Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

awyeahz posted:

This is absolutely the best case scenario. But USSF will gently caress it up somehow!

https://twitter.com/AndreT_NY/status/804074463218298880

Yeah. :smith:

I wanna name my hypothetical USL D3 league after the old North American Soccer Football League (NASFL), the NASL's older, littler brother.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Soccer_Football_League

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
#letgarydebate

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

So, it was an "historic announcement"; now it is the "biggest announcement in team history".

It damned well better be; don't get my hopes up like this without delivering. :mad:

Why the change? Wondering if my mind control rays actually worked. :ninja:

quote:

https://www.facebook.com/TampaBayRowdies/photos/a.442996013834.230638.109366663834/10155483219503835/?type=3&theater

Tampa Bay Rowdies

Biggest Announcement in team history.

Tuesday, December 6, 6pm.

The Birchwood - Grand Ballroom.

Tampa Bay Rowdies

December 2 ·

IMPORTANT: We are no longer accepting RSVPs for Tuesday's event at The Birchwood. If you've already RSVP'd, you should have received a confirmation email earlier this week.

We'll see you on Tuesday, December 6! Doors at The Birchwood will open at 5:30pm, with the event starting at 6pm.
Meanwhile this mess continues....

quote:

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/12/03/nasl-new-york-cosmos-future-us-soccer-usl-meetings

Complications, uncertainty aplenty for future of NASL, Cosmos, USL entering key meetings

http://www.thisiscosmoscountry.com/new-york-cosmos/furloughs-continue-but-interest-exists-in-ownership-of-new-york-cosmos/

Furloughs continue, but interest exists in ownership of New York Cosmos

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 5, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Do over Ham posted:

So, it was an "historic announcement"; now it is the "biggest announcement in team history".

It damned well better be; don't get my hopes up like this without delivering. :mad:

Why the change? Wondering if my mind control rays actually worked. :ninja:

Meanwhile this mess continues....
Part of me wonders if Sunil will say gently caress it and establish a permanent D2 run by the USSF.

Yes, the NASL is unstable, but the USL Pro league has typically seen a couple of teams a year go bust, and this year is no exception (Wilmington, Harrisburg). They're only where they are because they've been expanding as fast as teams have been leaving, and they got about a dozen MLS orgs to plunk reserve teams in their league. On top of that, the NASL and USL have been sniping back and forth going on seven years now. ON TOP OF THAT, you have the USL basically bribing lower-division teams to leave their setups and join their amateur D4 league, which is...well I don't know what it is but the last thing we need is loving amateur soccer going through this poo poo too.

Everything below MLS is a gigantic pile of poo poo right now, and if this was a country that actually cared about soccer a lot more people would be disgusted.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Crazy Ted posted:

Yes, the NASL is unstable, but the USL Pro league has typically seen a couple of teams a year go bust, and this year is no exception (Wilmington, Harrisburg).

Harrisburg hasn't had any issues that I'm aware of?

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Part of me wonders if Sunil will say gently caress it and establish a permanent D2 run by the USSF.

Yes, the NASL is unstable, but the USL Pro league has typically seen a couple of teams a year go bust, and this year is no exception (Wilmington, Harrisburg). They're only where they are because they've been expanding as fast as teams have been leaving, and they got about a dozen MLS orgs to plunk reserve teams in their league. On top of that, the NASL and USL have been sniping back and forth going on seven years now. ON TOP OF THAT, you have the USL basically bribing lower-division teams to leave their setups and join their amateur D4 league, which is...well I don't know what it is but the last thing we need is loving amateur soccer going through this poo poo too.

Everything below MLS is a gigantic pile of poo poo right now, and if this was a country that actually cared about soccer a lot more people would be disgusted.

quote:

http://fiftyfive.one/2016/12/source-nasl-four-teams-future-bleak/

Source: NASL Down to Four Teams, Future Bleak

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/the-end-cosmos-terminate-all-player-contracts-56098/

The End: Cosmos terminate all player contracts

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2016/12/5/13777952/new-york-cosmos-out-of-business-nasl-usa-soccer-second-division-usl

The New York Cosmos are closing up shop, and they’re taking NASL with them

"The four teams are believed to be Rayo OKC, Fort Lauderdale, New York, and FC Edmonton."

