a global network, that will broadcast a minimum of 34 matches throughout the season. Included will be 11 matches during the spring, 18 in the fall and five weekday games.

MLS related but also pertains to NASL and the Rowdies, Cosmos, Strikers as well:

quote:

http://www.metroactive.com/features/columns/Nike-Soccer-San-Jose-Earthquakes-San-Jose-Clash-Brand-Marketing.html

How Nike's Dreadful Marketing Delayed Soccer Mania in San Jose

Members of the rebranded San Jose Clash weren't fond of the name or hideous jerseys.

Saturday night, the San Jose Earthquakes game against D.C. United will officially commemorate the 20th anniversary of Major League Soccer's inaugural match, which erupted April 6, 1996 in San Jose. In that first game 20 years ago, San Jose defeated D.C. in front of 31,683 fans at Spartan Stadium. At the time, it was the largest attendance for any sporting event in San Jose history.

With that match, the San Jose soccer bloodline began its MLS era as the San Jose Clash, thanks to the marketing bozos at Nike, who also inflicted upon the team hideously embarrassing jerseys and a nonsensical logo, which had nothing to do with San Jose and made no sense to any soccer-minded person anywhere in the world. A shoe company tried to market the team to '90s emo mall rats rather than soccer fans, so the entire brand was widely ridiculed by everyone, especially folks who grew up with the original San Jose Earthquakes in the '70s. But for whatever reason, we still went to the games.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Do over Ham posted:

MLS related but also pertains to NASL and the Rowdies, Cosmos, Strikers as well:

most of the original MLS team identities were developed by nike and that's why most of them have been changed. the fire were supposed to be the "chicago rhythm" with a purple/black cobra logo; thankfully the ownership just ignored nike on that one.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
Rayo OKC's inaugural kits:

Rayo Vallecano 2015-16 kits

quote:

To honor the 'unsung heroes of society', the black Rayo Vallecano 2015-16 Away Shirt features a striking rainbow sash on the front. Each color of the sash represent the club's support of a movement, while all all six colors combined represent the fight against discrimination for sexual orientation.

The stripes represent different things in Oklahoma. The Green Stripe is my favorite.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
lmfao the blue stripe is the only color they need to support average american soccer fans

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

be nice wicka posted:

most of the original MLS team identities were developed by nike and that's why most of them have been changed. the fire were supposed to be the "chicago rhythm" with a purple/black cobra logo; thankfully the ownership just ignored nike on that one.

Yes. To add insult to injury they were also acting as though the NASL never happened or if it did happen it was a bad thing, which is not at all how us old timer NASL fans remember it. I mean it was fairly obvious that MLS put a team in places like San Jose and Tampa Bay because those areas had successful NASL teams, and not because they had interested local owners who knew what they were doing (the Mutiny had no owners at all). The Nike top-down one-size-fits-all arbitrary bad marketing/bad branding was the final insult. It was pretty obvious in Tampa Bay: Rowdies > Pirates > Buccaneers > Mutiny. Green and yellow hoops > black and blue stripes. Classic Rowdies font > Mutiny 80s computer font. And then, for no apparent reason at all, a bat. :shrug:

American soccer has a bad case of recurring, inevitable, historical amnesia. MLS tried to erase or ignore everything that came before it, specifically the NASL. The NASL in its day also wrote its own histories as though soccer in the USA began after the 1966 World Cup final was televised in the USA and investors created the two leagues that would later merge to form the NASL. ASL? Never heard of it. The ASL circa 1930s-1980s in turn had completely forgotten about the original ASL of the 1920s, whose official records were lost and whose history had to be painstakingly reconstructed from old newspaper articles by late 20th century American soccer historians because the people who run the game in this country are partisans of their particular organizations only, and have no interest in preserving the history of, or promoting the best interests of, the game as a whole. This madness continues on to this day in the whole MLS/NASL/USL tussle.

quote:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/city-beat/article69214982.html

Major League Soccer commissioner plans Sacramento visit in April

quote:

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Cheltenham-Town-NEWS-Robins-striker-Eliot/story-29025680-detail/story.html

Cheltenham Town NEWS: Former Robins striker Eliot Richards set for move to Tampa Bay Rowdies

Rowdies? Sign a striker? That's crazy talk. :v:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Do over Ham posted:

the people who run the game in this country are partisans of their particular organizations only, and have no interest in preserving the history of, or promoting the best interests of, the game as a whole.

it's like when someone asked bruce arena how he felt about promotion/relegation and the FIRST response that came to his mind was something about how phil anschutz didn't deserve to have to risk one of his investments being relegated. they have no genuine interest in growing the sport, they just want to grow MLS and benefit their invite-only group of investors.

ANYWAY

GAME DAY TODAY

RHINOS ARE GOING DOWN maybe, idk, i really have no clue how good any of these teams are

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
Went to my first Railhawks game in about a year and a half today. For this season, they've started a free party bus from my local pub to & from the stadium with free beers on board which is fairly loving cool. Afternoon game when it's 70 and sunny is pretty ideal.

Also, top of the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
Rayo OKC reporting 6,416 in attendance, a sell out. Facilities look good and Samaras is on the field (!!!)

• Locked thread