Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

wicka posted:

bring back parkes, let him kick burfict

Hahaha, the pitt rivalry is real..

On a different note, FC Cincinnati is now cold calling people who bought tickets before online and haven't bought again... Not a good sign for beating that record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

fyallm posted:

On a different note, FC Cincinnati is now cold calling people who bought tickets before online and haven't bought again... Not a good sign for beating that record

Every sports team does that all the time, though

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

camoseven posted:

Every sports team does that all the time, though

Weird, I have not gotten a call from the bengals, reds, cyclones, cincy saints (bad example), Columbus Crew, Florence Freedom yet. And this was the first time FC Cincinnati called me and it's not the second game.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The GM of the Austin Aztex got interviewed, and here are the bullet points:

-Potential investors have been located and are in negotiations
-The team may rebrand, but not until the new money is on board
-We have a stadium solution, but the decision might not be announced until November
-While the FO focuses on the USL for now, 2024 is the target date for all the ducks to be in a row for the Majors

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Berding during a presentation last night said the ticket sales for FC Cincinnati hit 17.5k tickets sold. They are expecting around 3k~ in walk up window sales... That is still a decent size gap from the 25K they wanted.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Well FCC is now at 20k tickets sold for tomorrow !

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
Reported 23,375 in attendance at FC Cincinnati. Cold calling works, people.

https://twitter.com/USL/status/731618283514961921

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Didn't make the 25K but drat it was chilly outside!! The town seems to be finally backing soccer

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

OC$C (not currently lower league but they'll always be lower league to me):

quote:

FC Cincinnati: the third-tier US soccer team pulling in 20,000 fans a game

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/16/fc-cincinnati-usl-record-attendances-soccer

quote:

Minnesota United Go Top Spot After Beating Jacksonville Armada

https://www.beinsports.com/us/nasl/news/minnesota-united-go-top-spot-after-beating-ja/259529

quote:

Joe Cole makes Tampa Bay Rowdies debut after leaving Coventry City

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/joe-cole-makes-tampa-bay-11337126

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

CaptainYesterday posted:

-The team may rebrand, but not until the new money is on board

I don't care what anyone says, I like the Austin Aztex name. It's cute and stupid and a pun, and more importantly it has some history now. Why change it? :colbert:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

Fennelly: Longtime Rowdies, a self-made owner and bruised feelings

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/soccer/fennelly-longtime-rowdies-a-self-made-owner-and-bruised-feelings/2277689

Where have all the Rowdies gone?

I mean the old Rowdies, from the kick-in-the-grass glory days. The Tampa Bay soccer club, when reborn in 2010, leaned on its brand, on men like Perry Van Der Beck, who was drafted by the Rowdies out of high school in 1978 and whose devotion to the franchise and its fans was and is unwavering. He loves this club.

Love had to be the only reason why Van Der Beck was in the stands at Al Lang Stadium Saturday night as the Rowdies played their first match since he resigned as the team's assistant general manager and vice president of community relations. Old Rowdies never die, they just move to section 5, row 10.

Van Der Beck's resignation severed the final link between the original Rowdies and today's NASL entry. It's a sad thing. It can't be a good thing. Something has been lost. In August, Rowdies GM Farrukh Quraishi, the first college draft pick in Rowdies history, was fired nine months after being hired, along with coach Thomas Rongen.

That, kiddies, brings us to the man who did the hirings and firings and who might turn up as an exact match if they ever dust Van Der Beck's departure for fingerprints: Bill Edwards, the wildly successful St. Petersburg businessman and wildly hands-on Rowdies owner and CEO.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

This video is making the rounds and he's even being called "a future Keylor Navas", does anyone follow Pittsburgh? Is he consistently that good?

Also that crowd is incredible for a 3rd tier team, here we can't get that kind of attendance in the top flight (and that means total yearly attendance for some teams)

https://www.facebook.com/tdmascostarica/videos/1720529688192916/

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Simone Poodoin posted:

This video is making the rounds and he's even being called "a future Keylor Navas", does anyone follow Pittsburgh? Is he consistently that good?