Of those, only the Eddies are still viable; you would think that they would at least want to play in USL in 2017 while waiting for the CPL to start up, if it does start up, in 2018. I don't know why they aren't following Ottawa's lead at this point.

The other NASL teams are, I guess, in talks with USL but there's no guarantee that USL will vet them and let them in.

Also one of the potential Cosmos buyers apparently only wants to buy them for the trademarks so they can sell retro Cosmos gear to hipsters, or something. That's pathetic; hopefully they can find a buyer who actually wants to field a team.

Maybe when NASL is all done USL will buy the trademark and we can have the NASL brand live on within USL; USL has collected a few dead league names before (ie, MISL) so why not. They are definitely in vulture mode right now. Had NASL talked merger seriously a few years ago things might have been different, but NASL got delusions of grandeur when the Cosmos joined and that was fatal.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 6, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

camoseven posted:

Harrisburg hasn't had any issues that I'm aware of?
I thought I'd read that Harrisburg was moving to the PDL now that they're no longer the Philadelphia D3 affiliate. But I was wrong, as it turns out. However, Montreal Impact announced today that they're shuttering FC Montreal, so you still have two teams leaving.

EDIT: Haven't heard/seen a thing about the Cosmos being sold for branding purposes, and I follow pretty much every Twitter account that posts breaking lower league news. You sure about that? I'm curious where you saw that rumor.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 6, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This pretty much makes it official:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FlagshipFooty/status/805945799234428929

Every NASL team, even the Cosmos should they be sold to a serious owner, will be able to move over to the new D2 version of the USL.

I shouldn't hate this as much as I do, but I started following soccer in the mid-to-late 90's when it was becoming obvious that the USL was basically a glorified ponzi scheme that provided absolutely no benefits to its member clubs or the players in its leagues. To see them become the driving force for the game outside of MLS once again is just...I don't like it.

I mean...this was an organization that once mandated that teams play Friday/Sunday road trips in order to save some travel money, and occasionally they'd even schedule teams to play on consecutive nights. Whether the players had to do this on FieldTurf didn't matter.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 6, 2016

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

EDIT: Haven't heard/seen a thing about the Cosmos being sold for branding purposes, and I follow pretty much every Twitter account that posts breaking lower league news. You sure about that? I'm curious where you saw that rumor.

It's mentioned in one of the articles I linked to.

quote:

http://fiftyfive.one/2016/12/source-nasl-four-teams-future-bleak/

Michael Lewis of Big Apple Soccer reported on Sunday that the Cosmos had “ceased operations.” He also said a group had been in negotiations with a New York group to purchase the team. There seems to be some speculation that those interested in the Cosmos may want it for the name only.

It's speculation but it wouldn't surprise me in the least; the Cosmos were basically a marketing exercise without a team prior to the current ownership.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 6, 2016

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

This pretty much makes it official:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FlagshipFooty/status/805945799234428929

Every NASL team, even the Cosmos should they be sold to a serious owner, will be able to move over to the new D2 version of the USL.

I shouldn't hate this as much as I do, but I started following soccer in the mid-to-late 90's when it was becoming obvious that the USL was basically a glorified ponzi scheme that provided absolutely no benefits to its member clubs or the players in its leagues. To see them become the driving force for the game outside of MLS once again is just...I don't like it.

I mean...this was an organization that once mandated that teams play Friday/Sunday road trips in order to save some travel money, and occasionally they'd even schedule teams to play on consecutive nights. Whether the players had to do this on FieldTurf didn't matter.

