Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

wicka posted:

definitely all of them have MLS "plans." the hounds have a 3500 seat stadium, one of the stands is temporary, we average like 1600 fans a game, yet they have draft plans to expand on their current footprint to 18,500 and join MLS within ten years...

I wonder which city in the world has the worst total population to stadium size ratio. Charleston only has ~120,000 people in it. In order to fill a 20,000 seat stadium, 16% of the entire city would have to be at that game. Even if you factor in the whole metro area, which is about 550,000 people, the stadium seats about 4% of the city's population. Expecting that high a level of interest and involvement doesn't seem reasonable. (Pittsburgh filling an 18,500-seater would only be 0.7% of the population.)

The actual worst population-to-stadium ratio might be Villarreal, which has a 25,000-seat stadium in a ~225,000-person metro area.

Like, we all know instinctively that Charleston and El Paso are way too small to have MLS teams, but when you start looking at just what "way too small" means in the context of filling a stadium, it really gets sobering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

wicka posted:

i think the best way to do it would be for MLS to stop at 24 teams or whatever, merge with NASL/USL, and then start investing in developing a second division. once the second division is stable in the way MLS is, start promoting/relegating teams. but you are never going to second a second division to that level unless you explicitly say "this WILL be a path to the top."

Pro/rel doesn't even have to stop MLS from expanding. Relegate one team and promote two every year and presto :downs:

• Locked thread