Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

be nice wicka posted:

regardless, they include one free beer at every match with season tickets, which is a pretty slick deal

STL FC did a number of these deals (the best was a GA ticket, bratwurst and beer for $17) last year, which made watching a very mediocre team much easier.

(It's not like they needed to do this to boost attendance, either.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Saint Louis FC is continuing their proud tradition of doing fairly well away (yesterday they went to Sacto and won 1-0, with our MLS-loanee goalkeeper apparently putting in a massive shift) and yet playing like utter crap at home (I went to the home opener last weekend with a hockey buddy of mine who has season tickets, only to see a dreadful 0-0 draw with Tulsa). But they're still getting really good crowds (I've been told they have 3,000 season subscriptions in a 5,500 seat stadium, and that sellouts will likely be the norm this year), have absurd amounts of corporate sponsorships, and honestly I'd prefer staying where we are right now to being part of a pyramid scheme MLS.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Saint Louis FC names Preki as their coach

This could actually work out well: he has a good track record, plus he can be a big bridge to the large ex-Yugoslavian community in St Louis.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Do over Ham posted:

Last Thursday morning we were treated to a couple of mysterious posts on Facebook from the Ralph's Mob president and vice-president.

Then a Facebook post that Thursday afternoon about a meeting that they had with Bill Edwards.

Then on Friday, hush hush, a statement coming soon, but then nothing.

Now on Monday morning, a statement on Ralph's Mob Facebook page about "exciting news" coming soon but it will be dealt out piecemeal over the next few days, so as not to overstimulate us; for the time being an announcement about the Ralph's Mob holiday party.

This is quite the tease. This drat well better be big news and not something stupid like a new supporters group code of conduct or something else I don't care about. :mad:

I'm pretty sure Bill Edwards is making his public case for Rowdies joining MLS, soon, whereas to date he has kept his MLS ambitions quiet and low key. If so this will be an important change. Apparently he is even expanding Al Lang to close to 10,000 seats for the upcoming Florida Cup tournament. So presumably he will be marketing and promoting the Rowdies more in 2017 as well, to fill those extra seats and get the average attendance up.

I won't speculate any further as no one has really supplied any actual hints or info yet about what is going on.

In entirely unrelated news, last Thursday was also when a mysterious group of new potential investors in the Miami Beckham United project had a meeting with the Mayor of Miami-Dade County. Apparently the previous potential investor, Wesley Edens, last mentioned back in June, is no longer interested in investing in MBU. So these new potential investors are the third group we actually know about (the other being PSG who turned MBU down early this year); no idea how long Wesley Edens has been out of the picture, as MBU has been on radio silence since June.

And speaking of PSG one of their subsidiaries in the south Florida area had mentioned interest in buying the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers a while back, but nothing has been heard on that front for a while either.

What a time to be alive. :allears:

In related "lower leagues to MLS" news: St Louis unveiled plans for a 20,000 (expandable to 28k) seat stadium near Union Station on the edge of downtown. Already there's been controversy, since it's not all private funds and STL city leaders are in little to no mood to spend money on a stadium after the Rams debacle unless they aren't the only ones spending public funds on the project--and there's been no requests for funding from STL County or other neighboring counties.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

awyeahz posted:

i love a good render

also the pendulum seems to be swinging toward Everybody To USL

https://twitter.com/NipunChopra7/status/806315823216336900

Indy seems like a good fit for the USL: good support, instant rivalries with Louisville/Cincy/STL, and they seem like a well-managed outfit.

• Locked thread