Is the USL not a little bit more trustworthy now that they've got MLS breathing down their necks? Legitimate question, I don't know much about the subject.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nostradingus posted:

Is the USL not a little bit more trustworthy now that they've got MLS breathing down their necks? Legitimate question, I don't know much about the subject.
I don't know. All I know is that the reason why we have D2 and D3 standards set by the USSF now is that the USL completely hosed up lower-tier soccer in the US in the first place - enough so that half of its D2 teams in 2009 were willing to face lawsuits in order to leave the league and create the NASL. The Atlanta Silverbacks were actually ready to shut down its pro team rather than play for one more year in a USL-run league.

Now they get to reap the more secure benefits of a structure that was created thanks in no small part to their arrogance and ineptitude.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 6, 2016

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

I supported the TOA, at the time, and the breakaway to form the NASL, for the same reasons Ted gives. But, things have changed a bit since then.

Interview with USL president Jake Edwards makes for interesting listening:

http://www.theunsubs.com/wp/2016/11/16/episode-97-usl-president-jake-edwards/2425

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Oh well that's what I get for getting my hopes up.

Still at least now it is officially a thing from Bill Edwards himself, and not just dark hints of MLS ambitions second hand from friends of Bill Edwards.

quote:

http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news_article/show/731054?referrer_id=2824806

Rowdies Launch #MLS2StPete Campaign to Join Major League Soccer

By Rowdies Communications, 12/06/16, 6:00PM EST

Plan Includes Privately Funded Renovation and Expansion of Al Lang Stadium

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (December 6, 2016) – The Tampa Bay Rowdies unveiled #MLS2StPete on Tuesday, a campaign to drive local support to show Major League Soccer (MLS) that the club is ready to be the next expansion team. The campaign also includes a privately funded renovation and expansion plan for Al Lang Stadium.

To learn how fans can support the campaign and to view the renderings of the proposed renovations to Al Lang Stadium, visit MLS2StPete.com.

“We are committed to expanding the world’s game right here in downtown St. Petersburg, and we feel strongly that joining Major League Soccer is the next logical step,” said Rowdies Chairman & CEO Bill Edwards. “We have met with MLS executives, including Commissioner Don Garber, and it is clear that they are looking at cities that have demonstrated their support for soccer via season ticket memberships, single game ticket sales and sponsorships.”

The Rowdies were the first professional sports franchise in Tampa Bay and over the last 41 years the team has undergone multiple changes, but none as dramatic as what has taken place over the last few years.

“Major League Soccer is watched all over the world,” commented Edwards. “This move will bring national and international exposure to St. Petersburg, while also boosting tourism in the area. Bringing Major League Soccer to St. Petersburg will be a great economic driver for the entire region, and will serve as another platform to unify fans on both sides of the bay."

Leading stadium planners and architects ICON Venue Group and Populous have studied the region, the city and the Al Lang Stadium site and have developed a concept that provides a world-class soccer experience, while maintaining the scale and character of the downtown waterfront.The concept is consistent with, and contemplated by, the Waterfront Master Plan developed by the community and approved by the city.

Edwards added, “We need the people of St. Petersburg, Tampa, Clearwater, Brandon, Sarasota, Bradenton and our entire region to get behind this effort. We need to show MLS leadership that we are the next great MLS city!”

Fans can show their support for #MLS2StPete by purchasing 2017 season tickets. Call (727)222-2000 or click here to secure your seats for the upcoming season.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Pics of the expanded Al Lang concept.

I sat in the upper rows of the old baseball stands on the harbor side at a Rowdies game a few years ago; the light poles there block the view of the Mahaffey end goal. They really need to think about moving those light poles out of the way if this is the plan they end up going with.

Also they appear to have removed the berm, which would allow the northern goal line and northern (harbor side) touch line to be moved closer in to the old baseball stands. However, the roofs of the baseball dugouts would get in the way of the site lines; I'd remove the dugouts and put seats in there as well, maybe leave the dugout tunnels in place for field access, but otherwise improve the site lines so you can have the goal lines and touch lines as close as possible to the stands.