Also that crowd is incredible for a 3rd tier team, here we can't get that kind of attendance in the top flight (and that means total yearly attendance for some teams)

https://www.facebook.com/tdmascostarica/videos/1720529688192916/

no idea, gilstrap started every game prior to that one

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
USL coming to Nashville in 2018

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Apparently not mentioned in the press release is that the franchise has been awarded to Nashville on the condition that the team finalizes it's plan to build a soccer-only stadium in a timely fashion.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
The FC Cincinnati game was postponed this weekend due to the field at Charlotte looking like this garbage dump:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

fyallm posted:

The FC Cincinnati game was postponed this weekend due to the field at Charlotte looking like this garbage dump:

Looks as bad as Al Lang did when the St. Pete Baseball Commission was still in charge.

Meanwhile, in NASL....

quote:

Fort Lauderdale Strikers: Where Did It All Go Wrong?

http://midfieldpress.com/2016/05/18/fort-lauderdale-strikers-where-did-it-all-go-wrong/

quote:

The Irish influence is proving crucial in the second tier of North American soccer

http://www.the42.ie/indy-eleven-irish-eamon-zayed-colin-falvey-2782952-May2016/

quote:

'I closed the door, turned to the missus and said 'What the f**k has just happened?''

http://www.the42.ie/richie-ryan-miami-fc-2-2780379-May2016/

IT WAS A regular Wednesday night.

Richie Ryan was getting his baby daughter ready for bed when he got a message from Nathan Walter – the assistant technical director of his NASL club, the Jacksonville Armada.

“He asked if he could pop around in the next hour with the manager, Tony Meola”, Ryan says.

quote:

Selling soccer to the States: The growth of MLS and the beautiful game in the US

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2016/05/20/selling-soccer-states-growth-mls-and-beautiful-game-us

Under Armour penned a deal with the New York Cosmos in March, marking the brand’s first sponsorship of a domestic soccer team. While the Cosmos play in the country’s second tier — the North America Soccer League (NASL) — the deal is emblematic of the potential rewards sport companies are willing to play the long-game for.

quote:

Sports Opinion: MLS This Could Be Us But…

http://www.southdadenewsleader.com/sports/sports-opinion-mls-this-could-be-us-but/article_f7b16ace-1ead-11e6-ab5c-8f2ba28ab1c4.html

Just imagine the possibilities. A team playing in front of a capacity crowd. The most loyal supporters club marching through downtown on their way to the stadium for the evening’s match. The entirety of the game’s attendees standing at once and singing their support for the soccer team on the field, led by a three-time English Premier League champion who has played in multiple World Cups for England. Sound’s like David Beckham’s Miami dreamland? Well imagine my surprise when I realized this exists already, and it’s name is the Tampa Bay Rowdies.

During a recent trip to Saint Petersburg, Florida, I had the opportunity to attend a Rowdies game at Al Lang Stadium, a former minor-league baseball field that has been turned into a soccer mesa for the Tampa Bay area, complete with affordable concessions, roaring capacity crowds, and a beautiful view with Tampa Bay quite literally across the street from the stadium’s eastern sideline.

This is what I keep telling Beckham via my psychic mind control powers but he hasn't succumbed yet. Al Lang is perfect. Screw Miami and its crooked politicians, Becks. Tampa Bay Rowdies is what you want.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Do over Ham posted:

This is what I keep telling Beckham via my psychic mind control powers but he hasn't succumbed yet. Al Lang is perfect. Screw Miami and its crooked politicians, Becks. Tampa Bay Rowdies is what you want.

It's really shocking that, after all the troubles trying to get stadium land, they've not gone with this.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

King of False Promises posted:

It's really shocking that, after all the troubles trying to get stadium land, they've not gone with this.

