Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Do over Ham posted:

Reserve team and maybe a few bench warmers from the first team.

It's still pretty cool, and I hope they stream the matches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Hello Towel posted:

A small minority of Fire fans are going crazy with anger over the announced NASL team in Chicago.

I'm not going to switch my allegiance, but I hope they can get their stuff figured out. They're going to have a hell of a time finding somewhere to play in the city that's got a capacity of over ~2,000 and isn't Soldier Field.

You might have seen it already, but here's an interesting article in which Peter Wilt talks about the stadium situation, says the NASL team will probably play at Soldier Field for 3 years, and pretty much blames the Fire's owners for not being willing to pay for a stadium in the city. Money quote:

quote:

“In this case, the Chicago NASL, our investors recognize that it will take a largely private commitment to build a stadium, and with that, if (former Fire owners) AEG had that same willingness 12 years ago, the Fire’s stadium would be in the city. It’s obviously easier to get a stadium built that is largely privately funded.”

Also, I would love to see some of the internet rage from Fire fans about the NASL team. Why are they mad??

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Crazy Ted posted:

Chicago's big enough to have a well-supported minor league soccer team as well as an MLS team, even if the MLS team doesn't suck. I don't get the Soldier Field thing either, but yeah I'm not going to question Peter Wilt.

The other options on their survey were Wrigley or the Cell, and I think Solider Field is definitely better than playing in a baseball stadium. I'm not really sure where else they could play in the city limits, unless they wanted to play at a university or high school. That would require installing seating, and possibly having weird rules about alcohol.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
A group of us Indy Eleven fans drove the 24 hour round trip out to Oklahoma City for the game vs Rayo. We won, we dropped smoke, we got on TV, and it was amazing. Rayo are a good team, but their stadium is soooo far outside the city. On the bright side, the threats of arresting people for tailgating and only being able to sell 3.2% beer weren't carried out.

Support your local club, y'all!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

fyallm posted:

On a different note, FC Cincinnati is now cold calling people who bought tickets before online and haven't bought again... Not a good sign for beating that record

Every sports team does that all the time, though

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Do over Ham posted:

Strikers beat Cosmos at Lockhart, also 2-1, so Cosmos have not clinched Spring title yet.

Strikers did their part, but every other team in contention hosed up and failed to win today. So the Cosmos win the title unless Indy can beat Carolina by 4 next week, or the Rowdies or Strikers win by even more absurd margins.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Whoaaa I just found out that PC went to the Rowdies. What the gently caress is going on in Ft. Lauderdale? At this point I'd honestly be surprised if they were around next season.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The Bohemians played in Bel Air this year (which is really far from Baltimore), and the PDL is not a pro league. We also have the Blast (a pro(?!) indoor team), and some kind of semi-pro futsal team that plays in the county.

It sucks that Wilmington is losing their team, but Baltimore badly needs a pro outdoor soccer team. I don't really care whether it's USL or NASL, or if it's some greedy owner moving their team here from another city. I'm mad that Under Armour owns like half the city and is the kit sponsor of a bunch of big teams (and the ball sponsor of the NASL!), but somehow we don't have a team of our own. Somebody needs to make it happen!!!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Do over Ham posted:

Wilmington is moving to Baltimore to play in the PDL, though. So Baltimore isn't getting a pro outdoor team from this.

No one knows what division they're going to play in yet, and Goff has been hearing rumors that they'll stay in the USL.

e: and I can't find the article now, but I read somewhere that there is going to be a PDL club with the Hammerheads name staying in Wilmington. That was way back when these rumors first started, though, so maybe plans have changed or I'm misremembering. e2: oh and Goff mentions it in his article, too.

camoseven fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 26, 2016

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I am at the NASL final right now, and this is the biggest joke of a stadium I've ever been to. 2,300 max capacity, no beer, they had to bring in concession stands cause they don't have any normally. Portapotties everywhere.

Also I am going to die if Indy don't win. This is extremely stressful.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
gently caress the Cosmos

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Crazy Ted posted:

Yes, the NASL is unstable, but the USL Pro league has typically seen a couple of teams a year go bust, and this year is no exception (Wilmington, Harrisburg).

Harrisburg hasn't had any issues that I'm aware of?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The Cosmos will be playing at MCU park in Brooklyn this year. Seems like it should be waaaay better than Hofstra.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Lladre posted:

It's not. It's a baseball field.

Sure, but Hoftra wasn't on public transit, couldn't serve beer outside the beer garden (from which you couldn't see the field!), and I'm pretty sure it was all bleacher seating. And it had lacrosse lines and poo poo all over the field!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I'm pretty sure MCU Park is 100% turf, like even the basepaths are turf. Turf isn't amazing for soccer, but it does mean that other uses won't rip up the field, at least. And Hofstra was turf, so it won't be a downgrade in that respect.

e: And I get that having a soccer specific stadium would be ideal, but the two Cosmos games I went to were at the two worst sporting venues I've ever been to (one at Hofstra, and then one at the absolute loving disgrace of a championship at loving Belson gently caress I'm still mad). MCU Park seems like a huge, huge upgrade over both of those.

camoseven fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 3, 2017

• Locked thread