Also the southern, Mahaffey end stands are built out over the Mahaffey Theater parking lot spots behind the theater; no idea from these pics whether the theater rear parking lot spots remain underneath the stands, or whether the stands have replaced the rear parking lot spots entirely. I guess if these pics are an accurate representation, then that means those rear parking spots are gone. The wild Indian ringneck parakeets will miss the trees that are there now (behind the Mahaffey end goal), trees that they like to roost in of an evening (squawk!).

Looks nice but this setup will not be expandable; it will be stuck at 18,000. Tearing down the existing Al Lang stadium and reorienting the field would allow for a bigger SSS on the existing property.

Also....

quote:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/soccer/carolina-railhawks/article119158803.html

RailHawks (now North Carolina F.C.) have new name, plan for MLS bid, stadium

Headline is a little misleading: "Malik, 51, said there are eight sites he’s considering for a new seat stadium, which could cost $150 million, but didn’t hint as to where."

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 7, 2016

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
i love a good render

also the pendulum seems to be swinging toward Everybody To USL

https://twitter.com/NipunChopra7/status/806315823216336900

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

awyeahz posted:

i love a good render

This makes sense. USSF should definitely do everything it can to avoid viable teams having to sit out 2017. If that means twisting USL's arm a bit so much the better. If USL wants to be D2, it can't be allowed to deny D2-worthy teams out of sheer spite.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Also, me like:

Edit to add. Another view of expanded Al Lang:

Edit again. One more:

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 7, 2016

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

awyeahz posted:

i love a good render

Indy seems like a good fit for the USL: good support, instant rivalries with Louisville/Cincy/STL, and they seem like a well-managed outfit.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
This was my favorite part of #MLS2STPETE

https://twitter.com/6thsoccer/status/806282958365659136

EDIT: Also with all of the hype for #MLS2CINCY I don't see it happening with the next expansion, which is very sad because I think the city thought we could get in just due to the hype and amount of attendance.... Here's to hoping the excitment doesn't wear off this next season.. Especially with losing Sean Okoli to MLS.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

We have a similar problem in Pittsburgh except the ball either hits a train or flies into the river. "Problem" is maybe not the right word, it owns.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

It came out last night that Sunil Gulati is delaying the D2/D3 sanctioning decisions for a week. Now, this morning it came out that this is in part because the USL apparently only wants to take 3-4 of the NASL teams and let the rest fail, and the USSF isn't sure what to do.

You know, if Papadakis and company gently caress around enough they just might see the USSF tell them to gently caress off and then run its own D2 league again. The last piece of info I saw on the matter stated that USSF HQ is thinking about telling the USL that they're just going to have to shut and be happy with D3 if they refuse to take any NASL teams, and they'll use the presence of the 10-11 MLS2 teams as justification for the refusal of D2 sanctioning.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 7, 2016

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
those 3-4 teams would be the former NASL going concerns Indy Eleven, North Carolina Railhawks FC, Jacksonville Armada and SF Deltas I guess. Which would add 3 teams to the already 14 team USL Eastern Conference (FC Montreal is gone, Ottawa Fury will be Impact de Montreal FC's affiliate). I personally believe it will work out like that, USL becomes Div 2 and keeps its geographical conferences. HOWEVER

if the ussf really does care about not having reserve teams in div 2 you could separate usl into vertical divisions, i.e.:

USL 1
fc cincinnati
harrisburg city islanders
louisville
tb rowdies
indy eleven
ncfc
jax
colorado springs switchbacks fc
phoenix rising! fc
sac rep
san antonio spurs fc
and tulsa roughnecks (if they are still a thing idk I heard it's not going well.)

and then USL2 is all the reserve and affiliate teams. no pro/rel cause gently caress you

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
i like this solution because it benefits my team the most. Also it ignores the biggest selling points of USL, reduced travel costs and the opportunity for younger players to play in front of MLS scouts. It just makes a nicer NASL basically

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

fyallm posted:

This was my favorite part of #MLS2STPETE

https://twitter.com/6thsoccer/status/806282958365659136

EDIT: Also with all of the hype for #MLS2CINCY I don't see it happening with the next expansion, which is very sad because I think the city thought we could get in just due to the hype and amount of attendance.... Here's to hoping the excitment doesn't wear off this next season.. Especially with losing Sean Okoli to MLS.

wicka posted:

We have a similar problem in Pittsburgh except the ball either hits a train or flies into the river. "Problem" is maybe not the right word, it owns.
Part of me really wants this particular stadium plan in St. Pete to happen because it would be very bizarre and unique; part of me wants them to tear the old Al Lang Stadium baseball stands down and reorient the field and build a proper SSS on the site, like any sane person would do.

I suspect Bill Edwards is putting this particular plan forward because it doesn't involve tearing Al Lang Stadium down and could be done quickly and cheaply; but once the extended lease referendum passes in St. Pete they'll suddenly discover that they actually want to tear down Al Lang and spend more money for a properly oriented SSS. No matter how many times you tell the voters that no city or country money will be spent on the stadium, there's always going to be a certain percentage of idiots who will insist that they will be personally taxed for the full price of the stadium. So, better to say publicly that it will cost only $80 million, not $200 million, because all some people will hear is how much it will cost, and not that the Rowdies owners will pay for all of it. So keep the initial price low.

(And there is a tall fence/barrier along the harbor side, left over from the Al Lang Stadium baseball era, so I don't think that too many soccer balls actually get kicked over it and land in the road or the water.)

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 8, 2016

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Austin update: still a part of the USL, but as majority investor Bobby Epstein says, "no stadium, no team".

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Former Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 head coach, Alan Koch, has signed on with the FC Cincinnati staff as the Director of Scouting and Analytics and will also serve as an assistant coach.

A Head coach of MLS 2 side to our scouting director and head of analytics seems to be a powerful statement for FCC..... If we were a MLS side that makes sense, but for him to "step back" into a USL club shows the potential FCC organization has. Excellent grab by FCC, I would love to be in the analytics department and see "The numbers game" from inside.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

fyallm posted:

Former Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 head coach, Alan Koch, has signed on with the FC Cincinnati staff as the Director of Scouting and Analytics and will also serve as an assistant coach.

A Head coach of MLS 2 side to our scouting director and head of analytics seems to be a powerful statement for FCC..... If we were a MLS side that makes sense, but for him to "step back" into a USL club shows the potential FCC organization has. Excellent grab by FCC, I would love to be in the analytics department and see "The numbers game" from inside.
Well given that Cincy averaged 13,000 a home game last year they can probably afford to spend quite a bit more than the usual USL organization.

Also, Empire of Soccer reported that Jacksonville let all of their players go in preparation of possibly ceasing operations. Which turned out to be completely false, as a few hours later the team only announced that it had declined contract options on four players and let a fifth go because it was the end of his contract.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Latest word is that USSF will make sanctioning decision by end of the week; the NASL will keep its D2 status if they have eight teams.

Rocco B. Commisso is rumored to be the buyer of the New York Cosmos, provided NASL keeps its D2 status.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocco_B._Commisso

Bill Edwards has hired two guys who were formerly with Orlando City who helped get them into MLS:

quote:

Rowdies add key former Orlando execs – with eyes on MLS

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/rowdies-add-key-former-orlando-execs-with-eyes-on-mls-56738/

Cincinnati interview with Bill Edwards; good chance for Tampa Bay Rowdies to get into MLS; unnamed group of local investors lined up with Bill Edwards for the MLS bid.