It's literally staring them in the face. Florida, downtown urban waterfront stadium, with no NIMBY problems and with a city government quite eager to attract sports investors (due to the Rays inevitable move when their lease is up), with an already established soccer team using the facility (the Tampa Bay Rowdies with an established 41 year old brand name that is well known worldwide especially in Britain) and an already established and proven fan base (which Miami has yet to demonstrate that it has).

After their second or third failure to get a site in Miami I have to believe that the Beckham group started to look at other cities as a backup plan. Becks was in Las Vegas recently so the assumption is that he'll use Las Vegas as his backup plan but they have potentially got the same kinds of problems in Las Vegas as they do in Miami, with none of the pluses that the Tampa Bay Rowdies have. And they have the gambling stigma in Las Vegas as well; maybe not something that Beckham would worry about but he really should try to think of some cities that aren't just "glamour and glitter" cities for a change.

Also Bill Edwards and the Rowdies are really ready for MLS now if they had the Beckham group on board: unlike Las Vegas you would not have to wait for a stadium to get built you could expand Al Lang as is during the off season; and/or use the Ray Jay if necessary (and like Orlando they could probably fill an NFL-sized stadium, while Al Lang was being expanded, especially with the Beckham brand attached to the Rowdies brand). It's win-win idea, and just what the Rowdies need to break through the "but it isn't going to be as good as the original 1970s era Rowdies, so why bother" stigma/catch-22 that we are currently suffering from.

What are they, on their fourth site in Miami, now? And Miami is trying to impose all kinds of unreasonable conditions on Beckham's group? Time to look elsewhere. I keep sending Beckham letters, urging him to look at the Rowdies, so now I just feel like a stalker. :unsmith:

Are Mick Jagger, Rick Wakeman, Peter Frampton and Paul Simon potential Philadelphia Fury owners again I wonder?

quote:

Philadelphia Fury seek NASL move with potential partners in Spain, Dubai and Las Vegas

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/Philadelphia-Fury-seek-NASL-move-with-money-from-Spain-Dubai-and-Las-Vegas.html

Interesting trivia, first shirt sponsorship I am aware of (in USA sports) was the Pennsylvania Stoners of the American Soccer League back in 1980. ALPO was the shirt sponsor.

quote:

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/will-others-follow-nbas-jersey-sponsorship-decision/

The National Basketball Association has announced it will allow teams to add a sponsorship patch from a company on a team jersey in the 2017-18 season. Half of this additional advertising revenue will go to the team and the rest will go into the league’s revenue-sharing pool. With this decision, the NBA becomes the first of the big four North American sports leagues to add a sponsor logo to its game jersey. Could the other leagues follow suit?

Hooligan problems? Lower leagues: "Hey, MLS, here's Orlando and Atlanta. You're welcome."

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

The USL people have been spreading a lot of misinformation about USL as a path to MLS, which gets picked up and repeated by others; spot the howlers here:

quote:

Mountain Star works to bring new soccer stadium, team to El Paso

http://kfoxtv.com/news/local/mountain-star-works-to-bring-new-soccer-stadium-team-to-el-paso

Hunt said the USL could be a stepping stone to the MLS.

"Several USL teams have made the move from USL to MLS. That includes places like Minneapolis, Orlando and Atlanta, so several other cities are taking the same path we view as a path we should take as well," Hunt said.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 26, 2016

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Do over Ham posted:

The USL people have been spreading a lot of misinformation about USL as a path to MLS, which gets picked up and repeated by others; spot the howlers here:

That's ridiculous.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Do over Ham posted:

Wasn't the Minneapolis/Atlanta teams NASL? Orlando did go from USL to MLS thought I guess.

I am guessing they are saying the silverbacks(NASL) dissolved and\now Altanta United counts for MLS?

