Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I would love to see pro/rel between divisions 2 and 3. It would introduce the concept to idiot Americans and would lend some gravitas to lower-division competitions. but I don't think MLS is ready for it and NASL and USL hate each other too much to let it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Pro/rel doesn't even have to stop MLS from expanding. Relegate one team and promote two every year and presto :downs:

The idea of relegation would scare the poo poo out of potential owners and moron American Chelsea fans. MLS is still a niche sport and I don't think it would be good to scare off what few fairweather fans there are

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I honestly hope Garber makes it clear that he wants x number of teams in MLS several years before the expansion is announced. Having a finite and known number of available expansion places would be good for competition and improvement in the lower leagues, I think. Makes it obvious who wants it most and who's capable of creating and sustaining enthusiasm.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

This pretty much makes it official:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FlagshipFooty/status/805945799234428929

Every NASL team, even the Cosmos should they be sold to a serious owner, will be able to move over to the new D2 version of the USL.

I shouldn't hate this as much as I do, but I started following soccer in the mid-to-late 90's when it was becoming obvious that the USL was basically a glorified ponzi scheme that provided absolutely no benefits to its member clubs or the players in its leagues. To see them become the driving force for the game outside of MLS once again is just...I don't like it.

I mean...this was an organization that once mandated that teams play Friday/Sunday road trips in order to save some travel money, and occasionally they'd even schedule teams to play on consecutive nights. Whether the players had to do this on FieldTurf didn't matter.

Is the USL not a little bit more trustworthy now that they've got MLS breathing down their necks? Legitimate question, I don't know much about the subject.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Is Seattle 2 ever going to get a real badge, or are they just going to stick with that lazy placeholder for another year

• Locked thread