Bill Edwards has officially put out the word that he is open to talking to David Beckam if he is interested; so it's not just me with this idea anymore:

quote:

Rowdies Contacted David Beckham About Possibly Partnering in Tampa Bay

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/rowdies-contacted-david-beckham-about-possibly-partnering-in-tampa-bay-56741/

quote:

Report: Rowdies reach out to Beckham, hire Orlando City executives

http://sbisoccer.com/2017/01/report-rowdies-contact-beckham-hire-orlando-city-executives

St. Pete mayor on the Al Lang Stadium expansion for MLS:

quote:

Kriseman: Rowdies MLS proposal a better fit for St. Petersburg waterfront

http://www.tampabay.com/news/growth/kriseman-rowdies-mls-proposal-a-better-fit-for-st-petersburg-waterfront/2308396

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 5, 2017

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
you guys are not gonna believe what's going down in the us second division

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/817551684414996480

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

awyeahz posted:

Just merge them and spin the MLS reserve clubs off into a third tier reserve league.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

wicka posted:

Just merge them and spin the MLS reserve clubs off into a third tier reserve league.

This.

USL is better or equal to any NASL I've seen. They're redundant.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

awyeahz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYeAu71rHdE

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

awyeahz posted:

God bless this stupid sport in this stupid country.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
USL Conferences
https://twitter.com/USL/status/818525978364444672
https://twitter.com/USL/status/818527989797441536
https://twitter.com/EdwardsUSL/status/818531579614130177

NASL 2017 Map
https://twitter.com/kivlehan/status/818116380574777345

and bill peterson is out as NASL commish lmao

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I see Rayo OKC is no more. Eh, that's what happens when you enter a small market that already has a team!

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

wicka posted:

Yes that would be the logical thing to do if the USL and NASL didn't have a long running feud, the origins of which are no longer relevant.

Maybe the new Cosmos owner will tip the balance within NASL ownership, and NASL will use 2017 as a chance to negotiate a proper merger with USL for 2018 and beyond (instead of what they did late in 2016, trying to do an emergency last minute merger with USL out of sheer desperation, when USL was hoping to kill off NASL entirely and simply absorb a few of the NASL clubs that USL wanted).

NASL is already considerably humbler in its public statements now that Bill Peterson and the old Cosmos and Strikers owners are gone so maybe something will happen.

For D3 to be viable you wouldn't want it to just be an MLS reserve league though; there are still a few USL clubs who aren't MLS reserve teams who don't qualify for D2 or who don't really want to be in, or care about, D2, who could fill out a D3 league.

I'd love to see NASL and USL merge; USL would actually be running things, of course, as they are the stronger league and as they actually have a much better central organization now than NASL does (NASL is still just barely semi-organized chaos while USL has upped its game considerably since 2010).

But in such a merger we could save the NASL name and legacy (Soccer Bowl, etc.) as the USL D2 league; if it were up to me I'd also name the USL D3 league after the old NASFL just for the sake of historical nostalgia and the similarity of names to the NASL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Soccer_Football_League

foobardog posted:

God bless this stupid sport in this stupid country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbJ4yzA854A

God bless the USSF and their Solomon-like wisdom.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I see Rayo OKC is no more. Eh, that's what happens when you enter a small market that already has a team!

True but a bit more immediately due to Rayo's troubles back in Spain; but that's why US soccer leagues should not let foreign clubs set up a local club in their league; Chivas USA, California Victory...other examples spring to mind.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 11, 2017

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Is Seattle 2 ever going to get a real badge, or are they just going to stick with that lazy placeholder for another year

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Went to my first board meeting for our supporters group of the local PDL club last night. Learned so much about the club and it's history because the manager of our team (who helped found the supporters group initially, but has since sold out to bigger business interests in an effort to grow the club) sent a pretty heavy handed email to our president telling him to step up. The rest of the board was pretty offended that he would try to leverage our volunteer based organization to drum up support for his club.

All in all, I had a lot of fun. I think there's a lot of things I can do to help the group so I'm excited to be a bigger part of local soccer.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
FC Cincinnati signed Louisville's captain. That makes 2 Louisville players signed onto FCC. Haha they are so mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
this is my team now. the pride of springdale arkansas
https://twitter.com/ozarkfc/status/823679263710834688

• Locked thread