I have no idea what that article means... But hopefully within the next 4ish years FC Cincinnati will be included in that article :)

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

fyallm posted:

Wasn't the Minneapolis/Atlanta teams NASL? Orlando did go from USL to MLS thought I guess.

I am guessing they are saying the silverbacks(NASL) dissolved and\now Altanta United counts for MLS?

I have no idea what that article means... But hopefully within the next 4ish years FC Cincinnati will be included in that article :)

The article means that some local investors in El Paso are buying into the USL talking points.

Minnesota United (Loons or whatever they end up calling them) are going from NASL to MLS.

Orlando City is the only city mentioned that went straight from USL to MLS.

Atlanta Silverbacks were NASL; Atlanta United in MLS has no connection to them.

All of the other teams that have moved from USL to MLS did so when the NASL did not yet exist, so talking about "USL is the path to MLS" using those as examples to slight the NASL is ridiculous USL spin. Also, many of those USL-to-MLS teams were part of TOA, IIRC, so they would have been NASL teams eventually if they had not gone to MLS first.

Edit to add: also, El Paso is the number 98 TV market in the USA, so they barely made the top 100 list. These investors have to be drinking the Kool-Aid to think that MLS would ever be interested in their market.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 28, 2016

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
There's also the MLS/USL partnership, along with the NASL trying in vain to compete with MLS.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CaptainYesterday posted:

There's also the MLS/USL partnership, along with the NASL trying in vain to compete with MLS.
At the same time El Paso is an ideal market for a D3 team. Yeah back in the day they were D2, but that was back when the USL ran it and didn't give a poo poo about things like attendance or team finances.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

King of False Promises posted:

Serendity; I was suddenly curious if David Beckham and Bill Edwards had any kind of connections so I googled them and this article was at the top of the results; it appears to date from February 2013 2012, which would have been about a year and 10 months before Edwards bought the Rowdies:

quote:

Bill Edwards Knocks Muhammad Ali Out in Vegas

http://www.downtownstpete.ilovetheburg.com/article/Bill-Edwards-Knocks-Muhammad--Ali-Out-in-Vegas/3420

St. Petersburg's own Bill Edwards may just be the busiest man in show business. He's got his recording studio. He's managing the Mahaffey Theater. He's got big plans to renovate BayWalk. And his company, Bill Edwards Presents, just finished throwing the birthday bash of the century for 70-year old boxing icon, Muhammad Ali.

Filmed last Saturday at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, the evening airs ABC this Saturday, Feb. 25, at 4pm, and on ESPN2 later that night at 10 pm.

Part tribute to the legend and part charity ball Al's "Power of Love" glittered with stars. The evening sold out, filling 160 tables which cost attendess from $1,500 to $10,000 a plate; the crowd of over 2,000 included dignitaries and celebrities from the world of boxing, tennis, soccer, film, music, television and the culinary arts. The tribute included a Live Auction; one notable item was the gloves Ali wore when he defeated Floyd Patterson in Las Vegas in 1965, which sold for 1.1 million dollars.

David Beckham was one of the attendees at this event. So at least Beckham and Edwards move in the same circles and potentially know each other or know of each other, outside of soccer.

Speaking of Las Vegas:

quote:

Here's The Challenge That NFL, NHL, MLS And MSG In Las Vegas Would Present

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2016/05/27/heres-the-challenge-nfl-nhl-mls-and-msg-in-las-vegas-would-present/#77b329b24b6e

The city of Las Vegas currently has no major professional sports teams. But that may soon change.

The National Football League, National Hockey League and Major League Soccer have supporters eyeing Las Vegas as a potential host. NFL owners are supportive of the Oakland Raiders moving to Nevada. The NHL is thinking about putting an expansion team there. And David Beckham recently talked up having an MLS team in Las Vegas.

NFL is simply trolling again for free stadiums. MLS needs more than that: the demographics (ie middle class soccer moms and dads and kids, and 20-something/30-something hipsters with lots of spending money, etc) are not very good in Las Vegas. Las Vegas would be better off with a USL or NASL club, and build up the support organically and gradually rather than trying to parachute in a Beckham glamour club into Las Vegas and try to piggyback off of an NFL stadium. Las Vegas ain't Seattle or Atlanta. A Las Vegas Beckham MLS club has a lot of potential to fail spectacularly.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 28, 2016

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

USL group seeks to buy Nashville FC assets

DMD would acquire name, logo in exchange for stake a seat on DMD board

http://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/article/20781321/usl-group-seeks-to-buy-nashville-fc-assets

The group behind the effort to bring a United Soccer League team to Nashville has sent a letter of intent to acquire the assets of the city's existing soccer team.

DMD Soccer sent a letter today to Nashville FC, the supporter-owned team that competes in the National Premier Soccer League, saying it would like to purchase the name, logos and word marks of the team to use for a future USL franchise.

In exchange, Nashville FC would receive an ownership stake and a seat on the board of DMD, according to a message sent to Nashville FC members Friday morning by chairman Chris Ferrell.

quote:

USL group aims to buy Nashville FC

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2016/05/27/usl-group-aims-buy-nashville-football-club/85037754/

The organization working to bring a United Soccer League team to Nashville sent a letter of intent to acquire the assets of the city's existing soccer team.

On Friday, DMD Soccer, which was recently awarded a franchise by the USL — which is two tiers below Major League Soccer, the highest level of pro soccer in the United States — sent a letter to Nashville Football Club in an effort to purchase their name and logo to use for a future franchise.

Nashville FC, the city’s existing amateur team which was founded in 2013, competes in the National Premier Soccer League.

In the event that Nashville FC agrees to the terms, the organization would receive an ownership stake and a seat on DMD Soccer's board.

quote:

Footy in the 405: The Dramatic Birth of Professional Soccer in Oklahoma City

http://midfieldpress.com/2016/05/27/footy-in-the-405-the-dramatic-birth-of-professional-soccer-in-oklahoma-city/

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I just saw Rayo OKC logo for the first time and just what the duck.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Lladre posted:

I just saw Rayo OKC logo for the first time and just what the duck.

It's based off the Rayo Vallecano logo, which I believe has meaning behind it.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwW9h4tLjfA

MUFC 0-2 TBR

Joe Cole scores his first goal for the Rowdies. Knock on wood/fingers crossed; maybe the Rowdies are finally starting to jell as a team.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

Daser to start elite soccer club in Dalton

http://www.daltondailycitizen.com/sports/daser-to-start-elite-soccer-club-in-dalton/article_6631abc6-2606-11e6-a144-d3bbc39799f0.html

If the first year goes well, then an even greater challenge could be on the horizon. Daser hopes to begin an NPSL team in Dalton in summer 2017. The team would compete against Chattanooga FC, which lost in the NPSL national final in 2015, as well as the Atlanta Silverbacks and Georgia Revolution.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Joe Cole named Player of the Week:

http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news/2016/05/31/tampa-bay-rowdies-midfielder-joe-cole-named-nasl-player-of-the-week

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

CaptainYesterday posted:

It's based off the Rayo Vallecano logo, which I believe has meaning behind it.

Yeah it makes sort of sense since it's the same owner.
They did change the badge but not enough so that it still looks like Rayo's badge from a distance.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

CAN I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE.

This is awesome:

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/05/30/shreveport-new-orleans-soccer-seersucker-jersey-photo

That is all.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

Cincinnati’s Shiny New Toy

FC Cincinnati could be the pro soccer franchise that sticks in the Queen City

http://citybeat.com/cincinnati/article-35320-cincinnati%E2%80%99s.html

quote:

NBA All-Star And Puerto Rico FC Owner Carmelo Anthony Announces 'Clasico De Futbol' Featuring Puerto Rico Futbol Club Vs Puerto Rico National Team On June 11th In New York City

- Match Takes Place As Part Of The 59th Annual National Puerto Rican Day Parade Weekend -

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-300276911.html

quote:

Darnell King's winding career leads to Rowdies

http://cars.tampabay.com/sports/soccer/winding-career-leads-to-rowdies/2279841

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Carolina was tied 0-0 with Charlotte after regulation in their Open Cup game tonight. They went on to five goals in extra time :stare:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Carolina was tied 0-0 with Charlotte after regulation in their Open Cup game tonight. They went on to five goals in extra time :stare:

Sure hope there is some video of that. Must have been an epic collapse.

quote:

United Soccer League's Rhinos sign Shamrocks' standout Sean Reilly

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/irishvoice/United-Soccer-Leagues-Rhinos-sign-Shamrocks--standout-Sean-Reilly.html

One of Kevin Grogan’s plans when he took over as head coach of the New York Shamrocks Soccer Club was to recruit younger players. The goal: to create a more competitive team, one that would eventually return to the Division I level of the Cosmopolitan Soccer League.

quote:

GRFC is ready for step up in competition

http://www.wzzm13.com/sports/grfc-is-ready-for-step-up-in-competition/226605818

GRAND RAPIDS - After the challenge of starting a team from scratch last season, the new challenge for the Grand Rapids Football Club this year will be to keep up with competition as they jump from the lower level Great Lakes league to the National Premier Soccer League.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

Tampa Bay Rowdies balance Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, NASL ambitions

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/soccer/tampa-bay-rowdies-balance-lamar-hunt-us-open-cup-nasl-ambitions/2280250

quote:

David Beckham’s Miami Miasma: Inside His Stadium-Building Struggle

https://heatst.com/uk/david-beckhams-miami-miasma-inside-his-stadium-building-struggle/

Aside from my selfish desire to see Beckham team up with Edwards and take the Tampa Bay Rowdies to MLS, there's also the impact this has on the lower level teams in south Florida to consider. If Miami Beckham United never launches, MLS will not come back to south Florida for a good 5-10 years at least and that gives time to give Miami FC and Ft. Lauderdale Strikers some breathing room to build up their fan base and get some kind of long term stadium situation lined up. I think that this is probably the kind of long term grass roots building effort that is needed, rather than Beckham's glamour and glitter approach. Beckham is stubborn though so who knows how long this story will linger until he finally gets his stadium or gives up and moves on.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
You gotta wonder when MLS will just say 'gently caress it' and give some other city spot #24. It's not like soccer towns are in short supply!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

CaptainYesterday posted:

You gotta wonder when MLS will just say 'gently caress it' and give some other city spot #24. It's not like soccer towns are in short supply!

There was supposed to be a March deadline which MBU missed, then in April Garber was saying that he was confident that MBU would get their situation sorted out in time for Miami to join MLS on schedule for the 2018 season. Shortly after that the PSG investors MBU were courting pulled out, then in early May the story broke that MBU were balking at all of the conditions Dade County were putting on their land sale; plus heavy NIMBY displeasure in the Overtown area, etc. It's a clusterfuck and I have to think that if it weren't for the glitzy glamour and international name recognition of Miami, that Beckham would have looked elsewhere by now. But even Garber's patience has to run out some time. MBU called in Tim Leiweke to be their fixit man after the first couple of sites fell through; if I were him I'd be looking at other cities right about now.

In NASL, Rowdies beat Ottawa 2-1 at Al Lang. I was skeptical at first about the Joe Cole signing but he is turning out rather well. He still has plenty of hustle and his accurate passing has really improved the Rowdies offense. This is the first match he has been subbed out of (at about 77th minute) which is pretty impressive as he is not used to playing in this kind of heat and humidity. Both goals to Georgi Hristov; he has been doing quite well lately as well.

Strikers beat Cosmos at Lockhart, also 2-1, so Cosmos have not clinched Spring title yet.

• Locked thread